Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not as dissapointed as I am usually over a loss. Mainly because even though the team came out flat as hell, they fought back hard. I am very glad to see that. Both sides of the ball worked hard and overcame a huge deficit.

Even the defense played very well most of the 2nd half, although Kyle Arrington ****** it as usual. But I feel good if we were to play these guys in New Orleans.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Not as dissapointed as I am usually over a loss. Mainly because even though the team came out flat as hell, they fought back hard. I am very glad to see that. Both sides of the ball worked hard and overcame a huge deficit.

Even the defense played very well most of the 2nd half, although Kyle Arrington ****** it as usual. But I feel good if we were to play these guys in New Orleans.
My thoughts exactly. (Back to studying for finals)

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This is the thing. A loss is never ideal, however I wouldn't imagine the Pats offense having such a bad half again this year, especially considering outside of the Wildcard round the worst place they have to play is Denver. Normally the Pats thrive in adverse conditions but it clearly affected everyone early yesterday. I think the defense can play better (with a better gameplan) and the offense can most definitely play better. The biggest thing to take away is the Pats scored 4 TDs against the leagues best defense in less than 1 quarter

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes well they were also for some reason playing soft zones against brady who had to face pathetic three man rushes with Smith out. Idk I think thats worth taking into consideration as well, but yeah I am very happy that we at least fought back to make it a game. If special teams doesnt **** up that badly leading to a terrible Arrington play, we were all over that team. We didnt deserve to win by any means, but at that point they werent getting anything going on offense or stopping us on defense. I think its a good thing we got one more loss before the playoffs start, hopefully its a wake up call for us to get our acts together. Denver looks scary good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Yes well they were also for some reason playing soft zones against brady who had to face pathetic three man rushes with Smith out. Idk I think thats worth taking into consideration as well, but yeah I am very happy that we at least fought back to make it a game. If special teams doesnt **** up that badly leading to a terrible Arrington play, we were all over that team. We didnt deserve to win by any means, but at that point they werent getting anything going on offense or stopping us on defense. I think its a good thing we got one more loss before the playoffs start, hopefully its a wake up call for us to get our acts together. Denver looks scary good.
Denver are clicking but I am getting less and less impressed with Manning's arm. I have a feeling it's getting tired because he is throwing quite a few ducks each week the last few. That defense is just straight nasty right now though

The big return by James was such a momentum killer. The defense had played lights out after Crabs 2nd TD and were really dominating up front. Then the long return put them in a hole. The issue with where they started was, if it was on their own 20 then you can play it a little safer and just play it straight and base what you are doing off what the offense is showing you formation wise. Where it was the 49ers needed like 15 yards for a field goal but also with a chance to take some time off the clock. That's probably why we saw the cover 0, 7 man rush. I didn't like the call when it happened and I don't like it now, but the biggest issue is Arrington bailed and played off Crabtree. If you are going all out with pressure at least bump the WR and make Kaep stand in the pocket and beat you over the top. Don't give the easy hot read and hope to make the tackle with no help behind

Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Yeah, I think those comments are fair enough. Watching the game at the time and seeing twitter comments blasting Dennard I thought it was ridiculous because he was literally stuck between 2 TEs (Dennard is 5'10 200ish and really shouldn't be the main coverage guy on TEs, let alone on 2). However in general I don't think his technique was great on the play. He needs to play outside in really. Trust your makeup speed or the deep safety to get to Davis before the throw arrives, but by shading inside he really had no chance. That being said both guys had free releases and really the play was there from the get go.

I think it's an indication of how BB wanted the defense to play Kaep. For every simple handoff there was always a defender there to meet Kaep to limit his rushes, however you can't defend Gore successfully with 10 men and it also hurts the initial level of the pass defense.

I know Mayo made a lot of tackles last night but I was actually disappointed with him. Towards the end of the game Spikes made some nice tackles but throuhout the entire game I thought Hightower was very solid. He's never going to be a guy like Jon Beason who is basically a rocked up safety, but he holds his own in coverage, is a very good blitzer and good in the run game.
There is so much to digest from last night's game. We actually used a bunch of 3-4 looks, and by stacking Wilfork, Deaderick, and Jones inside we actually stalemated with Goodwin, Iupati, and Boone which is certainly a feat. When they used those looks I think we put Hightower into his most natural position in the NFL which is 3-4 Strong side OLB. His upside is Ahmad Brooks who is his most natural comparison in the NFL. By limiting his plays where he has to open his hips and get into his backpedal you're essentially playing to his strengths which are as a downhill player. You can stack him over a TE where he can use his strength to get a jam on the TE's, and drop him off into the flat where he can quickly run downhill to hit a back or receiver on a swing pass. I think he has technique issues right now in getting his jam, and shedding blocks which doesn't make him an ideal candidate to play the edge, but I think most of those are coachable and the tools are there. In my frustration last night I said he was a wasted draft pick, which I don't actually believe.

Also, McCourty made a 2nd beautiful interception last week. The transition to safety is going extremely well for him, and I'll happily eat crow on that one. It's nice to see somebody who has some range for once, and it's desperately needed considering Dennard is somewhat of a limited athlete on the outside. Dennard had a badish game last night, but I think he still made some solid plays, and he ran well with Moss on one play. He'll never be a #1, but he's competing out there, and is a million times better than Arrington.

Offensively we just don't look the same without Gronk, even though we're scoring the offense just misses far more throws, and seems under duress much more often. We don't try that pass to Welker that led to the first INT if Gronk is in there, and maybe Aldon Smith can't t off on Brady if he was forced to bump one of the 2 TE's on the line. Lloyd played his ass of last night and actually fought for a few extra yards from time to time. He probably heard all the criticism and responded well which is an excellent sign. I still don't like those backshoulder throws, but we finally seem to be converting some of them which is a plus. Hernadez played a bit like a poon last night, but such is life. He had the most difficult assignment of anybody on the team, and still managed to make plays so I'm not going to kill him for it.

On the line Connolly just isn't getting it done these past few weeks, and guard may still be in the first round discussion. Wendell also whiffed horribly on a block of Willis on an attempted screen in the first half. The tackles played well enough considering who they were going against. Solder and Vollmer got beat clean once or twice, but gave Brady tons of time in parts of the second half which led to big plays. I didn't expect them to be perfect, but they played well enough.

Also, finally we need to stick with the kids at running back. It was pretty much Vereen and Ridley's first extensive experience in that kind of weather considering they're from Cal and LSU. We need them down the stretch, and while I appreciate Woodhead for bailing us out last night with tough running and ball control football, he's not going to get it done if we have to rely on him as a primary back.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 12-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would legitimately pay Andy Lee $5 million as a punter. He's an enormous asset for the 49ers. He killed the Pats with poor field position all day.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The patriots ST is a fairly safe, but mediocre group. The fact that the 49ers are a top flight ST group made it look worse than it is. We need more speed in the return game... *cough Jeff Demps cough*.

We also need to glue the football to Ridley's and Vereen's hands. You have to be extra careful in traffic with a wet ball. So frustrating. If the patriots caught a rhythm like they did in the second half, instead of turning the ball over numerous times. . .

*sigh*
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had discussions with Matt Jones about our interior line... I seriously think we need to look at at adding to it early in the draft.
Our guys have played decently, well at times, but I don't see this group as the long term solution.
Adding another 1st/2nd rd stud would be lovely.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree about the interior OL problems. We could really use an interior OL. (RG/C)

Also, has anyone noticed Tavon Wilson has totally disappeared? He had 4 snaps last night. Four. Great second round pick :/

Of course, 3rd rounder Jake Bequette losing out to Justin Francis is embarrassing as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:

I'm not really disappointed, because I know that what went wrong for NE likely won't go wrong next time... and we should have Gronk back next time.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I agree about the interior OL problems. We could really use an interior OL. (RG/C)

Also, has anyone noticed Tavon Wilson has totally disappeared? He had 4 snaps last night. Four. Great second round pick :/

Of course, 3rd rounder Jake Bequette losing out to Justin Francis is embarrassing as well.
I want to see Donald Thomas get some time at RG over Connolly now. Thomas played really well for Mankins when he was hurt. I also like Wendell quite a bit, although if they are in position to get a guy like Cooper in the first then I would be all over it

As for Wilson, bear in mind that he was never going to be a day one starter and then the Pats moved McCourty to safety. Basically the role he was playing early in the year is now being taken by Chung.

Bequette has been disappointing but it's still early

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I'm just curious why McCourty can't be moved down into the box (or back to corner), Chung back at safety, and Wilson as the primary backup.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'm just curious why McCourty can't be moved down into the box (or back to corner), Chung back at safety, and Wilson as the primary backup.
Especially with Talib and Dennard at CB now the biggest area of need is a guy with enough range to play the deep middle. The Pats coverage scheme has changed so much in the last 5 weeks or so. We are saying way more cover 1 and cover 3 compared to a whole load of cover 2. Chung is a good athlete but his recognition skills and makeup speed aren't what McCourty's are. Gregory is playing very well in his new role (I think Wilson could play it too) where he will play a rover position and seldom play deep coverage. When Chung leaves in FA Wilson will move back up the depth chart

Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Especially with Talib and Dennard at CB now the biggest area of need is a guy with enough range to play the deep middle. The Pats coverage scheme has changed so much in the last 5 weeks or so. We are saying way more cover 1 and cover 3 compared to a whole load of cover 2. Chung is a good athlete but his recognition skills and makeup speed aren't what McCourty's are. Gregory is playing very well in his new role (I think Wilson could play it too) where he will play a rover position and seldom play deep coverage. When Chung leaves in FA Wilson will move back up the depth chart
Pretty much this, McCourty is a much better safety than a corner based on what we've seen from both samples, albeit a much larger one at corner. I'm surprised though that we're starting Gregory over Chung. IMO that guy sucks, he's taken 2 of the worst angles I've seen ever, Brandon Meriweather included, against the Colts and then this week against the 49ers. He doesn't contribute much in the passing game either, and is a worse tackler than Chung. I don't get that decision at all. It probably has more to do with the fact that Gregory is here for the next 2 years while Chung will be gone, rather than performance.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we didnt have to break the bank (unlikely) to sign a WR like Bowe, you think we do it? I doubt it, but it would be nice.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If we didnt have to break the bank (unlikely) to sign a WR like Bowe, you think we do it? I doubt it, but it would be nice.
Not worth it even if it was a $7 million a year deal. We're scoring 35 points a game, and put up 34 on a defense that hadn't given up that many points in over 2 seasons without our best player. Adding Bowe just complicates things as Brady would have another guy he felt obligated to get the ball to regardless of chemistry or situation a la Ochocinco or Lloyd earlier in the season. I'd like for us to go after a guy like Cullen Jenkins for that same kind of money. I think it'd have a more tangible result on wins.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Greg Jennings is a guy I could see BB go after, but it would all depend on health and price.

Cullen Jenkins could be a real nice pickup. I really think a guy to play 3 technique could be the top priority. Wilfork just looks so much more dominant when over the nose, even though he has played well at 3 technique most of the time

Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Not worth it even if it was a $7 million a year deal. We're scoring 35 points a game, and put up 34 on a defense that hadn't given up that many points in over 2 seasons without our best player. Adding Bowe just complicates things as Brady would have another guy he felt obligated to get the ball to regardless of chemistry or situation a la Ochocinco or Lloyd earlier in the season. I'd like for us to go after a guy like Cullen Jenkins for that same kind of money. I think it'd have a more tangible result on wins.
Yes but chances are were not keeping Welker, Lloyd hasnt been what we thought hed be, Edelmen may be gone. We need a WR and I'd rather go after someone in FA then trust BB to draft one.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Yes but chances are were not keeping Welker, Lloyd hasnt been what we thought hed be, Edelmen may be gone. We need a WR and I'd rather go after someone in FA then trust BB to draft one.
Lloyd had a slow start but how many people at the start of the season would have taken somewhere in the range of 75/1000/5 TDs? I'd have been happy with that

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well even minus Edelman and Welker we're adding 2 new pieces next season already with Ballard and Demps. I think it's going to be a high priority of the team to keep Edelman around, and with the promise that Welker will be gone he might just be willing to stay provided somebody doesn't offer him more than he's worth.

That would give us 2 agility slot guys in Hernandez and Edelman, 3 big TE's in Fells, Ballard, and Gronk, a classic outside receiver in Lloyd, and 2 developing speed backs who can split out at WR in Vereen and Demps. I've always wanted a #1 since Moss left, but I think with the group above we can make it work.

I actually think Josh Cribbs may be a good option if we go the free agent receiver route. He's kind of cut from the same cloth as Demps, and provides the 3 things we need from our receiver core that we don't have: size, speed, and return ability. Couple that with the fact that he doesn't need many touches to be effective and I think he'd be a perfect fit. Ideally you already have 2 90 catch type guys on offense already at the TE spot, Lloyd who will add another 60-70, and the new slot guy. I just don't see room for a guy like Bowe with or without the huge salary he's bound to make.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I guess the 49ers posters here brought their friends.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Eh whatever, it wasn't them it would be another fan base. Happens every year. Were lucky that we havent had a large majority of idiot patriot fans flow into these parts, considering how easy it is to find them. I probably teeter on that line, only difference being that I am relatively pessimistic in regards to judging this team.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Yeah, we're pretty awesome.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Yeah, we're pretty awesome.
lmao

Not that I disagree, of course.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote