Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How much time should I spend studying for the GRE?

I just graduated from Western Connecticut State University with a degree in English Lit, and I'm hoping to begin some graduate school applications soon for a degree in Education (Secondary Education English, or Curriculum & Instruction, or whatever the equivalent by school is.) For most programs, I'm going to need to take the GRE, so I've purchased the "Cracking the GRE" book and plan on filling out everything in there. I'm just wondering how far down the road I should schedule the GRE for.

Will I be able to study this book for a month and perform well? I graduated with a fairly high GPA (3.86) and I'm trying to get into some top-50 schools, preferably with some sort of scholarship/financial aid, but I assume I'll need to perform well on the GRE to be considered. Should I place more emphasis on the verbal sections as opposed to the math, or are they all valued equally? How many graduate schools should I be applying to?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What kind of score do you need/want? What are you hitting on practice tests? I have no idea how long you need to study if you can't provide a goal and current status. FWIW, the extent of my studying for the GMAT was 3 practice tests....I consistently destroyed the score I knew I needed and didn't want to waste unnecessary time.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
What kind of score do you need/want? What are you hitting on practice tests? I have no idea how long you need to study if you can't provide a goal and current status. FWIW, the extent of my studying for the GMAT was 3 practice tests....I consistently destroyed the score I knew I needed and didn't want to waste unnecessary time.
Honestly, I have no idea what GRE scoring is like, so I'm not going to stress over a certain score too much. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I was just hoping for some sort of general ballpark. I ended up doing well on the SATs with only a few days of studying, but I assume the GRE should be significantly more difficult.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as I know, the GRE isn't really all that much more difficult than the SAT. Different format, though. I do know from studying some for the math section that it was fairly easy and really no harder than SAT math. The schools you're applying to should detail what they're looking for in terms of score, at least generally, so that should give you an idea of what to shoot for.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm taking the GRE also. I got the Kaplan book and I plan on studying that and then taking it.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Let's talk more about this GMAT. What is it even about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Let's talk more about this GMAT. What is it even about?
it's the standardized test for mba applicants. also for those wanting to pursue masters in accounting and finance.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
it's the standardized test for mba applicants. also for those wanting to pursue masters in accounting and finance.
Alright I got that much. What about these practice tests and all that though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote