Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Side topic, Desean Jackson is out for the year with fractured ribs.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I think we're going to the playoffs so that would prevent Garrett from being fired despite the talk of it. I just want him off playcalling mainly.

I mean seriously... the QB sneak on 1st and 10 was absolutely ridiculous.
D-Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Side topic, Desean Jackson is out for the year with fractured ribs.
I wasn't worried about the Eagles but now I'm expecting this to be our biggest blowout of the year that will make everyone feel great about the Cowboys again.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Top 3 reasons why folks hate Jerry.

I wanna hear them.
1. He destroyed a Dynasty when his ego ran off Jimmy

2. Instead of sticking with what hes great at, marketing and the buisness side, he wanted to be known as a "football guy" and its been a hugh blunder, see 1 playoff win in 16-17 years.

3. A good owner would have fired a GM with his record 10 years ago. Again his ego is so big that he wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl on his terms and without any Jimmy influences or players even if it means going through 20 coaches and 30 years. Someday a coach will come here and change the way things are ran and will win big here and Jerry will be there to take all the credit.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wasn't worried about the Eagles but now I'm expecting this to be our biggest blowout of the year that will make everyone feel great about the Cowboys again.
It could be a blowout if Shady and Vick don't play.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
1. He destroyed a Dynasty when his ego ran off Jimmy

2. Instead of sticking with what hes great at, marketing and the buisness side, he wanted to be known as a "football guy" and its been a hugh blunder, see 1 playoff win in 16-17 years.

3. A good owner would have fired a GM with his record 10 years ago. Again his ego is so big that he wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl on his terms and without any Jimmy influences or players even if it means going through 20 coaches and 30 years. Someday a coach will come here and change the way things are ran and will win big here and Jerry will be there to take all the credit.
Yup, a lot of people can't seem to get over that even though we won 3 SBs with that team. But those expectations are unrealistic. What'd you expect? 5 SBs??? Good Lord. What we did WAS a Dynasty. You guys have to get over that one.

What's the whole fuss about him wanting credit? I don't get it. He gets enough blame that if good comes around, shouldn't he get credit???

The losses must go back to him. I get that part. He's made a lot of bad HC hires which I think is the real issue here. Especially since he lets his coaches heavily influence player personnel moves.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

So are you saying that Jerry isn't the problem?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yup, a lot of people can't seem to get over that even though we won 3 SBs with that team. But those expectations are unrealistic. What'd you expect? 5 SBs??? Good Lord. What we did WAS a Dynasty. You guys have to get over that one.

What's the whole fuss about him wanting credit? I don't get it. He gets enough blame that if good comes around, shouldn't he get credit???

The losses must go back to him. I get that part. He's made a lot of bad HC hires which I think is the real issue here. Especially since he lets his coaches heavily influence player personnel moves.
If Jimmy would have stayed here instead of going to Miami, you telling me we wouldnt have? Imagine a Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas to the D we already had! Ummm yes 5 or more would have been possible. When was the last time you saw Mara or Kraft saying me, me, me, I, I, I? If Kraft was like Jerry, Belichick wouldnt be there cuz he gets to much credit.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
If Jimmy would have stayed here instead of going to Miami, you telling me we wouldnt have? Imagine a Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas to the D we already had! Ummm yes 5 or more would have been possible. When was the last time you saw Mara or Kraft saying me, me, me, I, I, I? If Kraft was like Jerry, Belichick wouldnt be there cuz he gets to much credit.
C'mon man, it's not a reality that we would've taken those guys if Jimmy was here. That's waaaaay too presumtuous. The draft has so many twists and turns based off availability, need, and a million other variables. Jeez.

Jimmy didn't do jack crap after he left Dallas. Period.

...the teams we battled like the 49ers were just as talented as we were. To assume that we would've just gone on to win 5 SBs with ease is
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So are you saying that Jerry isn't the problem?
No, I don't think Jerry is the one problem that solves all.

I think he's made bad choices. I think he's made good choices. I think he is different than when he first started and that he has learned a lot along the way. I think he's better than a lot of other owners out there. I think he set himself up with high expectations after his early successful start. I think every team wishes to build a dynasty, but the fact is that only a very few teams have. Our fans want the Cowboys to repeat their success, but it't not like the rest of the 31 teams out there are winning SBs while the Cowboys are not.

Is Jerry the best GM? No. Is he better than most? I think so. Is he going anywhere soon? No. Does that mean we can't win a SB? I don't think so.

We just have to find the right coach again. We were in the pits when Parcells turned this team around. But he did it WITH Jerry around. We need to take it to the next step, and we haven't had the right coach to do it yet.

Sean Payton isn't the golden ticket either. He's had his share of flops. I haven't loved the Saints drafts. He's damn lucky to have Brees.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
C'mon man, it's not a reality that we would've taken those guys if Jimmy was here. That's waaaaay too presumtuous. The draft has so many twists and turns based off availability, need, and a million other variables. Jeez.

Jimmy didn't do jack crap after he left Dallas. Period.

...the teams we battled like the 49ers were just as talented as we were. To assume that we would've just gone on to win 5 SBs with ease is
Ummmm who said that? I said would have been POSSIBLE. Jimmy didnt have the same success in Miami but made the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years he was there. What have we done since he left? I can guarantee that we wouldnt have had the **** drafts we had if he would have stayed.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope he had learned his lesson about trading picks out of desperation. The Joey Galloway and Roy Williams deals mucked up player development twice in the last 10 years.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I just hope he had learned his lesson about trading picks out of desperation. The Joey Galloway and Roy Williams deals mucked up player development twice in the last 10 years.
I think this is very valid criticism of Jerry...and one perception that holds true. If Jerry feels that the team is a player or two away, he gets tunnel vision and will do whatever it takes to get that player. He's been wrong obviously, but again...I LIKE that mindset, it's just gotta be done smartly...think a team like the Browns or Jags is going after Free Agents because they're close? Naw...I like Jerry's aggressive nature. He just needs a HC that's smart enough to steer him towards the right player.

It's just crazy that he gets ALL the blame, when I think Scouts and Coaches are much more to blame for the teams the Cowboys have fielded every week.
Again...that's the only reason I'm not calling for JG's head right now..because from my standpoint he's done a damn good job at turning over this roster, and I'd hate to see another coach (cough *Holmgren* cough) come in here and start convincing Jerry on mediocre players, and Jerry try to sell them to us.
Ala Wade in the special teams draft or bringing in Igor and Keith Brooking past their primes.

The last thing I want is Holmgren picking our next franchise QB...

I like JG's eye for talent, "the process", and the outlook he has at building a team, I just want him to improve his game day decisions...maybe plug in Callahan as OC.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 11-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I'm saying that the boys shouldn't abandon looking for an upgrade over Free because Parnell has played ok in two games against two defenses that don't have the talent to really test him.

Who said or mentioned anything about abandoning an upgrade? I probably want Jake Mathews more then any player in the draft by a good margin, but I also realize that we need 4 new starters on our offensive line. You can't expect to fill every need in the off-season. Parnell is a good stap type of player, that lets us transition into filling out our interior line, and I bet you if we had some studs inside he looks even better.

Parnell has actually played better then ok, I'd call his play very solid. Keep in mind he's playing RT right now, the hardest position on the line. It's not like he's doing just decent on the right, he's done well protecting the blindside of Romo. He had a few really bad whiffs each game and it was always on a speed rush or a quicker pass rusher that got him into terrible position. Every time I saw him square up with a guy he won that battle and it wasn't even close. I have been watching Doug Free get absolutely perfect position to block, and just get destroyed numerous times.

Quote:
Just read that specific post. Nobody wants to even find the reason that Free is struggling..what's up with our player development? Or are we resigned to "Free sucks, cut him".

I'm not saying a late round or undrafted player can't come in and start, i'm just saying let's not pencil in starters based on two games.

How would you expect any of us here to find out the root of the reason Free sucks? All we do is call it like we see it, and he's horrible. That's like if your a Chicago Bears fan, and your going "you guys are not even wanting to know the reason Carimi is sucking so bad", when who really cares? Get his ass out of there, and he got benched last week and nobody noticed.

This stuff happens around the league all the time. A ton of back-up offensive lineman get starting jobs and do just fine, it's not like Parnell is a terrible athlete either. Do you know he only played 1 year of College Football and it was at DE? Now he's starting at LT for the Dallas Cowboys and holding his own.

Let's be honest, guys like that don't grow on trees. He was never even on the offensive line before, which probably explains why his technique is so bad at times, but you can't deny what you see when you watch him.

Quote:
I hope Parnell is a pro-bowler for the Cowboys eventually, but it just screams "Jerry says he's good, and he hasn't sucked...sooo...START HIM over the guy we just paid millions of dollars to"

I dunno...just ranting. At some point we'll realize that Linemen on both sides of the ball can be drafted in the early rounds, and we start filling these needs with top talent instead of building from the outside in.

When did Jerry say Parnell was good? I haven't heard it, I mentioned it here after a second watch of the game so not sure what that would mean or what that analogy means. Sometimes the back-up is better then the big paid guy, happens everywhere, it's happened here and we have had diamond in the roughs before so I don't know why people act like saying "Parnell is an upgrade over Doug Free next year" means omg lolol Cowboys fans always overrate their players.

As far as your 2nd point, yes of course. Parnell isn't a longterm option. But he's a stopgap, that gives you a year to build the Guards and Centers up, which is 3 positions. We'd be lucky to come away with 3 starters in one off-season there, let alone there and RT. I don't believe we have a better stop gap option at Guard or Center on this team then we do Parnell at RT.

We haven't even seen him play over there yet, but honestly how hard is it to be better then Free? That's not even a huge compliment to say he'll be an upgrade. For whatever reason Free is god awful now, and Parnell is a find. I bet the Chargers or Bears would love to have Parnell to be their starting LT right now of all positions.

Did you see Jamarcus Webb get pushed around at LT for the Bears? Nothing special, just an outright bullrush and throwing him out of the way. That's never even came close to happening with Parnell, and his make-up fits the bill of a RT to the tee. I'm not saying he's our Tackle of the future, but let's stop using the excuses of a Cowboy fan or Jerry Jones jokes and give the man his props. All things considered he's done a standup job filling in at one of the most important positions(and hardest) in football at a position that teams are seriously lacking in talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking yesterday that Ron Rivera would be an awesome DC if he was here. Let's say that Rob finally gets the head coaching job he wants somewhere. He's done a damn good job this year with all the injuries, and I can see a team justifying getting him. It looks like Ron Rivera will end up being fired in Carolina, and he's been a very good D coordinator in the past. He could be like Wade was to Houston. Wade got fired from here, and now he's got that Houston defense looking very good. Rivera could do the same here.

Now that's not to say that I want to get rid of Rob. It's that I think that his goal to be a HC wouldn't happen here, so I think he's going to be gone after this year.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Rivera run the 4-3 or a hybrid? I don't want any zone DC's, or any 4-3 guys personally. I always love the exotic, aggressive guys.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Rivera is 4-3

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Reporting on Sportscenter that Jerry Jones has been in discussions with Les Miles about a potential opening. Interesting to say the least. He runs some very disciplined teams which I'd welcome here at least.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Does Rivera run the 4-3 or a hybrid? I don't want any zone DC's, or any 4-3 guys personally. I always love the exotic, aggressive guys.
He's done both. He went to San Diego and coached their 3-4 and kept that great D going when Wade left, and he was up under Jim Johnson when the Eagles' D was pretty damn good. With his experience being in multiple areas I would love to see what he does if Rob gets a HC gig somewhere.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Reporting on Sportscenter that Jerry Jones has been in discussions with Les Miles about a potential opening. Interesting to say the least. He runs some very disciplined teams which I'd welcome here at least.
Does anyone have an article on this?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Does anyone have an article on this?
Not in the direction Longhorn said. Les is rumored to WANT the Dallas job but I haven't seen a single peep about Dallas even to be rumored to want him. I'm glad for that he's worse than Garrett.

Arkansas wants him and I guess since Arkansas is JJ's alma mater ESPN decided to run with it and say Dallas wants him.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is an interesting article from last year. I never knew that Les Miles coached for the Cowboys during the dynasty years. At least there is some sort of a previous connection with Les.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...-miles-success
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I watched Sports Center this morning, Jerry did talk to Les about the head coach position.... of Arkansas. The University is taking advantage of his relationship with Miles from when he was an assistant. Reportedly he is attempting to convince Les to leave LSU for Jerry's alma mater (and a contract worth 27 mil I believe). ESPN did use some foreshadowing to make it look like Garrett's job he was taking.

I wouldn't mind Les here though, especially if we could somehow corral Norv as the offensive coordinator. He brings an element of discipline that this team needs and covets defense. His teams have always been good in the trenches on both sides of the ball and he preaches ball control / pounding the rock.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Yea I didn't have a link, I just heard it when the story broke. I don't know though, I don't think Jerry is a fool and I find it hard to believe the entire convo was about the Arkansas opening. I'm sure he ran it by him about his interest here if the job came available, but it's all speculation anyway.

But like Trogdor said I love his philosophies of discipline, no turnovers, build the trenches, run the football, etc. I'd welcome that here, but I always worry about the stability of a College coach coming up. Do they just want a 3-4 year window then bolt to the College opening of their choice? NFL coaches are here to stay for the most part, those College guys dip back and forth a few times, and it worries me to a degree.

Plus with Jerry meeting with Holmgren a few weeks ago, I think he's been getting himself prepared just in case. I don't think he'd wait until JG was fired then rush to gauge interest from everyone. There are too many bread crumbs here to ignore, but I think we have to lose 8 or probably 9 games to make a change. 8-8 probably buys him another year.

But if you heard the report last night, they distinctly said Jerry discussed a HC opening here to gauge his interest, so the truth to that I'm not sure.

edit: after doing some digging, it appears it was confirmed that Jerry wanted Les for the HC position when Wade was about to be fired. Obviously it never came to anything, but I find it hard to believe Jerry still doesn't have that same interest in trying to bring him here.

Quote:

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 11-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So Les Miles is the talk of the day, eh?

Cool! Yeah, Les and Garrett have a connection that goes back to the 90's Cowboys, so seeing Les replace him would be interesting to say the least. I think that's why we were so high on Claiborne... Garrett trusted what Les told him. I think the same on why we were so high on Mark Barron, cause Garrett and Saban go back too.

Thing about Les I like is that you always gotta be prepared for an element of surprise too. Garrett tries to be too safe.