Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 PM    (permalink
HypocrisyIsGreat
Rookie

HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Wait a minute...is this another one of those "49er Player A is better than Other Player B" threads?
You really believe Welker is a more skilled football player than Michael Crabtree?
Hahahahahahahahaha
HypocrisyIsGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM    (permalink
HypocrisyIsGreat
Rookie

HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat HypocrisyIsGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Welker is not easily replaceable by guys like Branch and Edelman, but he's nowhere near the best slot receiver ever.
Yes he is.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I still would argue the weakest position group during the Brady era has been the WRs.
Weakest on an overall strong and balanced team, meaning they've always had pretty decent receivers. Their secondary and running game are also just as arguable for the designation, but it's not really important because they've all been productive. I really think their secondary has been worse than their receivers lately, but I also remember that it seems like every year draftniks wanted the Pats to draft a no. 1 wideout and it never happens, and I suspect that contributes to the perception that they lack talent at the position.

Basically, I think you see Bill Belichick wanting to have certain skillsets in his receiving corps and seeks the ones that fit what he likes to do, so maybe his players aren't as valuable to someone else as they are to him. His receivers have to do their jobs in order to be a league-leading passing offense, but call it a weakness if you like, I guess. I may not like Wes Welker as an All-Pro pick, but he's certainly not one of his team's weak points, and while aside from Randy Moss most of the Pats other receivers have been rather anonymous we'd never be talking about Tom Brady there hadn't been receivers who could get open and make clutch catches in critical moments.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypocrisyIsGreat View Post
Pretty obvious they have a fast paced up tempo scheme and an all world QB who inflates these players stats.

Wes Welker kind of is a joke. Put him on a run first team like the 49ers and tell me how he'd fare. Deion Branch and Julian Edelman could do what he does.

Kaepernick only had 215 yards but on 25 attempts making that a YPA of 8.6. Brady had 440+ yards on 65 throws making that a YPA of 6.8.

Put a Michael Crabtree on the Patriots and he'd destroy Welker's output.
Ok so I'll reply to these points;

First of all, every team runs some version of the no huddle. Only recently in the past few years (after Belichick had a conversation with Chip Kelly) did they really start to emphasise speed and tempo throughout the entire game. Welker had huge seasons before the Pats employed this strategy, as did guys like Randy Moss, Corey Dillon etc. But I suppose those skill players were terrible also?

Secondly, every player fits better in certain systems. Put Michael Crabtree in a system where he is asked to simply run vertical and it won't benefit him either.

Thirdly, the Pats defense isn't exactly elite. The 49ers defense is. Brady also isn't a threat to run the ball and when both Vereen and Ridley fumbled they were benched. That left a running game of Danny Woodhead, oh and by the way, they were also 28 points behind. Of course he is going to pass loads and the 49ers knew it and therefore gave him the underneath stuff most of the day.

The Pats defended the run with 10 men because one defender was constantly going after Kaep to prevent QB keepers. That meant they had to play a safety in the box pretty much all game. Any decent QB is going to make a few big plays against that front. It was the Pats gameplan just expecting they would make more, and without turning the ball over so much they would have.

So bringing up ypa in one game from two different teams, with differing systems against differing defenses just doesn't wow me as a stat...sorry about that

And lastly, no he likely wouldn't. The Pats offense is built on being methodical and exploiting matchups in the middle of the field. Quite often they use their outside WRs as decoys to occupy at least one safety. Only since Gronkowski has been hurt has Brandon Lloyd's value and targets gone up and that is because without Gronk defenses can bracket Welker and Hernandez inside forcing Brady to go outside. The NFL isn't all simpl about talent. Try looking at certain systems before making comments like this. Crabtree is someone I would love the Pats to have but for it to be worthwhile for both they would need to change their offensive system.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Tom Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings, and not one of them came when Wes Welker was on the team.

That has nothing to do with why Welker isn't even a Top 30 current NFL receiver...it's just to discredit the whole, "Tom Brady didn't get to be one of the greatest and a 1st ballot HOFer without throwing to somebody" argument.

There was a time when people were hyping up David Givens and Deion Branch on the free agent market. The teams who bought into it (Titans and Seahawks) got burned.

Now...Current Receivers Better than Welker (not in a particular order):

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Andre Johnson
3. Julio Jones
4. Roddy White
5. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Steve Smith
7. Miles Austin
8. Dez Bryant
9. Mike Wallace
10. Vincent Jackson
11. Brandon Marshall
12. Michael Crabtree
13. Stevie Johnson
14. Demaryius Thomas
15. Hakeem Nicks
16. Victor Cruz
17. DeSean Jackson
18. A.J. Green
19. Reggie Wayne
20. Pierre Garcon
21. Santana Moss
22. Anquan Boldin
23. Torrey Smith
24. Randy Moss (I don't care what anyone says, he can still do it if given half a chance)
25. Percy Harvin
26. Sidney Rice
27. Kenny Britt
28. Greg Jennings
29. Jordy Nelson
30. Randall Cobb
31. Marques Colston
32. Dwayne Bowe
33. Brandon Lloyd
34. Santonio Holmes
35. Jeremy Maclin

Probably missing some others as well. I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt over Amendola.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Tom Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings, and not one of them came when Wes Welker was on the team.
Crappy argument is crappy. That's the same as me saying:

The 49ers won 5 SBs without their current defense. Thus, their defense stinks. It's just plain dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its about god damn time people realized Tom Brady is the best and has never had any help what so ever to work with. Was getting real tired of everyones ********.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dis gon b gud...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:23 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This again?

Wes Welker isnít garbage and, in most cases, isnít overrated. Thereís more to being a wide receiver than being a jaw-dropping athlete. Being a more athletic receiver doesnít equate to being a better receiver. The NFL doesnít work like that. This isnít pick-up football. Thereís a lot that goes into being a productive wide receiver. In the past two decades, weíve seen a lot of freaks come through the pipelines. In that same time span, only two rookie receivers have surpassed the 1,000-yard benchmark. It takes more than measurables to dominate. It demands meticulous attention to detail, coverage recognition, spatial awareness, polished fundamentals, etc.

Being bigger, stronger, faster isnít the sole decider. Isolate the receiver, evaluate his traits. I donít care about their explosiveness if their release is reluctant. I donít care about their deep speed if the scheme doesnít ask them to run those routes. I donít care about their vertical if their ball skills are nonexistent. I donít care about their athletic potential in practice if their performance doesnít reflect that in games.

Being the best athlete in the game doesnít guarantee separation or being in the right place at the right time. Like I said in the other thread, athletic gifts donít help receivers break down defenses. A hot receiverís timed speed is irrelevant on a third-and-long where a defense is showing jailbreak blitz. It wonít help a receiver recognize the front as a false front because the last five times that defensive coordinator has dialed up that call in that situation in the offenseís half of the field while protecting his lead, the defensive end has shaded inside to create space for the rushing outside linebacker and now heís aligned in his base technique, so the route heís running is fine. Those are intangibles. And those are critical to being a receiver.

Sure, Welker has limitations. Heís not an outside, coverage-changer. But that doesnít negate his entire skill set. He makes smart sight adjustments, runs precise routes, shows underrated short-area quickness, and demonstrates reliable hands. Those qualities profile as a top-tier chain-mover and slot receiver. Which, given the gravitation toward multiple personnel groupings to exploit mismatches, is far from a worthless offensive piece. Itís got real value.

Are his numbers a little inflated due to his scheme? In all likelihood. But who cares? His skill set fits with their option route passing concepts. Two or three games from Julian Edelman over four seasons doesnít render Welker interchangeable or replaceable.

If being a better athlete is the single most important trait, explain how Chad Johnson didnít just take over Welkerís role and shatter his milestones. Or Donte Stallworth, for that matter.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
This again?

