Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > DraftCountdown.com Spotlight > "DC" Scouting Reports

"DC" Scouting Reports See the Latest Scouting Report Additions!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Matt Barkley, QB, USC
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...tt-Barkley.php

Please feel free to join the discussion on this prospect!

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man, first scouting report of the year! It's draft season folks!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay! He's back. Glad to see these reports up early. Barkley's a polarizing prospect for sure and athletic Dalton isnt a bad comparison. Also, Pro-Style experience isn't something I would call a positive. Lane Kiffin's bajillion bubble screen offense is much more spread derivative and I would say hurt Barkley a bit.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Initially my first thought for a comparison was Mark Sanchez but the more I thought about it Sanchez was more athletic and had more upside coming out. Not to mention it was a bit clichéd.

In my mind Barkley is a rich-man's Dalton and can similarly effective in a West Coast Offense.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

Matt Barkley, QB, USC
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...tt-Barkley.php

Please feel free to join the discussion on this prospect!
I have been waiting for this like a kid waits for Santa to come down the chimney.

Thank you Santa!!!

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

his pocket presense and overall release/awareness reminds me of brees a lot
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Frisco$finest
Rookie

Frisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairFrisco$finest is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I love this!! Been waiting all year for the 1st scouting report.

Frisco$finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Warriorz319
Rookie

Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So glad to see the 1st scouting report out of the year, it means draft is finally getting ready to pick up again. With that said I don't agree with the 1st round grade on Barkley he is a great clip board guy but I don't see anything that indicates he will be a good NFL starter. I see him as more of a 3rd round Jimmy Clausen type guy (without the attitude), very little upside in Barkley and he lacks the arm to make any wow throws. Andy Dalton comparison seems a bit off I see more of a Mark Brunell type career for Barkley. Very Capable of winning a few games as a back up but as a starter will leave a lot to be desired despite his high football IQ. However, that is just my opinion.
Warriorz319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In my mind Barkley is a rich-man's Dalton and can similarly effective in a West Coast Offense.
What's his ideal landing spot, in your opinion, Scott?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What's his ideal landing spot, in your opinion, Scott?
I think Arizona would be a GREAT landing spot for Barkley. Good weather so the arm strength wouldn't be an issue like it would in say Buffalo, a relatively talented team with some weapons like Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Beanie Wells / Ryan Williams, etc. Add Barkley to the equation and shore up the offensive line and the Cardinals would be cooking with gas.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Arizona would be a GREAT landing spot for Barkley. Good weather so the arm strength wouldn't be an issue like it would in say Buffalo, a relatively talented team with some weapons like Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Beanie Wells / Ryan Williams, etc. Add Barkley to the equation and shore up the offensive line and the Cardinals would be cooking with gas.
This was my first thought as well after reading Brent's post. Ideally, I see them trading back into the end of the 1st or the top of the 2nd to get him. Or do you think they have to take him in the top 10, Scott?
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
This was my first thought as well after reading Brent's post. Ideally, I see them trading back into the end of the 1st or the top of the 2nd to get him. Or do you think they have to take him in the top 10, Scott?
I think it will be a debate whether the Cardinals should go quarterback or offensive tackle in the Top 10. However, if Arizona feels like Matt Barkley or Geno Smith can be the guy they should pull the trigger and not play around. Just too important of a position to be looking for bargains.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Everybody wants to trade back and still get the player they want...

If Barkley is good enough to be their franchise QB, why would he still be available in the late first/early second? It doesn't appear there will be other top QB prospects pushing him down the board. It also doesn't appear QBs will stop being high valued. If Arizona thinks he's their guy, they should probably just get take him with the first chance they get.

Or they could just make another typical Arizona top 10 pick, and pass on a QB for some premier athlete who won't be able to help the team overcome their lack of a QB.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Everybody wants to trade back and still get the player they want...

If Barkley is good enough to be their franchise QB, why would he still be available in the late first/early second? It doesn't appear there will be other top QB prospects pushing him down the board. It also doesn't appear QBs will stop being high valued. If Arizona thinks he's their guy, they should probably just get take him with the first chance they get.

Or they could just make another typical Arizona top 10 pick, and pass on a QB for some premier athlete who won't be able to help the team overcome their lack of a QB.
I didn't say trade back.

Edit: well, what I meant was trading a future pick/picks to get back into the end of the 1st round/top of round 2.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez and upside should never be used in the same sentence.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'd send Cleveland a late round pick for Colt McCoy before I'd drop a 1 on this guy. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dallas should take him. They've got time to groom him.

People fretting too much about his size and arm strength.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I think I'd send Cleveland a late round pick for Colt McCoy before I'd drop a 1 on this guy. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it.
There's no need to disrespect Barkley like that.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Those are weird words.

Colt McCoy has only proven that he's a solid backup quarterback and obviously hasn't shown anything special in practice to cause any controversy in Cleveland, where the starting quarterback is Brandon Weeden.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks to the new CBA, you no longer have to pay out the ass for early first round draft picks. However, you still have to commit the years and the coaches time depends a lot on said quarterback succeeding. You see what is going on in Minnesota, the Vikings are pretty much stuck with committing to Christian Ponder, even though the passing game might cost them a playoff spot. The reasons that I bring this up is that picking an early quarterback is still a franchise altering move. It all boils down to if Barkley is worth it?
As far as I know, here are teams options for the quarterback position outside of the draft:
Trade for Alex Smith
Sign Michael Vick
Trade for Matt Flynn
Trade for Kirk Cousins
Trade for Joe Webb

Flynn and Webb have outside shots of being traded, but it could happen. Granted that you still have to commit years to whoever you trade for, there are different circumstances that make it a little bit easier to cut bait with a veteran. Just like I've said plenty of times on this board, if you think the QB you target is your guy, get him and commit to him.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
Those are weird words.

Colt McCoy has only proven that he's a solid backup quarterback and obviously hasn't shown anything special in practice to cause any controversy in Cleveland, where the starting quarterback is Brandon Weeden.
And yet he'd be a cheaper version of Barkley. I just don't see this guy as someone worthy of a high draft pick.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Dangermouse
Rookie

Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'll be an average to good QB down the line. Sorta like maybe Josh Freeman, Dalton, etc

I'd nab him in the mid first but I do think he'll end up going higher.
Dangermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorz319 View Post
So glad to see the 1st scouting report out of the year, it means draft is finally getting ready to pick up again. With that said I don't agree with the 1st round grade on Barkley he is a great clip board guy but I don't see anything that indicates he will be a good NFL starter. I see him as more of a 3rd round Jimmy Clausen type guy (without the attitude), very little upside in Barkley and he lacks the arm to make any wow throws. Andy Dalton comparison seems a bit off I see more of a Mark Brunell type career for Barkley. Very Capable of winning a few games as a back up but as a starter will leave a lot to be desired despite his high football IQ. However, that is just my opinion.
You know Mark Brunell was a damn good player when he was with the Jags, right? Plus, he ran a 4.6 40 and used every bit of it to his advantage early in his career. I don't think he's anything like Brunell was. He reminds me of Jimmy Clausen/Brodie Croyle and a best case scenario of Chad Pennington. He's a guy with an unimpressive frame and physical traits and manages the game well around his much more talented teammates. A right handed Matt Leinart with a better work ethic.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Initially my first thought for a comparison was Mark Sanchez but the more I thought about it Sanchez was more athletic and had more upside coming out. Not to mention it was a bit clichéd.

andy dalton is better athlete than mark sanchez

mark sanchez is the best comparison to barkeley, he just more accurate than sanchez
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote