Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
My pet cat of the year is

Ezekiel Ansah, DL, BYU
6'6 270 with 4.6 speed

People are comparing him to JPP and thats fine. He's going to be a risk player. But he is going to cost a first round pick because his measurables are that of an elite athlete. Talents like him don't fall far and his tape to me looked pretty good for how raw he was suppose to be. Game comes easy to him which is why I think I'd take the risk. There is a lot to read about this kid....but I hear he has a top notch motor/is high charater/ and a worker....seems to me like we could gamble on a ball of clay like this and get us a future impact player on the DL.

Here is his tape against Boise
OLB in Round 1 makes me a sad panda. I feel like we've been there, done that but have yet to fix NT and S.

I wanna know who your pet cats are outside of Round 1!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
OLB in Round 1 makes me a sad panda. I feel like we've been there, done that but have yet to fix NT and S.

I don't think you address NT in the 1st round. And not Safety this year either. If we do not take a G or C in the 1st round, we've done something wrong as an organization.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I don't think you address NT in the 1st round. And not Safety this year either. If we do not take a G or C in the 1st round, we've done something wrong as an organization.
NT - Depends, I don't rule it out when guys like Ngata and Wilfork are starring at you in the face.

S - I still say maybe. Safety is a position that post season workouts tend to help rise their stock.

G - Maybe, but I normally hate the idea of addressing this in Round 1.

C - Not normally and def not this year. Not even for Barrett Jones.

My favorite mock still has us taking Chance Warmack in Round 1 and Barrett Jones is Round 2.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Pet cat and thoughts

I like Womack too, but I also like vacarro.......if not we could trade down and det an extra pick. I do think we need a OL FOR SURE.

looking at the roster and just thinking for next year.

OL. we need a top guard plain and simple
CB. I think we have good depth and sterling will replace Jenkins
DL. 3 or 4 th round
S. this could be the year round 1 or 2
QB. One more year.....if they want Matt from USC HE MIGHT BE THERE
RB. ROUND 3 or 4
WR. SAME GROUP
TE. SAME GROUP
LB. resign spencer if we do stays the same

My players
Round 1. Womack or vacarro
Round 2. Top OL OR SAFETY WHICHEVER WE DON'T GET IN ROUND 1
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
antwanboldin
Rookie

antwanboldin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sign: spencer , Andy Levitre, Danny woodhead
Cut/restructure or trade: jay Ratliff, miles Austin, Doug free

1st. Chance Warmack
2. Bacardi Rambo - FS
3. Chase Thomas - OLB - Stanford
4. Tank carradine - 6'4/250- De - fSU -
5. Silas redd - RB : USC - this dude is a scary runner to face IMO

Last edited by antwanboldin : 12-27-2012 at 11:42 PM.
antwanboldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm projecting him to play any of the spots on the DL besides NT. He will take a good year of NFL diet and work out. So year one I see him as a 3rd down rusher similar to Aldon his rookie year. He has experience at 3-tech 5-tech and 7-tech or 2 point. He has athleticism to play in space if needed. If he is putting on 10-15lbs of muscle year 1...He is your dominant year 2 transformation into an elite 5-tech you hope. Maybe he just turns into a situational pass rusher still in year 2 because he still isn't strong enough at the point of attack to stand up against the run. Even Aldon wasn't starting 100% of the snaps this year...so we don't even need to get top production out of him year 2. But by year 3 if you develop him properly...he has everything you look for and a work ethic and character to boot. He will be drafted very similar to the year JPP went to the Giants. We are in similar position this year....we aren't going to have a shot at a elite player...so getting a potential dominant DL player outside the top 15 is a good pick to me.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Sorry but I would absolutely throw up if we took a WR in the 1st round. Why would we release Austin and create another unnecessary hole on the team? Austin is approaching 1000 yards and a handful of TD's, which is exactly what you want and need out of your #2 WR. It would be different if he was hurt all year, but he had some big games this year and stayed healthy, he's taken a back seat to Dez and rightfully so, but we aren't in any type of position to start releasting players in their prime to open up another hole.

I think WR is fine as is, we typically grow in house talents for the most part anyway. Austin as a 2 is just fine going forward, I love Harris as a 3, and Beasley is perfect as a 4. How about let Austin actually fall off a good bit before we go WR in round 1, that'd be fine if we didn't need any interior o-lineman or safeties.

