Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Synopsis.

Someone said Gronkowski was clearly better than Davis at everything other than wheel-routes. Ness argued the over-generalization. 49ers' fans ridiculed.

/synopsis
To be fair my original question was what VD did better than Gronk other than run that wheel route, a little hyperbole to point out that VD's only advantage lies in his explosiveness down the field, while Gronk is the better redzone target, has better hands, runs better routes, is plenty explosive himself, and VD's excellent blocking not withstanding, is a more overwhelming blocker as well. Gronk's the standard while VD and Graham are 2a and 2b over the old folks, Witten, Gonzo and Gates.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
To be fair my original question was what VD did better than Gronk other than run that wheel route, a little hyperbole to point out that VD's only advantage lies in his explosiveness down the field, while Gronk is the better redzone target, has better hands, runs better routes, is plenty explosive himself, and VD's excellent blocking not withstanding, is a more overwhelming blocker as well. Gronk's the standard while VD and Graham are 2a and 2b over the old folks, Witten, Gonzo and Gates.
Gronk might be better then VD in those categories but I also don't think there is a huge gap there. I also don't think Graham is a 2a, you could make a much stronger argument that Gronk is 1a and Graham is 1b. Both are young and getting better but Graham is still a much more raw player and I think he's got more room to grow before he maxes out his potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is it that every single one of these threads turns into a fight btw 49er fans and everyone else?

It's getting really annoying.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Why is it that every single one of these threads turns into a fight btw 49er fans and everyone else?

No, we're just all biased and crazy and jealous.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I think I should write a children's book titled, "If Brandon Weeden was 22."
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Apparentluy it's because us Giants fans have a thing for 49'ers fan. I know I want to date Borat at all but he's looking way too much into that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Apparentluy it's because us Giants fans have a thing for 49'ers fan. I know I want to date Borat at all but he's looking way too much into that.
You're gunna have to settle for Brent, cause me and Borat have chemistry.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're gunna have to settle for Brent, cause me and Borat have chemistry.
But, but, ... every time I start talking about baseball, you make me sleep on the couch!

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It's our eternal struggle over ownership of the name "Giants"

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Well some of you Saints fans are straight up crazy. Remember this guy?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're not as crazy as you obviously. Our TE is better than Vernon Davis, and we still don't think he's better than Gronk.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
But, but, ... every time I start talking about baseball, you make me sleep on the couch!
If you were a little more willing to make it up to me in other ways, I could tune it out n let you say baseball things at me, just for you.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We're not as crazy as you obviously. Our TE is better than Vernon Davis, and we still don't think he's better than Gronk.
My opinion stating that I don't believe the differences between Vernon Davis and Rob Gronkowski are as vast as night and day is crazy to you?

Well, very well then.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

If one is clearly better than the other, doesn't that make it night n day?

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Rosebud : 11-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
If one is clearly better than the other, doesn't that make it night n day?
Nope. It doesn't. For instance, I thought Jerry Rice was better than Cris Carter and Sterling Sharpe, but I wouldn't say the difference between them was night and day like it was compared to someone like JJ Stokes. As a matter of fact I thought Carter did some things better than Rice. As an all around receiver though, I believed Rice was better.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I think it's crazy if you can't see the difference between a guy who is a pro bowler, and a guy who is dominant, and an all time great(at a super young age, no less).
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I think it's crazy if you can't see the difference between a guy who is a pro bowler, and a guy who is dominant, and an all time great(at a super young age, no less).
I do see the differences. I just don't believe Gronkowski is head and shoulders above Vernon Davis in terms of what he can do as a player. Hey you believe I'm crazy for having my opinion regarding the matter and I believe you're crazy for having yours. Perhaps we should leave it at that then.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I do see the differences. I just don't believe Gronkowski is head and shoulders above Vernon Davis in terms of what he can do as a player. Hey you believe I'm crazy for having my opinion regarding the matter and I believe you're crazy for having yours. Perhaps we should leave it at that then.
I'm fine with leaving it here too. Gronk seems to be rounding back into form. Perhaps we'll just give it another season. You'll eventually come around
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'm fine with leaving it here too. Gronk seems to be rounding back into form. Perhaps we'll just give it another season. You'll eventually come around

Okie dokie :)

Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe I missed this debate. Even more unbelievable is that I don't actually agree with me fellow 49ers fans. Gronk and Graham are both definitely better than Davis, imo, and I would put a healthy Witten ahead of his as well. Davis is an athletic freak, obviously, and an amazing blocker but his receiving skills, route-running and pass-catching, are nowhere as good as those guys. People forget that Davis had serious drop problems last year. He seems to have it under control this year but he still had a couple of big drops early in the season.

Don't get me wrong, I think Davis would put up similar numbers to Gronk and Graham in a similar offense but I don't think he is quite as good as a receiver as those two.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Its not. This is the generalization that frustrates me. Ness argues a bit, and several people egg him because they know he doesn't have an off switch. The 49ers have several very active posters who join the discussion, and it becomes a back-and-forth. Sad.

Especially when people say things like this...
Quote:
It's just an outright lie, and gets us as fans of the 49ers fired up. It's basically matches and gasoline at this point.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.a...iving&rank=232

Last edited by phlysac : 11-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I was curious to ask another person's general opinion regarding the matter. I got in touch with Aaron Schatz from Football Outsiders, for which he is the president and founder. You may have seen him on NFL Network's Top Ten or ESPN every once in a while. I wanted to know his stance on both players and if he believed the difference was indeed as vast as night and day. His response:

Quote:
Ness,

First of all, I am always happy to answer a question from someone who says "assuming you have a moment to answer because I'm sure you are a busy guy." You would have no idea how many readers assume that I'm not a busy guy or that I have to answer their question immediately or that there are like 25 of us working here.

Anyway, you are right. I think Vernon Davis has not been as good as Gronk, but the difference is not huge. Both of them are excellent blockers as well as receivers. Obviously Davis does not play with a quarterback of the same quality and it hurts his numbers. I think also it's an issue that Davis took a couple years to develop and many people felt he had an attitude problem early, while Gronk was Gronk immediately upon his arrival in the NFL.
Clearly a 49ers homer.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
People forget that Davis had serious drop problems last year. He seems to have it under control this year but he still had a couple of big drops early in the season.
I believe Vernon Davis has been credited with one dropped ball this year.

Quote: