Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Sorry I don't buy that. Tebow was one of the best college QBs running that offense. I just don't see how Griffin and Newton were not scrutinized like Tebow was. When Tebow was coming out three years ago people were saying that the spread option attack was not a viable offense yet over the past couple years more and more teams are implementing these concepts into their schemes. I am not talking about that dumbed down offense the Broncos ran last year because they lacked any type of ingenuity or innovation on how to build the offense around Tebow and instead set him up for failure week after week.

I do agree 100% he could be a running back but all the "experts" have been saying that he needs to be an H-Back, TE or Fullback - the reasoning for that is obvious yet no one wants to come out and say it.
In the first half, I thought Tebow consistently misread his keys on option plays. (Though this was only having viewed it once; a second view of the tape often reveals many things.) Oklahoma's defense seemed to be designed to take away the running backs and let him keep it. Maybe he just wasn't used to that kind of strategy, but when they ran the inside veer he kept giving it to the running back who would then be crushed by the man he was reading, and similarly on the speed or outside two-man option plays, the defense keyed almost exclusively on the running backs but Tebow kept pitching it. In the second-half, of course, Tebow kept the ball far more often and gashed the OU defense. (The announcers incorrectly said that in the second half the coaches were "calling Tebow's number," though they might have told him to keep the ball more on his options.) After Tebow kept it a few times, when he did let the runningback keep it, someone like Harvin had more room to then romp for big gains.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...s-edition.html

Thing was, even when he mis-read it at Florida (on a keep), he could just slam it up inside for 3-4 yards a pop.

From what I've seen of him, he has consistently been pretty bad at the read option in the NFL too. /shrug

He is/was pretty good at the pitch option stuff (Speed Option and the Inside Shovel Option), but that's a more direct, in-your-face read.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR

Last edited by y.f.s. : 12-23-2012 at 05:58 PM.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Don't buy that? Tebow can never ever be a starting QB in the NFL. He can be put in there somewhere, 3rd down back could be a nice attempt, but an team that brings him in to play QB will fail and bring about any unnecessary QB controversy
I just don't buy this anymore. Say what you want about how he looked, but the Broncos replaced Orton with him and it turned the entire season around. I still don't know how all that happened, but you can't discount that. Tebow does not play the game like any other QB, but you can't argue that the way he has played hasn't been successful.

Jacksonville fans are flipping their **** right now. They want no part if it. But come on! Blaine Gabbert showed very little progression, Henne is not the future, and after Kansas City picks a QB at one, there isn't a QB worthy of the second pick. So bring in Tebow, it can't be any worse than this season. I see this as a very low risk/high reward move.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I just don't buy this anymore. Say what you want about how he looked, but the Broncos replaced Orton with him and it turned the entire season around. I still don't know how all that happened, but you can't discount that. Tebow does not play the game like any other QB, but you can't argue that the way he has played hasn't been successful.

Jacksonville fans are flipping their **** right now. They want no part if it. But come on! Blaine Gabbert showed very little progression, Henne is not the future, and after Kansas City picks a QB at one, there isn't a QB worthy of the second pick. So bring in Tebow, it can't be any worse than this season. I see this as a very low risk/high reward move.
Aaron Murray, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Zac Dysert, and Ryan Nassib would all be much better options than Tebow. You could get a few of those with the first pick of the second round. So don't tell me you HAVE to take Tebow just because they can't get Geno Smith. And just because Tebow "can't be any worse than this season" is horrendous logic. You're saying that instead of striving to get better, you just want to try your luck with another awful QB.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's not pretend for a second that bringing Tebow in is strictly a football move. Its a publicity move for a team struggling to do anything right and more importantly, its about the money he'd generate for that organization.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Aaron Murray, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Zac Dysert, and Ryan Nassib would all be much better options than Tebow. You could get a few of those with the first pick of the second round. So don't tell me you HAVE to take Tebow just because they can't get Geno Smith. And just because Tebow "can't be any worse than this season" is horrendous logic. You're saying that instead of striving to get better, you just want to try your luck with another awful QB.
If by 'awful' you mean, 'a winner who takes teams to the playoffs', then yes, Tebow is awful.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
A couple things: first, Aaron Murray sucks. Second, there is no guarantee that those guys will be around when your pick comes up in the second round. Lastly, you say Tebow is an awful QB, but look at his track record in the NFL. He took over a team that had lost something like 20 of their last 25 games and he led them to a Division Title and a playoff win. Like I said, I have no idea how it happened, but it did. The Jags would have been much better this year with Tebow under center this year. I just find it funny that guys like RGIII, Kaep, and Cam Newton can play a different style of QB and people love them but Tebow plays a different style of QB with similar team success and everybody says he can't play.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People hate on tebow to much around and its ridiculous stupid. What happens if starts in Jacksonville and does well?Then it becomes a great football move for that team and city. Watch him play in Jacksonville/start before you judge on how well he will do.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tebow would do nothing but steal the headlines and take snaps away from the Jags other QB's IE Geno or Tyler Wilson. It'd stunt their growth. Tebow was an upgrade over Kyle Orton. big whoop. He can't pass. He's a gimmick. I don't know why people think that was more than a fluke. He couldn't beat out Sanchez. Let that soak in. The Jets, DESPERATE for an offensive spark and QB are going to move on from him. They're a team that needs a franchise guy to move them to the playoffs, and they're gonna let him go. What makes you think he'll be better in Jacksonville?

He had a career completion percentage UNDER 50%!!! that's abysmal.

but i guess is SP's gonna use the "wins gamezzz" argument, we might as well bring Vince Young back, right? He can run and throw at a horrible completion rate and "isn't used right". Might as well give him a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
People hate on tebow to much around and its ridiculous stupid. What happens if starts in Jacksonville and does well?Then it becomes a great football move for that team and city. Watch him play in Jacksonville/start before you judge on how well he will do.
hate? no. it's more that if he weren't Jesus Tebow college superstar media darling whatever, then this wouldn't be happening. No other QB could post those numbers and have people all up on his dick saying he should start and isn't being given a fair chance. None.

But this is tebow. Let the knob slobbering commence.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
If by 'awful' you mean, 'a winner who takes teams to the playoffs', then yes, Tebow is awful.
You just described Vince Young.

Jaguars should just sign both of them. Dunno how they'd lose a game with the two greatest winnarz of all time.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jags are going to sign Tebow so they have an excuse to hold onto Gabbert and hope he improves again...and he did get over the whole giant gaping vagina thing in one summer...so maybe there's some reason for hope there.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Tebow would do nothing but steal the headlines and take snaps away from the Jags other QB's IE Geno or Tyler Wilson. It'd stunt their growth. Tebow was an upgrade over Kyle Orton. big whoop. He can't pass. He's a gimmick. I don't know why people think that was more than a fluke. He couldn't beat out Sanchez. Let that soak in. The Jets, DESPERATE for an offensive spark and QB are going to move on from him. They're a team that needs a franchise guy to move them to the playoffs, and they're gonna let him go. What makes you think he'll be better in Jacksonville?

He had a career completion percentage UNDER 50%!!! that's abysmal.

but i guess is SP's gonna use the "wins gamezzz" argument, we might as well bring Vince Young back, right? He can run and throw at a horrible completion rate and "isn't used right". Might as well give him a shot.
I think they see what they have with Tebow and Gabbert. If this time next year they have a top 3 pick then they know it didn't work and they draft a Johnny Manziel.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
You just described Vince Young.

Jaguars should just sign both of them. Dunno how they'd lose a game with the two greatest winnarz of all time.
bro, you takin my Vince Young reference? Do u even read?
Quote:
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sorry I don't buy that. Tebow was one of the best college QBs running that offense. against college defenses that were inferior across the board to his teams talent, players were slower, and schemes were simpler, but anyway continue. I just don't see how Griffin and Newton were not scrutinized like Tebow was. easy, they can pass and complete basic passes on a consistent basis. When Tebow was coming out three years ago people were saying that the spread option attack was not a viable offense yet over the past couple years more and more teams are implementing these concepts into their schemes. i agree, the concept does work somewhat. HOWEVER, the teams that are making it work have speed at QB. those qbs are also real passing threats, unlike TT. but the biggest knock ive heard consistently against the read spread is that qbs will take a pounding. Tebow broke ribs this year doing it part time, would you really want to invest in him and that style of offense knowing hes not going to make it the whole year?

I am not talking about that dumbed down offense the Broncos ran last year because they lacked any type of ingenuity or innovation on how to build the offense around Tebow and instead set him up for failure week after week.

WOAH. HALT. That dumbed down offense? why do you think it was dumbed down? uhhhhhhh TEBOW! oh **** glad we were able to put that together. lacked ingenuity? what the **** did you want them to do exactly? in their dumbed down super simple offense, tebow still struggled to complete HALF his passes!! HALF! and these werent difficult, way-harder-than-anyone-else-has-to-attempt passes. The broncos WERE innovative with how they used him and let him run and gave him easy things to do so that he could hopefully execute the offense within his limited albeit unique skill set.
I dont hate tebow, not at all. id love to see him make it work, always rooting for the blue collar never quit type. but lets not let that blur the fact that as a passer hes far below average. Tim Tebow may be able to succeed in the NFL on a regular basis, but in order for that to even have an outside shot at happening he needs a few things:

1) learn to pass. seriously. He needs to be able to consistently hit basic passes if his reciever is open and make coverage reads at an average level. Far too often he misses open guys on a smash or skips one to a guy on a crossing route. if the guy is open, the ball needs to get there. if its a tight window then fine that really doesnt have to be his gig and is probably something he'll never be able to do on a consistent basis. but he needs to be a minimum of average passer either by skill improvement or by offensive design in order to become a super bowl caliber QB.

2) commitment. not from him, but from a coach. he needs a coach who is willing to be creative and run an unorthodox offense and take a lot of media criticism after any failures and losses. because everytime they lose, the storm will start about how 'this offense isnt for the pros' and 'tebow just cant get it done.' no coach wants to deal with that crap. most offenses are very similar in plays and design, using a mesh of every style of offense. so when one is way different (and TT's O would need to be unique like his skill set) it brings attention and people will look to pull it apart.

this coach also needs to bring in mobile backups who have a similar skill set. as ive pointed out before, tebow was hurt this year and was dinged up last year too. as much as VY is being brought up jokingly, hed be the perfect backup. The coach needs to be similarly committed to this style of offense.

And their in lies the problem. No coach is willing to take that chance and put their rep on the line. why take such a big proffessional risk when the new coach can do what he knows, build a pro style offense that hes likely been around for years and do it his way?

in reality, the jets were the perfect fit professionally for Tebow. Ryan is a D guy, he doesnt get too involved in the O, leaving the door open for a guy to get a little crazy with a tebow experiment. enter sporano, a guy who wanted to try to get tebow doing what he had ronnie brown doing years ago, especially so because if he proved he could get Tebow going hed get looks again to be a HC. Ryan wants a pounding O and a special offense designed around and committed to Tebows style would provide that.

They got a good look at Tebow.
They needed playmakers in the worst way.
And they still said no thanks.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This report was complete horseshit.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard a drop of sweat from RGIII's braids can cure cancer.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote