Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tony Romo: Would you Re-Sign him?

The 2012 season ends and Jerry Jones shocks everyone by firing himself as GM, and has hired you for the job.

The first big decision you have to make is whether or not to extend Tony Romo, who will be in the final year of his contract in 2013.

Since taking over as starter in in 2006, he has easily been in the top third, if not top quarter, of QBs in the league statistically.

He'll also be 33, making $11.5 million in the final year of his contract, and will be coming off of what can definitely be considered a down season in 2012.

So the decision is left in your hands. Do you extend Tony Romo? Do you let him play out 2013 with no extension while prepared to use the franchise tag if need be? Do you let him walk and, if so, how do you replace him?

Me personally, I let him play out 2013 with no extension. If he has a great season, I go in fully prepared to use the franchise tag. It's hellishly expensive for QBs, but it's better than a big extension with guaranteed money and him entering his mid-30s (a period where dramatic drop off usually begins for QBs.)

Meanwhile, I start preparing for life after Romo. It's unlikely the Cowboys will be picking high enough for one of the elite QBs in this year's draft, I would definitely jump on anyone taking a Rodgers-like fall. I'd also keep an eye on the 2nd/3rd round types who might need a little development as possible replacements after Romo as well.

So what do you do?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you answered your own question perfectly. That's exactly what I would do as well.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. Honestly, I look to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, to be honest. Someone like Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Zach Dysert. Romo has another year left. He's 33 years old. Let him play next year, and the young guy sit and learn the ropes. If Romo puts up a great year, there is always the Franchise Tag for 1 year, then let him walk.

Basically, you have a 1-2 year plan with him, then have the young guy take over. Romo still gives the Cowboys the best chance to win right now. Taking a rookie next year and starting him day 1 means they won't be a contender, when they have the supporting cast and team to do so right now.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am with you.

Not sure what I would do with him, I think he will command too much money for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a bigger issue than Romo is Jason Garrett. I would fire him at the end of this season. I would then sign Romo to a one-year extension for an extra $16-20 million (or about whatever the franchise number is). This is essentially the same as franchising him after 2013 but reduces the chances of a holdout because he is geting some upfront money. After 2014, he will have two years under the new coach. If his issues continue, he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What choice do you really have? Is there an Oakland out there who you can sucker into giving you a first round pick for your 30+ year old QB? You're just not going to get enough in a trade for him to move up in the draft for a franchise guy. So I hold onto him for at least one more year, and if a new coach can fix some of Dallas ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you work out an extension. Cause if they stop ******* themselves, keep the D together and can keep working on that OL, that team can compete.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cowboys need to rebuild. The talent level has plummeted since Bill Parcells has left. They need as many draft picks as possible, and they need somebody other than Jerry Jones making the picks. I doubt they can do better than Romo in the short-term, but why pay a guy $10+ million if they're not in contention for a Super Bowl?
ph90702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I think a bigger issue than Romo is Jason Garrett. I would fire him at the end of this season. I would then sign Romo to a one-year extension for an extra $16-20 million (or about whatever the franchise number is). This is essentially the same as franchising him after 2013 but reduces the chances of a holdout because he is geting some upfront money. After 2014, he will have two years under the new coach. If his issues continue, he's gone.
I'd be surprised if his agent actually accepted a one year extension like that. They'd prefer either a longer term arrangement or hitting the open market to see what types of offers he gets there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
What choice do you really have? Is there an Oakland out there who you can sucker into giving you a first round pick for your 30+ year old QB? You're just not going to get enough in a trade for him to move up in the draft for a franchise guy. So I hold onto him for at least one more year, and if a new coach can fix some of Dallas ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you work out an extension. Cause if they stop ******* themselves, keep the D together and can keep working on that OL, that team can compete.
My problem is that he's 33. Someone, WHC I think, posted a breakdown of a QBs average stats as he increases in age (which I wish I would have saved for arguments like this.) The prime of a QBs career in which he is most productive seems to be between 27-33. After that, the drop off is sharp.

I really wouldn't want to be dealing with Romo beyond 2014.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
The Cowboys need to rebuild. The talent level has plummeted since Bill Parcells has left. They need as many draft picks as possible, and they need somebody other than Jerry Jones making the picks. I doubt they can do better than Romo in the short-term, but why pay a guy $10+ million if they're not in contention for a Super Bowl?
There are absolutely spots of nice talent on that team, much of it added after Parcells left, they just don't fit together well. Tyron Smith is 21 and is only going to get better as he matures. He'll be a great blind site protector headed forward. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter looks like a great young pair of ILBs. Claiborne and Carr should be a great set of corners. And of course, they'll have DeMarcus Ware for a few years yet.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends how he plays in his last season. I don't think Romo has been near the top of the list of problems wrong with the Cowboys organization. That team needs a better defense, offensive line, head coach, and running game first and foremost. And unless you have someone better, then I'm not sure what would be a better alternative. Good free agent quarterbacks never hit the market. That leaves the only other option to draft a rookie quarterback. Not saying a rookie quarterback couldn't be an upgrade, but it's going to take time. If Romo isn't going to command a mega deal, I'd resign him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I'd be surprised if his agent actually accepted a one year extension like that. They'd prefer either a longer term arrangement or hitting the open market to see what types of offers he gets there.

My problem is that he's 33. Someone, WHC I think, posted a breakdown of a QBs average stats as he increases in age (which I wish I would have saved for arguments like this.) The prime of a QBs career in which he is most productive seems to be between 27-33. After that, the drop off is sharp.

If Romo falls off a cliff, then you've got a much easier time trading up for a franchise guy. Meanwhile you try and squeeze a playoff run out of all that talent.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Father time is ticking away at Romo. Could this be an Aaron Rodgers type situation? If they are picking in the top half of the draft this year they definitely can land one of the better QB prospects.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's underrated. I would resign him-4yrs. Trade Dez Bryant for a 2nd or cond. 3rd. Sign Greg Jennings. Go BDPA in the first round-then take hope to get a blue chip OL and WR. Demand the run to pass ratio improves for the former in 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
You are clueless. Where has the talent level plummeted?

The defense they have is pretty stout if you ask me. In the secondary, you have Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. 3 very good CBs. I don't include Mike Jenkins because he'll probably walk. They could use help at Safety, yes.

They have Lee, Carter, Connor, Ware, and Spencer. I think they're pretty good at LB. Ratliff anchoring the line.

Offensively, they have a franchise LT. The Line isn't terrible (you want to see Terrible? Watch Philadelphia). 2 good Backs in Murray and decent scat back in Jones. Pro Bowl TE. And probably a top 12 WR duo. Even though Dez needs to get his head on straight, he's pretty darn good.

Every team has holes, but I think they have a good core to continue to build around. Romo just doesn't perform when they need him too. I'm still up in the air on Jason Garrett.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Right, but everyone situation is different. I wouldn't go by an average like that. If Romo is playing at a decent level at that age, I wouldn't see a reason to not keep going. Steve Young, Warren Moon, and Brett Favre played pretty well into their late thirties. Romo also became a starter at 26. This is what, his 7th year I think as a starter? I wouldn't be too concerned about 33 honestly unless injuries start to pile up.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
You are clueless. Where has the talent level plummeted?

The defense they have is pretty stout if you ask me. In the secondary, you have Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. 3 very good CBs. I don't include Mike Jenkins because he'll probably walk. They could use help at Safety, yes.

They have Lee, Carter, Connor, Ware, and Spencer. I think they're pretty good at LB. Ratliff anchoring the line.
But other than just names on paper what have they done? The last time they had a defense that finished better than 15th in points allowed was 2009. The defense isn't that intimidating, or rather, they don't make huge plays when they need to a lot of the time.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Right, but everyone situation is different. I wouldn't go by an average like that. If Romo is playing at a decent level at that age, I wouldn't see a reason to not keep going. Steve Young, Warren Moon, and Brett Favre played pretty well into their late thirties. Romo also became a starter at 26. This is what, his 7th year I think as a starter? I wouldn't be too concerned about 33 honestly unless injuries start to pile up.
One of the things that tends to go as a QB ages (not counting any body parts that are directly injured) is arm strength. The guys who have played into their late 30s with success are guys who started off with arm strength to spare, like Favre, Marino and Elway.

Does Romo have that kind of arm strength to spare or is he going to be losing zip and floating passses in 2-3 years?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo would be fine if the offense wasn't run through him. The focus should be on rebuilding the offensive line and running attack that the team can rely on. Also getting at least one competent safety wouldn't hurt, since they haven't had one since Darren Woodson.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I extend him. It's hard as **** to find a good starting QB in the NFL. It may be time to find a future replacement for Romo, but he's the guy you gotta keep around until you find one.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
One of the things that tends to go as a QB ages (not counting any body parts that are directly injured) is arm strength. The guys who have played into their late 30s with success are guys who started off with arm strength to spare, like Favre, Marino and Elway.

Does Romo have that kind of arm strength to spare or is he going to be losing zip and floating passses in 2-3 years?
Good question. I think his arm strength is adequate. If I have to put my money on it I don't think it will be an issue though. I'm sure a good amount of it probably has to do with genetics too. Joe Montana's arm wasn't strong to begin with, but it maintained it's velocity up until retired at 37. Maybe it fades, maybe it doesn't.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
But other than just names on paper what have they done? The last time they had a defense that finished better than 15th in points allowed was 2009. The defense isn't that intimidating, or rather, they don't make huge plays when they need to a lot of the time.
Hm, I think you mean their QB doesn't make huge plays when they need him too.

This is an offensive/scoring league these days, especially how the rules favor it, but I won't get into that.

There defense is good enough or even better in terms of Super Bowl Caliber. Take Sunday night on the road for example. They slowed down Atlanta. It's too bad Romo is just a choke in big games, and has been all season, minus week 1.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Hm, I think you mean their QB doesn't make huge plays when they need him too.

This is an offensive/scoring league these days, especially how the rules favor it, but I won't get into that.

There defense is good enough or even better in terms of Super Bowl Caliber. Take Sunday night on the road for example. They slowed down Atlanta. It's too bad Romo is just a choke in big games, and has been all season, minus week 1.
The Cowboys defense is Super Bowl caliber? You're kidding me right?

Oh and yes Romo screws up sometimes, but his upside far outweighs the mistakes he commits. By the way when is the last time the Cowboys had a good running game to take pressure off the quarterback? Emmit Smith? Murray is hurt and Felix Jones is average at best.

As for Atlanta, I'd say it was more Atlanta not doing things right. The Cowboys had their chances to stop them when it really mattered on defense and they failed miserably three times on the Falcons final drive. Ask Scandrick.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I would do in regards to Romo would depend on where the team is in the draft. Top five pick, I go all out for Barkley. Romo would then either start 2013 while Barkley has a year to learn the offense or Barkley would start if I could acquire at least a 2nd rounder for Romo. 2nd rounder may be cheap but at his age, contract status (salary and years remaining) and the fact that the Cowboys will need a franchise QB eventually anyway, I ship him to the highest bidder. I can definitely see a veteran team like the Jets or a team like the Chiefs trading away a 2nd rounder for him.

However, before any of that happens, I would demote Garrett back to the OC since he's one of those guys who sucks as an HC but is damn good as an OC. If he doesnt want to accept that, I say goodbye to him and look for an OC who'll either A) fit in with Romo and the offense he's used to or B) fit in with Barkley so his transition to the NFL would be easier.

Regardless of what happens with Garrett, I would go all out for Bill Cowher. Having a tough ass HC like him is EXACTLY what the Cowboys need the most. He'll get Bryant in line, he'll get Rob Ryan to shut the hell up and just do his job. Those three things alone would make the Cowboys a better team.

Those would be my primary objectives with fixing the interior of the OL my secondary objective.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Despite Tony choking, he is still a better QB than most in the league. I know stats don't tell the entire story, but the guy puts up some stats year in and year out. Makes me think that the team isn't a complete one.

I'd personally keep him, but draft someone to sit behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting thread.

What I would do is different from what I predict, but with me in charge, I:

- Wait on extending Romo. I use the Franchise Tag. Even if he would sign a cheap contract, I would put off on it just because he needs a fire lit under his ass. I've been saying for a long time that has been too comfortable in his seat. Romo is a competitor and the last time we saw real fire in his eyes was when he was unseating Bledsoe from the job as a starter. Since that day, there hasn't been another #2 QB or developing QB that has made Romo's seat uncomfortable. He doesn't care about making mistakes or working hard because there's no real threat to his job.

- Fire Jason Garrett as HC. I definitely don't predict this happening, but I would surely do it. Garrett and Romo don't see eye to eye enough. They are often at odds at what to do. Garrett is a conservative playcaller and Romo is a gunslinger. Wonder why we're often late to get the snap off in between plays? Wonder why Romo is always calling "Kill, Kill" to the plays Garrett is calling in from the sidelines? Wonder why when we are in the no huddle offense, Romo has the offense buzzin'? Get Garrett out of his ear and Romo knows how to move this offense.

...and relieving Garrett as playcaller isn't enough. While I applaud his "straight arrow" ways, his words don't follow through. He talks about accountability, but the Cowboys continue to be heavily penalized week to week, and players are not held accountable for mistakes they make. Offensive player growth has been stagnant or declining. A direct result of poor coaching/development. He's been OC for the last 6 years but you wouldn't know it. His playbook is shallow and predictable considering how long he's been here. His robotic answers in the media are a reflection of the way he speaks to the team. Uninspiring, hardly respectable, and too calculated. Surely, he's a smart guy. Not denying that. But I think for the same reasons why he never became a successful NFL QB, it's the same reasons why he's not a good OC... in that he lacks that "it" factor. He lacks the ability to think quick in the moment.

The Cowboys can win with Romo and they don't need to rush to get a QB. Murray being injured has really hurt this team and Tony has taken a ton of blame. He's frustrated me to no end, but I can't say that changing him immediately is good for the Cowboys. Getting our run game back would do wonders though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote