Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cunningham was activated and Kamar Aiken and Malcolm Williams were promoted.

To make space, Ron Brace was waived. Interesting.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't put anything on the Jacksonville game. Having a down game like that can be beneficial this late in the year as long as they can come back from it.

This defense is much better than anything they've had in the last 5 years. The stats don't show it so much, but they play with more fire than those other teams and the young secondary is coming around.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would much rather be on a hot streak going into the playoffs, then barely squeeking by the Jags. Really think we should keep Gronk on the bench tomorrow, no need to rush him back. Really hope Indy pulls the upset here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I would much rather be on a hot streak going into the playoffs, then barely squeeking by the Jags. Really think we should keep Gronk on the bench tomorrow, no need to rush him back. Really hope Indy pulls the upset here.
Yeah I'm definitely a Colts fan today. In saying that, I don't mind if Gronk gets some playing time later. His injury, as long as it is healed isn't the type to have a reoccurence. It's completely different from an injury like Hernandez's and if the Pats do end up with a bye it would mean Gronk hadn't played any meaningful football in 2 months heading into the biggest game of the year.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots/Dolphins preview is up:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...seventeen.html
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's baaaaaaaaaack!
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yo soy fiesta bitches

Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty happy with our defense today. Really hoping that meeting Brady had with the team after last weeks game kicked this team in the ass. Hernandez also needs to stop being a Dbag.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed, the offense hasn't had a good flow to it these past few weeks. I think that's a byproduct of the general inconsistency and bitchiness of Lloyd and Hernandez. Having a healthy Gronk will hopefully alleviate this a bit since McDaniels will hopefully call fewer plays that are clearly designed to go to those 2. Gronk deep, Welker short, mix in Ridley and Vereen, repeat.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Agreed, the offense hasn't had a good flow to it these past few weeks. I think that's a byproduct of the general inconsistency and bitchiness of Lloyd and Hernandez. Having a healthy Gronk will hopefully alleviate this a bit since McDaniels will hopefully call fewer plays that are clearly designed to go to those 2. Gronk deep, Welker short, mix in Ridley and Vereen, repeat.
Serious lack of Woodhead in that equation.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
Serious lack of Woodhead in that equation.
Ha yeah, sorry Jvig, but Woodhead has become a really valuable part of this offense, especially with Gronk out. He still gets used in stupid situations though. Get him the ball in space around the 40 yard line on screens, dump offs, draws etc, don't give him the ball on the goal line or backed up deep in ou territory.

In the playoffs the only players I want to see get the ball around the goal line are Ridley, Gronk, Hernandez and Brady

Also, I know the Dolphins didn't really come to play but I really am getting excited again about this running game. Ridley, as long as he holds on to the ball, is one of the best backs in the AFC playoffs. Vereen has been running with more authority recently. Woodhead is a quality change of pace guy and Bolden running hard again give us a deep, balanced rushing attack which could be massive, especially against the Broncos if we meet to slow down Miller and hit them with play action in the middle of the field

Last edited by AntoinCD : 12-31-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Just figured I'd point out that we finished 9th in Defensive PPG allowed. We still have plenty of holes on that side of the ball from coverage LB's, to pass rushing DT's, and that SS spot, but this is easily the best I've felt about a Patriots defense going into the playoffs in the past 4 years.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm no where near as anxious about our defense that I've been the last few years. I really hope we keep Talib and build a great, young defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Ha yeah, sorry Jvig, but Woodhead has become a really valuable part of this offense, especially with Gronk out. He still gets used in stupid situations though. Get him the ball in space around the 40 yard line on screens, dump offs, draws etc, don't give him the ball on the goal line or backed up deep in ou territory.

In the playoffs the only players I want to see get the ball around the goal line are Ridley, Gronk, Hernandez and Brady

Also, I know the Dolphins didn't really come to play but I really am getting excited again about this running game. Ridley, as long as he holds on to the ball, is one of the best backs in the AFC playoffs. Vereen has been running with more authority recently. Woodhead is a quality change of pace guy and Bolden running hard again give us a deep, balanced rushing attack which could be massive, especially against the Broncos if we meet to slow down Miller and hit them with play action in the middle of the field

What? I wouldn't disagree with that statement about Woodhead. I just disagree with some of the calls we give to him in particular situations where its going to put us in third and long.

Also, we should totally hire Crennel for DC.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 01-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
What? I wouldn't disagree with that statement about Woodhead. I just disagree with some of the calls we give to him in particular situations where its going to put us in third and long.

Also, we should totally hire Crennel for DC.
Yeah I know I was only kidding and at this stage of the year compared to the start of the year he has made so many more huge plays.

Crennel would be interesting but I'm not sure the Pats have the type of guys he needs to run his defense.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Despite being pessimistic by nature, I find myself excited for the playoffs. The team has come a long way, especially defensively. The Talib trade has really turned around our defense, and we've played far more aggressively than we have in years. If the offense plays the way it's capable, I think we should prove to be a tough out (the Ravens being banged up on defense certainly helps our cause.) While I hope Denver is knocked out in the division round, that's not likely to happen, but should we win next week, as mentioned up thread we match up well against them.

Despite the play off anxiety and the sky high expectations, it's certainly a privilege to be a Patriot fan. We really are spoiled.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the forum mock, my first move with New England was trading our first-round pick to Minnesota for Percy Harvin and a fourth-rounder. Financially, it may be a bit costly, but I think it was worth it to address arguably our least encouraging position over the long-term with a 24 year-old stud, even it ends up costing the Patriots a big contract extension. This seemed like a relatively underwhelming first-round class to me. Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
In the forum mock, my first move with New England was trading our first-round pick to Minnesota for Percy Harvin and a fourth-rounder. Financially, it may be a bit costly, but I think it was worth it to address arguably our least encouraging position over the long-term with a 24 year-old stud, even it ends up costing the Patriots a big contract extension. This seemed like a relatively underwhelming first-round class to me. Thoughts?
My first thought is I don't love the value but can understand why you did it. I agree with you that this year's draft isn't awesome at the top and I believe rounds 2-4 will have some nice players available. The problem I have with it all is Harvin has struggled to stay on the field. When healthy he could elevate this offense to level's that have never been seen, however it is a risk to take. I would probably feel more comfortable trading our first for a future first instead but overall I don't hate the move

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My first thought is I don't love the value but can understand why you did it. I agree with you that this year's draft isn't awesome at the top and I believe rounds 2-4 will have some nice players available. The problem I have with it all is Harvin has struggled to stay on the field. When healthy he could elevate this offense to level's that have never been seen, however it is a risk to take. I would probably feel more comfortable trading our first for a future first instead but overall I don't hate the move
I consider Harvin (even with injury concerns) to be well worth the first-round price tag. This year, he caught over 60 passes despite playing in just nine games. We won't find anything approximating that production in the first round; I'd probably be happy with 60 catches over an entire season from a rookie wideout. What concerns me more is how much his contract extension will cost. I'm thinking something between Santonio Holmes (5-$45) and Vincent Jackson (5-$55), so maybe a 5-$50 or so?

Ultimately, the fit and talent was too good to pass up, even for significantly more money than a first-round receiver would have costed. Without any long-term solutions at receiver, I thought it was important to get some young talent in place. Having a proven #1 receiver like Harvin moving forwards would go a long way towards stabilizing the receiver position; Welker's status really muddies the offensive identity for me, especially because Edelman ended up on I.R. and has the expiring contract.

I also think it's important to invest in a top-notch supporting cast in an attempt to earn one last Super Bowl during Tom Brady's career. Do we want to look back over Brady's years in the league and regret not having given him more seasons with elite receivers? Brady can make do with less, but looking long-term, it would be great to have a receiver such as Harvin on the roster to ease Brady's successor into the league. Guys like Welker and Lloyd may either aging or elsewhere by the time something like that happens.

Ideally, I may have liked to see who was available at #30, but this seemed like an opportunity which would not last another day or so.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 01-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I consider Harvin (even with injury concerns) to be well worth the first-round price tag. This year, he caught over 60 passes despite playing in just nine games. We won't find anything approximating that production in the first round; I'd probably be happy with 60 catches over an entire season from a rookie wideout. What concerns me more is how much his contract extension will cost. I'm thinking something between Santonio Holmes (5-$45) and Vincent Jackson (5-$55), so maybe a 5-$50 or so?

Ultimately, the fit and talent was too good to pass up, even for significantly more money than a first-round receiver would have costed. Without any long-term solutions at receiver, I thought it was important to get some young talent in place. Having a proven #1 receiver like Harvin moving forwards would go a long way towards stabilizing the receiver position; Welker's status really muddies the offensive identity for me, especially because Edelman ended up on I.R. and has the expiring contract.

I also think it's important to invest in a top-notch supporting cast in an attempt to earn one last Super Bowl during Tom Brady's career. Do we want to look back over Brady's years in the league and regret not having given him more seasons with elite receivers? Brady can make do with less, but looking long-term, it would be great to have a receiver such as Harvin on the roster to ease Brady's successor into the league. Guys like Welker and Lloyd may either aging or elsewhere by the time something like that happens.

Ideally, I may have liked to see who was available at #30, but this seemed like an opportunity which would not last another day or so.
MJ I have to be blunt with this when I say I loathe the trade you made. Cap wise going forward it just doesn't make any sense. I think Harvin will be closer to V-Jax territory than Holmes, and all it takes is for 1 team to overpay Mike Wallace and those numbers get thrown out the window. I trust our offense to put up points even without Welker there. The core is still good and young on that side of the football, but as a team we're starting to teeter on the edge of the bloated contract universe. Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Mankins, Wilfork, and Mayo all have very large deals and we have some guys coming forward in the next few who deserve some decent sized ones as well. Can we really commit to 11 million for the next 5 for another piece to our offense?

I think one of the key things going forward is working to maintain cap flexibility year to year, and throwing another guy with a franchise type contract really muddles the situation. This team scored 35 ppg without Harvin this year, and even without Welker I'm still confident we could score over 30 with Brady, Gronk, and whoever else. This offense under Brady has shown the ability to reinvent itself, and I'm sure McDaniels and Brady would find a way to make it work. I don't think Edelman will cost a fortune, and Hernandez can take up some of the slot work next year with Ballard coming in as long as Hernandez stops being a little *****.

If you were truly underwhelmed by the first round talent, I'd kick in the doors for either a trade down for a 1st next year (potentially make ourselves within spitting distance for Clowney or Bridgewater) or inquire about Suh who the Lions might have been willing to part ways with for a similar price. With Suh we'd solve a bigger need, and would give us someone who we'd have a bit more control over before having to sign him to a new deal. I just don't think we can invest any more in adding new pieces to the offense considering what we have and what we need on the other side of the ball.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 01-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
If you were truly underwhelmed by the first round talent, I'd kick in the doors for either a trade down for a 1st next year (potentially make ourselves within spitting distance for Clowney or Bridgewater) or inquire about Suh who the Lions might have been willing to part ways with for a similar price. With Suh we'd solve a bigger need, and would give us someone who we'd have a bit more control over before having to sign him to a new deal. I just don't think we can invest any more in adding new pieces to the offense considering what we have and what we need on the other side of the ball.
That's a pretty interesting scenario right there. Although after listening to some of the comments made by Mayhew I would be shocked if Suh was put on the block. He basically threw all Lions defenders under the bus except Suh this year.

I like the idea of trading for a future first if there's no one BB likes towards the end of the first. Clowney is a major pipe dream but even thinking of him lining up opposite Jones is just unbelievable

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's a pretty interesting scenario right there. Although after listening to some of the comments made by Mayhew I would be shocked if Suh was put on the block. He basically threw all Lions defenders under the bus except Suh this year.

I like the idea of trading for a future first if there's no one BB likes towards the end of the first. Clowney is a major pipe dream but even thinking of him lining up opposite Jones is just unbelievable
Yeah the Suh thing is based entirely off speculation on what I see from Lions fans. I don't know how Mayhew and the organization feels about him. I just know that they save ~22 million over the next 2 seasons if they trade him, and we would have decent leverage to sign him to an extension without his bonus money impeding that.

Just the thought of a 3-4 with that personnel made me very excited.

Suh and Wilfork (2 gap tech)-Jones (1 gap tech)
Hightower-Spikes-Mayo-Ninkovich

but alas, we need to find a DT that can get after the QB one way or another.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hightower isn't a 3-4 OLB by any means. He'd play inside. I really don't think we have the personel to play the 3-4 as our base defense. I'd love to get Suh though, but the stories about him are soooo wrong. He plays with great intensity and power and he always commands double teams and very often split them. He's a great player. I'm not sure I like any one player this year, but I do like the depth of this draft class. If we could get a future first plus a third or a second I'd pull the trigger. I'm pretty confident that BB can close the holes on the roster via FA if we retain Talib, Edelman, Vollmer and maybe Welker as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Hightower isn't a 3-4 OLB by any means. He'd play inside. I really don't think we have the personel to play the 3-4 as our base defense. I'd love to get Suh though, but the stories about him are soooo wrong. He plays with great intensity and power and he always commands double teams and very often split them. He's a great player. I'm not sure I like any one player this year, but I do like the depth of this draft class. If we could get a future first plus a third or a second I'd pull the trigger. I'm pretty confident that BB can close the holes on the roster via FA if we retain Talib, Edelman, Vollmer and maybe Welker as well.
I think Hightower has been a far superior player in 3-4 type looks vs. as a conventional MLB. The position highlights his strengths and hides his weaknesses far better IMO. I've said this several times, but Ahmad Brooks is what he should aspire to be in the NFL.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I think Hightower has been a far superior player in 3-4 type looks vs. as a conventional MLB. The position highlights his strengths and hides his weaknesses far better IMO. I've said this several times, but Ahmad Brooks is what he should aspire to be in the NFL.
I like Hightower in 34 sets too. While he's not going to be mistaken for Derrick Brooks in coverage he is way better than your average stand up DE made into an OLB. Likewise, while he isn't going to be effective rushing the QB 35-40 times per game he is a very good blitzer.

I just don't see the Pats going back to a predimonantly 34 front. Belichick has stated he sees Jones as an end of the line player and Jones has stood up quite a lot this year so I don't see him as a 5 or even 6 technique. Having Jones as a rush backer doesn't fit his strenghts IMO.

I also like Mayo way better as a WILL than inside in a 34. It's no coincidence that Pats fans thought he didn't make enough big plays inside, then when moved to WILL he starts making big plays.

I like the front if they can add someone beside Wilfork. Sheldon Richardson would be amazing in the first and Sylvester Williams is also a guy i really like. In the second I would look at guys like Floyd and Short