Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dammit because i still really love C-Web
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd sign Boothe to backup money. I want to replace both of our OGs, so if we can upgrade I'd prefer that. Especially since Beatty isn't a great run blocker, having a pulling G who can make up for him will definitely help our run game.

I prefer a defender early in the draft, I want to spend our first 2 draft picks on defense, but if OG or RT is bpa by a good margin, then I'm ok with that.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see us clean house on defense. No one is afraid of job security, and that's part of the problem. We need to shake things up a little and change the culture with some new blood.

I think Kenny is a must re-sign. Our secondary is 10 billion times better when he's back there. That is obvious now. He won't be an expensive re-sign bc of his injury history, I think this should be the only priority re-sign on defense.

Joseph, only for the right price. Sorry, but 2 down run stuffers who offer no pass rush at all aren't a priority to me, even with our severe lack of depth at DT. You don't sign someone to a bad contract just bc you feel you have to. Sign him to the right deal, or let him walk.

This is a transition year. We're gonna have some holes at the start of the season, we won't be able to address everything. So it's important we keep the front 4 on defense at a high level to mask some other deficiencies, and we address the OL on offense.

I think we take care of the trenches first, ideally, unless bpa dictates otherwise.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Fewell's contract up at the end of this year?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Is Fewell's contract up at the end of this year?
Oh I hope so if we don't fire him, which I doubt. Sadly, that fool will be back. KP knee is an issue. That knee they said is degenerative, so I am not sure I want to extend the guy if that knee is going to get progressively worse. Can we sign him for cheap? And it will have to be especially if he going to miss games with that knee.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It sounds like this is indeed Fewell's last season under his contract. If that's the case we don't even have to fire him we can just let him walk.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Boothe isn't going to be cheap, I'd rather spend a little more for a good guard such as Andy Levitre (Buffalo).

If we could get Levitre and resign Beatty, the left side of our line is set for some time.
I have a tough time seeing Buffalo let Andy go, but if we could get him that'd be glorious.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, if there isn't a good defensive player on the board or there happens to be a really good O-Line player who falls in the draft I have no problem if we draft them.

I'd prefer to go defense early and often, but obviously if there is a BPA who fits a relative need I have no problems going that route too.

If Boothe can be retained relatively cheaply, I have no issues with him being a starter for a year or two. If we do address it in the draft, he'll make a great back up.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carrying this over from a conversation on BBI, but do you ever think Coughlin would consider a new DC who would want to play 3-4? If there was ever a year to switch defenses it would be going into next year. It would help if we had a strong secondary to help make the transition smoother, but we're not really good anywhere on defense right now. And now that I got BBD hard, I'll slowly walk away.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Our best defensive player would be limited in a 3-4. Keep the 4-3. The base defense also doesn't really matter as much now anyway because every team gives multiple looks. The proliferation of the passing game in the NFL also takes LB's off the field more and more for DB's. In the end I'd keep the 4-3.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Our best defensive player would be limited in a 3-4. Keep the 4-3. The base defense also doesn't really matter as much now anyway because every team gives multiple looks. The proliferation of the passing game in the NFL also takes LB's off the field more and more for DB's. In the end I'd keep the 4-3.
I'm assuming you are speaking about JPP. Sadly our best defensive play this year has been Stevie Brown. Genreal consensus to me is that everyone thinks JPP needs to cut weight again. If he did that I think he could be a 3-4 outside backer. He'd have to play in space a little more but he's certainly athletic enough.

Everyone says we can't do it because we don't have the linebackers. Well we don't have the linebackers for what we are doing now either. A switch to a 3-4 might help Kiwi. A little less to do coverage wise and a little more pure rushing. Tuck might hold up his worth a little more a 3-4 DE not asked to get to the QB which he isn't doing anyway.

The one guy who it would totally make useless is Williams.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Stevie Brown has gotten a good deal of TO's this year but he hasn't really been all that good.

JPP is clearly the player we have to build our future defensive front around. It's dumb as hell to stick him in a 3-4 defense. LB's aren't as important in today's game anyway so I want to limit that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offensively I think we are in fairly good shape, ideally we need to resign some skill positions and overhaul the OL.

Defensively we need a major overhaul. Firstly, I'd like to see us keep the 4-3 but completely change the schemes with a new DC. If I had my choice, I think I'd prefer Ron Rivera (if he gets the axe in Carolina), the guy has experience with quite a lot of systems (and currently using the 4-3 Fox implemented).
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not sure I want to build around one player. If a good DC comes and he is creative, then I'd make the change. I know we won 2 SB, but 5th DC in a 43 system is very frustrating. I mean if we can find an aggressive 43 DC, then hire him. But I can't stand these let's put all our eggs in the pass rush basket and pray for the best. Get someone creative in his blitz packages. Mix up with show in tell & bait and blast ways of disguising blitzes.

