Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Do/Will the Chargers Need to Draft a QB?

Phillip Rivers is now 30 and over the last 2 years has went from a top 5/10 QB to average. The team hasn't made the playoffs in a few years and after this year there has to be a new coach brought in and maybe even a GM. I'm not sure what his contract looks like but any chance they bring in a new QB?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they will definitely spend a pick on a QB, because a new coach/GM will want his guy playing.

However, I'm not sure this will be a first (or second) round pick.

I'm 100% confident that whoever comes in as the new guy to run the organization will want his QB somewhere on the team.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, Rivers is good. They need a new coaching staff/GM and some help around him. Their WRs/TEs went from elite to average in the past few years. Gates is kinda washed up, Jackson is gone. Floyd is not a #1. Neither is Meachum. 30 isn't that old for a QB of Rivers' caliber. It's not like he had a ton of arm strength or something and is losing it.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers was QB of a team with LT, Sproles, Turner, Jackson, Gates ( when great ) Hardwick, Dielman and McNeill

That's 3 pro bowl linemen, 1 pro bowl WR and 3 pro bowl Rb's ( 1 who's also the best 3rd down back in the league )

It's not that Rivers isn't any good... His team isn't any good.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
RCSooner
Rookie

RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the head coaching and the front office in San Diego may explain Rivers' struggles. He's still a top 10 quarterback in the league.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Philip Rivers is the least of the Chargers problems.

Perhaps San Diego should try not letting his top weapons leave with no compensation?

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers is not the problem. I'd be shocked if San Diego drafts a quarterback.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
dmoneyrockin
Rookie

dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say it's a major need that should be addressed in the first round, but I could see them taking a QB in 3/4 area in preparation. For the future.
dmoneyrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
dmoneyrockin
Rookie

dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see them taking a QB in the first round. However, I could see them taking a QB in the 3/4th round area with an eye towards the future.

Last edited by dmoneyrockin : 12-04-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Whoops! Thought my original didn't post, stupid phone.
dmoneyrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He needs some talent around him. It's cray what that team looked like a few years ago compared to now. Give the man some weapons.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am annoyed by Rivers but he is a good QB. His HC and especially his GM should be fired. AJ Smith is terrible. So many bad decisions lead to ruining what was once an excellent, super-talented team. I'm thrilled at the prospect of Bill Polian and AJ Smith getting canned in consecutive years.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is no Manning, turning poo into gold. He is capable when he has some talent around him. But he seems off this year.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More than anything else, I think the Chargers letting both Sproles and Tolbert get away has been one of the biggest problems for Rivers. Those guys were sure handed dump off targets and the Chargers failed to produce anyone to take their place.

Gates decline and letting Jackson get away have also contributed, but not having the check down option who can make plays is a big issue too.

Also, Danario Alexander has been coming on for the Chargers of late. If he finishes the season strong, he might be looked at as a sleeper #1 WR for them headed into next year.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Miami lets Long go SD should jump all over that. Also moving down and drafting a OG or OT is a must. Rivers needs a clean pocket. Another player SD should look at is Tavon Austin. He can be that check down / slot player.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If SD fires AJ Smith, Rivers job will be in jeopardy. When you fire a decision maker, the QB is almost always replaced (or they bring in a replacement who fails to win the job). The exceptions are super rare.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you have a 31 year old QB who's struggled for the past two seasons and the backup is Charlie Whitehurst, you probably draft a QB. Not necessarily an early-round guy, but somebody you can develop.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna bring out the stats on this one.

Someone else dug these up so i'm not 100% sure where they came from...but

Phillip Rivers average release time for the ball is 4 seconds...not bad

The average time from snap to when he is pressured, is 4.5 seconds...

And the average time from snap to sack on the plays that he is sacked, is 2.5 seconds...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????????? Thats the freaking AVERAGE sack time...meaning they'v eprobably gotten there in as fast as 1.5 seconds...thats just not acceptable for ANYONE in the league...let alone when your playing with maybe the most immobile QB in the game.

No we will not draft a QB. Yes we will draft a lineman....

Weapons actually haven't been the problem this year Scott. It didn't help. What hurt us most was downgrading from PB form Gaither/McNeil and Dielman last year to UDFA rook Mike Harris and Tyronne Green.
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's time to move on.

By the time the Chargers are good again, Rivers will be mid 30s. He already had no mobility and probably leads the league in sack/fumbles every year.

They need to look at drafting a replacement. They have the opportunity to be selective, but it absolutely should be on the board for them.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 AM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
If Miami lets Long go SD should jump all over that. Also moving down and drafting a OG or OT is a must. Rivers needs a clean pocket. Another player SD should look at is Tavon Austin. He can be that check down / slot player.
We already have Eddie Royal, as that guy, he's just been hurt.

People cant forget that Meachem, Matthews, Vincent Brown, Royal, Gaither among others have been hurt nearly all year, either with just being banged up, or with serious injuries.
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman57 View Post
We already have Eddie Royal, as that guy, he's just been hurt.

People cant forget that Meachem, Matthews, Vincent Brown, Royal, Gaither among others have been hurt nearly all year, either with just being banged up, or with serious injuries.
Matthews is always hurt so you have to most likely draft a RB to back him up.
Meachem has been somewhat of a FA bust
Brown was hurt all year
Royal is no where near the player Austin is. Maybe you're thinking of that rookie season he had
And Gaither is a 6 foot 9 345 pound guy with a bad back... you want to give him a big contract?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
When you have a 31 year old QB who's struggled for the past two seasons and the backup is Charlie Whitehurst, you probably draft a QB. Not necessarily an early-round guy, but somebody you can develop.
Exactly.

Rivers is a problem, but he's not THE problem or the root of the problem. He needs certain things to be successful and they just don't have that. Developmental QB is needed because its likely Rivers will be washed up by the time the talent around him in at an acceptable level.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Jack203
Rookie

Jack203 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Jack203 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rivers is currently playing at an avg to slightly below avg QB play.

He is only getting older, and is simply not good enough to take the Chargers anywhere.

They'll draft a QB this year, almost definitely. It might not be a high pick.
Jack203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bornnraisedwhodat
Rookie

bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bornnraisedwhodat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Phillip has had some issues, but it truly is not all on him. I can think of a good 10 teams that would run at the chance of taking Phillip (2 of them in their own division). They dont need another Drew Brees situation. Get that guy a good run game and a good head coach, some offensive line help and they would be ok. I dont see anyone in this year's draft that can outplay Rivers.
bornnraisedwhodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Rivers was QB of a team with LT, Sproles, Turner, Jackson, Gates ( when great ) Hardwick, Dielman and McNeill

That's 3 pro bowl linemen, 1 pro bowl WR and 3 pro bowl Rb's ( 1 who's also the best 3rd down back in the league )

It's not that Rivers isn't any good... His team isn't any good.
And if he cant win a superbowl with all that talent then why do you think he can do it now when he not at his peak and doesnt have the talent around him? If you don't think he can win the superbowl then you need to atleast be bringing someone in that you think can take over for him in a few years.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. The problem is the offensive scheme. He's been running it for years and everyone has it figured out.