Wes Welker isnít garbage and, in most cases, isnít overrated. Thereís more to being a wide receiver than being a jaw-dropping athlete. Being a more athletic receiver doesnít equate to being a better receiver. The NFL doesnít work like that. This isnít pick-up football. Thereís a lot that goes into being a productive wide receiver. In the past two decades, weíve seen a lot of freaks come through the pipelines. In that same time span, only two rookie receivers have surpassed the 1,000-yard benchmark. It takes more than measurables to dominate. It demands meticulous attention to detail, coverage recognition, spatial awareness, polished fundamentals, etc.

Being bigger, stronger, faster isnít the sole decider. Isolate the receiver, evaluate his traits. I donít care about their explosiveness if their release is reluctant. I donít care about their deep speed if the scheme doesnít ask them to run those routes. I donít care about their vertical if their ball skills are nonexistent. I donít care about their athletic potential in practice if their performance doesnít reflect that in games.

Being the best athlete in the game doesnít guarantee separation or being in the right place at the right time. Like I said in the other thread, athletic gifts donít help receivers break down defenses. A hot receiverís timed speed is irrelevant on a third-and-long where a defense is showing jailbreak blitz. It wonít help a receiver recognize the front as a false front because the last five times that defensive coordinator has dialed up that call in that situation in the offenseís half of the field while protecting his lead, the defensive end has shaded inside to create space for the rushing outside linebacker and now heís aligned in his base technique, so the route heís running is fine. Those are intangibles. And those are critical to being a receiver.

Sure, Welker has limitations. Heís not an outside, coverage-changer. But that doesnít negate his entire skill set. He makes smart sight adjustments, runs precise routes, shows underrated short-area quickness, and demonstrates reliable hands. Those qualities profile as a top-tier chain-mover and slot receiver. Which, given the gravitation toward multiple personnel groupings to exploit mismatches, is far from a worthless offensive piece. Itís got real value.

Are his numbers a little inflated due to his scheme? In all likelihood. But who cares? His skill set fits with their option route passing concepts. Two or three games from Julian Edelman over four seasons doesnít render Welker interchangeable or replaceable.

If being a better athlete is the single most important trait, explain how Chad Johnson didnít just take over Welkerís role and shatter his milestones. Or Donte Stallworth, for that matter.
Pretty much sums it all up. Although in regards to Welker I don't think anymore we can add reliable hands as a positive. I could be wrong but he may well lead the league, or be very close, in drops and against Houston I believe he had 4 or 5 drops in that one game

Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 AM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This again?

Wes Welker isn’t garbage and, in most cases, isn’t overrated. There’s more to being a wide receiver than being a jaw-dropping athlete. Being a more athletic receiver doesn’t equate to being a better receiver. The NFL doesn’t work like that. This isn’t pick-up football. There’s a lot that goes into being a productive wide receiver. In the past two decades, we’ve seen a lot of freaks come through the pipelines. In that same time span, only two rookie receivers have surpassed the 1,000-yard benchmark. It takes more than measurables to dominate. It demands meticulous attention to detail, coverage recognition, spatial awareness, polished fundamentals, etc.

Being bigger, stronger, faster isn’t the sole decider. Isolate the receiver, evaluate his traits. I don’t care about their explosiveness if their release is reluctant. I don’t care about their deep speed if the scheme doesn’t ask them to run those routes. I don’t care about their vertical if their ball skills are nonexistent. I don’t care about their athletic potential in practice if their performance doesn’t reflect that in games.

Being the best athlete in the game doesn’t guarantee separation or being in the right place at the right time. Like I said in the other thread, athletic gifts don’t help receivers break down defenses. A hot receiver’s timed speed is irrelevant on a third-and-long where a defense is showing jailbreak blitz. It won’t help a receiver recognize the front as a false front because the last five times that defensive coordinator has dialed up that call in that situation in the offense’s half of the field while protecting his lead, the defensive end has shaded inside to create space for the rushing outside linebacker and now he’s aligned in his base technique, so the route he’s running is fine. Those are intangibles. And those are critical to being a receiver.

Sure, Welker has limitations. He’s not an outside, coverage-changer. But that doesn’t negate his entire skill set. He makes smart sight adjustments, runs precise routes, shows underrated short-area quickness, and demonstrates reliable hands. Those qualities profile as a top-tier chain-mover and slot receiver. Which, given the gravitation toward multiple personnel groupings to exploit mismatches, is far from a worthless offensive piece. It’s got real value.

Are his numbers a little inflated due to his scheme? In all likelihood. But who cares? His skill set fits with their option route passing concepts. Two or three games from Julian Edelman over four seasons doesn’t render Welker interchangeable or replaceable.

If being a better athlete is the single most important trait, explain how Chad Johnson didn’t just take over Welker’s role and shatter his milestones. Or Donte Stallworth, for that matter.
yes and all the while possessing the ability to drop potentially super bowl winning throws in the most dire of circumstances
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and just to touch base with the initial argument, how significantly better do the patriots become if they swap receivers with SF? wes welker, brandon lloyd, and deion branch for crabtree, moss, manningham, and kyle williams. with of the utmost ease, crabtree becomes a 1000+ yard receiver while eclipsing 10 td's for the first time in his career. manningham (under the premise that he is healthy) also surpasses his career high in yards set with the giants (944). moreover, kyle williams statistics manifest somewhere in the 700 yard 3-4 touch down range. this notion is without a doubt plausible, given each player's upside and brady's abilities
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Psssh, insert any player on this offense and they immediately become 100 catches, 1000 yards, 10 TD type receivers. Thats a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Psssh, insert any player on this offense and they immediately become 100 catches, 1000 yards, 10 TD type receivers. Thats a fact.
Exactly and when they don't it's just Belichick trolling. If BB wanted it to happen Chad Johnson could have broken every receiving record ever last year but instead he just decided to tell Brady not to throw to him because Belichick do what Belichick do

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Crappy argument is crappy. That's the same as me saying:

The 49ers won 5 SBs without their current defense. Thus, their defense stinks. It's just plain dumb.
And that's equivalent to me not being able to comprehend very basic English.

I think it was somewhere, like, here:

Quote:
That has nothing to do with why Welker isn't even a Top 30 current NFL receiver...it's just to discredit the whole, "Tom Brady didn't get to be one of the greatest and a 1st ballot HOFer without throwing to somebody" argument.
Did I not spell it out for you that I was NOT making that argument? Was this somehow unclear? Unbelievable. You should never have been allowed to pass 4th grade.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And that's equivalent to me not being able to comprehend very basic English.

I think it was somewhere, like, here:

Did I not spell it out for you that I was NOT making that argument? Was this somehow unclear? Unbelievable. You should never have been allowed to pass 4th grade.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
This again?

Wes Welker isnít garbage and, in most cases, isnít overrated. Thereís more to being a wide receiver than being a jaw-dropping athlete. Being a more athletic receiver doesnít equate to being a better receiver. The NFL doesnít work like that. This isnít pick-up football. Thereís a lot that goes into being a productive wide receiver.
Being a productive receiver doesn't equate to being a great wide receiver. There's a lot more that goes into being a great wide receiver.

Quote:
In the past two decades, weíve seen a lot of freaks come through the pipelines. In that same time span, only two rookie receivers have surpassed the 1,000-yard benchmark. It takes more than measurables to dominate. It demands meticulous attention to detail, coverage recognition, spatial awareness, polished fundamentals, etc.
It requires less and less as time goes on. The rule changes have made it so that getting open is not only expected...it's pathetic if you can't. Every receiver who enters the NFL can be "productive" if used in the right scheme.

Quote:
Just so you know, what you wrote there is utter gibberish. Seems like we have a pseudo-football intellectual on our hands. Yeesh.

Quote:
First of all, he doesn't demonstrate reliable hands at all. Over the past few years, he has dropped more passes than anyone...and he is thrown the easiest passes to catch. In his career, the average distance from the line of scrimmage in which he catches a pass is 5.3 yards.

Secondly, and more to the point - there are countless players in the NFL who match those very same descriptions you gave. Do you honestly think there's something so different about this undersized, slow, somewhat quick, feisty receiver that he at least doubles the production of so many of a similar mold before him?

And if there is...why was he doing exactly what you'd expect from someone of this mold in Miami? 67 catches for 687 yards and 1 TD. That's exactly what you'd expect out of someone like him.

Those are Curtis Duncan numbers, you know? Eric Metcalf numbers. Danny Amendola numbers.

What is it that you are trying to argue? That he has a few skills? No, duh. He made it to the NFL. I can assure you, every single player who has ever made it to the NFL is capable of doing things if it's made easy enough for him. Every receiver who makes it to the NFL can catch screen passes and get open on drag routes. And if they're not smart enough to run "option routes," they're not going to last very long in the NFL.

Remember Troy Edwards? He was a bust, now, wasn't he? Imagine if he were in Wes Welker's role. What's he missing? He was quick. He was much, much faster. He could run short patterns quite effectively. What's he missing? Is he just not a super-genius like Welker? Is he incapable of learning all the mental stuff?

Is Wes Welker just so brilliant that no other guy with similar physical makeup can do what he does in that role in the New England offense? Quick, donate the man's brain to science, he must be a genius!

Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Quote:
Are his numbers a little inflated due to his scheme? In all likelihood. But who cares?
Is that your argument? "Who cares?"

How about people who care about the sanctity of the pro football Hall of Fame? How about the people who care about players who actually deserve the recognition being the ones who get it?

This clown took an AP first-team all-pro spot (not to mention a Pro Bowl selection spot) away from 30+ more deserving players.

Quote:
His skill set fits with their option route passing concepts.
And so does Deion Branch's and Donte Stallworth's, apparently. So does Aaron Hernandez's. So does Danny Woodhead's.

Quote:
Two or three games from Julian Edelman over four seasons doesnít render Welker interchangeable or replaceable.
Yes, actually, it does. Those 2 or 3 games, if you actually watched them, demonstrated what everybody with a brain already knew - just about any receiver who makes it to the NFL can do what Welker does. All you have to do is actually watch him play and see how little he actually has to do to "produce."

This is what always happens when someone who is unimpressive puts up numbers as a result of the system he is in. The stat-obsessed fans make up intangibles and boring, imaginary attributes to defend that player's worthiness of said numbers.

We saw it with Shaun Alexander. "Well, he may be incredibly stiff, soft, and lumber through gaping holes in the most hideous and unimpressive way imaginable, but what you don't see is how PATIENT he is. His vision is just so good, that's why he's legitimately awesome. It's not just Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, and Mack Strong blasting open holes for him. Your eyes deceive you!"

We saw it with all the Denver running backs during the Shanahan era. "Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, your mom...they are all great at finding cutback lanes and keeping their shoulders square and running downhill!"

And we saw it with receivers playing under Mike Martz. "Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald run precise patterns!"

We also saw it with all the running backs catching passes on the 49ers in the 80s and 90s. "Well, Derek Loville runs good routes out of the backfield and has good hands! Same with William Floyd! Just like Roger Craig and Tom Rathman before them!"

Here's the reality of football - if the player doesn't look impressive doing it, he's probably not that good of a player.

Quote:
Because Bill Belichick didn't put them in Welker's role. They're split ends, which is where Lloyd is playing right now. I'm quite certain they can catch screen passes and run drag routes and beat linebackers. But Wes Welker has been playing that role, so they never got a chance.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I in no way was trying to diss Welker. He's an odd cat, but he does, or did, have an NFL skillset to play WR. He's just not fast and he's not big.

What I was noticing is that when you look at most HOF QBs or those most likely to reach Canton, they've had typically very good to borderline elite WRs.
Except for Elway except towards the end of his career.

It seems like before every draft Belichick has a million extra picks, and I'm surprised he hasn't been able to parlay that into building a GB/Saints level WR corps over the years.

Yes Bill knows TEs. But he doesn't know WRs.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I in no way was trying to diss Welker. He's an odd cat, but he does, or did, have an NFL skillset to play WR. He's just not fast and he's not big.

What I was noticing is that when you look at most HOF QBs or those most likely to reach Canton, they've had typically very good to borderline elite WRs.
Except for Elway except towards the end of his career.

It seems like before every draft Belichick has a million extra picks, and I'm surprised he hasn't been able to parlay that into building a GB/Saints level WR corps over the years.

Yes Bill knows TEs. But he doesn't know WRs.
I think part of that is due to the fact that he loves getting heady veterans at WR and part due to the fact that he struggles (or the scouting staff do) in finding good WRs in the draft. Really though, the only two highish WRs drafted were Chad Jackson and Taylor Price. Now Jackson was a huge disappointment but Price is going to break out any day now

Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Knock it off. I could easily shred you in every thread on your hilarious Alex Smith/Kaepernick hypocrisy and how all the ridiculous defenses/praise for Smith have been officially exposed for the silliness they were, but I have barely said anything on the subject.
Feel free. Bring quotations that show I'm the hypocrite. I'll be waiting.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you seriously going to come into every one of my threads and ask people if they're "seriously arguing with me?"

Knock it off. I could easily shred you in every thread on your hilarious Alex Smith/Kaepernick hypocrisy and how all the ridiculous defenses/praise for Smith have been officially exposed for the silliness they were, but I have barely said anything on the subject.

Now, back on topic - Danny Amendola has 57 catches in 9 games this year, and had 85 in 2010. What makes Welker any better than him? Remember, Welker only managed 67-687-1 when he was on the Dolphins in 2006. Like Welker in his Dolphins days, Amendola is on a lousy team...and, more importantly, a lousy team that isn't the New England Patriots.
Well Welker can stay healthy so that is a big thing...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If someone legitimately believes that Brandon "I must jump unnecessarily and fall to the ground for every pass to make it look more spectacular" Lloyd is a better receiver than Wes Welker, then their opinion is not worth noting.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because Bill Belichick didn't put them in Welker's role. They're split ends, which is where Lloyd is playing right now. I'm quite certain they can catch screen passes and run drag routes and beat linebackers. But Wes Welker has been playing that role, so they never got a chance.
Or maybe they are better suited to playing on the outside, while Welker is better suited to play the slot role?

Consider my Broncos. Brandon Stokely isn't an "impressive" athlete... but he's savvy enough to find the holes in the coverage, has enough quicks to make the moves needed and his chemistry with Manning allows them to easily change things up depending on circumstances. He is the right guy for the role he's asked to play. I suspect the same things could be said for Welker.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
HypocrisyIsGreat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
If someone legitimately believes that Brandon "I must jump unnecessarily and fall to the ground for every pass to make it look more spectacular" Lloyd is a better receiver than Wes Welker, then their opinion is not worth noting.
Wait, you just said that about the best acrobat receiver in the league? Oh. my. God. Please stop watching football. You're an embarrassment.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
HypocrisyIsGreat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Or maybe they are better suited to playing on the outside, while Welker is better suited to play the slot role?

Consider my Broncos. Brandon Stokely isn't an "impressive" athlete... but he's savvy enough to find the holes in the coverage, has enough quicks to make the moves needed and his chemistry with Manning allows them to easily change things up depending on circumstances. He is the right guy for the role he's asked to play. I suspect the same things could be said for Welker.
Being savvy isn't enough to put you in the top 5 of WR's in the game or the all-pro list.

Seriously, just put the inflated stats away. How would this turd do in a boring, run first offense that throws 25 times per game? Can anyone answer that?