Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The only way Connecticut makes sense is if the ACC decides to become a basketball conference. They are letting their expansion be dictated by basketball when football is the big money-maker.

UCONN doesn't really add a great market. If they want a a good basketball team, Louisville adds a better football team and a slightly larger market. UCF and USF offer much larger markets (though Miami and Florida State already help there), huge enrollments (UCF is #2, USF #8), good facilities. All would be better than UCONN.
I think the ACC is still naively sticking to the idea that geography matters.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Apparently that source was full of crap

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Maryland prez tells regents MD, RU in Leaders Division w/OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue & Indiana. Illinois moves to Legends

Makes much more sense.
Going to be tough. Sounds amazing though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BC would probably be happy to get UConn so they could get a geographical rival. To me, I always figured that's who would replace them but I could see any of those teams being good choices. For some reason I already thought Louisville and Cincy were committed to follow WV to the Big 12 but I guess that was all just rumors.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
That division is much easier now that Penn State is being gutted. Outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin it's very soft.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
BC would probably be happy to get UConn so they could get a geographical rival. To me, I always figured that's who would replace them but I could see any of those teams being good choices. For some reason I already thought Louisville and Cincy were committed to follow WV to the Big 12 but I guess that was all just rumors.
I think Louisville and Cincy would take any life raft they can get at this point.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That division is much easier now that Penn State is being gutted. Outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin it's very soft.
I guess. I don't know what to expect now. This really is such an unbelievable thing to wrap my head around.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Penn State and Rutgers had a home-and-home scheduled in 2014-2015. I guess it'll be expanded to a yearly thing now :-P

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Penn State and Rutgers had a home-and-home scheduled in 2014-2015. I guess it'll be expanded to a yearly thing now :-P
Yup and a month ago we announced a home and home with Maryland. Weird since they knew what was going on.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the ACC is still naively sticking to the idea that geography matters.
That went out the window when SDSU and Boise State joined the Big EAST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Holy crap, I just realized I have the Big 10 Network.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to remember to cancel big ten network once the seasons over. 3 Buckeyes games against usually weaker opponents certainly isn't worth paying for the offseason.

Same goes for Showtime when Homeland ends.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

I feel like we've been going down this path for a bit but...the Big East has to lose its Automatic BCS bowl bid sooner than later right? They are poised to lose at least 2 more decent-to-relevant football teams, with probably two more to follow as you've gotta believe the Big 12 will try and keep up and add at least 2 more programs...

Part of me kinda feels bad for Boise State, they probably are gonna be stuck outside of a major conference due to not having the academics to legitimately get in.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I feel like we've been going down this path for a bit but...the Big East has to lose its Automatic BCS bowl bid sooner than later right? They are poised to lose at least 2 more decent-to-relevant football teams, with probably two more to follow as you've gotta believe the Big 12 will try and keep up and add at least 2 more programs...

Part of me kinda feels bad for Boise State, they probably are gonna be stuck outside of a major conference due to not having the academics to legitimately get in.
They've already lost it. When the playoff starts the BE only gets an auto if their team finishes higher than the other 2nd tier conferences.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Oh, I was under the impression that they were still going to keep some of the "BCS Bowls" intact and that the Big East champion would still get to play in one of those. Good to know.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Now the Big 10 can claim they are the birthplace of college football. I bet anything they promote the crap out of that. Also I think by far we're the oldest school in conference by at least 50 years.
That's one of the main reasons why I've suggested Rutgers as a B1G target several times in the past. They can now claim they are the birthplace of college football and they have the potential to get the viewers in the NYC area for the BTN.

I think what Delaney did with Maryland and Rutgers is a very shrewd move. For now I see the B1G staying put at 14 but that 16 will become a reality closer to 2017. Who knows what will happen by then with realignment?

UVA, UNC, GT, and, as always, ND likely top the list of B1G targets. I could see UVA going to the B1G if it meant that VT gets an SEC invite just so that the state could have their two premier universities in the two top sports conferences.

Like Shane, I have a hard time seeing UNC going anywhere without Duke, at least. Hell, Tobacco Road is going to be extremely difficult to break up. Georgia Tech, on the other hand, would be interested and would make an interesting fit.

The biggest drawback I see to adding Georgia Tech is that they have relatively few fans compared to the schools that surround them. It would also be difficult to get cable providers to offer the BTN in Atlanta and the surrounding areas especially when Slive and the SEC are in the midst of building their own SEC Network.

Maybe it's just the known desire of Delaney's to add Notre Dame but I feel that this move to poach an ACC was in part done to weaken the conference ND joined. With the Irish's bowl selection chances weakened by their recent agreement with the Orange Bowl, it could push them to join a conference especially with a playoff looming.

I could also be spit-balling but I'm sure Delaney knows that he would have a better chance of bringing in the NYC/DC viewing area with the Irish in the fold. It's a long-shot for sure but I think it's still in play especially a few years down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The only way Connecticut makes sense is if the ACC decides to become a basketball conference. They are letting their expansion be dictated by basketball when football is the big money-maker.

UCONN doesn't really add a great market. If they want a a good basketball team, Louisville adds a better football team and a slightly larger market. UCF and USF offer much larger markets (though Miami and Florida State already help there), huge enrollments (UCF is #2, USF #8), good facilities. All would be better than UCONN.
Really, the main reason why UConn is ahead of Louisville is due to academics. The lowest ranked university in the ACC according to US News is N.C. State at #106. UConn is ranked #63 while Louisville is ranked a distant #160. The ACC could justify adding UConn in that they meet their academic standards and have one of the more reputable basketball programs in the country. Forget that Louisville is better at football and just as competitive in basketball - they don't meet the academic criteria, especially when universities like UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Virginia (just to name a few) are in the conference.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
That's one of the main reasons why I've suggested Rutgers as a B1G target several times in the past. They can now claim they are the birthplace of college football and they have the potential to get the viewers in the NYC area for the BTN.

I think what Delaney did with Maryland and Rutgers is a very shrewd move. For now I see the B1G staying put at 14 but that 16 will become a reality closer to 2017. Who knows what will happen by then with realignment?

UVA, UNC, GT, and, as always, ND likely top the list of B1G targets. I could see UVA going to the B1G if it meant that VT gets an SEC invite just so that the state could have their two premier universities in the two top sports conferences.

Like Shane, I have a hard time seeing UNC going anywhere without Duke, at least. Hell, Tobacco Road is going to be extremely difficult to break up. Georgia Tech, on the other hand, would be interested and would make an interesting fit.

The biggest drawback I see to adding Georgia Tech is that they have relatively few fans compared to the schools that surround them. It would also be difficult to get cable providers to offer the BTN in Atlanta and the surrounding areas especially when Slive and the SEC are in the midst of building their own SEC Network.

Maybe it's just the known desire of Delaney's to add Notre Dame but I feel that this move to poach an ACC was in part done to weaken the conference ND joined. With the Irish's bowl selection chances weakened by their recent agreement with the Orange Bowl, it could push them to join a conference especially with a playoff looming.

I could also be spit-balling but I'm sure Delaney knows that he would have a better chance of bringing in the NYC/DC viewing area with the Irish in the fold. It's a long-shot for sure but I think it's still in play especially a few years down the road.

Really, the main reason why UConn is ahead of Louisville is due to academics. The lowest ranked university in the ACC according to US News is N.C. State at #106. UConn is ranked #63 while Louisville is ranked a distant #160. The ACC could justify adding UConn in that they meet their academic standards and have one of the more reputable basketball programs in the country. Forget that Louisville is better at football and just as competitive in basketball - they don't meet the academic criteria, especially when universities like UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Virginia (just to name a few) are in the conference.
Good thoughts. I think the conference will move to 16 teams before the next round of television contracts. That's where the $$$ will explode.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boise State, San Diego State, and BYU are in talks with the Mountain West about rejoining

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rn-sources-say

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah I was wondering if this would happen. Frankly, there's not much reason to kill your traveling budget to play teams like Temple and Central Florida, especially when you all have the same shot at bowl access.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Good move by them. I feel bad for some of these schools but oh well. Temple must be livid haha.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Temple is a school I feel really bad for. They are gonna be in no man's land again except they actually have a solid program and facilities this time around. At this point, the Big East might as well just dissolve and any team worth anything better hope their former conference or the Big 12 wants them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

We're going to try and pay the BE more money to leave early. We might be in by next year!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Yeah I was wondering if this would happen. Frankly, there's not much reason to kill your traveling budget to play teams like Temple and Central Florida, especially when you all have the same shot at bowl access.
Agreed. I think the Western teams of the Big East should just split off and form their own conference. See if Boise State, San Diego State, and BYU could form a core and include teams like Air Force, Tulsa, S.M.U., Houston, New Mexico, U.N.L.V., Fresno State, Nevada, and UTEP. It's like a cherry picked Western Conference.

Quote:
Temple is a school I feel really bad for. They are gonna be in no man's land again except they actually have a solid program and facilities this time around. At this point, the Big East might as well just dissolve and any team worth anything better hope their former conference or the Big 12 wants them.
I kinda feel bad for Temple too. Gotta think that their only hope to remain viable is an invite to the ACC that I doubt will come. Although, they are ranked 125th in academics, which isn't too bad and have a solid basketball program and an improving football team.

If the ACC wanted to try and help prevent any further defections they could just jump to 16 and invite 3 of UConn, Temple, Louisville, and Cincinnati. But I highly doubt they do that.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-19-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Temple is going to be the only remaining northeastern school left in the Big East. Lousiville and the Western schools will find a place, but Temple, Cinci, and the Big East Florida schools are in a pretty poor position.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Temple is going to be the only remaining northeastern school left in the Big East. Lousiville and the Western schools will find a place, but Temple, Cinci, and the Big East Florida schools are in a pretty poor position.
Unless, somehow, Cincy is invited to the Big 12.

That or Cincy, Temple, USF, and UCF carry on the Big East with Memphis, UMass, East Carolina, Southern Miss, and..... ah **** it.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

I was looking through teams last night too, the Big East's only hope at this point would be for teams from the FCS to get ready to make the jump. Villanova is one team that could probably make the jump relatively easily. There are rumblings that George Mason could be ready to start up a football program in the not-so-distant future and they could at least have the resources to be legit.

That being said, the C-USA schools could easily back out too because of that Group of Five rule putting that conference on even ground as well. Perhaps an East/West Big East/WAC merger? That's all I got...haha

sig by BoneKrusher