Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Pro Football HOF Semi-Finalists

The 27 Semi-Finalists

** - First year eligible candidate

Larry Allen **
Morten Andersen**
Steve Atwater
Jerome Bettis
Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Don Coryell
Roger Craig
Terrell Davis
Edward DeBartolo Jr
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Joe Jacoby
Albert Lewis
John Lynch**
Karl Mecklenburg
Art Modell
Jonathan Ogden**
Bill Parcells
Andre Reed
Warren Sapp**
Will Shields
Michael Strahan**
Paul Tagliabue
Steve Tasker
Aeneas Williams
George Young
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a pretty good crop of 1st timers so I doubt this a year where many of those borderline guys like Tim Brown and Jerome Bettis finally get in.

Larry Allen should be a lock, and I could see a strong case for Ogden, Sapp and Strahan being 1st ballot guys.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 12-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Sapp should get in, but it's no secret how much of an as* he was to the media. I think it's 50/50 he doesn't get in because of it.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBuc5 View Post
Sapp should get in, but it's no secret how much of an as* he was to the media. I think it's 50/50 he doesn't get in because of it.
He'll get in... Eventually. They made John Randle and Cortez Kennedy wait, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sapp is left out this year.

As for the other Buc on that list, John Lynch, as much as I would love to see him in the Hall of Fame, I don't think he should (or will) make it. With that said, the HoF induction process is a media popularity contest and the fact that Lynch has a growing reputation as a pretty good announcer could help him sneak in on a weak year somewhere down the line.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is the year for Cris Carter.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sapp should get in. He set the standard for pass rush dts and is the guy most scouts and analysts look to draw comparison to younger dts coming out.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
He'll get in... Eventually. They made John Randle and Cortez Kennedy wait, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sapp is left out this year.

As for the other Buc on that list, John Lynch, as much as I would love to see him in the Hall of Fame, I don't think he should (or will) make it. With that said, the HoF induction process is a media popularity contest and the fact that Lynch has a growing reputation as a pretty good announcer could help him sneak in on a weak year somewhere down the line.
Lynch will get in on merit, his career as an announcer won't have anything to do with it. He was one of the best safeties in the league for a decade, surprised you even doubt him deserving to get in being a Bucs fan.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know off the top of my head but aren't there only a few safeties in the HOF?
I don't think it's a case of people not thinking he'll get in based on his career but that it's just ridiculously hard to get in as a safety.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I don't know off the top of my head but aren't there only a few safeties in the HOF?
I don't think it's a case of people not thinking he'll get in based on his career but that it's just ridiculously hard to get in as a safety.
And then when you factor in that the same people who vote for the hall of fame also voted in four safeties ahead of Lynch for the 2000s All-Decade team, I just have a hard time seeing Lynch making it. Especially when Steve Atwater still hasn't been enshrined.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
And then when you factor in that the same people who vote for the hall of fame also voted in four safeties ahead of Lynch for the 2000s All-Decade team, I just have a hard time seeing Lynch making it. Especially when Steve Atwater still hasn't been enshrined.
Not saying it would be anytime soon. Guess I'm being a homer.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

man i want strahan to get in first ballot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBuc5 View Post
Lynch will get in on merit, his career as an announcer won't have anything to do with it. He was one of the best safeties in the league for a decade, surprised you even doubt him deserving to get in being a Bucs fan.
Outside of kickers and punters, safety is probably the most difficult position to get into the Hall of Fame as. There are only seven full-time safeties in the Hall of Fame and the last one to be inducted was Paul Krause in '98. Krause has the distinction of being the league's current leader in career interceptions, which is an impressive feat given that he played in the '60s and '70s when offenses relied more on their ground game. Hell... The last time any HoF member who played as a safety was actually on the field in a game was over 30 years ago and the last time a safety actually made the finalists list was 10 years ago.

Given all that, it's really hard to make a case for Lynch. Yes, he was one of the most feared hitters in the game, but enshrinement in the Hall is often a numbers game and Lynch doesn't really have the flashy stats (sacks and interceptions) to back him up.

Lynch will definitely be added to the Buccaneers Ring of Honor, though, and that's enough for me.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Will Shields gets in this year, his second of eligibility. I don't know if he will with Larry Allen on there though.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Outside of kickers and punters, safety is probably the most difficult position to get into the Hall of Fame as. There are only seven full-time safeties in the Hall of Fame and the last one to be inducted was Paul Krause in '98. Krause has the distinction of being the league's current leader in career interceptions, which is an impressive feat given that he played in the '60s and '70s when offenses relied more on their ground game. Hell... The last time any HoF member who played as a safety was actually on the field in a game was over 30 years ago and the last time a safety actually made the finalists list was 10 years ago.

Given all that, it's really hard to make a case for Lynch. Yes, he was one of the most feared hitters in the game, but enshrinement in the Hall is often a numbers game and Lynch doesn't really have the flashy stats (sacks and interceptions) to back him up.

Lynch will definitely be added to the Buccaneers Ring of Honor, though, and that's enough for me.
Yup, I see Lynch being part of that Harrison, Dawkins, and Sharper group that doesn't quite make it in despite long periods of prolonged success. I think Reed is going to be the first player to break down the HOF barrier against safeties.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:

Good points, I did not realize how hard it was to get in as a Safety. You would think a 9 time pro bowler who was a part of one of the most dominating defenses in NFL history was a shoe in, it's surprising there is only 7 safeties in the HOF.

Last edited by kBuc5 : 12-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was perfect on my predictions last year (not an easy task when so many linemen got in)

I'm not ready to break the numbers down yet, but will at some point soon.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went to the Hall of Fame page and couldn't find the Rob Gronkowski entry. When are they going to rectify this!?!?!?!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since he's probably never making it to Canton, I would like to make the case that Jacoby was one of the greatest UDFAs ever in modern NFL history.

You're a HOFer in Redskinsland, Joe.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
I think this is the year for Cris Carter.
I think he'll get screwed over like every year. Ridiculous.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should go with 5 Lineman (Allen, Ogden, Strahan, Sapp, Shields) + Parcells. But they won't.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
They should go with 5 Lineman (Allen, Ogden, Strahan, Sapp, Shields) + Parcells. But they won't.
I agree. This is what would happen in a perfect world.

I think Ogden has to be a lock. He was the Tackle of his era.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol wtf morten andersen.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
lol wtf morten andersen.
Hey, he was a pretty good kicker for a long time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
lol wtf morten andersen.
All time leader in points and field goals.

Multiple Pro Bowls and All Pros. All Decade Team kicker for the 80s and 90s. Andersen deserves his semi final place. He was a brilliant kicker in his prime and has both the career records and honours.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His career after the 90s was literally nothing and if he hadn't stuck around for basically another decade no one would care at all. He made one super bowl and his only meaningful kick was the game winner in the NFCCG. I know he won't get in so it doesn't really matter but I'm surprised he even got to the semi-finals. Whenever Vinatieri retires Andersen won't get any 'honourary' placement as a semi-finalist.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote