Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i don't have any words really. I'm going to do my best to forget this game and block it from my memory forever.

This being said: I fully really how emotionally invested I am in this team. The Politi line sums it up beyond perfectly. Being a part of the school, the culture, the atmosphere. It's something that you can't even describe and it's why the wins and losses mean so much more than they do for pro sports teams, or could for pro sports teams.

That being said: I cried after the game. My roommate and I were the last in the bleachers. I'm surprised a photo hasn't hit the internet of us crying in the bleachers together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i don't have any words really. I'm going to do my best to forget this game and block it from my memory forever.

This being said: I fully really how emotionally invested I am in this team. The Politi line sums it up beyond perfectly. Being a part of the school, the culture, the atmosphere. It's something that you can't even describe and it's why the wins and losses mean so much more than they do for pro sports teams, or could for pro sports teams.

That being said: I cried after the game. My roommate and I were the last in the bleachers. I'm surprised a photo hasn't hit the internet of us crying in the bleachers together.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sorry you had to be there Scotty. Don't worry though because it's going to feel all that much better when we finally do get to the promised land. It will come!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Sorry you had to be there Scotty. Don't worry though because it's going to feel all that much better when we finally do get to the promised land. It will come!
Good luck with that being in the Big 10 now.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Good luck with that being in the Big 10 now.
At least we're in a real conference. Everytime I think about the game last night I get immediately depressed. I should stay out of this thread.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't worry Kent State will avenge your loss!!!!
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I know you don't want to hear this....especially coming from another Rutgers alum but...

.....come on man....

It's a football game. Let's put this in perspective for a bit. It's a football game.

And I will say this about your education: College is a 2 way street. We as alumni need Rutgers for the education, but Rutgers also got money, research, and aid out of us. It's a 2 way street. They didn't offer us anything for free. We paid for it. College is a business just like anything else.

Our college is the school we went to. It's not family, it's not friends, it's a coporation that sells education.

We get what we get out of it, and they get our money, and we both walk away satisified. Or if you didn't do well, then not so much. But the point I'm trying to make is, your college is a stepping stone for your career, and that's it.

Don't let them sucker you into thinking anything more than that.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I know you don't want to hear this....especially coming from another Rutgers alum but...

.....come on man....

It's a football game. Let's put this in perspective for a bit. It's a football game.

And I will say this about your education: College is a 2 way street. We as alumni need Rutgers for the education, but Rutgers also got money, research, and aid out of us. It's a 2 way street. They didn't offer us anything for free. We paid for it. College is a business just like anything else.

Our college is the school we went to. It's not family, it's not friends, it's a coporation that sells education.

We get what we get out of it, and they get our money, and we both walk away satisified. Or if you didn't do well, then not so much. But the point I'm trying to make is, your college is a stepping stone for your career, and that's it.

Don't let them sucker you into thinking anything more than that.
I'm gonna disagree with you on this one BBD. It's cheesy and cliche but the feelings just being there, the atmosphere of those games, it's more than that. Also realize, this is the team I've been following since I could understand football. Rutgers has always been more than just a team for me and this place is more than just a school or stepping stone for me. The only school I applied to. The school who's players I've been pushing on here for god knows how many years. It's just the feelings, it's more than being just a fan. I felt apart of the team. I've never felt more upset over any giants loss or anything like that. It's just completely different. I am a scarlet knight. Always will be. I'll never be a Giant. I know you're an alum and football fan but Rutgers means just so much more to me. I can't even put it into words
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm gonna disagree with you on this one BBD. It's cheesy and cliche but the feelings just being there, the atmosphere of those games, it's more than that. Also realize, this is the team I've been following since I could understand football. Rutgers has always been more than just a team for me and this place is more than just a school or stepping stone for me. The only school I applied to. The school who's players I've been pushing on here for god knows how many years. It's just the feelings, it's more than being just a fan. I felt apart of the team. I've never felt more upset over any giants loss or anything like that. It's just completely different. I am a scarlet knight. Always will be. I'll never be a Giant. I know you're an alum and football fan but Rutgers means just so much more to me. I can't even put it into words
Scotty. Get your education. Build your network. Do all the internships you can get and use all the resources Rutgers has to offer you while you're there.

But remember, and always remember, everything you did there and get there, you paid for it.

I understand being a fan. I do. I'm obviously a diehard Giant and Knick fan. But let's keep things in perspective.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there is a middle ground between those perspectives. I love Rutgers and being at a game with that kind of atmosphere is fantastic. Its electric in a way that pro sports doesn't quite compare to because everyone has shared something. Your college experience is more than a simple business transaction. While you are completely gouged by raising tuition costs as the university spends more and more on an athletic progam that, honestly, hasn't been that successful overall and has, in some ways, grown out of control with power (more under schiano, but still), It is important to look past it to an extent and realize that the community of Rutgers has all gone through it with you. You and your fellow alums, professors, etc have all been screwed time and again but Rutgers is your school.

Scotty, to an extent, its admirable that you can believe in Rutgers to the extent that you do, but to be perfectly honest with you, your degree of fandom is a bit unhealthy. Your really need to try to relax just a bit.

Sorry for ******** run on sentences. Proofreading is for bitches and I like to ramble.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

haha I wouldn't say it's unhealthy, I'm not as crazy as I probably am perceived here. I just love my school and my team. Last night's loss just hit me super hard with the chance at supreme glory, being there, night game, on espn and my final home game of my senior year
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

To put it simply college shapes your life. Away from home for the first, being independent, making choices good and bad and so on. Yeah you're paying for the education but it's so much different than a professional sports team and this is coming from someone who has spent countless hours following the Giants and Mets. Last night for me was devastating.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, I wanted to say what BBD said but I didn't feel like it was my place since this is your guys' thread.

I understand it's different because you're attending a school, but honestly, it's just a game. School comes first for me in every sense of the word. I would never miss a class for the sake of going to a game. A game that could end just as quickly as it began if the university couldn't afford the team or they got the death penalty for cheating.

I am very attached to my school, but not because of college sports. I had a lot of fun going to UConn games (mainly basketball because, lets be honest, we've been mediocre at best) but at the end of the day it's not going to define my college experience in the slightest. The friends I've made, the connections, the interaction and becoming a campus leader are what made my time at UConn so special. Not the basketball team (which I loved). I could easily give up football or any other of my attachments for more important things in life because it really is just a game. I will never cry over a sporting event because I wouldn't ever have it mean that much to me. I could cry over other things, but I couldn't do it for what amounts to just a game.

I respect your point of view but I don't believe its healthy to be that attached to something which is essentially irrelevant when it boils down to it. An education is far far and away the most important thing. College sports and teams take a way back seat to that.

Even the Giants, whom I am a diehard fan of, would take a back seat to friends, family, school, work, etc. Sure, I might get angry because of something. I might get annoyed, I might even be sad but when push comes to shove I would give it up in a heart beat if my any of those things took priority over it.

Also, RUTGERS BLOWS!

Haha, just kidding but I thought I'd end on a lighter note.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha, I wanted to say what BBD said but I didn't feel like it was my place since this is your guys' thread.

I understand it's different because you're attending a school, but honestly, it's just a game. School comes first for me in every sense of the word. I would never miss a class for the sake of going to a game. A game that could end just as quickly as it began if the university couldn't afford the team or they got the death penalty for cheating.

I am very attached to my school, but not because of college sports. I had a lot of fun going to UConn games (mainly basketball because, lets be honest, we've been mediocre at best) but at the end of the day it's not going to define my college experience in the slightest. The friends I've made, the connections, the interaction and becoming a campus leader are what made my time at UConn so special. Not the basketball team (which I loved). I could easily give up football or any other of my attachments for more important things in life because it really is just a game. I will never cry over a sporting event because I wouldn't ever have it mean that much to me. I could cry over other things, but I couldn't do it for what amounts to just a game.

I respect your point of view but I don't believe its healthy to be that attached to something which is essentially irrelevant when it boils down to it. An education is far far and away the most important thing. College sports and teams take a way back seat to that.

Even the Giants, whom I am a diehard fan of, would take a back seat to friends, family, school, work, etc. Sure, I might get angry because of something. I might get annoyed, I might even be sad but when push comes to shove I would give it up in a heart beat if my any of those things took priority over it.

Also, RUTGERS BLOWS!

Haha, just kidding but I thought I'd end on a lighter note.
It really is tremendously important to have perspective. You can't be destroyed and reduced to tears because of it. The stakes were not "Ultimate Glory" it was simply the chance to go to a bigger bowl that is a big deal, but not really. Im not trying to sound like an asshole, but being so emotionally invested in something like this really isn't healthy for you Scotty. You seem like a good dude, just try to relax a bit.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Speaking for myself but sports are such a big thing for me. I know its ridiculous but it really helps balance everything for me even when I get upset because of a loss like last night. I know I sound like a loser saying this but the distraction it brings to real life really helps which might be unfortunate to others but it works for me. I'm very upset today because of the loss but I still went to work and functioned like a boss because I know how to balance it.

You guys don't post as much as I do but you still take the time out to visit this site so I know you feel the same way.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Oh no, I completely understand that element. Sports serve as a great way to get your mind off life and provide a great stress reliever (even if it seems like a stress inducer at times). It allows you to be involved in a community and social structure. Being a fan of the same team is almost like being friends instantly.

Occasionally I run into a Giants fan here down south and whenever I do I make friends with them almost instantly. It's so funny. It's almost like a fraternity (but not a lame one like most fraternities).

But will I ever cry over a game? Highly doubtful. Will I get upset at times? More than likely. It's a fine balance.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Oh no, I completely understand that element. Sports serve as a great way to get your mind off life and provide a great stress reliever (even if it seems like a stress inducer at times). It allows you to be involved in a community and social structure. Being a fan of the same team is almost like being friends instantly.

Occasionally I run into a Giants fan here down south and whenever I do I make friends with them almost instantly. It's so funny. It's almost like a fraternity (but not a lame one like most fraternities).

But will I ever cry over a game? Highly doubtful. Will I get upset at times? More than likely. It's a fine balance.
There are 5 games in my life where I was this upset sports wise. Last night was one of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
It really is tremendously important to have perspective. You can't be destroyed and reduced to tears because of it. The stakes were not "Ultimate Glory" it was simply the chance to go to a bigger bowl that is a big deal, but not really. Im not trying to sound like an asshole, but being so emotionally invested in something like this really isn't healthy for you Scotty. You seem like a good dude, just try to relax a bit.
It was a chance to go to a BCS game for the first time in the school history. It was a big deal. It was my last game as a student here. It was under the lights with so much on the line and my last game here. I have absolutely no shame that I shed tears over the game. None. It's not like I actually went home and was clinically depressed over the game. It's not like I haven't been able to function. We're all huge sports fan and this university means a lot to me so I really have no shame or regret about shedding tears in the stadium after the loss which was the toughest loss I've ever had to deal with as a sports fan
Quote:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I understand being a fan. We all post here for the same reason. We're passionate fans. I think for me personally, the biggest losses I've ever had to get over were in 94 when the Knicks lost game 7 of the Finals, in 99 when we lost to the Spurs, the 2000 SB to the Ravens, and the loss to the 49ers in 2002 in the playoffs.

I think the 08 playoff loss to the Eagles is up there too.

We all use sports as an escape from reality. All of us. But let's keep in mind that we use sports as entertainment. We entertain ourselves with it.

I understand school loyalty, but I don't understand devotion. Because I look at it like this, Rutgers wouldn't let me in their facility if I didn't pay my tuition. I paid for the rights to their facility, access to their teachers, their research facilities, their libraries etc. I didn't get to use it for free. I paid for the rights to use those tools.

And if I didn't pay for it, I wouldn't be allowed to use it. What do I owe them? What do they owe me? Nothing. It was a business transaction. I needed them to advance my career, they needed my money.

I guess my loyalty to Rutgers doesn't mean as much to me because I've went to other schools too. I've done post graduate education at 2 other colleges so I guess my loyalty to Rutgers is effected by that.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree BBD. But with sports, it's easy to be emotionally attached.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

V. Tech in the Russell Athletic Bowl. Our best bowl ever but still a dissapointment.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

So we got a commit from a 24 year old 6'7 Austrailian punter last night.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

i saw that. that's hilarious and amazing
Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
So we got a commit from a 24 year old 6'7 Austrailian punter last night.
Long legs. More hang time. I like it.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Too bad you guys still suck.

Sorry, the grace period is over. SUCK IT RUTGERS!