Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys I have a quick question for you. How do you feel about Josh Gordon going forward into next year? He had a good 3 week stretch, but seems to be getting lost in the shuffle again. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm in a dynasty league that only keeps starters and a flex player. My starting lineup is stacked, but my bench is awful so I'd prefer to keep a high upside guy like Gordon as my flex guy going into next season. Do you think he'll make the jump in year 2?
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a lot of elements to the equation. He has an extroidinarily incompetent play caller in Pat Shurmur and Weeden is okay to kind of good. He has undeniable talent and given the circumstances he has exceeded expectations. He went from not playing for two years to having an entire NFL playbooks thrown at him. Ive been satisfied with him and then some.

On to more of an answer for your question: we really cant say for sure until we make our head coaching hire and the FO gives an idea of what's going down at quarterback this offseason. I have no doubt he will improve his skillset moving forward but whether that translates into statistical production next season is up in the air, to say the least.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been one of the best if not the best rookie WR this year. No doubting his talent, he's gonna be a legit high end #2 if not #1 receiver in the league it looks like. Him getting "lost in the shuffle" the last few weeks I don't think is accurate....He had a touchdown called back on a penalty against the Ravens (where Weeden looked really bad) and the Browns had a bye week this past week.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep him. Regardless of how good he'll ultimately be he'll probably lead the team in TD catches again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks Guys
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ummm. Thoughts on Mike Lombardi as GM? :(

Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
Ummm. Thoughts on Mike Lombardi as GM? :(

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

I didn't think of him as a candidate myself, there were rumors he was the favorite to replace Heckert (WHO SHOULDN'T BE ******* REPLACED ANYWAY) and I cringed and cried.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see how they can justify firing Heckert after what this team is doing right now with Gordon, Little, Weeden, Richardson, Schwartz, Cameron, Benjamin, Taylor, Sheard, Jackson, Haden, Ward, Robertson, Winn, Hughes, etc. and all his draft pick/free agent signings that are working out and growing up into a pretty decently talented young team. This is by far the best core of talent that we've had since the Browns returned. I wanna see what he does in future drafts, not some bum like Lombardi who's been out of the league for YEARS. Heck, I don't see how Shurmur can get fired either if they keep up the winning. Beating Washington next week I think will be HUGE for Shurmur's future with this team.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Browns end up 7-9 I don't see how Shurmur gets fired even though I hate him as a coach.

As for Heckert, firing him would be an awful awful mistake.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Whelp. The writing is on the wall for Heckert and Shurmur. Joe Banner said he would move swiftly on them after the season. Pretty sure you don't move swiftly to retain someone. Moreover, he would not comment on if he was hiring Lombardi. WTF?

Definitely not looking forward to this offseason. Bad feeling, I haz.

Last edited by BuckeyeDan17 : 12-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Latest rumors I've heard are Josh McDaniels & Ryan Mallett. http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...mcdaniels.html

Here's Lombardi breaking down the Browns vs Redskins, link.

Problem I have with Lombardi (other then his track record) based on his takes on NFLN, is that he's overconfident with his analysis. It's like he won't even consider another take on certain prospects or differing break downs.

I'm not even that against McDaniels if it's strictly as coach without final say on personnel. And bringing in Mallet to compete is intriguing. I don't hate it.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

The same Mike Lombardi that thought Haden was too slow :(

Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, the national outlets are attaching their names to the rumors now. Sources reporting that both Shurmur and Heckert are aware of their imminent dismissals. Ugh.

Iím fine with Haslam firing Shurmur. Itís a result-oriented business. Shurmur hasnít delivered consistent results and hasnít proven to be an inspired choice. But Heckert? That stings some. Because Heckert has delivered results since joining the team as general manager. Iíve said it before. When Holmgren hired Heckert to be his personnel point man, the Browns were a strong contender for being the least talented team in the NFL. Heckert turned that roster over, broadened the talent base, and laid a promising foundation in a short period of time. For the first time in a long time, the Browns have an impressionable roster with a lot of contributors that havenít even hit their second contract. Itís unfortunate Heckert wonít get the chance to continue that pipeline.

As for the other rumors, I donít think it matters much. Joe Banner is the franchiseís decision-maker now. Thatís decided. The writing has been on the wall since Haslam took over. Banner replaced Holmgren and wasnít going to work with a general manager that was part of a faction that tried to oust him in a power struggle in Philadelphia. In that vein, Michael Lombardi is a sensible candidate. Brings a credible name to sell to the fan base as a former executive. But hasnít accrued enough clout around the league to survive at a high-level position past Cleveland. In terms of organizational politics, itís a win-win for Banner. He grabs the reins, solidifies his spot within the structure, and minimizes his exposure to another power struggle. Smart move on his part.

Iím cautious about what comes next for Cleveland. Banner is a shrewd operator with abrasive potential. Being shrewd is a tremendous trait as a capologist. But weíre not limiting the scope of his duties to financial stewardship. Heís going to be the lead negotiator and ultimate decision-maker. Being abrasive can push contested discussions past the point of contentiousness. Agents (and their clients) talk. Words spread in NFL circles. And, while he was part of a brain trust that stabilized the Eagles as consistent contenders, his evaluation skills are untested as the final evaluator. In Philadelphia, Heckert and Reid supported him. Two accomplished, skilled evaluators in their own right.

I didnít think McDaniels would get another shot so soon, but if heís brought aboard, I hope thereís enough sense to keep his meddling out of the personnel department. Itís rare to see someone gut their team to the degree that he did. And, Iím not an NFL owner, but at least exploring a triumvirate of Reid-Heckert-??? seems better than a first-choice of McDaniels-Lombardi-Banner.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Word is the FO wants a "fresh face" for the coaching position a la Chip Kelly. If that's the desired way to go about things I would love to see David Shaw on our sidelines. But with how he just got a new extension and has solid job security for at least the immediate future now I would say that is essentially dissolved as a possibility.

I'm not a Lombardi fan at all and that's being polite; however I'm unsure of how things went in Oakland. Al may have just used him as a puppet (whatever that means) and his influence may have been minimal. I'm rather nervous with this coming offseason.

No choice but to wait and see.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No doubt they will clean house and fire Shurmur and Heckert. Please, don't let it be Lombardi, he was nothing but a 'yes' man for Al Davis and never was responsible for a draft.
I'm also not crazy about hiring a college HC, 95% of them have been complete flops.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lombardiís passiveness is the reason heís a leading candidate. I donít think it matters that much. The next general manager is going to be a glorified personnel director. Banner is going to be the shot-caller. If Banner hires Lombardi, he will sell it as a noticeable name coming back to Cleveland to finish what he started with Belichick or something along those sentimental lines. All while consolidating his control.

As for coaches, I donít mind going the college route. Their success is predicated on their pro preparedness. For me, five coaches have piqued NFL interest. Nick Saban at Alabama, Bill OíBrien at Penn State, David Shaw at Stanford, Chip Kelly at Oregon, and Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Saban is a disciplinarian that develops talent and demands detail awareness. Young squad could benefit from those methods. OíBrien was handed an impossible job and made the most of it. Penn State improved throughout the season and being part of New England doesnít hurt him either. Shaw has NFL roots and established success of his own at Stanford, but I donít believe heís looking to make the jump to the next level right now. Chip is regarded as an offensive mad scientist and fits the reported profile of what our decision-makers are looking for. Heís a huge blip on a lot of radars right now though. What separates Cleveland? What makes it more attractive? Fitzgerald is energetic and a worthwhile interview, but I would pass for a more polished candidate in all likelihood. Unless the philosophies were just identical matches.

As for needs, first and foremost, the new staff is going to have to answer the ongoing quarterback dilemma. Weeden wasnít good enough to guarantee his second season. A new coach might want his own quarterback. That puts Wilson, Smith, and whoever rises as real possibilities for the sixth overall pick. I havenít watched too much of the bunch, but right now, I think Iím more inclined to grab a pass-rusher or cornerback at that spot. From what Iíve seen, I like the front seven depth of this class quite a bit. In the mid-rounds, I would love a mauling, road-grading guard. I think itís a critical need. Weíve got a workhorse runner with high-end potential. It would be wise to put some real pushers in front of him. Shield blockers just ainít cutting it. So make a strength even stronger. Perhaps grab another developmental tight end, too.

In regards to free agents, there are options available at two positions with potential to address holes. Receivers and free safeties. Both Bowe and Jennings would complement our current crop of receivers. Bowe would add another big target and perimeter blocker. Jennings would add savviness we donít have within the group. In terms of safeties, I would love Byrd, Goldson, or Phillips. Out of the bunch, I think Phillips is the likeliest. If I recall, the Giants arenít working with much too cap space. A sizeable offer could squeeze New York into abandoning their pursuit. Itís a risk given his medical concerns, but itís a calculated one. This defense needs a centerfielder with range. Might even explore Andre Smithís value and kick him inside to guard.

(Note: I donít expect to sign two or three of the names listed. Cleveland would have to hand out larger contracts to secure their services and Banner favors a cost-effective approach. But I hope the Browns are at least listening to the bidding in the beginning. This team was competitive within the division this season. There are still holes to be filled, and a premier pick is being forfeited, but there are opportunities for improvement out there.)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
Lombardiís passiveness is the reason heís a leading candidate. I donít think it matters that much. The next general manager is going to be a glorified personnel director. Banner is going to be the shot-caller. If Banner hires Lombardi, he will sell it as a noticeable name coming back to Cleveland to finish what he started with Belichick or something along those sentimental lines. All while consolidating his control.

Quote:
We need a solid personnel guy, period and Lombardi just isn't it. We don't need fluff at this stage, we need a solid FO guy who knows talent or we are looking at another decade of doing nothing.

As for coaches, I donít mind going the college route. Their success is predicated on their pro preparedness. For me, five coaches have piqued NFL interest. Nick Saban at Alabama, Bill OíBrien at Penn State, David Shaw at Stanford, Chip Kelly at Oregon, and Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Saban is a disciplinarian that develops talent and demands detail awareness. Young squad could benefit from those methods. OíBrien was handed an impossible job and made the most of it. Penn State improved throughout the season and being part of New England doesnít hurt him either. Shaw has NFL roots and established success of his own at Stanford, but I donít believe heís looking to make the jump to the next level right now. Chip is regarded as an offensive mad scientist and fits the reported profile of what our decision-makers are looking for. Heís a huge blip on a lot of radars right now though. What separates Cleveland? What makes it more attractive? Fitzgerald is energetic and a worthwhile interview, but I would pass for a more polished candidate in all likelihood. Unless the philosophies were just identical matches.

Quote:
We tried a college HC in the past which was a disaster, so did Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and Oakland. They were all total flops. Winning in college doesn't mean squat at the next level.
O'Brien is a possibility but you have to wonder how much the scandal at Penn St. actually motivated his team just like Pagano's illness motivated the Colts. I wouldn't touch O'Brien until he puts a solid 2nd season on the board. Being from New England has been a disaster for the teams that took BB's coordinators.

As for needs, first and foremost, the new staff is going to have to answer the ongoing quarterback dilemma. Weeden wasnít good enough to guarantee his second season. A new coach might want his own quarterback. That puts Wilson, Smith, and whoever rises as real possibilities for the sixth overall pick. I havenít watched too much of the bunch, but right now, I think Iím more inclined to grab a pass-rusher or cornerback at that spot. From what Iíve seen, I like the front seven depth of this class quite a bit. In the mid-rounds, I would love a mauling, road-grading guard. I think itís a critical need. Weíve got a workhorse runner with high-end potential. It would be wise to put some real pushers in front of him. Shield blockers just ainít cutting it. So make a strength even stronger. Perhaps grab another developmental tight end, too.

Quote:
We are stuck with Weedon and I think he will be OK for another 3 or 4 seasons till age drops him out of sight. WE aren't going to draft another QB with out #1 pick this year. Through poor management, we lost out on RG111 and we will regret it for another decade.

In regards to free agents, there are options available at two positions with potential to address holes. Receivers and free safeties. Both Bowe and Jennings would complement our current crop of receivers. Bowe would add another big target and perimeter blocker. Jennings would add savviness we donít have within the group. In terms of safeties, I would love Byrd, Goldson, or Phillips. Out of the bunch, I think Phillips is the likeliest. If I recall, the Giants arenít working with much too cap space. A sizeable offer could squeeze New York into abandoning their pursuit. Itís a risk given his medical concerns, but itís a calculated one. This defense needs a centerfielder with range. Might even explore Andre Smithís value and kick him inside to guard.

(Note: I donít expect to sign two or three of the names listed. Cleveland would have to hand out larger contracts to secure their services and Banner favors a cost-effective approach. But I hope the Browns are at least listening to the bidding in the beginning. This team was competitive within the division this season. There are still holes to be filled, and a premier pick is being forfeited, but there are opportunities for improvement out there.)
Our fate lies in Weedon and how much he improves in a year or 2, but his career will be very short at best. As for Banner, he will be under immense pressure to win now and he will be active in FA. I cannot see our fan base accepting mediocrity for another season for a cost effective approach.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Cudders you're a Browns fan??

I read that it will be difficult for us to land a household personnel person since it wouldn't be regarded as anything more than a lateral move. Caldwell from ATL would have been nice. Moreover, I also read in a tweet that it is likely our HC selects the GM. Not sure how I feel about that after experiencing the Mangini era.

Edit: just read we have 4 candidates: 2 college, 2 pro. One of the pro prospects being Aaron Kromer.

Last edited by BuckeyeDan17 : 12-31-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
We need a solid personnel guy, period and Lombardi just isn't it. We don't need fluff at this stage, we need a solid FO guy who knows talent or we are looking at another decade of doing nothing.
Youíre not going to find a coveted, talented personnel person thatís willing to cede roster control to a team president. Itís just not going to happen. I donít love the direction, but it is what it is. When Haslam hired Banner, our ultimate decision-maker was decided for us. We had a solid general manager. We fired him. Banner is replacing all of his rivals.

Quote:
We tried a college HC in the past which was a disaster, so did Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and Oakland. They were all total flops. Winning in college doesn't mean squat at the next level.
Butch Davis might be one of the best football coaches weíve had since the return, too. He was downright awful in terms of personnel, but he squeezed some wins out of those underwhelming teams.

And not all college coaches are just cookie-cutters of the same coach. Steve Spurrier never devoted much attention to his protections. Nick Saban wouldnít make the same mistake. Heís detail-oriented. Plus, Iím not prepared to chalk Sabanís tenure in the NFL as an abject failure. He wanted Drew Brees. The team doctors and medical staff vetoed him. His NFL narrative could be quite different if that decision were reversed.

How is Jim Harbaugh doing? Pete Carroll? Greg Schiano? Itís the person and not their previous position.

Quote:
O'Brien is a possibility but you have to wonder how much the scandal at Penn St. actually motivated his team just like Pagano's illness motivated the Colts. I wouldn't touch O'Brien until he puts a solid 2nd season on the board. Being from New England has been a disaster for the teams that took BB's coordinators.
I donít think the scandal helped Matt McGloin become a much better, more efficient quarterback. I think Bill OíBrienís tutelage had something to do with that. Penn State started the season 0-2. Rather than break under the weight of the circumstances, OíBrien rallied them and guided them to a respectable record. He did a masterful job coaching that team.

Quote:
We are stuck with Weedon and I think he will be OK for another 3 or 4 seasons till age drops him out of sight. WE aren't going to draft another QB with out #1 pick this year. Through poor management, we lost out on RG111 and we will regret it for another decade.
We arenít stuck with Weeden. With the new rookie wage scale, Weedenís cap hold isnít huge. Compared to most quarterbacks, we donít have much invested in him. Would we take a big loss on the value of our asset? Sure would. But if the new coach (or owner) wants a new quarterback, Weedenís position within the team is jeopardized.

