Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igglefanz View Post
So who is ready to watch the 3-5 Cowboys take on the 3-5 Eagles in the underachiever bowl. What team will find a way to loose in a more painful fashion. I am curious what the Vegas number is on turnovers.
Haha. Yeah, or you could call it the Heartache Bowl. That's how us fans are feelin'.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I think we should all let this idea go. It would be a pretty big **** move of Payton to leave, and I don't get the feeling that he is that type of guy, he seems pretty loyal and why wouldn't he be to an organization that has done him well.

And all things considered I'd rather be in NO then Dallas anyway, Benson lets him run the show over there, that's not happening here. I highly doubt Payton has any thoughts of coming here.
Yeah, that Payton talk needs to stop. We all know better.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man our team makes me feel ill sometimes. We could easily be sitting here at 6-2 with breaks in our favor rather than always against. With our schedule there's still a glimmer of hope left for the team to destroy.

What is really sad is that the NFC will probably have an 8-8 wildcard team and that we probably have one of the easiest schedules remaining compare to other "contenders" for the spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win 4 straight and then fold for a 7-9 and one game out of the playoffs. I think that would best illustrate how the team has been all year. Potential with tons of hope and then brutally shattered into a million pieces by the blunt misery of fate.

On a lighter note I hope Rob doesn't massively alter his gameplan and just gets after Vick. Ware and company should be able to generate a lot of pressure without needing to send the house.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we win 4 straight and then fold for a 7-9 and one game out of the playoffs. I think that would best illustrate how the team has been all year. Potential with tons of hope and then brutally shattered into a million pieces by the blunt misery of fate.
That actually sums up pretty well how we would do things. Even if we had that 6-2 record look at how we started the Seattle game, we gave them 13 points or something within the first 5 minutes and were playing catch up from then on vs that good defense.

Only game we got rolled was Chicago. But that's how we are, even when looking at our schedule and people say we have an "easy" one it doesn't mean anything. That Cincy game is going to be down to the wire and one we can easily blow, and I don't see us sweeping both Philly and Washington. In fact I think we lose once to each of them, and Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...las-cowboys-gm

Quote:
Jerry Jones, the general manager, will never relinquish that title with the Dallas Cowboys. Much like Jerry Jones, the owner, will never sell the team.

During his twice-weekly radio show, Jones was asked whether he ever would step down as the general manager.

The answer was no way.

"We are not structured that way," Jones told KRLD-FM on Tuesday morning. "We didn't structure it that way with my ownership. There's no way that I would be involved here and not be the final decision-maker on something as important as players, and that is a key area. That's never been anybody's misunderstanding. It's been a debated thing, but it's just not going to happen."
Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are talking about that in a thread on our MB, BBI. God bless Jerry! I hope he lives another 200 years, and continues to make all the calls. Hey jerrah, it's your team don't let anyone make decisions. You make them all please!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
We are talking about that in a thread on our MB, BBI. God bless Jerry! I hope he lives another 200 years, and continues to make all the calls. Hey jerrah, it's your team don't let anyone make decisions. You make them all please!
Everyone should have known that was never going to happen anyway, it wasn't even a thought. That said, the GM Jerry, who brings in players, doesn't do a bad job. He has no clue how to pick a Head Coach, or to shut up and get out of the way, but in terms of putting talent on the roster there are far worse out there then him.

Look at how bad a job AJ Smith has done in San Diego lately. We have never came close to dropping off that fast and that bad. Then again, drafting and free agency has never been my gripe with Jerry to begin with.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry isn't a terrible GM.

The underlying problem is bc everyone knows Jerry runs the show, it undermines the coaching staff.

It's like raising children. If the kid knows he can just go run to mom and cry to her and everything will be ok, discipline won't work from Dad.

His status in the organization enables players to not follow their coach as the sole leader of the team.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Seriously though... as much bashing as Jerry gets in the media and among football fans in general... He's done enough to keep me hopeful most years. Every team has their follies.

....and when I read that.... it's just Jerry taking on the responsibility. Sure he technically has the final say, but honestly, the guys we pick in the draft and go for in FA are more of a collaborative decision between the coaches and the scouts. I bet Jerry asks his coaches, "Who do we want to get in FA?" ...and then when they each say who they would dream for they get together to make the best decision on where the money should go to get the biggest return. Jerry just gets hyped up when the final decision is made and likes to make sure he's part of the credit.

We all know Parcells mostly got past players or players who shared his agent. Then in the draft, if the kid had good family genes or was a Jersey kid or reminded him of a former player then that's where we went. Big, fast, smart, high character were important traits. All he did was get Jerry hyped and that's what we did. I wouldn't call them "Jerry" moves.

Wade was a dead fish on a slab. I really don't think he was interested at all in the draft and FA process. I think he tried to tell the scouts and Jerry the type of player he wanted for his system, but wasn't very opinionated on who was taken. During those years, I think Jerry had a stronger opinion on player acquisition, but a lot of it was determined by the scouting department. Especially Tom Ciskowski. It was known he had a heavy hand in the drafts much like Todd Ireland did during the Parcells years.

With Garrett, things changed again... We started looking for all the straight arrows with potential. On his hire, Jerry specifically said Garrett would have his fingerprints on every player decision. I think that has been true. With Garrett, I do think he leans on the scouting department more than Parcells did. But we also know Rob Ryan has a voice in the room too... and a voice in Jerry's ear towards FA. He wanted Aso and Jerry tried to get him. He wanted Carr and Jerry got him. He wanted to extend Scandrick, Church, Spencer, and sign others like Elam and Pool who have since moved on. Are those "Jerry" moves? They seem more like moves Jerry made because of the influence in his ear. Jerry seems like the type that gets easily hyped up by the words he hears from his staff. All he wants is some credit at the end of the day. I think he deserves that. Because he certainly gets a lot of blame that goes very noticed too.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Everyone should have known that was never going to happen anyway, it wasn't even a thought. That said, the GM Jerry, who brings in players, doesn't do a bad job. He has no clue how to pick a Head Coach, or to shut up and get out of the way, but in terms of putting talent on the roster there are far worse out there then him.

Look at how bad a job AJ Smith has done in San Diego lately. We have never came close to dropping off that fast and that bad. Then again, drafting and free agency has never been my gripe with Jerry to begin with.
Yeah, there are things that we can talk about changing but changing the owner/GM of the Dallas Cowboys isn't one of them. That's why trying to listen to Bob about Jerry having to go isn't really paid attention to. It's just not gonna happen until he's on his death bed.

Reality is, he's just a puppet GM who wants the main attention. Stephen Jones handles the contracts. Coaches/scouts handle the draft. Jerry will be on the phones communicating it all.

I agree that he's been having problems finding the right coach. Maybe Garrett is the right "head" coach. I really like some of the things he does, but he's certainly not the right OC. He just has no feel for it. Probably why he never succeeded as a starting QB in the league either. The "it" factor mentality is just not there. Too robotic in his thinking. Unfortunately he's like a robot on dying batteries.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never really got the Jerry Jones hate honestly. Yes he meddles, yes he's opinionated and wants the limelight. He's much more "Figurehead" than he is GM these days. Like D-Unit has said, his issues stem from him choosing the wrong coaches...For everything else bad said about him, one thing is for certain, he wants to win...and he'll do everything in his power to try to make that happen. That overzealousness obviously leads to issues with overpaying and whatnot, but I've never been a fan that's felt like the team would never compete. Some down years, some up years...but there are franchises that literally have no chance at competing for decades.

That's not us...I obviously don't want the Boys to rest on those laurels, buttt...I'm thankful for a GM that actually cares about winning, even through the missteps.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Never really got the Jerry Jones hate honestly. Yes he meddles, yes he's opinionated and wants the limelight. He's much more "Figurehead" than he is GM these days. Like D-Unit has said, his issues stem from him choosing the wrong coaches...For everything else bad said about him, one thing is for certain, he wants to win...and he'll do everything in his power to try to make that happen. That overzealousness obviously leads to issues with overpaying and whatnot, but I've never been a fan that's felt like the team would never compete. Some down years, some up years...but there are franchises that literally have no chance at competing for decades.

That's not us...I obviously don't want the Boys to rest on those laurels, buttt...I'm thankful for a GM that actually cares about winning, even through the missteps.
+rep.

Teams like the Bengals don't even use their cap space.... their goal is to make sure they are above the cap floor. That would be infuriating.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't support a team not trying to win. JJ's problem is the media. He's too friendly and WAAAY too easy to turn into a target. Double edged sword. He loves attention and spotlight but it's the very thing that burns him.

As far as impact on the team I'd say that Stephen has a bigger impact. His work with financials has me confident the team won't skip a beat in any aspect once Jerry passes.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I talked to an Eagles fan at work yesterday. I work for Apple tech support, so when I get calls in I talk to people about personal stuff. When he found out I was a Cowboy fan he was like, "Oh man you got an easy win upcoming." I was like, "You kidding me? Did you see the Cowboys against the Giants? They choke a lot against Philly." It was sad how we could bond over our teams sucking. I got him when I said they didn't appreciate McNabb. I said we had Quincy Carter in Dallas, and he laughed hardcore. lol

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
texans_4_texas
Rookie

texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas

Coaches change. Jerry does not. That is why this franchise stinks.
texans_4_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldnt this be a dream come true...

WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden is eyeing a return to coaching. Sources around him have shared that he is looking into different assistant coaches around the league and seeing what their potential availability will be after the 2012 season.

One coach that Gruden is said to be interested in is fired Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. The long-time Eagles assistant was on the same staff with Gruden in Philadelphia under former head coach Ray Rhodes. Castillo was an offensive assistant and tight ends coach while Gruden was the offensive coordinator. Following Gruden's departure for Oakland, Castillo remained to work under Andy Reid as a tight ends coach, offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. Reid and Gruden have also coached together, and Castillo carries a significant endorsement from Reid.

Other coaches whom Gruden could be interested include former special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia. If the Chargers fire Norv Turner and his staff, Bisaccia could potentially land with Gruden. The two had a close relationship in Tampa Bay (2002-2008), and Bisaccia was always extremely loyal to Gruden.

Gruden last coached in 2008 with the Buccaneers. He is 95-81 in his career as a head coach with a 5-4 record in the postseason. Gruden led Tampa Bay to its lone championship in Super Bowl XXVII. Since getting fired by the Bucs, Gruden has stayed active, learning different offenses and defenses in pro and college football. He spent time with Chip Kelly learning Oregon's spread attack, so if Gruden returns to the NFL, he could feature a new and unique offense.

Sources have said that Gruden's return to coaching is dependent on it being a perfect situation. He isn't interested in smaller-market teams like those he has coached at previously. Gruden wants a big-market team with good ownership and some talent on the roster. Thus, teams like Dallas, Philadelphia and the New York Jets could be potential landing spots if they make a change.

Sources have said if Gruden doesn't love the opportunity, he's perfectly happy to continue his work with ESPN on Monday Night Football. However, they indicated that this year has been different than the past few, and Gruden has more motivation to return to coaching in 2013.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans_4_texas View Post
Coaches change. Jerry does not. That is why this franchise stinks.
Do not feed the troll.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Wouldnt this be a dream come true...

WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden is eyeing a return to coaching. Sources around him have shared that he is looking into different assistant coaches around the league and seeing what their potential availability will be after the 2012 season.

One coach that Gruden is said to be interested in is fired Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. The long-time Eagles assistant was on the same staff with Gruden in Philadelphia under former head coach Ray Rhodes. Castillo was an offensive assistant and tight ends coach while Gruden was the offensive coordinator. Following Gruden's departure for Oakland, Castillo remained to work under Andy Reid as a tight ends coach, offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. Reid and Gruden have also coached together, and Castillo carries a significant endorsement from Reid.

Other coaches whom Gruden could be interested include former special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia. If the Chargers fire Norv Turner and his staff, Bisaccia could potentially land with Gruden. The two had a close relationship in Tampa Bay (2002-2008), and Bisaccia was always extremely loyal to Gruden.

Gruden last coached in 2008 with the Buccaneers. He is 95-81 in his career as a head coach with a 5-4 record in the postseason. Gruden led Tampa Bay to its lone championship in Super Bowl XXVII. Since getting fired by the Bucs, Gruden has stayed active, learning different offenses and defenses in pro and college football. He spent time with Chip Kelly learning Oregon's spread attack, so if Gruden returns to the NFL, he could feature a new and unique offense.

Sources have said that Gruden's return to coaching is dependent on it being a perfect situation. He isn't interested in smaller-market teams like those he has coached at previously. Gruden wants a big-market team with good ownership and some talent on the roster. Thus, teams like Dallas, Philadelphia and the New York Jets could be potential landing spots if they make a change.

Sources have said if Gruden doesn't love the opportunity, he's perfectly happy to continue his work with ESPN on Monday Night Football. However, they indicated that this year has been different than the past few, and Gruden has more motivation to return to coaching in 2013.
I posted something on the NFL Forum that linked Gruden to us. It was a rumor, but this one was from the head scout at PFW, Nolan Nawrocki.

Sure would be nice!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I really love Grudens' mind. He's great on MNF, has a great football mind, really does the logical things and while I don't think he's as good as his resume may perceive him to be due to his layoff, he is a really good Head Coach imo.

I am slightly worried about how he will handle our future QB search. Is he a great guy to go about it with or a terrible one? I distinctly remember him singing the praises of Russell Wilson from a mountain top and he kept telling people he could play, screw his height his kid could play. But I also remember him hording 7-8 young QB's on the Bucs that were all scrubs, whoever was his next man crush at the time stuck and it was a big mess.

He does have a great eye for QB's, and really works well with them, so I think it could be a great time to bring him in since we will be looking for the next guy, I just don't want it to turn into us having 4 mid round QB's all on the roster battling it out for years.

That said, if they could have some under the table talks, and Gruden told Jerry "if JG is fired this would be #1 on by wish list" I'd make that happen immediately. He's got a great resume, and honestly his experience in the booth is going to make him a better HC. He is getting to analyze and see from a different perspective who is making terrible mistakes and why they aren't doing a good job.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I really love Grudens' mind. He's great on MNF, has a great football mind, really does the logical things and while I don't think he's as good as his resume may perceive him to be due to his layoff, he is a really good Head Coach imo.

I am slightly worried about how he will handle our future QB search. Is he a great guy to go about it with or a terrible one? I distinctly remember him singing the praises of Russell Wilson from a mountain top and he kept telling people he could play, screw his height his kid could play. But I also remember him hording 7-8 young QB's on the Bucs that were all scrubs, whoever was his next man crush at the time stuck and it was a big mess.

He does have a great eye for QB's, and really works well with them, so I think it could be a great time to bring him in since we will be looking for the next guy, I just don't want it to turn into us having 4 mid round QB's all on the roster battling it out for years.

That said, if they could have some under the table talks, and Gruden told Jerry "if JG is fired this would be #1 on by wish list" I'd make that happen immediately. He's got a great resume, and honestly his experience in the booth is going to make him a better HC. He is getting to analyze and see from a different perspective who is making terrible mistakes and why they aren't doing a good job.
Yeah, Gruden as a talent evaluator is a little scary because he gets easily hyped up about a guy. But for those same reasons, you really like him as a HC because he can get behind the guy and really instill confidence in his players. I love the way he can light a fire under players, take their side, chew out refs and give a look of disgust on his guys at the same time when they make mistakes.

I think Rob Ryan has some of these qualities too. I really wouldn't mind him getting the job and letting someone other than Garrett run the offense.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Jerry Jones is doing his job, he is a business owner and as a business owner his primary responsibility is making money. He keeps the Cowboys in the news whether the team is 12-4 or 4-12 and the merch/tickets keep selling like hot cakes. Would he like to win Superbowls.... absolutely, does he manage to find a way to create a decent product...yes, Will he ever let anyone else run the show... no. He will make his mistakes Joey Galloway and Roy Williams come to mind but those moves come from frustration and desperation. Not to mention he had people to consult with that clearly did not steer him away. He has a creative group that includes Stephen Jones that is getting better with managing the cap and making the best of draft picks. My only issue is his selection of coaches, all smart genuinely nice guys who lack an edge and fire to demand discipline. That and the fact that his inner circle continue to ignore the fact the drafting offensive lineman with talent is essential to the success of team. Other then that me and Jerrrrrrah are solid.

-Perfect storm for this year would be to continue to lose and force Jerry's hand into making changes. Hopefully San Diego does the same and release Norv Turner (someone who Jerry and Garrett both have great respect for). Norv gets signed, takes over play calling and JG can finally worry about squaring the whole team away. Jerry pulls the trigger on an interior lineman in the first two rounds of the draft and Callahan continues to mold the offensive line into a solid unit. Felix gets his walking papers and re-tool the RB position.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
-Perfect storm for this year would be to continue to lose and force Jerry's hand into making changes. Hopefully San Diego does the same and release Norv Turner (someone who Jerry and Garrett both have great respect for). Norv gets signed, takes over play calling and JG can finally worry about squaring the whole team away. Jerry pulls the trigger on an interior lineman in the first two rounds of the draft and Callahan continues to mold the offensive line into a solid unit. Felix gets his walking papers and re-tool the RB position.
Yep...this would be the perfect scenario imo. I'm not ready to abandon the JG ship whatsoever. As I said in this very thread, being a HC is about more than just calling plays, and while he's had some very questionable moments in games...You cannot say his team isn't typically prepared. I neveeerr fear a blowout by the Cowboys. They'll always be in games, if he can just get them over the hump to finish...They'll be in great shape. His drafting and eye for talent is pretty damn impressive. Get Norvall in here and fix the OL and we may have something cooking. I want JG to succeed, and I'm fully confident he will. There will be growing pains, but I expect him to continuously build on something and be a perennial contender. If not in Dallas, somewhere else.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM    (permalink
texans_4_texas
Rookie

texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas texans_4_texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
- Jerry Jones is doing his job, he is a business owner and as a business owner his primary responsibility is making money. He keeps the Cowboys in the news whether the team is 12-4 or 4-12 and the merch/tickets keep selling like hot cakes. Would he like to win Superbowls.... absolutely, does he manage to find a way to create a decent product...yes, Will he ever let anyone else run the show... no. He will make his mistakes Joey Galloway and Roy Williams come to mind but those moves come from frustration and desperation. Not to mention he had people to consult with that clearly did not steer him away. He has a creative group that includes Stephen Jones that is getting better with managing the cap and making the best of draft picks. My only issue is his selection of coaches, all smart genuinely nice guys who lack an edge and fire to demand discipline. That and the fact that his inner circle continue to ignore the fact the drafting offensive lineman with talent is essential to the success of team. Other then that me and Jerrrrrrah are solid.

So let me ask, do you think Jones removing himself from the Football will somehow result in his making less money? Or maybe more?

Because, this has nothing to do with money. Cowboys still sell (even if less so over time b/c of the losing) and he still pockets cash.

But if you think this franchise will continue to make money while posting year after year of what it has done the last 15 -- well I think you will be resoundly proven wrong.

End of the day, you get fans and a national following by winning. When I was a kid, lots of fans. Even during the early 90s this team created lots of fans. Those fans a re older and still support the team but what happens in another 15 years? Kids under 20 can't remember a decent Cowboy team? They will have families and who are their dollars going to support? Giants, New England ........

I am sorry to say this as a 35 year fan but this franchise and its ability to make money is slowly degrading as its fans base gets older, less interested and it is not being "replenished" by younger folks.

