Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I think that's a good post, but only time will tell. Personally, I disagree with the post and think Jim did the right thing in terms of keeping Colin in. He had to see what he had, now he's seeing it....and it looks like Colin is still learning. We can't have a QB that looks at one read and ditches the pocket..it never works.

What I also don't get is the strategy when Colin is in. Everyone used to say that the Offense was a result of Alex's limitations....well it's looking more and more like THIS IS the Offense, whether you like it or not. If you made the change to the guy because he had the big arm, use it, attack the opposition on all levels. All I'm seeing is a lot of conservative playcalls and gadgetry.

This next game is huge for Colin, he can't put up a game like this before the Pats and Seahawks...we need momentum going into these games.

I'm really irritated by ppl keep saying he's making one read then running. That's not at all what happened yesterday. There were tons of time where CK went to secondary reads. Him staring down WRs wasn't the problem. If it were I'm sure he would have thrown a couple picks or questionable throws into coverage. I can't recall any to my knowledge.

The Rams had a solid game-plan. They took away anything deep or intermediate. They tried to make CK play like Alex....manage the game. Take the underneath throws and methodically move the offense down the field. They were banking on CK making a mistake or two and lacking the patience and discipline to do that all game long and that gamble paid off. CK made the right read and made good decisions 90% of the time. He took the underneath stuff, hit those slants routinely to move the chains. He took what they gave him and then some for the most part. The biggest thing with CK is that he ALWAYS believe he can make a play. It's a gift and a curse. The safety was key example of thinking he could escape the pocket and throw the ball away....still say it was a bad call but even if he takes a sack there, what's the difference? It was a 10-0 game at that point and I'd rather my QB try to give his team a chance than to just take a sack at the his own 10 just to say he 'played it safe'. I can live with those plays because part of the reason he is the starter is because he can make something out of nothing. You can't pick and choose the times where you embrace that part of his game and then turn around and condemn that part of his game. If the refs make the right call, no one is even talking about that play.

Now the pitch-fumble and him not staying in bounds were just mental errors he needs to learn from and understand the circumstances. You have to know when to play it safe and when you need to "make a play". The errant pitch was a instance were the it was time to play it safe, considering it was late in the game, us trying to protect the league and with your defense playing really good all game. Keep the ball, eat the sack, and let the clock run. I don't think anybody thought CK wouldn't have growing pains when he was announced as the starter. I certainly didn't think he'd go undefeated the rest of the regular sesson. He could very well lose one or two more games. It's a process and as long as he learns from it and grows and understands the lessons from these mistakes, he'll be a better player, and we'll be a better team for it when the playoffs roll around.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.