Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I love the first three picks you got, and I'm a big Bell fan. Not sure Jordan's best spot is in the 43 but he's so versatile that I think it could work. I absolutely love Tavon Austin, probably as much as I loved TY Hilton and Alshon Jeffery last year. Talk about a playmaker, Austin reminds me somewhere between a Percy Harvin and a Dexter McCluster.

Anyone watch the Alabama/Georgia game today? three great prospects in that game, Eddie Lacy is probably a 2nd/3rd round pick, and TJ Yeldon RB and Amari Cooper WR are two monsters
I agree that Jordan will likely be labeled as a better fit in the 3-4. However, I think he has a fantastic skill set that would be desirable for any DC, especially considering how many different fronts are used today. He could easily move into the DE position on passing downs and have Long kick inside. That front 7 could be awesome if properly utilized.

When I look at Tavon Austin the first word that comes to mind is "weapon." I see him being a guy that could see 7-10 touches a game, plus return duties, and be a threat to take it to the house at any moment. We have that in the passing game with Givens, but we could definitely use more of that kind of player, especially in the return game. When was the last time we had a KR or PR for TD?

I like Bell a lot as well. I have only seen him a few times, but every time I have seen him he was putting away the other team with authority in the 2nd half. He is a very underrated back, IMO. Picking him in the 3rd round is probably a dream...but if we move out of the 1st round we would likely have another 2nd rounder to play with.

I really can't wait until we get a bit closer and the underclassmen declare. I always get more into it at that time because the pool is somewhat incomplete right now.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I'm not saying this will happen, but...

Our remaining schedule is as follows:

At Buffalo
vs Minnesota
At Tampa Bay
At Seattle

And Seattle's remaining schedule:

vs Arizona
At Buffalo
vs San Francisco
vs St.Louis

Therefore, if we win the next three and Seattle loses one, we could be playing the final game of the year for the wild card.

Now, we have a couple of other teams we would have to leapfrog: Dallas, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and possibly Washington, if they beat the Giants tomorrow night.

We play both Minnesota and Tampa Bay, so wins against those two teams would put us ahead in the standings.

Dallas finishes the season at Washington, so one of those two teams would be below us if we win out.

Dallas also plays at Cincinnati, vs Pittsburgh and vs New Orleans. Definitely a tougher schedule than ours, even though we play 3 of 4 on the road.

Washington also plays vs. Baltimore, at Cleveland and at Philadelphia. The Baltimore game is the toughest of the three, even though it is a home game. And remember, they still need to beat the Giants at home tomorrow to even be in this conversation.

Like I said, I'm not saying this will happen, but if we were to win out we have a really good chance of making the playoffs this year. Not bad from a team that was 3-6-1 a couple of weeks ago!
Hopefully we don't lay an egg like we did last time we were playing at Seattle for a playoff spot!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are a much better team now than we were then. Bradford was a rookie. We were showing flashes but it was really built on adrenaline and momentum more than talent, fundamental soundness and strong coaching. Our foundation is much stronger now than it was then.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
We are a much better team now than we were then. Bradford was a rookie. We were showing flashes but it was really built on adrenaline and momentum more than talent, fundamental soundness and strong coaching. Our foundation is much stronger now than it was then.
Oh I agree completely, but I'm just sayin
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I hear ya. Besides, we would have to win out for this to become reality anyway, so the point is probably moot. We haven't yet shown that we can put it all together on a consistent basis.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I love all this Bradford hate on this site, I get the LOLs out of it. I don't think people understand how good he's been this season, and just cuz he isnt putting up insane stats doesn't mean he's playing bad. And if I hear one more "Joe Flacco is a better Quarterback" I might kill someone.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Here's a nice article about Sam and how the passing game is gradually coming along.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/st-loui...0975--nfl.html
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...FX-Jeff-Fisher

love it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
This is awesome. You really get the feeling that Fisher knows his players, understands what motivates them and what doesn't, and you can almost feel them coming together as a team. I love the part where the assistant coach says, "I wanna put 21 back in and tell him to 'man up'" and then Jenkins comes up with the defensive touchdown.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Yeah that part was awesome, loved it
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Teams I'm pulling for this week...

New Orleans over NYG
Baltimore over Washington
Cincinnati over Dallas
Detroit over Green Bay
Chicago over Minnesota
Philadelphia over Tampa Bay
Arizona over Seattle
And, of course, St.Louis over Buffalo

Losses by Washington, Dallas and Seattle would give us control of our own destiny for the 6th seed in the playoffs:-)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Well, I wasn't able to watch the game, and it sounds like we were pretty ugly along the way, but a win is a win and I will take it. I think the one huge positive is Bradford marching his team down for the game-winning touchdown. I have been feeling like it is time for Sam to start taking games on his shoulders and start leading his team. They are clearly ready to follow.

Unfortunately, the rest of the league did not cooperate today. Baltimore let the Redskins back in it today, which was a tough one to swallow. The skins are really hot right now, and that game was our best chance to leapfrog them.

Equally upsetting was the Bengals letting the Cowboys off the hook when they clearly had them beat and their secondary was heavily injured. I'm not as worried about the Cowboys, though. Teams regularly get up for a game immediately after tragedy strikes, but then suffer a huge letdown shortly after. (See Chiefs @ Browns)

Seattle kicked the crap out of the Cardinals. Surprise surprise. The Cards have the worst offensive line in the league, and probably the worst QB's. Not a good combination.

Oh hey, look...it's snowing in Green Bay! GO LIONS!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

We're starting to see why Michael Brockers was so highly thought of by the Rams staff during the draft. He's getting better and better every week.

The D-Line looks outstanding.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We're starting to see why Michael Brockers was so highly thought of by the Rams staff during the draft. He's getting better and better every week.

The D-Line looks outstanding.
The D-Line has been the most consistent position on the team all year. Each week they've been on fire.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really starting to think the Rams need to double dip on offensive lineman early in this draft, maybe one in the first and one in the second. I'm very intrigued by a Matthews/Thomas or Warmack/Fluker combo, or whomever you want to put in. But the left guard and right tackle position need to be improved. Lots of Rams fans I've heard from seem to be clamoring for Matt Elam, and the play of Craig Dahl supports their cause.

A free agent WR who can step in on Day One and make an impact would be ideal for me over another rookie who might need time to get up to speed. Problem is, the Rams have been rather cheap when it comes to free agents the last couple of years. Finnegan was their biggest signing, and he was kind of a sure thing given the system he was coming into.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

One thing that Fisher and Snead showed us last year is that they will take the most talented player available, while always keeping within arms length of the telephone. With the talent pool very strong in defensive players this year, I see us coming away with a playmaker on that side of the ball with one of our 1st rounders. I am fully expecting us to trade down out of the 1st round with the other.

I do see us maybe drafting another weapon, but not a traditional receiver. I see us looking more at a versatile player. Someone who can return kicks, run reverses, catch passes, is deadly from anywhere on the field...TAVON AUSTIN, 2nd round. I don't see an AJ Green or Julio Jones in this draft anyway. Next years crop of receivers will be stronger.

M-A-R-Q-U-I-S-E L-E-E spells theramsnextinalonglineofgreateceivers.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I'm really starting to think the Rams need to double dip on offensive lineman early in this draft, maybe one in the first and one in the second. I'm very intrigued by a Matthews/Thomas or Warmack/Fluker combo, or whomever you want to put in. But the left guard and right tackle position need to be improved. Lots of Rams fans I've heard from seem to be clamoring for Matt Elam, and the play of Craig Dahl supports their cause.

A free agent WR who can step in on Day One and make an impact would be ideal for me over another rookie who might need time to get up to speed. Problem is, the Rams have been rather cheap when it comes to free agents the last couple of years. Finnegan was their biggest signing, and he was kind of a sure thing given the system he was coming into.
I agree with this. I love Scott's latest mock.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:34 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with this. I love Scott's latest mock.
Same, that would be a big boost to the OL.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

What do you guys think of the running back situation next year? I think Steven Jackson wants to retire a Ram, just not sure how interested the Rams are in giving him the money he wants/deserves. He may have lost a step, but he is still very productive, he'll have around 1,300-1,400 total yards by seasons end. I'm not sure if earlier in the year Coach Fisher was splitting his carries to have a strong Jackson toward the end of the season or what but in 5 of the first 8 games Steven had 12 carries or less.

If Jackson doesn't return, who do you guys have your eye on? if anyone? I don't think Daryl Richardson can handle the full load and I'm not sure what to make of Pead, we could see more of him these last two weeks knowing we only have like a 5% chance of making the playoffs. Pead was a top 50 pick so I'd guess the Rams are/were thinking he could be Steven's replacement and I don't see them spending a high draft pick on a running back unless one slips.

Guess what I'm trying to ask, if Steven leaves, are you comfortable with a Pead/Richardson backfield? Or do you want to dip into Free Agency
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Oh and another thing, seems like everyone has the Rams taking Eric Reid the safety out of LSU with one of our first rounders. I'm not sold on him yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If Jackson doesn't return, who do you guys have your eye on?
Not sure about a specific name, but because of Richardson and Pead's youth, I'd opt to add a relatively cheap veteran to that rotation, if we aren't going to find a way to retain Jackson at a reasonable cost.

Maybe I'm overvaluing the importance of experience at the position, but I'm not a huge fan of the idea of rolling with Richardson, Pead, and a rookie. I'd like some veteran leadership in there somewhere.

Quote:
Oh and another thing, seems like everyone has the Rams taking Eric Reid the safety out of LSU with one of our first rounders. I'm not sold on him yet.
Yeah, same here. Unless we're picking pretty late in the first (like, in the playoff range of picks), then Reid doesn't seem like the best value to me at this point.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:27 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

My number one back to replace Jackson in this draft is Leveon Bell from Michigan St. if he comes out. I thought he was a senior, but I see now that he is a junior. Still, I think he comes out, as, just as was the case last year with Montee Ball, I don't see how he does much to improve his draft stock by returning to school. He is a big, physical runner, light on his feet for his size, with enough burst to hit the holes before they close at the next level, IMO. I don't know that he will be a star, but I like him to be productive, especially at the goal line.

As far as Reid is concerned, I haven't seen enough of him to make the call one way or another. One thing I am certain of, though; in the Fisher/Snead regime, the Rams will continue to do what they did last year. They target specific players that they like, and do an excellent job of determining their value to the rest of the league. They were willing to take Brockers at #6, but knew he would still be there at #14, so when the trade came available they took it. Can this come back to bite you? Of course it can. But as a philosophy, over the course of time, I think it is as sound of a system as any out there.

One other thing I really like about Fisher is his ability to find the small school/unknown player in the late rounds that translates well to the NFL game. Last year as I watched the draft unfold, I remember being nervous that round after round went by without investing in an offensive lineman. But I think we found a real thumper in Watkins, and our offense, especially the run game, might have been a lot more consistent had he not been injured. And I just get the feeling that, through the first two days, they were not concerned about drafting a lineman because they felt like they already had their big guard in the bag.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Twas the end of the season
Their chances were gone
But fans had been given
New life to build on

It started last Winter
A new man in town
He brought in a sidekick
To bring them a crown

They started off quickly
A trade they would make
It brought them a future
Young players to take

Brockers and Richardson
JJ, the corner
And still, they had Bradford
The best since Kurt Warner

Then way out at midfield
The Leg, the young GZ
He'd kick it a mile
And make it look easy

They teamed with the vets
Who had been here a while
Developing chemistry
Talent and style

A style of winning,
Not seen in forever
A rallying cry
That would bring us together

"On Jackson, on Danny
On Givens and Kendricks
Get your ass in the end zone
And let's put up 6!"

Though the season did not
Go the way they'd foreseen
They made us forget
The team they had been

Yes the future looks bright
In this Midwestern city
We may not be polished
Surely, not pretty

But the plans are laid out
The foundation in place
Next year come December
We'll be in the race!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Lance Kendricks really has improved in the passing game, not nearly as many drops as he had last year. 500 yards from our Tight end? I'll take it for sure. He'll never be elite, but he's a really solid all around Tight End.

And god we need to replace Craig Dahl.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I will be going to the game next week in Seattle, and I am really looking forward to seeing how we do against the Seahawks, who are the hottest team in the NFC right now, maybe in the whole league. I haven't been able to see the Rams much this season, so it will be a nice treat for me.

More than anything, I am looking forward to seeing how Bradford handles the hostile environment in Seattle. The last several games I have sensed that Sam is starting to take his team under his wing and be their leader. It's time to go into a rival's house and take the game over, make big plays and wise decisions, and end the season with no questions as to what the future of this team holds.

At safety, I kind of like this Duke Williams kid from Nevada. He's is a sure tackler, not flashy, but plays in position well and plays hard. 3rd round?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4d2UqRpLA

A couple of free agents that I wouldn't mind seeing here are Willam Moore (Atlanta) and Louis Delmas (Detroit). I don't know where they stand with their current teams. You know that Snead knows all about Moore from his time in Atlanta. Yesterday the commentators were talking about Detroit having a whole bundle of free agents at the end of this season. Total speculation on my part; just throwing possibilities out there. I do think either one would bring a serious upgrade to our secondary. We have great coaching on our defense, and the proof is in the pudding. There are still some key spots where we are lacking in talent. I think safety is our number one hole on the defensive side of the ball.
Closed Thread