So, this is all about an inflated ego, not money or the long term value of the Cowboys Brand.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans_4_texas View Post
So let me ask, do you think Jones removing himself from the Football will somehow result in his making less money? Or maybe more?

Because, this has nothing to do with money. Cowboys still sell (even if less so over time b/c of the losing) and he still pockets cash.

But if you think this franchise will continue to make money while posting year after year of what it has done the last 15 -- well I think you will be resoundly proven wrong.

End of the day, you get fans and a national following by winning. When I was a kid, lots of fans. Even during the early 90s this team created lots of fans. Those fans a re older and still support the team but what happens in another 15 years? Kids under 20 can't remember a decent Cowboy team? They will have families and who are their dollars going to support? Giants, New England ........

I am sorry to say this as a 35 year fan but this franchise and its ability to make money is slowly degrading as its fans base gets older, less interested and it is not being "replenished" by younger folks.

So, this is all about an inflated ego, not money or the long term value of the Cowboys Brand.
Jerry will never remove himself from football operations. It's moot to even discuss.

But Jerry the business man can't be touched. Obviously his multitasking between football and business isn't hurting the business side of it. I mean c'mon... Victoria Secret at the Stadium? Genius. His Papa John commercials are endearing too. They make you wanna like the guy. Business wise... the guy has taken the Cowboys to new heights never imagined. We could've had a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse owner. The Bengals have an owner who is happy when his team's total salary gets over the salary cap floor. Jerry has a history of hit or miss on his signings, but you gotta give credit to the man for ponying up the cash. Especially when it comes to keeping our stars.

Football wise, no doubt there have been major growing pains. But he has learned a lot along the way. ....and really, all he's ever done was whatever his staff had wanted to do. ...and all he wanted was the credit even if it was a lie. I mean why can't he? He gets ALL the blame too.

At this point though, I can't see anybody really being mad at what he's doing "now". Stephen handles the contracts... the coaches tell him who they want in FA... and the scouts, coaches (and even position coaches) help out with the draft process. I'm sure Jerry has his thoughts to share too... but you're kidding yourself if you think Jerry dominates the draft and only picks the guys he likes. It's an obvious collaboration effort. As for what Jerry does do.... handle the phone lines. He's basically just the mouth piece of the franchise. If you have a problem with that, get over it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
texans_4_texas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Jerry will never remove himself from football operations. It's moot to even discuss.

But Jerry the business man can't be touched. Obviously his multitasking between football and business isn't hurting the business side of it. I mean c'mon... Victoria Secret at the Stadium? Genius. His Papa John commercials are endearing too. They make you wanna like the guy. Business wise... the guy has taken the Cowboys to new heights never imagined. We could've had a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse owner. The Bengals have an owner who is happy when his team's total salary gets over the salary cap floor. Jerry has a history of hit or miss on his signings, but you gotta give credit to the man for ponying up the cash. Especially when it comes to keeping our stars.

Football wise, no doubt there have been major growing pains. But he has learned a lot along the way. ....and really, all he's ever done was whatever his staff had wanted to do. ...and all he wanted was the credit even if it was a lie. I mean why can't he? He gets ALL the blame too.

At this point though, I can't see anybody really being mad at what he's doing "now". Stephen handles the contracts... the coaches tell him who they want in FA... and the scouts, coaches (and even position coaches) help out with the draft process. I'm sure Jerry has his thoughts to share too... but you're kidding yourself if you think Jerry dominates the draft and only picks the guys he likes. It's an obvious collaboration effort. As for what Jerry does do.... handle the phone lines. He's basically just the mouth piece of the franchise. If you have a problem with that, get over it.
Another 17 years of this type of football and the Cowboys will be irrelevant nationally. They will be a North Texas team exclusively.

I got 99 problems but imbecile, in-breds like Jerrah are not one of them.

The rest of your post is the normal knob polishing you reflexively do every time I post something even when you agree. What is funny is other post the same thing and you agree with them.