Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miles makes STUPID game decisions and his clock management is gawd awful too. His team does bail him out quite a bit though, I'd rather go another direction.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly don't think we get a College coach unless Stoops wants to leave, which he never will. But it seems like every time we need a new coach we look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd prefer to go with an assistant in the NFL if we were to move on from JG.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I'd prefer to go with an assistant in the NFL if we were to move on from JG.
I'm not neccessarily tied to that myself. Plenty of assistants end up with the label "better coordinator than HC" after a failed attempt. ...and that list is DAYUM LONG.

I'd hate to go through growing pains like we've just been doing with Garrett's first run as HC. I kind of want someone with HC experience, even if it's just as a college HC. Jim Harbaugh and Greg Schiano have been great coming from college to the NFL. Kind of refreshing.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Les resigned with LSU. If we had genuine interest we dodged a bullet with him staying.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm not neccessarily tied to that myself. Plenty of assistants end up with the label "better coordinator than HC" after a failed attempt. ...and that list is DAYUM LONG.

I'd hate to go through growing pains like we've just been doing with Garrett's first run as HC. I kind of want someone with HC experience, even if it's just as a college HC. Jim Harbaugh and Greg Schiano have been great coming from college to the NFL. Kind of refreshing.
What if Jon Gruden had interest?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What if Jon Gruden had interest?
Yeah, he's one of the guys I'm highly interested in.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

so what do u think about chip kelly then?
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
so what do u think about chip kelly then?
Let me ask you this.

Do you want your QB to get hit a lot?

I'd pass and not think twice. I just don't think his system would work in the NFL. For one, you expose your QB to big hits. In college, if your QB goes down it sucks, but it's not like the university has gazillion dollars invested in him. In the NFL, teams protect their QBs not just for their own sake and success on the field, but also because it's a huge financial risk.

Secondly, in that system offensive lineman are spread out a bit more. You might get by with that against college talent, but not NFL defensive lineman. Heck, they will eat you for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.

For as much success as Oregon has had, how come they don't produce a lot of successful NFL players?

It's a gimmick offense that I don't see working in the NFL. Incorporating parts of it here and there are fine, but a full fledged system is not wise. So I would pass on Chip Kelly.

There are people on both fences though. What do you think?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Let me ask you this.

I'd pass and not think twice. I just don't think his system would work in the NFL. For one, you expose your QB to big hits. In college, if your QB goes down it sucks, but it's not like the university has gazillion dollars invested in him. In the NFL, teams protect their QBs not just for their own sake and success on the field, but also because it's a huge financial risk.

Secondly, in that system offensive lineman are spread out a bit more. You might get by with that against college talent, but not NFL defensive lineman. Heck, they will eat you for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.

For as much success as Oregon has had, how come they don't produce a lot of successful NFL players?

It's a gimmick offense that I don't see working in the NFL. Incorporating parts of it here and there are fine, but a full fledged system is not wise. So I would pass on Chip Kelly.

I kind of agree with this, but, what do you think about the New England offense? Green Bay? Wouldn't you say there are a ton of similiarities between them and what Chip Kelly runs? Maybe not to that degree, maybe you need a borderline elite QB to make it work, but I think those types of offenses have been pretty successful in the NFL(at least in the regular season lately) because you just can't cover all those guys.

You can grab guys like Amendola, Beasley, who are drafted late or not at all, put them in the slot, and they will beat any 3rd or 4th CB in the NFL in man to man coverage.

Not really an argument for it, just that when I think Chip Kelly I think of what those offenses look like. Me personally I want Vic Fangio if he is willing to leave Harbaugh. He's got a ton of experience on that side of the ball, and I just want a Head Coach with a defensive mind. It's easy to find a good offensive coordinator to become creative when you have the weapons in place. Defense needs to be more of a cohesive unit imo and is more important.

Dirk Koetter was a hack of an offensive coordinator in Jacksonville. With Blaine Gabbert and a make shift offensive line throwing to WR's who should be playing special teams. Comes to Atlanta with Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio and Tony G and all of a sudden he looks like one of the best coordinators in the entire league.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I kind of agree with this, but, what do you think about the New England offense? Green Bay? Wouldn't you say there are a ton of similiarities between them and what Chip Kelly runs? Maybe not to that degree, maybe you need a borderline elite QB to make it work, but I think those types of offenses have been pretty successful in the NFL(at least in the regular season lately) because you just can't cover all those guys.

You can grab guys like Amendola, Beasley, who are drafted late or not at all, put them in the slot, and they will beat any 3rd or 4th CB in the NFL in man to man coverage.

Not really an argument for it, just that when I think Chip Kelly I think of what those offenses look like. Me personally I want Vic Fangio if he is willing to leave Harbaugh. He's got a ton of experience on that side of the ball, and I just want a Head Coach with a defensive mind. It's easy to find a good offensive coordinator to become creative when you have the weapons in place. Defense needs to be more of a cohesive unit imo and is more important.

Dirk Koetter was a hack of an offensive coordinator in Jacksonville. With Blaine Gabbert and a make shift offensive line throwing to WR's who should be playing special teams. Comes to Atlanta with Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio and Tony G and all of a sudden he looks like one of the best coordinators in the entire league.
Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady in Chip Kelly's system sounds like such a waste. Neither of those teams do what Oregon does. I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, but I don't see it. I see some similarities of the Run 'n Shoot in NE and GB runs the WCO. I don't know what the tie is between what they do and what Chip does.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolando McClain released by Oakland. Normally I would be firmly in the "stay away" camp but since we are starting Ernie Sims at ILB I wouldn't be mad at a cursory look.

If he discovers how to use his talent he could potentially vie for 3rd ILB next season. If he continues to be a slow, out of position, waste of talent cut him when we no longer have to start the likes of Ernie Sims at ILB.

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I'd take a stab at McClain. He's got talent, why not.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd take a stab at McClain. He's got talent, why not.
b/c he slow and can't cover anybody
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Let me ask you this.

wow i wasn't that serious i just threw a name out there bc he been mentioned as a candidate for an nfl team, i agree his offense wouldnt work but if he went out and hired a someone like norv turner to run the offense and combined it with his up tempo style it could possibly work, at the very least his game management skills couldnt be any worse than garrett
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Your right. Plus we are all set with Ernie Sims anyway right? Lol. Ernie Sims was at home when we called him, now he's our 3 down LB which says it all. McClain would be a great pick-up. Doesn't matter that he isn't a stud, or has a ton of weaknesses, we don't have Lee & Carter anymore. Sims should be on the field on passing downs, early downs for McClain. Then again, when you have the crap depth that we now have, warm bodies are welcome. He's at least a thumper, and if Connor goes down we are screwed royally.

Quote:

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 11-29-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Your right. Plus we are all set with Ernie Sims anyway right? Lol. Ernie Sims was at home when we called him, now he's our 3 down LB which says it all. McClain would be a great pick-up. Doesn't matter that he isn't a stud, or has a ton of weaknesses, we don't have Lee & Carter anymore. Sims should be on the field on passing downs, early downs for McClain.
Pretty much this. I mean we are starting Ernie freaking Sims at ILB at this point. I'm not saying he'll be taking a starting job next year. I mean to be quite honest when we are debating who we could bring off the street to start over Peprah and Sims you already know we're in a world of hurt.

I don't he falls to us anyhow. If I was putting money somewhere it would be the team with the #1 waiver priority (Chiefs). They have a need at ILB and he'll be coming from a division rival (bonus points for playbook?).
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Agreed. Chiefs have a big need, run a 3-4, and the division rival stuff may help. He'll probably get a handful of teams to claim him so it's a moot point.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Your right. Plus we are all set with Ernie Sims anyway right? Lol. Ernie Sims was at home when we called him, now he's our 3 down LB which says it all. McClain would be a great pick-up. Doesn't matter that he isn't a stud, or has a ton of weaknesses, we don't have Lee & Carter anymore. Sims should be on the field on passing downs, early downs for McClain. Then again, when you have the crap depth that we now have, warm bodies are welcome. He's at least a thumper, and if Connor goes down we are screwed royally.
mcclain would be a just as out of place in 3-4 as demeco ryans was last year, he is best in 4-3 w/ 2 big a$$ d-lineman taking on blockers so he can just make tackles.

plus if he's on the field on first downs teams would line up in their base personnel and throw the ball at whoever he supposed to be covering. we have alex albright playing as the #3 ilb anyway no need wasting a roster spot on a guy who doesn't even fit scheme just b/c he was a 1st round pick
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
mcclain would be a just as out of place in 3-4 as demeco ryans was last year, he is best in 4-3 w/ 2 big a$$ d-lineman taking on blockers so he can just make tackles.

plus if he's on the field on first downs teams would line up in their base personnel and throw the ball at whoever he supposed to be covering. we have alex albright playing as the #3 ilb anyway no need wasting a roster spot on a guy who doesn't even fit scheme just b/c he was a 1st round pick
I'm beginning to wonder if you know who McClain is. You know the guy who excelled in Saban's 3-4 in college. Plays extremely well as the "banger" ILB in schemes where you protect the ILB from coverages. Basing on what he was as a prospect and not the bust in Oakland he was a solid blitzer, who both sheds and tackles well.

From 2010 reports:

Quote:
Summary: I really don't think McClain is a 4-3 inside linebacker. The speed and lateral range just isn't there for me, and I think he would be exposed because he will overpursue gaps. McClain is great for 3-4 teams because he can play inside, but also move over to the outside if needed temporarily. Well versed in 3-4 defense. His best fits are at 3-4 inside linebacker and 4-3 strongside linebacker. McClain is a solid prospect who will likely come off the board in the top 20 picks.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if you know who McClain is. You know the guy who excelled in Saban's 3-4 in college. Plays extremely well as the "banger" ILB in schemes where you protect the ILB from coverages. Basing on what he was as a prospect and not the bust in Oakland he was a solid blitzer, who both sheds and tackles well.

From 2010 reports:
from matt williamson of espn afc west blog writer

"McClain never lived up to his billing on the field. He was out of shape, slow and often out of position. He didn’t show the instincts expected from a top-10 pick."

i know who mcclain is, but thus far in his nfl career he hasn't shown anything, so why bother cutting someone else on the roster to pick up someone else's trash.

i get were thin at ilb but this dude isn't any good right now, do you really wanna see the reincarnation of bradie james again, plus looking at the schedule every team we play has a really good pass catching te, and as said before covering isn't his strong suit
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Yea, McClain has always been an ideal 3-4 fit. Besides, why are we acting like if we did pick him up all of a sudden he's a liability to us? He is better then Ernie Sims, that's really about as far as you would need to take the argument. And if teams wanted to, they would just spread us out and throw at Dan Connor, who can't cover in space either.

Bradie James is still starting for the Texans, I'm pretty sure we'll be ok with McClain and his pass covering liabilities.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
from matt williamson of espn afc west blog writer

"McClain never lived up to his billing on the field. He was out of shape, slow and often out of position. He didnít show the instincts expected from a top-10 pick."

i know who mcclain is, but thus far in his nfl career he hasn't shown anything, so why bother cutting someone else on the roster to pick up someone else's trash.

i get were thin at ilb but this dude isn't any good right now, do you really wanna see the reincarnation of bradie james again, plus looking at the schedule every team we play has a really good pass catching te, and as said before covering isn't his strong suit
*sigh*

Because we lost Bruce Carter and Sean Lee. How much more of a reason do you need? Do you really think Ernie Sims is a good LB? The guy who was at home working out in his back yard a few months ago and couldn't even stick as a special teams player anywhere.

You make it seem like we are bringing him in to stunt some development of a young impressive player we have. Question: if Dan Connor gets hurt on Sunday in the 1st quarter then what is your course of action?

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Are we talking about Dan Connor here?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How's everyone feeling about the Eagles game? DJax is done for the year with broken ribs, they just cut Babin, and Foles will be starting, seems like it should be a gimme... but then again this is a primetime game and we're playing at home lol