Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
What do you think this means for CJ rushing this week?
If they keep it close, then he should get more carries. Part of the problem with rushing yardage this year has just been lack of carries. But this o-line could get pwned, and if they start off the rushing game on a bad note, they also may abandon it. But he did run for 99 yards and a 4.7 avg against the Colts last time, their run D sucks.

So the short answer = who knows? I hope the patch work o-line can do a decent job and maybe CJ has a solid day at least. I'm not gonna bet any monye here though lol.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That out pass by Locker from the endzone was the differance today. Two things. Don't throw an out route when you have a corner in press coverage and two don't throw it near Nate Washington.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't looked at the numbers to support this claim, but I bet he was also pretty bad in the red zone, and it feels like he has been all year. The inconsistencies with him from inside the pocket are very, very worrisome, but he deserves more time. I'm trying not to rush to judgement with him, but I'll just say that I'd be lying if I said I was overly confident in our future. Our coaching staff is full of buffoons.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Haven't looked at the numbers to support this claim, but I bet he was also pretty bad in the red zone, and it feels like he has been all year. The inconsistencies with him from inside the pocket are very, very worrisome, but he deserves more time. I'm trying not to rush to judgement with him, but I'll just say that I'd be lying if I said I was overly confident in our future. Our coaching staff is full of buffoons.
Not to defend anyone but it's really hard to win football games when you can't run the ball. The other thing that is noticeable is their starting field position seems terrible.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to run the football when your o-line is starting four guys who were backups at the start of the season to starters who already weren't very good run blockers.

But at this point I pretty much want the whole staff dumped this offseason.

And yeah, Jake was very poor in the red zone today. Just like he's been all season.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another thing that is very worrisome that was basically known pre-draft is that our supposed defensive leader can't stay on the damn field. I really want to like McCarthy, but damn, he's only available every 2-3 weeks to play, and even in those games he plays he's clearly not healthy.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zach Brown would have had another sack today, but the Colts got away with a clear hold on him. Luck ended up completing the pass for a big play.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Morgan sucks. I know he got hurried Luck a couple times but he has like 2-3 sacks this whole season. He has lot like 6 totals career sacks. He is not the answer. Ayers is so good and Zach Brown is good. McCarthy needs to stay healthy.

We need safties, a DT, and a passrusher besides Ayers.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Wimbley is worse, and is a liability against the run to boot. There have been several games this year where Morgan has gotten more consistent pressure than Wimbley. Neither is great, but Morgan is easily the better player.

Last edited by Pit Bull #53 : 12-27-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling. I'm an idiot.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing you wonder about Jake is his mental ability to handle the game. He's not VY dumb, but he's never been labeled a cerebral QB. I remember reading some stuff before the draft that made me a bit worried about how he'd handle the mental side of the game. His play has left us scratching our heads at times.

It's still too early to judge really, but I can't say my concerns have lessened. I hope to see Jake as one of the elite SB winning QB's, but I wouldn't bank on it. The team will likely need a strong D and run game for consistant success, and we know we need help on both those fronts for sure. I know we have some good pieces, but we have to have a very solid offseason with free agency and the draft (and possibly coaching) to get turned around.

I'm becoming a bit envious of teams with young QB's like RG3, Cam Newton, Luck, or even guys like Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is anyone else intrigued about having Chip Kelly as coach if Munchuk were to get fired? Seeing the success of Schiano made me think more about it and well

We have some nice talent at the skilled position and a athletic QB to adjust to his offence and well I want to be entertained!

Plus, Andrew Luck cannot beat Chip Kelly led teams without Toby Gerhart. We have to think about our future, because I don't see this Luck guy leaving our division for about 15 or so years.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

David Shaw would be number one on my coaching wish list. I've read from a couple of different places that he would never leave Stanford for a college coaching job, but that he might consider the pros.

I love his track record and his offense.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offseason is shaping up to be a crucial one.

I like Munch as HC, but we need good coordinators. Very good coordinators. And there'll be some this offseason, especially at OC. Norv Turner, Ken Whisenhunt, or even Tom Moore if he wants to stay around. I hear good things about Loggains, but if I were Munch, and my job was on the line, I'm hiring a proven guy. I think Wiz fits Munchak's philosophy better, but feel Turner fits the personnel better. There's a possibility that Bill Callahan may be out in Dallas if they go after Turner, and Munch's first choice last time was Callahan.

As for defense, who knows? If Ron Rivera is out, then he'd be my first choice. Wash has been let go of by Philly, and I wouldn't mind him back. We'd need a SS who can step up against the run when the Wide 9 gets beat, but with our LB's, I think the defense could handle it. And it would greatly benefit Morgan, due to the stunts, and Wimbley, cause he's trash.

And I hope we address the pass-rush in both the draft and FA.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

^

The offensive line seems a critical need. I'm really warming to D.J. Fluker of Alabama. I like a guy that come in and maul some people.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
^

The offensive line seems a critical need. I'm really warming to D.J. Fluker of Alabama. I like a guy that come in and maul some people.
Totally agree. We really, REALLY need to inject some good young talent into the OL; and I'm not talking about bringing in another aging veteran or another mid-to-late round "bargain" OL. After all, we haven't drafted an OL in the 1st Round since 1993 (Brad Hopkins), and we haven't even drafted an early-round OL since 1995 (Michael Roos in the 2nd Round).

Our OL has gotten too old/average at the key positions because we haven't invested there with high-round talent in nearly a decade. Right now, most of the mocks have us taking defense early and often in this draft; and I agree that most of our picks should be on the defensive side of the ball (at every level). But, as I've said previously, I hope that we take the best-available OL with our first pick -- e.g. someone like Lewan, Joeckel, Warmack, Fluker, etc. -- and then load up on DEF talent with every other pick in the draft.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I thought the OL was doing ok before it was decimated by injuries. We saw improvement in the run blocking, which is big. It shows that Munch's confidence was founded, and Matthews can coach.

They'd only take an LT in the 1st RD. Munch has said that the 1st RD is for tackles, and I don't think that was coach speak since he was trying to explain to a room full of reporters why he passed on an amazing OG prospect. And I'd greatly protest taking Joeckel or another LT prospect with Roos and Stewart already under contract for the next two years (although I believe Stewart has an option). Next year on the other hand, it may be smart to draft a guy, develop him for a year, and then plug him in like we did Stewart.

I'd be fine with an OL in the 2nd RD, provided we hit FA hard and get a special player in the 1st RD. But by doing so, we'd pass on the 2nd RD safety prospects, and I think it's more important to get a guy like Matt Elam or Tony Jefferson than it is to get an OG.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Cook out for the rest of the year with a torn rotator cuff.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Poor Cookie. Will it be the last we see of him? Well trying to stay positive, maybe we see what Thompson has now in the passing game. I don't think they can be happy with just letting him block and not seeing if he can be the receiving threat they envisioned.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Eh, I thought the OL was doing ok before it was decimated by injuries. We saw improvement in the run blocking, which is big. It shows that Munch's confidence was founded, and Matthews can coach.

They'd only take an LT in the 1st RD. Munch has said that the 1st RD is for tackles, and I don't think that was coach speak since he was trying to explain to a room full of reporters why he passed on an amazing OG prospect. And I'd greatly protest taking Joeckel or another LT prospect with Roos and Stewart already under contract for the next two years (although I believe Stewart has an option). Next year on the other hand, it may be smart to draft a guy, develop him for a year, and then plug him in like we did Stewart.
I know that's Munch's position -- that only OTs are worth early-round picks. And it's fine if you believe that as a "general rule," but this position can be very problematic if taken as an absolute truth -- allowing your OL to get old without having any talented younger guys there to help share the load (as we've seen in our own OL). It's OK to have general, guiding principles by which you operate, but you also have to know when to abandon that "rule" and when to adhere to it.

Ultimately, the OL is like any other position. You have to invest in it with early-round talent occasionally; and we haven't done that in, again, nearly 10 years, which is FOREVER in the life of your average football player, coach, and organization. Of course, I don't think we should reach for an OL in the 1st Round, if there's not one there; but I think that there are a number of worthy OL who will be available at our pick (which will probably be in the #5-10 range).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

I generally agree with really only valuing OT's high, and LT really being the high priority with a right handed QB. Thing is I think our OT's aren't really showing bad signs of age, I would not be spending a high pick on OT this year for sure. I also understand value shopping for o-line, but it seems we've been a bit too worried about trying to get a good value guy instead of going for a higher talent early. We could use more talent in the middle of the o-line now. We will all ask the question of whether or not they will pull the trigger this time around, but I bet we will all be oh so shocked again this year when we once again don't go o-line early. Yet I think we'd all agree the d-line more so needs an infusion of talent.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not saying its going to happen, but this is an interesting wrinkle... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...s-johnson-deal
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Not saying its going to happen, but this is an interesting wrinkle... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...s-johnson-deal
I know that CJ takes a lot of flak from some Titans fans and that some of that criticism is justified, as he definitely struggled early in the season -- especially with trying to force a big run every time rather than taking the smaller 3-4 easy yards that were there. However, CJ settled down as the season progressed.

Overall, he's been our best, most consistent player for the past few seasons behind a really lackluster run-blocking unit. We've got lots of holes on the DEF side of the ball, some holes in the OL, etc. So it doesn't make much sense to me to add yet another hole to that equation by cutting our most consistent and arguably most dynamic player. Basically...I don't think CJ's our problem.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CJ will be even more effective next season when we add a beastly right guard and Stephan Taylor to help him carry the load.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

I made this post in the SJax Hall of Fame thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
The only active RB's who have a shot are Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

History will show Peterson to be the consensus superior RB between the two, especially given how he's had to deal with injuries and CJ hasn't, but they'll still see CJ as a special player who recorded one of the all time best seasons by a RB. Both have been the best at their position at one point in their career, which is big. Barring injury, AD is set to break the 10,000 yard mark at the end of only his 7th season, and CJ will probably do it in the middle of his 8th season. Peterson is having just a monster year that in all likelihood will leave CJ in the dust (He has a shot at 2,000 yards as well), but after their first 4 seasons respectively, AD has 5,782 yards to CJ's 5,645 yards, a difference of only 137 yards, and CJ only needs 70 more yards in 3 games to pass AD for the most yards in their first 5 seasons. I doubt he catches AD after Peterson finishes with his projected 1,900+ yard rushing season this year, but I think all CJ has to do is keep it close and voters will value that despite AD being the consistently better player throughout their careers, he could never exceed what CJ did in 2009.
I think CJ is a special player, and I'd prefer to keep him in Tennessee. I'd also prefer not to add a need at RB to the litany of other needs we have, especially with an upcoming draft class whose best RB won't be able to play next season. We don't need the cap room, and if we did, I can think of other players I'd rather see go than CJ (Wimbley, Amano, and Griffin, namely). Plus, we have the expiring contracts of guys like Hasselbeck (although I would most certainly like him back) and Witherspoon, so that'll free up money.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

I can't see letting CJ go. He's special, we need the offense around him to get better.

And we won a game tonight...weird.