Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.
Default Better Pro Prospect: Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin?

I've had the opportunity to watch a little bit of West Virginia this year and love they're offense. Who do you guys think will be the better player at the next level Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin. Obviously Bailey looks the part more than Austin, but Tavon is one explosive dude. With NFL teams moving towards smaller faster players do you think Austin may have a chance of outperforming Bailey. It seems like in the past the NFL was all about polished receivers that are polished route runners, excellent hands, etc. but I have started to see a trend of less polished receivers becoming exceptional play makers in the NFL. Starting to see more drag routes and screens. Prime example is Mike Wallace, not a great route runner nor does he have exceptional hands, but obviously has that blazing speed.
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I prefer Tavon Austin...

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Tavon Austin more he reminds me so much of Percy Harvin.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.

I like Tavon Austin, but I have some questions with his top end speed and route running ability. I don't think you can compare him to Percy because I think Percy is bigger and faster, but I could be wrong.
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stedman Bailey. He's money on the skinny post/slant at the goalline.

Tavon Austin is more like Jerrel Jernigan and TY Hilton. I don't see Harvin's power in Austin.

norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bailey is a much better route runner and pure WR IMO. Austin is a better athlete and is a little better when it comes to YAC but he relies a lot on the streak and his speed. Austin is Harvin-Like. If I was going for potential and who will probably be better down the road its probably Austin. However as of right now its Bailey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Austin really better than say ... Ace Sanders?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Is Austin really better than say ... Ace Sanders?
Yes. Austin is a good bit faster than Ace (I'd say about 1/8 seconds faster). He's a much more polished WR. I don't know that Ace is even draftable, while Austin is a Day 2 pick (and probably 2nd round).
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Austin. I think the comparison to TY Hilton is pretty good, although I would say that Austin has better field vision than Hilton. In the open field he kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson. I think his great vision will also help him limit his injuries at the next level.

Ace Sanders reminds me a lot of Dante Hall. Super quick, short steps that can stop and start on a dime, and get to full speed like that, but no "special" gear.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tavon Austin...

We are all witnesses. (well some of us)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Tavon Austin...

We are all witnesses. (well some of us)
4 recs, 81 yards + 22 car, 345 yards, 2 TDs + 7 KRs, 135 yards.

Ri. Dic. U. Lous.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bailey was overshadowed tonight

13 for 205 4tds

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd bet on Bailey to go higher in the draft.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I wouldn't. Tavon Austin can do it all, while Bailey's mostly an undersized receiver with speed to spare but inconsistent hands. I'm taking Tavon Austin over Bailey all day.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I wouldn't. Tavon Austin can do it all, while Bailey's mostly an undersized receiver with speed to spare but inconsistent hands. I'm taking Tavon Austin over Bailey all day.
Me neither. Stedman's had a hell of a year and in theory is more capable of being a starter on the outside but skillset wise, he doesn't really have any special qualities that set him apart. Tavon on the other hand most certainly does and the value of the slot WR is ever increasing.

Can you imagine if the Pats took Tavon to replace Welker....
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Me neither. Stedman's had a hell of a year and in theory is more capable of being a starter on the outside but skillset wise, he doesn't really have any special qualities that set him apart. Tavon on the other hand most certainly does and the value of the slot WR is ever increasing.

Can you imagine if the Pats took Tavon to replace Welker....
It's funny how everyone thinks you can just replace Welker. The guy has had 4 seasons of over 110 receptions and gone over 1,100 yards in a season 4 times... On pace this year for 117 and 1,400.

I'm sorry but Tavon should pray to god he becomes the player Wes is.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
It's funny how everyone thinks you can just replace Welker. The guy has had 4 seasons of over 110 receptions and gone over 1,100 yards in a season 4 times... On pace this year for 117 and 1,400.

Well at less than a quarter of the price, it might be worth finding out if he can be.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Plat
Rookie

Plat hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think he meant replace Wes production-wise but position.
Plat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Don't care where Bailey goes, but he will have a better career because he's a better pure WR.

Austin will be overdrafted and land with an OC who doesn't know how to use him or won't use him enough.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post

Welker wouldn't be putting up those stats in any other offense, and if you're comparing skillsets, Welker doesn't have much at all on Tavon Austin other than an idea of "veteran savvy" which seems to cover everything from route-running to hands by default.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 11-18-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Welker wouldn't be putting up those stats in any other offense, and if you're comparing skillsets, Welker doesn't have much at all on Tavon Austin other than an idea of "veteran savvy" which seems to cover everything from route-running to hands by default.
Haha when I saw that comment I knew you'd be all over that.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What Welker has on virtually every other slot or inside WR in the NFL is a tremendous football IQ and chemistry with Brady. They never are on different pages. Welker's footwork in and out of his routes is so sharp as well. However to include his hands as a positive is simply a fallacy now. Welker has had issues with drops the last few years.

As for Austin I would absolutely love him on the Pats. I'm not sure he is the same type of player to Welker. To me he is more like Amendola but could also be used similar to Cobb or Harvin depending on how creative your offensive coordinator would like to be, and in Josh McDaniels' case that is pretty creative to the point of too creative at times.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm in full agreement. Austin is a game changer, Bailey is just an average receiver playing with a great QB.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

572 AP yards for tavon yesterday

6 plays of 30+ yards; runs: 31, 47, 54, 56, 74; catch: 47

cred 2 BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

just a quick note on austin

if he stays at rb the last 3 games (assuming we make a bowl), he would need 553 yds to have 1,000rush yds; avg 184 yds/game

he would then be the 1st D1A player to have 1,000 rush/1,000 receiving yds; brian westbrook did it at the 1AA level

cred 2 BoneKrusher