Originally Posted by Justone2
This is how i would list the needs(in this case i have left out all expiring contracts so it could change. Goldson would be the first guy i would try and resign but for now we can't be sure he is retained)
1: Safety(logical that this goes way down when Goldson stays in that case i still think we need one with only Trent Robinson as back-up)
2: NT(We basically have none under contract for next season. Would love to resign RJF and maybe Ian Williams(Haven't seen him play much) and depending on cost let Sopoaga walk)
3: OLB(More pass rusher than cover and run stopping)
4: TE (Long Tall catcher since Celek is more of a blocker and we could use some length)
5: CB(I hope Culliver get's the starting spot and we maybe cut Rogers(in that case Cox will be the Nickle corner)as cap casualty with brown holding down the other side)
6: DE/DT(Can be very raw to groom behind Cowboy and can take his place in a few years and give him a breather since both Cowboy and McDonald play basically every snap
7: WR(Doesn't have to be a number 1 type but an speedster that can take the top of is welcome)
8: MLB(both Grant and Gooden are UFA and i can see Grant leave while Gooden is more of an ST-player)
1. If we cant re-sign Goldson, I fully expect him to be franchised. No way in hell is he going anywhere unless he gets franchised and then traded but thats highly unlikely. We have three backups at safety, Spillman, McBath and Robinson plus Thomas on the practice squad. Spillman and Robinson are signed thru 2014 and 2015 respectively.
2. Sopoaga and Jean-Francois are UFA's but I fully expect the team to re-sign Jean-Francois with Sopoaga 50/50. Depending on what happens with Sopoaga will determine what happens in the draft.
3. OLB is a must with or without Haralson. I expect them to release Haralson unless he takes a paycut with Baalke/Harbaugh finding his replacement early in the draft.
4. TE will probably be a mid round pick. I wanted Fleener last year and to trade Walker. Dont see us keeping Walker unless he takes less money than offered elsewhere.
5. CB depends on if Rogers gets released or not. I would probably release him and trade Brown if I could somehow snatch DRC in FA to matchup with Culliver. If not, extend Brown and start him opposite Culliver. Would re-sign Brock and Cox is under contract thru 2013. Draft wise, im hoping for that Mathieu (sp?) guy for a mid to late round pick. His ability to cause fumbles and turnovers is worth the risk.
6. DE isnt much of a need right now because we have Smith, McDonald and Dobbs (even though he's listed as a TE). We do need another DE to groom in case we lose Smith after 2013 but if he keeps playing like he is now, I dont see him going anywhere.
7. WR isnt a huge need. Mid round pick. We have Crabtree who's finally showing that he can be our number one receiver. Manningham has played good and will hopefully be extended because I actually like them two as the starters. Williams in the slot and Jenkins as the fourth receiver. I know Williams is coming off that ACL injury but he's a determined little guy so I see him being 100% by TC. He'll just have to take the rust off. A returner would be good to replace Ginn as I hope we dont re-sign him.
8. Would put ILB up a spot or two. Grant is 50/50 but im hoping we keep him if possible. Gooden should hopefully be re-signed. Either way, we'll definitely need another ILB.