Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#1- Nick Collins was so so so so so underrated. Non-Packer fans had no idea who he was, but he was the glue back there, and a rare talent.

#2- MM is not the coach to blame here. I know he's stubborn at times, but he tried to run it yesterday. Like he did last week when Starks got 25 carries.

The bad coach is the OL coach.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
#1- Nick Collins was so so so so so underrated. Non-Packer fans had no idea who he was, but he was the glue back there, and a rare talent.

#2- MM is not the coach to blame here. I know he's stubborn at times, but he tried to run it yesterday. Like he did last week when Starks got 25 carries.

The bad coach is the OL coach.
I'm not throw the OL coach under the bus.

Marshall Newhouse - a good backup tackle but he's not someone who has proven to be dependable throughout a season

Evan Dietrich-Smith - any team is in trouble if he's playing a lot; adequate guy as a backup

Jeff Saturday - pretty clear why the Colts gave up on his old ass, liability in running game

Josh Sitton - the only stud on the line but one out of five is poor for the overall unit

TJ Lang - played tackle in college but there's clearly reasons why he was kicked inside after entering the league; decent left guard, not an ideal starter at right tackle

I will point the finger at Ted Thompson for this mess. If we have Scott Wells at center then it's not so bad but we only have one proven, or capable, starter at their current positions right now. Plus what have we drafted in terms of competition for the line other than Sherrod in the first round in 2011. Datko in the 7th this year?!?! Not enough.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

In the last few seasons the Packers have tried to get away with journeymen playing opposite of Clay Matthews. They finally took the position seriously and drafted Perry high this past year.

I feel like the Packers need to do this the RB position and here is my logic. The Packers have been unable to figure out Cover-2 since the KC game last season. Given that it's time to start thinking about getting a real RB to help bring safeties up to the LOS so match ups can be created.

We have been sitting here all season wondering why the Packers can't get open and I have to believe that this is more on coaching now. Since the KC game last year the offense has looked good in 1 game (Houston) and I'm starting to think that McCarthy is hell bent on running his offense no matter what.

MM is big on TEs. That was a perfect game last night to have your TE dominate with the Giants rushing 4 and dropping into deep coverage, Finley should have had a career night which would have caused the Giants to adjust thus maybe creating a match up for Cobb or Nelson.

Not to write a novel but there are so many unknowns with this offense its amazing. There is a clear rift with Rodgers and Finley, Jennings absence has an unknown effect, no clear RB plan, and a offensive line that in capable of pass blocking.

One more note. Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee floated the idea that the Packers were not showing all their cards in case of a rematch at some point down the road. He basically stated that Jennings could have played but Jason thought that MM was more focus on the 3 upcoming division games. Interesting if nothing else.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets keep in mind to though, what have the packers used their last 4 1st round picks on? 2 pass rushers(Clay, Perry) and 2 bookend tackles(Sherrod, Bulaga)

that's gonna hurt your team when you aren't getting any return out of those investments right now.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Lets keep in mind to though, what have the packers used their last 4 1st round picks on? 2 pass rushers(Clay, Perry) and 2 bookend tackles(Sherrod, Bulaga)

that's gonna hurt your team when you aren't getting any return out of those investments right now.

Very true, however Sherrod is a huge question mark, there were whispers of his injury being career threatening however that has quieted recently. Still I don't think he sees the field this season.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Lets keep in mind to though, what have the packers used their last 4 1st round picks on? 2 pass rushers (Clay, Perry) and 2 bookend tackles (Sherrod, Bulaga)
Exactly.
You can't put any blame on Ted Thompson for the OL struggling missing Bulaga. Or the pass rush. Perry was doing good, and we had great depth there....

You take away FOUR starting LBers from the 49er defense and see how they do. We're missing Matthews & Perry, and Bishop and DJ Smith.

I agree with Wilde about not showing our hand. The thing is, there could have been a lot of changes between now and January when and if we played them again. You still should go all out.

Good call against the Cover-2....
The thing is, Finley is NOT great. He's not as fast as he was before his 2 knee issues.

But we really could benefit from a great RB outta the backfield.
Benson was becoming a very effective "check down" receiver out of the backfield for us before he went down. He'd always get an extra yard, two or three.

They hoped Alex Green could be this guy.

Imagine having a threat outta the backfield like a Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, LeSean McCoy, MJD, Ray Rice, Arian Foster, Darren Sproles, Jamaal Charles, Franky Gore, Darren McFadden.... teams now don't account for covering our RB once the play is under way and the RB appears to block.

They're more worried about Cobb, Finley, and watching for Rodgers to run.... We have a lot more we can do if we want to start making teams pay for ignoring the RBs.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

In the last 52 weeks, the Packers have met the Giants three times. Green Bay has allowed 35, 37 and 38 points, and an average of 419 yards a game, and nine Eli Manning touchdown passes. Time for defensive coordinator Dom Capers to figure out a way to cover the Giants deep. Time for Charles Woodson and Clay Matthews to heal. Time for a shaky line to protect Aaron Rodgers. Time for GM Ted Thompson to find reinforcements for the line.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
Very true, however Sherrod is a huge question mark, there were whispers of his injury being career threatening however that has quieted recently. Still I don't think he sees the field this season.
Oh yeah, I don't expect Sherrod to play at all this season and his injury does concern me. Lets hope for the best that he's able to return and live up to his potential at some point, because I'm not really sold on Newhouse being the long term option

The line has good pieces in it going forward(Bulaga and Sitton are very good, and Lang is a decent LG). The issues are C and LT. Of course, for this season, the issues are pretty much all over the line thanks to the loss of Bulaga.

I honestly want to see what Barclay could do at LG. EDS and Saturday and LG/C is scary
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

From the WOW department:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers was under duress – sacked, hurried or hit – on 17 of his 33 dropbacks against the Giants, a whopping 51.5 percent of the time. That’s the highest percentage of any qualifying quarterback in the NFL this season.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
From the WOW department:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers was under duress – sacked, hurried or hit – on 17 of his 33 dropbacks against the Giants, a whopping 51.5 percent of the time. That’s the highest percentage of any qualifying quarterback in the NFL this season.

Yup, I loved one of the replays where I believe it was Cobb running down the seam on the left side, and he was wide open for a touchdown, the only problem: Rodgers was running for his life to the right side and had no way of seeing Cobb.

Ugh, I have waited until Tuesday to look at commentary from that game....it was just so pathetic, but hopefully, that was a good lesson for the team and they wont want to get embarrassed like that again.

Finally, my last comment on the game and maybe just in general. Why on earth do we only have 2 DL in the game when the other team is at the 9 yard line going in for a score. No crap BJ Raji and Jerel Worthy are gonna get double and moved off the line of scrimmage. I hate that crap, and I also hate the 2 DL pass rush with one LB coming off the edge, you might as well tell the opposing QB to sit in the pocket and absolutely dont throw it until someone is 100% open.

And with that, my complaining is done.....gosh that was just a brutal game to watch.

Onto the positives and other comments. I think Casey Hayward and Davon House are really starting to develop. House is a step slow sometimes, but he seems to have a football IQ, and Hayward is certainly in the running for DROY. I really like Mike Daniels and wish he would play more (it seems like the coaches are just not giving him enough chances). I 100% disagree with anyone that thinks we need better RB's. We had Cedric Benson, and he couldn't hardly muster 3.5 yards a carry when he was playing; clearly not RB's fault, but faulty OL play. Lastly, why did we give up on the no-huddle offense?
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hayward and House have played well. I like how House fights, he doesn't give up anything easy. Hayward just has great instincts. We are in good shape at DB with Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House. I also like McMillian's future at S. Not sure if he can be a FS but have hope that he could be the SS of the future.

As for the running game; really good RBs can make a mediocre OL look good. A really good OL can make mediocre RBs look good. But when you put mediocre RBs behind a mediocre OL what you get is the 2012 Packers. If they truly want to run the ball one of those things has to improve.

Look at what Doug Martin is doing in Tampa. His OL isn't exactly full of All-Pros. Outside of Donald Penn I have never heard of most of them. Their starting RG is Jamon Meredith who was a washout at OT for both the Packers and Bills.
TimmG6376 is offline   Reply With Quote