If possible stick to a 43, then if a good to great DC wants to change the system then fine.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, just makes more sense to stick with the 3-4. As BBD said, whether you use 4-3 or 3-4 doesn't really matter. It's all about the players you do have and how you utilize them.

I truly believe it's easier to draft for the 4-3 anyway. It's harder to find that massive nose tackle who can be productive. It can be very difficult to find the tweener DE's who are able to covert to the 3-4 OLB. Then you need big and stout ILB's which is becoming harder to find too. Then you need really big DE's too which can also be difficult as they typically have to make a conversion too.

And for the record, we've had more guys run a cover 2 defense than 4-3 defense, NYG. That's the main issue. Coughlin clearly prefers cover 2 guys. The one legitimate 4-3 defense we've used was with Spags and that was superb.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need to draft khaseem. that is all
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

This Rutgers offense is painful to watch! Great defense and only 10 freaking nothing. Come on now!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Nova! You are sooo bad! This offense is so pathetic! 10 points only and now the game is tied. Stupid team is in a dog fight now.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
we need to draft khaseem. that is all
I want him soooo bad. Him and JWill opposite each other would be straight sex

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=461853

This is a good thread.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Nice list thanks NYG

Checking out Terrell Thomas' contract (from rotoworld)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoworld.com
3/13/2012: Signed a four-year, $17.4 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $1 million signing bonus. Another $11 million is available through incentives based on playing time and interceptions. 2012: $1 million, 2013: $750,000 (+ $6 million option bonus + $1.5 million roster bonus), 2014: $3.8 million, 2015: $4.75 million, 2016: Free Agent
So it looks like Terrell Thomas has a $6 million option bonus and $1.5 million roster bonus this offseason.

Presumably the bonuses are factored into the cap, so does this mean if we let Terrell go we gain $8.25 million in cap room ($6 million option bonus + $1.5 million roster bonus + $750k base salary)?
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I would be open to a 3-4 defense but what's limiting our ability to switch is the fact that JPP is strictly a 4-3 DE. You don't switch schemes on a guy like that. He's gonna be a stud once he drops 10 lbs again, and plays his natural RE position. I'm not changing the scheme just to change it. There are plenty of good coordinators who run a 4-3.

As for blitz packages, it doesn't matter whether you run a 4-3 or 3-4, I can cook up the same blitz for both fronts, disguise them the same exact way, and confuse qbs the same exact way. The formation doesn't mean ****. It's just a formation. How you attack gaps with your blitz packages does not depend on the formation, you can attack gaps the same way in a 4-3 and 3-4.

Most 3-4 defenses nowadays are 1 gap anyway, which are essentially 4-3 defenses with 1 DLmen standing up. It's all the same ****. We just need an aggressive coordinator who plays man coverage and brings pressure 40% of the time.

I like Mike Pettine for this role. He would run the scheme I would like. Spags is another. We have options. There are plenty of guys out there.

I want a coordinator who emphasizes fundamentals like tackling, runs a pressure based scheme, and I want us to go out and retool the defense with guys who have exceptional tackling skills. Because I feel that good tacklers in college translate those skills to the NFL. Tackling isn't really taught in the NFL so those skills have to translate from the college level for the most part.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

You have to root for a lot of coaches to get fired on Black Monday for 2 reasons:

1. It opens up more opportunities for Perry Fewell to get a HC gig somewhere so we can move on from him.

2. It opens up more candidates who can potentially replace Fewell. Remember, while many of these HCs were poor, they also were very good coordinators.

If we ever lose Kevin Gilbride for whatever reason, Chan Gailey would be #1 on my list to replace him bc he runs a lot of the same Run N Shoot concepts that Gilbride runs.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chan Gailey would be an awesome OC here, but I don't see Killdrive leaving unless we have an abismal performance today on offense. As for Perry, his contract is up and I see no reason to bring him back if we see someone else out there that we like more. Hopefully at least one of them, if not both, are gone next year

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Oh I know, we'll never let go of Gilbride, nor should we. But if he decides to become a college HC or whatever, then Gailey would be my ideal replacement. Just throwing it out there. I fully expect Gilbride to be back next year.

Gilbride is a good OC. He's not a problem on our team. It's Fewell.