Quote:
Our fate lies in Weedon and how much he improves in a year or 2, but his career will be very short at best. As for Banner, he will be under immense pressure to win now and he will be active in FA. I cannot see our fan base accepting mediocrity for another season for a cost effective approach.
If retained, Weedenís development is critical to Clevelandís campaign. Thatís one of the reasons that Bill OíBrien appeals to me. Going into his sophomore season, Weeden needs to get acclimated with another offensive scheme. As a former quarterback coach, I believe that OíBrien would take some steps to smooth that transition. Weeden doesnít have seasons to waste. The flashes were nice, but he needs to become a consistent quarterback now.

As for the second point, Iím still not sold that we will be big-time spenders in the free agent market. In Philadelphia, Banner was stringent with re-signing homegrown products. Granted, he was still part of the organization when the Eagles splashed a ton of cash in 2011, but I donít know if thatís a good thing. The results of that experiment were disastrous and might just reinforce previous philosophies.

Could Haslam hand Banner a mandate? Sure, itís possible. He doesnít have an established track record of a particular method. For now, Iím just not sold that weíre dedicated to targeting high-profile free agents and meeting the price tags that come with it.

Quote:
Cudders you're a Browns fan??

I read that it will be difficult for us to land a household personnel person since it wouldn't be regarded as anything more than a lateral move. Caldwell from ATL would have been nice. Moreover, I also read in a tweet that it is likely our HC selects the GM. Not sure how I feel about that after experiencing the Mangini era.

Edit: just read we have 4 candidates: 2 college, 2 pro. One of the pro prospects being Aaron Kromer.
I sure am.

Since we arenít going to attract the best available candidates, I donít mind waiting for the head coachís input in the general manager selection, I guess. Hope to be unified in vision at least. Form one of the most cohesive batteries in the NFL.

And, given what we know now, that would mean Marrone and OíBrien from the college ranks? Horton and Kromer from the pros? I think Iím an OíBrien lean.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Maronne is interviewing this week, it's reported we have interest in O'Brien. I also saw a report Kelly is our #1 target.

I'm okay with all of those candidates. I have read in other forums that there are people are concerned about his system translating. I don't think he would be trying to implement his exact system in Cleveland, but create something that suites the pieces we have and exploit the potential mismatcbes they cause.

My concern about Kelly is that Oregon hasn't fielded particularly impressive defenses kn his tenure, if we hire a good coordinator I wouldn't be that concerned since he would spend more time with the offense anyway.

I was really hoping we would at least express interest in Shaw. *shrugs*

Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

[quote=Cudders;3229015]

And not all college coaches are just cookie-cutters of the same coach. Steve Spurrier never devoted much attention to his protections. Nick Saban wouldnít make the same mistake. Heís detail-oriented. Plus, Iím not prepared to chalk Sabanís tenure in the NFL as an abject failure. He wanted Drew Brees. The team doctors and medical staff vetoed him. His NFL narrative could be quite different if that decision were reversed.

How is Jim Harbaugh doing? Pete Carroll? Greg Schiano? Itís the person and not their previous position.

Come on, Pete Carroll was previously, a HC in the NFL with the Jets and the jury is still out on Schiano. One thing these 3 guys had was extensive tenure in the NFL.
O'Brien had one good season at Penn St. with a lot of emotional impetus behind him. I'd still like to see another successful season out of him before putting our future all on him.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Quote:
Maronne is interviewing this week, it's reported we have interest in O'Brien. I also saw a report Kelly is our #1 target.

I'm okay with all of those candidates. I have read in other forums that there are people are concerned about his system translating. I don't think he would be trying to implement his exact system in Cleveland, but create something that suites the pieces we have and exploit the potential mismatcbes they cause.

My concern about Kelly is that Oregon hasn't fielded particularly impressive defenses kn his tenure, if we hire a good coordinator I wouldn't be that concerned since he would spend more time with the offense anyway.

I was really hoping we would at least express interest in Shaw. *shrugs*
Iím quite curious about Chip. From what Iíve heard, heís a certifiable offensive genius. And I do believe that a no-huddle, up-tempo ďbaseĒ is the future of the NFL. The next popular wrinkle that each team tries to run. I wouldnít mind getting one of the conceptís masterminds to implement it here. For me, itís not just about the maximum speed of their offense. Itís about the flexible speed of their offense. In its highest gear, itís a total blur. But I love that heís willing to downshift some and even pump the brakes from time to time. That takes defensive disruption to the next level.

If heís as smart as reported, heís not going to bring a replica of his college offense and install it in the NFL. He will adapt and evolve. In college, his advantage lies in assembling a supreme package of speed and overwhelming opponents with it. Including the quarterback position. I think he realizes that the team speed differential in the NFL is much narrower. Plus, if he comes to Cleveland with an identical scheme, he doesnít have a mobile quarterback to run all of the zone read concepts heís shown. In order to run an exact model of that offense, we would need to sign Michael Vick AND invest a third- or fourth-rounder in a backup. Could trade Weeden or a draft pick for a more mobile option, too. But, again, I donít think heís rigid in regards to scheme. I think heís capable of bending to fit his personnel and building a new persona. Thatís something that needs to be uncovered in the interviews though.

If heís the eventual choice, I couldnít agree more about handcuffing him to a defensive coordinator with a strong pedigree. Overall, I just donít know what our shots at landing him are. Most teams want to fill their vacancies with a bright offensive mind. Heís being billed as the next offensive wizard. Heís going to have his choice of jobs. In that case, Haslamís pockets would have to be the decider.

In the event that a defensive coach is chosen, I would want to link them with a reputable offensive coordinator, too. Norv Turner isnít the sexiest name after disastrous stints as a head coach, but for me, heís the first-choice candidate in that case. As long as that head coach was willing to work with him, Iíd let Turner name his price. Heís proven and reliable. He might not be as creative or inventive, but straightforward football isnít broken. Turner knows offense and weíve got suitable pieces.

Quote:
Come on, Pete Carroll was previously, a HC in the NFL with the Jets and the jury is still out on Schiano. One thing these 3 guys had was extensive tenure in the NFL. O'Brien had one good season at Penn St. with a lot of emotional impetus behind him. I'd still like to see another successful season out of him before putting our future all on him.
But heís still a ďcollegeĒ coach thatís having success in Seattle. Harbaugh is a resounding success in San Francisco. College coaches know football, too. Davis failed in Cleveland because he was a downright dreadful personnel man. Spurrier failed in Washington because he was arrogant. Petrino failed in Atlanta because he was a quitter that preferred the college game. Coming from college doesnít define coaches. Now, hiring a college coach requires more diligence in the interview process, but I wouldnít dismiss collegiate candidates altogether. Thereís talented coaches in Division I.

Doug Marrone was an NFL assistant for seven seasons with the Jets and Saints. Bill OíBrien was an NFL assistant for five seasons with the Patriots. These arenít NFL newbies. I donít know if Marrone or OíBrien are destined for NFL greatness or not. But I know that coming from college wonít be the chief cause of whatever shortcomings that are present.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Greg A. Bedard - Simplified play calls are all the rage on the college level, where OíBrien has transferred the Patriotsí package ó dubbed ďNASCARĒ at Penn State ó to the Nittany Lions, who ran 39 plays in just more than a quarter to erase a 28-17 deficit to defeat Northwestern, 39-28, Saturday.

That previously mentioned lengthy West Coast play call? Itís the same one ESPN analyst Jon Gruden threw at former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton on his QB Camp television special.

Newton was at a loss to equate an Auburn play to an NFL play. Newton was ridiculed nationally because critics thought it showed that Newton couldnít handle a pro offense.

But what people didnít realize at the time was Newtonís subsequent answer, when Gruden talked about Auburn using the no-huddle a lot, was actually more telling.

ďOur method is Ďsimplistic equals fast,Ē Newton said. ďItís so simple as far as, you look to the sideline [and] you see Ď36í on the board. And thatís a play. And weíre off.Ē

What people didnít get, because the NFL is slow to evolve, is that Newton was actually showing them a glimpse of the future.

The NFL is a copycat league, so only when someone with job security ó like Belichick ó tries something new and it works does it spread across the professional ranks.

Belichick has learned that if itís going on in college, then itís coming to the NFL. Thatís the talent pool, and you should accentuate the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of that talent.

Thanks to guys like Chip Kelly, college players entering the NFL are playing offensive football faster than ever. So that means more teams are going to go faster and faster on offense.

The Patriots are already there, as everyone saw against the Broncos, thanks to one word.
This is really interesting. And I'd say the recent Banner signing of back-up Josh Johnson, a Kelly style QB, is an indication this is the philosophy he's aiming for.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
Iím quite curious about Chip. From what Iíve heard, heís a certifiable offensive genius. And I do believe that a no-huddle, up-tempo ďbaseĒ is the future of the NFL. The next popular wrinkle that each team tries to run. I wouldnít mind getting one of the conceptís masterminds to implement it here. For me, itís not just about the maximum speed of their offense. Itís about the flexible speed of their offense. In its highest gear, itís a total blur. But I love that heís willing to downshift some and even pump the brakes from time to time. That takes defensive disruption to the next level.

If heís as smart as reported, heís not going to bring a replica of his college offense and install it in the NFL. He will adapt and evolve. In college, his advantage lies in assembling a supreme package of speed and overwhelming opponents with it. Including the quarterback position. I think he realizes that the team speed differential in the NFL is much narrower. Plus, if he comes to Cleveland with an identical scheme, he doesnít have a mobile quarterback to run all of the zone read concepts heís shown. In order to run an exact model of that offense, we would need to sign Michael Vick AND invest a third- or fourth-rounder in a backup. Could trade Weeden or a draft pick for a more mobile option, too. But, again, I donít think heís rigid in regards to scheme. I think heís capable of bending to fit his personnel and building a new persona. Thatís something that needs to be uncovered in the interviews though.

If heís the eventual choice, I couldnít agree more about handcuffing him to a defensive coordinator with a strong pedigree. Overall, I just donít know what our shots at landing him are. Most teams want to fill their vacancies with a bright offensive mind. Heís being billed as the next offensive wizard. Heís going to have his choice of jobs. In that case, Haslamís pockets would have to be the decider.

In the event that a defensive coach is chosen, I would want to link them with a reputable offensive coordinator, too. Norv Turner isnít the sexiest name after disastrous stints as a head coach, but for me, heís the first-choice candidate in that case. As long as that head coach was willing to work with him, Iíd let Turner name his price. Heís proven and reliable. He might not be as creative or inventive, but straightforward football isnít broken. Turner knows offense and weíve got suitable pieces.

But heís still a ďcollegeĒ coach thatís having success in Seattle. Harbaugh is a resounding success in San Francisco. College coaches know football, too. Davis failed in Cleveland because he was a downright dreadful personnel man. Spurrier failed in Washington because he was arrogant. Petrino failed in Atlanta because he was a quitter that preferred the college game. Coming from college doesnít define coaches. Now, hiring a college coach requires more diligence in the interview process, but I wouldnít dismiss collegiate candidates altogether. Thereís talented coaches in Division I.

Doug Marrone was an NFL assistant for seven seasons with the Jets and Saints. Bill OíBrien was an NFL assistant for five seasons with the Patriots. These arenít NFL newbies. I donít know if Marrone or OíBrien are destined for NFL greatness or not. But I know that coming from college wonít be the chief cause of whatever shortcomings that are present.
I don't like the success ratio of college HC's who try pro football but I would accept a college HC if he had an extensive pro resume like Carroll, Harbough and say O'Brien or Marrone, but I shudder to think about hiring a college HC with no NFL experience.

If Weedon can show a strong improvement next season, the Brown's might actually be competitive but we need to find a true #1 receiver for him and we need to find a solid HC, both carry no guarantees but let's hope for the best.