Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I'm fully for all teams finding ways to help curtail drunk driving, but this totally crosses the line into taking away the individual liberties from 99% of the people who haven't done anything wrong.

I don't see this happening. This is something the Player's Union would and should fight, making themselves useful for once instead of just obstructing the more sensible things the NFL tries to do. (Where is that HGH testing fellas?)

If something like this were to done but only to players who have already had a drunk driving arrest, then I could get behind it. But it's an intrusive annoyance for the players who've never done anything wrong, the vast majority of them.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Adrian Peterson is playing out of his mind. In the last seven weeks, he's rushed for 1101 yards on 152 carries. That's 157 yards per game, and 7.2 yards per carry.
I may have to see how he finishes the year out, but I think I'm getting close to saying had he not started the year off slow, or rusty, whatever you wanna call it, he could have broken the single season rushing record this year. Again though, have to see how he finishes. If he can hit 2k after that serious knee injury late last season and missing most of the off-season, I don't think that would be too big of a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
If it's going to stop people from drunk driving, why not use it?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I'm fully for all teams finding ways to help curtail drunk driving, but this totally crosses the line into taking away the individual liberties from 99% of the people who haven't done anything wrong.
I don't see this happening. This is something the Player's Union would and should fight, making themselves useful for once instead of just obstructing the more sensible things the NFL tries to do. (Where is that HGH testing fellas?)

If something like this were to done but only to players who have already had a drunk driving arrest, then I could get behind it. But it's an intrusive annoyance for the players who've never done anything wrong, the vast majority of them.
See, I disagree with this point. Playing in the NFL isn't a right, it's a career choice. If your team does this and you don't like it, sign with another team. I think your 99% level is also quite a bit of an exaggeration. 2 or 3 guys per team get DUIs every year it seems. Even more get away with it. It's not isolated incidents. I wouldn't be surprised it 25% of the league get high or drunk pretty often and still drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If were going to use the NFL is a business argument then maybe they should start acting like a business and not a baby sitting service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
See, I disagree with this point. Playing in the NFL isn't a right, it's a career choice. If your team does this and you don't like it, sign with another team. I think your 99% level is also quite a bit of an exaggeration. 2 or 3 guys per team get DUIs every year it seems. Even more get away with it. It's not isolated incidents. I wouldn't be surprised it 25% of the league get high or drunk pretty often and still drives.
Think about it this way, if someone where you worked got a DUI and the company decided that all employees now had to have these installed in their cars, despite the vast majority doing nothing wrong, there is going to be hell to pay. Various civil liberties groups are going to be brought in and things are going to go to hell pretty quickly.

I have never driven in my life after drinking if I felt I were even close to the legal limit. I imagine that most people haven't. And I'd be completely offended to be lumped in like that.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look out Strahan!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forget where I read this, but the government is looking to into finally taxing the NFL. A 9 billion dollar business, or a entity made up by 32 individual businesses.

They somehow found a magic loop hole, became a non-profit. Lulz? waaahhtt? NFL, non-profit football league?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

being offended? **** that. unbunch your panties and be okay with it. I don't give a **** if you taking 25 seconds out of your drinking to take a breathalyzer offends you if it can potentially save lives. I'm all for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
being offended? **** that. unbunch your panties and be okay with it. I don't give a **** if you taking 25 seconds out of your drinking to take a breathalyzer offends you if it can potentially save lives. I'm all for it.
So you are saying it should be required that every car in the world comes with one of these installed or have to be installed in older cars now?
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. You just can't start imposing stuff like this on everyone. If that's the case, why not slap ankle monitors on every player? Ban restrictions for going out of the city on weekends, and make curfews at 9pm for everyone. If you don't like it, quit, or play for another team right? Let's be serious guys. You just can't start making those types of restrictions on all players. That's a method used for serious DWI/DUI offenders but now you want to use it for every player.

Do you guys not realize what type of pandora's box that would open up? If you allowed this, where do you ever draw the line? This would never, ever be allowed regardless of what anyone thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
So you are saying it should be required that every car in the world comes with one of these installed or have to be installed in older cars now?
I won't speak for scotty, but that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the NFL is a business. For the sake of protecting their image and their investments (playes), they have every right to require this for their players. If they don't like it, pleay somewhere else.

This isn't a civil liberties issue. There is no right to play football. There is no right to drive a car. So if a company notices that they have a serious issue with drunk driving, they have every right to put in place measures to reduce it.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with this. If the NFL wants it's players to start using the driving service more often then it needs to come down harder on those who get caught DUI. You hear all the time of it being someones 1st offense and then it gets swept under the rug until/unless it happens again. A lot of times that 1st time getting caught doesn't result in tragedy, thankfully, but sometimes it does and the odds of tragedy occurring go up with each repeated offense.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I think you guys are looking at this wrong. You just can't start imposing stuff like this on everyone. If that's the case, why not slap ankle monitors on every player? Ban restrictions for going out of the city on weekends, and make curfews at 9pm for everyone. If you don't like it, quit, or play for another team right? Let's be serious guys. You just can't start making those types of restrictions on all players. That's a method used for serious DWI/DUI offenders but now you want to use it for every player.

Do you guys not realize what type of pandora's box that would open up? If you allowed this, where do you ever draw the line? This would never, ever be allowed regardless of what anyone thinks.
This.

Doing this would be imposing far too much on the individual freedoms of the vast majority of players who have done nothing wrong.

The NFL and teams absolutely should go after the offenders. Longer and harsher fines and suspensions for DUI offenses are one thing that should be imposed. Installing these devices into the cars of players who have alcohol related offenses on their record is another possibility worth considering.

But a blanket policy that punishes players who've done nothing wrong in unacceptable. I am 100% sure the Players Union would block the **** out of an attempt to impose such a thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I won't speak for scotty, but that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the NFL is a business. For the sake of protecting their image and their investments (playes), they have every right to require this for their players. If they don't like it, pleay somewhere else.

This isn't a civil liberties issue. There is no right to play football. There is no right to drive a car. So if a company notices that they have a serious issue with drunk driving, they have every right to put in place measures to reduce it.

This is hilarious to me, this whole argument. If the NFL really wanted to conduct itself like a business, these players just wouldnt have jobs, simple as that. What other business in the world is going to let multiple DUI offenders continue to work for them? No where, thats because they fire their asses- they don't spend millions to babysit them when they arent at work.

And to further the issue, why don't we take precautions against other types of crimes? Like Long horns said, lets just monitor all employees outside of the work place at all times to assure they aren't drinking too much, or engaging in illegal substances.

Or, if were going to back this up by saying its a business lets actually expect them to act like a business and hold its employees to act like ******* rational human beings. I'm sorry but thats a poor argument to make because this is in no way an acceptable decision for a "business" to be making in regards to assuring their employees are making the right decisions while not at work.
Quote:
This.

Doing this would be imposing far too much on the individual freedoms of the vast majority of players who have done nothing wrong.

The NFL and teams absolutely should go after the offenders. Longer and harsher fines and suspensions for DUI offenses are one thing that should be imposed. Installing these devices into the cars of players who have alcohol related offenses on their record is another possibility worth considering.

But a blanket policy that punishes players who've done nothing wrong in unacceptable. I am 100% sure the Players Union would block the **** out of an attempt to impose such a thing.
Pretty much what he said too. Players that want to act bulletproof are only being encouraged to do so because of the special treatment they get as employees of the NFL. If the NFL was really concerned about this issue they would take more measures to assure that the people in wrong were being punished accordingly, not investing into ******* car breathilizers for everyone (I know this is just the cowboys organization but in general).

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Last edited by Jvig43 : 12-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently, these ignition interlock devices are a huge pain in the ass:

Quote:
But even I wasn't prepared for how disruptive this thing can be to one's lifestyle. Several notes:

» It's hard to blow into. It took me two days to learn the proper technique (stop laughing). I've been late to appointments because I wasn't able to get my car started in time.

Just the past two days, I've gotten used to how to properly let out enough air while humming, so I've been consistent in starting my car.

» It randomly tests you as you drive. I was told the first one is always within 15 minutes. But in the past few days, the despicable device has beeped me for a test within three minutes of me starting the car. Apparently I was given a very needy version of the device.

The device gives you six minutes to pull over and perform the random test. If you don't, you get a violation. Get five violations, and you have 72 hours to take the device back to the vendor for recalibration, or it will lock the ignition.

» Mouthwash will register as a fail, so rinse with water if you gargle. I tested it by giving my mouth a good rinse with some Listerine. I had minty fresh breath, but unfortunately, I couldn't drive my car anywhere. After a fail, you're given 15 minutes before you can try again.

Other embarrassing scenarios I've been in:

» Having to blow while at the drive-through window of a fast-food restaurant.

» Other drivers seeing me blowing as they pass by me.

» Taking forever to get out of a parking stall and having another car wait for me while I'm trying to find the right pitch for the hum.

Did I mention that you have to pay $89 a month plus tax to go through this humiliation?
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...l?id=119902659
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't get where you are coming from BB... exactly what civil liberty is being taken away from them?

Is being allowed to break the law a civil liberty because if it is, I apologise, but last time I checked, civil liberties did not extend to breaking the law.

Putting a device on a car that stops a drunk driver being able to operate it is a method of crime prevention. It doesn't do anything to anyone who is legally operating the vehicle, it doesn't take away any right or liberty or the ability to legally operate a vehicle. All it does is stop morons from being able to inflict their moronic thought process onto innocent victims and their own stupid self as an added bonus.

Again... I'm pretty certain that being able to break the law is not an individual freedom that should be protected, if it can even be defined as that.

I would personally fully support these systems being mandatory on all vehicles for everyone. As someone who has never drunk driven in my life and who has no desire to ever do it or support someone else doing it I don't see any issue with such a device. Hell even if it only operated in between certain hours it would be a good start. I see it as akin to video review, we have the technology to get it right for everyone and make the roads safer, so why the hell not use it?

I'd love to hear what individual freedom you actually think is being taken away from anyone here other than the ability to drink drive?

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I really don't get where you are coming from BB... exactly what civil liberty is being taken away from them?

Is being allowed to break the law a civil liberty because if it is, I apologise, but last time I checked, civil liberties did not extend to breaking the law.

Putting a device on a car that stops a drunk driver being able to operate it is a method of crime prevention. It doesn't do anything to anyone who is legally operating the vehicle, it doesn't take away any right or liberty or the ability to legally operate a vehicle. All it does is stop morons from being able to inflict their moronic thought process onto innocent victims and their own stupid self as an added bonus.

Again... I'm pretty certain that being able to break the law is not an individual freedom that should be protected, if it can even be defined as that.

I would personally fully support these systems being mandatory on all vehicles for everyone. As someone who has never drunk driven in my life and who has no desire to ever do it or support someone else doing it I don't see any issue with such a device. Hell even if it only operated in between certain hours it would be a good start. I see it as akin to video review, we have the technology to get it right for everyone and make the roads safer, so why the hell not use it?

I'd love to hear what individual freedom you actually think is being taken away from anyone here other than the ability to drink drive?
You're inconveniencing people who did absolutely nothing wrong. Perhaps civil liberty wasn't the best term to use, but you are absolutely saddling people guilty of absolutely no wrongdoing with an extreme inconvenience (see WCH's article above.)

Just because these guys are more highly paid than your average office workers doesn't make it right. If any other place of business tried to impose this on their workers, they'd be fought tooth and nail nonstop.

Punish the players who have done wrong and leave the ones who are guilty of no wrong doing here alone.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

By going off of this reasoning, we should just make alcohol illegal and be done with it. I mean if some people can't make responsible decisions while drinking we should just take measures to punish everyone to assure that that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You're inconveniencing people who did absolutely nothing wrong. Perhaps civil liberty wasn't the best term to use, but you are absolutely saddling people guilty of absolutely no wrongdoing with an extreme inconvenience (see WCH's article above.)

Just because these guys are more highly paid than your average office workers doesn't make it right. If any other place of business tried to impose this on their workers, they'd be fought tooth and nail nonstop.

Punish the players who have done wrong and leave the ones who are guilty of no wrong doing here alone.
I could get down on this. In fact, if Goodell today proposed requiring any player who has ever tested positive for drugs or been arrested for a DUI to have one of these in their cars, I would be cool with it. Start with the guys who have already got in trouble. If that doesn't substantially reduce the DUIs, then they can expand it.

But Goodell would never do this. He's too busy making sure defensive players don't hit too hard and quarterbacks don't get sand in the vag to actually address any serious issues in the NFL.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't understand why they dont all have drivers. If I was that rich that would be my favorite thing I owned. Never have to worry about having a DD again.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so we're worrying more about punishing people harder who get DUI's instead of trying to prevent said DUI's in the first place?

Oh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to throw this out there, it was posted on Twitter early this morning by Darren Rovell.

Quote:
@darrenrovell: 28% of total NFL player arrests since '00 have been DUI. 11.6% of arrests for general population ages 21-34 are DUIs, according to FBI.
Just an interesting stat, that over a fourth of arrests by NFL players are DUIs. I don't know if the breathalyzer in the car is the solution, maybe it is maybe it isn't, but something needs to be done. DUIs are incredibly dangerous for the players safety and the people on the road. I know people who have family or friends who've been killed by drunk drivers, and something needs to be done to at least hopefully reduce the amount of DUIs in half. It'll have to be drastic measures to change it though, I don't have any better ideas than a breathalyzer but I'd rather take heat as an owner or GM for trying to save lives, than to have another incident similar to what just happened occur again. It's not right that these million dollar athletes have little responsibility relative to the public. They work hard getting ready for game, but in many cases a DUI and you're fired from a normal desk job, but in the NFL you get a spanking and your million dollars and call it a day.

Maybe I'm just way more against DUIs because I have personal experiences, but I don't like how it's becoming a serious problem.

Last edited by Shreckart : 12-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
so we're worrying more about punishing people harder who get DUI's instead of trying to prevent said DUI's in the first place?

Oh.
So why dont we just go ahead and make the consumption of alcohol illegal again then. It would prevent all said DUIs.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darren Rovell's comparison is one of those "How to lie with statistics" type things. It would be much more useful to know what percentage of NFL players are arrested and charged with a DUI, compared to the percentage for the general population of men ages 21-34.

I suspect that this comparison is just telling us that active NFL players aren't being arrested for poverty-related crimes like shoplifting, larceny, breaking and entering, and armed robbery.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote