Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

I was actually surprised to look and not find a thread about this guy already. He is exactly the type of player who in my mind can make a huge leap up boards and become a really high pick.

Let's get the particulars out of the way first

6'7 241lbs. #96 for the Ducks and plays OLB for them.

Here's what I have seen from the guy.

He's a freakish athlete. I have seen him lined up at boundary CB at times and really doesn't look lost in man coverage against both WRs and TEs. Let me once again state - 6'7 241lbs!!! He does struggle a little IMO in zone coverage and doesn't break on the ball as fast as you would ideally want. When playing up close in coverage he gets a helluva jam on the receiver at times knocking them way off balance and disrupting timing.

His motor is absolutely amazing. He is never out of a play. He knows how to play down the line of scrimmage to chase down ball carriers before they can get much past the line of scrimmage. He can also set the edge with his long arms.

My biggest issue with Jordan, and it is the one issue that may keep him from going really high, is he is an inconsistent pass rusher. At times he can dip and bend under the OT and get by for the sack. However on way too many occasions I have seen him single blocked by a RB.

I also question his fit at the next level. Does he have the core strength to play down end? I really doubt it unless he really bulks up. He could be a nice fit for a 34 team at OLB who put a lot of value into being able to do more than simply rush the passer. They don't need another OLB but Jordan would fit well in KC for instance, or in New England when they were running their 34 set.

However I think he may be best suited to playing a similar role to Mathias Kiwanuka with the Giants. This guy is a good enough athlete to play LB in a 43. With the growth in usage of multiple TE sets he is strong enough to play in the run game while also athletic enough to disrupt timing and run with TEs.

Overall I would give Jordan a solid late first round grade right now, however I think he will move up by April based on the amount of things he can do well and his freakish size and upside

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a very big Dion Jordan fan. Obviously you want to see him bulk up a little but he is a freak who could project to a variety of different roles at the next level. I definitely think he will be a first rounder this year.

Oregon has some crazy talent on their roster. Jordan, Lyerla, Thomas, Armstead, Barner, Long, and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there one thing he's really proficient at, or is he just the college version of NE Pat's Mike Vrabel??
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Is there one thing he's really proficient at, or is he just the college version of NE Pat's Mike Vrabel??
I've not seen anything that he is a standout in. What you like about Jordan is the potential to be a stud all-around linebacker, but so far I don't think he has put it all together. I agree that late 1st, early 2nd is probably where he'll go.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is my favorite player in this draft. IMO you ask him to gain some weight (I have a feeling he's going to come into the SR Bowl/Combine at 260ish anyways) and have him play fulltime DE.

Oregon uses him all over the place to take advantage of his freakish athleticism (I've seen him press slot WRs and jam them at the line like it's nothing), but his future is in rushing the passer IMO.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 11-02-2012 at 10:34 AM.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with him at all as a prospect if he plays like Mike Vrabel. I hated that guy.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hated Vrabel too.
Especially in the redzone as a TE.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Nothing wrong with him at all as a prospect if he plays like Mike Vrabel. I hated that guy.
Quote:
I hated Vrabel too.
Especially in the redzone as a TE.
See that's interesting because for some reason I really liked Vrabel

Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I liked Vrabel when he stood there like a doofus while Marvin Harrison spiked the football off the ground in into his facemask.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I guess I liked Vrabel when he stood there like a doofus while Marvin Harrison spiked the football off the ground in into his facemask.
That's just mean

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This guy reminds me a lot of Jason Pierre Paul coming out. Freakishly athletic, huge frame, and developing pass rushing skills quite nicely.

He does everything for Oregon on defense. Rushes the passer from OLB and DE, plays the run exceptionally well, and drops back into coverage.

He needs to add bulk to his 6'7 243 lb frame. I think that won't be that far of a challenge, as it's not like Aaron Maybin's 6'2-3 frame.

Definately reminds me of JPP and will probably shoot up to mid 1st round.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I would not say he has a bad build at all, but he definitely will need to put on some more muscle, especially in the lower body. Demarcus Ware is pretty much the standard for all other OLBs to live up to, and is 6'4 255. So I'd imagine 6'7 265ish would be a good weight for Jordan. He needs to get on the Clay Mathews weight gaining plan.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If anyone's going to pass on him because of his weight, they don't deserve him. Unless he's an extreme ectomorph, he'll put on that muscle.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good pad level and hand usage setting the edge.

Trying to flatten out around the edge. He does a pretty good job, but this is the one concern I have for him - being able to drop his hips and skim around the OT.

At Boundary CB.

Over the slot WR.

He more than holds his own in coverage, too. It's like Julian Peterson crossed with a (very young) Simeon Rice.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I really love the guy. I would just be worried that if people think they are going to be getting a 15 sack per year, JPP-type guy then they will be disappointed. Some of the best things about his game aren't things fans really notice.

You through up a few pics of him at CB. Even if he doesn't end up covering the guy the whole way he nearly decleats them by jamming them. I also love how he uses those long arms and doesn't let blockers get into his body.

I think he could be a real good one who may never get the credit he deserves because his strong points don't end up in the box score

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Yeah, his jam on WRs at the LOS is absolutely lethal because of that hand strength and long arms.

I'm interested to see if they use him at all to try and disrupt Lee/Woods at the LOS. Dunno though, because his shoulder is apparently jacked up. Hasn't practiced all week.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 11-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:

It would be so awesome to see a 6'7,230#-240# cornerback!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been a huge Dion Jordan fan since before the season and he's only continued to elevate himself in my eyes. He has the freakish length/athleticism/flexibility/motor to be a great pure pass rusher but what stands out when you watch him is how good of a all-around football player he is. An argument could certainly be made that he's is the most well-rounded defensive player in this draft.

These two plays sum up what Dion Jordan is all about. First play we see his edge rushing ability. Great get off and shows very impressive flexibility for a guy that tall. Ends up turning the corner and beating the OT cleanly for a sack. Second play, we see him drop off in coverage at 5-10 yards depth. He then points out and identifies the crossing route, correctly passes it off, stays disciplined in his zone which allows him to be in position to make a difficult/awesome 1-on-1 open field tackle vs an athletic QB. Guys with that frame shouldn't be able to make those plays and those who can are very rare.

I really believe that if he can get up near 260 and tests as well as his tape would indicate, he can/will be in the mix for being first defensive player taken in this draft.

Last edited by TACKLE : 11-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really wondering if that 6'7" is his accurate height, or it's just an exaggeration left over from when he played TE. Colleges have been known to add a couple of inches to the heights of WRs and TEs for the program or media guide.

I suppose I'll find out at the combine if not sooner.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I'm really wondering if that 6'7" is his accurate height, or it's just an exaggeration left over from when he played TE. Colleges have been known to add a couple of inches to the heights of WRs and TEs for the program or media guide.

I suppose I'll find out at the combine if not sooner.
Doesn't look 6'7" based on the YT video above. 6'5" looks closer to accurate... or Oregon has a ton of really tall players on their team.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see him making a Bruce Irvin type leap up draft boards come April. Guy has some amazing talent. As a Dolphins fan, he reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor when he first came up. The question with Taylor was whether he could gain enough weight to make it through the season. I think that will be tough for Jordan simply because of his built. He's a guy that could end up around 230 by the end of the season. That said, he is a player and should go top 20.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
JerseyTitan
Rookie

JerseyTitan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post

Good pad level and hand usage setting the edge.

Trying to flatten out around the edge. He does a pretty good job, but this is the one concern I have for him - being able to drop his hips and skim around the OT.

At Boundary CB.

Over the slot WR.

He more than holds his own in coverage, too. It's like Julian Peterson crossed with a (very young) Simeon Rice.
Wow, he's like a chess piece. He can be moved all over the field.
JerseyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He needs to get on the Clay Mathews weight gaining plan.

???

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

6'7 probably means 6'5. Really like him though.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post

???
That's the Brian Cushing workout program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
I can see him making a Bruce Irvin type leap up draft boards come April. Guy has some amazing talent. As a Dolphins fan, he reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor when he first came up. The question with Taylor was whether he could gain enough weight to make it through the season. I think that will be tough for Jordan simply because of his built. He's a guy that could end up around 230 by the end of the season. That said, he is a player and should go top 20.
Honestly, I don't see his particular skill set as being that valuable. He's not a great rusher. Coverage isn't nearly as valued (a good coverage backer can be gotten much later). His overall game definitely could make him a valuable LB, but if he's not an edge rusher, he likely won't command a top 20 pick - especially not with the volume of LBs that will be in this class.