Plus I only want 1 alpha dog at WR with Dez. That's how issues start. We'd be developing a guy who is primed to break out when we are searching for a new QB, and now we have two WR's who want the ball primarily. If we take a WR it better not be before round 4 or I'd be very upset. Austin has 2 good years left at minimum, while at that point his contract out weighs his play most likely but we are a ways away from that.
austin's numbers look good at first glance but his completion/target % is bad and his impact has been little in the cowboys surge, he has cracked 50 yards twice (58 against cleveland and 79 against Pittsburgh's 4th string corner). i don't think miles austin will ever be the same player that he was 3 years ago, he doesnt trust his hamstrings, i've seen him multiple times this year gear it down on deep routes b/c he was afraid to open up and run full speed and risk re-injury. the cowboys are very much up against the cap with the franchise qb coming up at the end of his deal and the mvp of the defense is free agent plus the 5 million minus on the cap, if miles austin is unwilling to restructure his contract, he would right next to doug free and jay ratliff on the chopping block. he has the least amount of dead money to eat out of all them too.

i don't see jerry taking a guard in round 1 and he could take a safety but they already paid church and there doesnt seem to be a big time nose tackle prospect available where were picking in the first.

having two alpha dog wr's on the outside can help the running game too b/c it will force defense to play both safeties back more. and miles over the last 2 years has not been a great veritcal threat he done most his damage in the slot. plus if dez or miles is seriously injured i dont believe the collection of harris, beasley and any reciever we get would get at the bottom half of the draft would really do enough damage over considerable stretch of games.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
austin's numbers look good at first glance but his completion/target % is bad and his impact has been little in the cowboys surge, he has cracked 50 yards twice (58 against cleveland and 79 against Pittsburgh's 4th string corner). i don't think miles austin will ever be the same player that he was 3 years ago, he doesnt trust his hamstrings, i've seen him multiple times this year gear it down on deep routes b/c he was afraid to open up and run full speed and risk re-injury. the cowboys are very much up against the cap with the franchise qb coming up at the end of his deal and the mvp of the defense is free agent plus the 5 million minus on the cap, if miles austin is unwilling to restructure his contract, he would right next to doug free and jay ratliff on the chopping block. he has the least amount of dead money to eat out of all them too.

i don't see jerry taking a guard in round 1 and he could take a safety but they already paid church and there doesnt seem to be a big time nose tackle prospect available where were picking in the first.

having two alpha dog wr's on the outside can help the running game too b/c it will force defense to play both safeties back more. and miles over the last 2 years has not been a great veritcal threat he done most his damage in the slot. plus if dez or miles is seriously injured i dont believe the collection of harris, beasley and any reciever we get would get at the bottom half of the draft would really do enough damage over considerable stretch of games.
I think Harris is a developing WR who can play on the outside in a pinch, by no means is he a game breaker but I think he can certainly be servicable. Beasley looks like he will be our slot WR of the future and Danny Coale basically hurt all year might have something to prove coming into camp. I would't mind drafting a big guy in the mid rounds to try and develop into a future starter.

As for guard I agree with you for the most part, I think Ron Leary will be given every opportunity to project himself into the starting lineup. Jerry proved that but giving him such a high bonus for an undrafted player and signing him to the active roster this past week to block someone from snatching him off of the practice squad.

I think Bernadeau and Kowalski can provide depth at guard and will compete with Costa for the starting center spot. Livings has been pretty solid at LG, Parnell will battle Free for the RT position so it might be a possbility that we don't see a major impact in the draft when it comes to lineman.

I am really a fan of the NT prospects in this class... John Jenkins is a monster and could do wonders maximizing our great Linebackers. He won't provide much pass rush but can easily plug in Ratliff or Lissemore to rush on third down.

Might be a year where we try to sell the pick and make up for the 2nd rd pick we lots moving up for Claiborne.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm not arguing that Austin is a stud, I'm just saying with our defense in shambles right now, and our interior offensive line so bad, we aren't taking a WR in the 1st round and cutting Austin. Those would be two of the dumbest things ever. Plus if it took us this long to just start rotating in Parnell for Free after he has sucked for ever, we aren't cutting Austin coming off a 1000 yard season. Who does that? WR's that produce like that in their 20's don't get released. We just have way too many team needs to be creating holes somewhere that there isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we'll be thinking about offensive skill players early, but I love Tavon Austin. He's going to be a matchup nightmare inside for whoever gets him. Can you imagine the headaches we'd give defensive coordinators with Tavon inside slicing up LB and S with Dez on the outside taking the top off?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Austin is probably my favorite wideout in this class though, I think he'll be a stud. Personally I want to see Harris grow into that #3 WR role. He's not a high draft pick or anything but everytime he's been given a shot he's made a play. On screens to get the 1st down, fights for yards, big plays, etc, he's came through numerous times as the year went on. He has been huge down the stretch.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Austin is probably my favorite wideout in this class though, I think he'll be a stud. Personally I want to see Harris grow into that #3 WR role. He's not a high draft pick or anything but everytime he's been given a shot he's made a play. On screens to get the 1st down, fights for yards, big plays, etc, he's came through numerous times as the year went on. He has been huge down the stretch.
Yea Harris has made some key plays down the stretch, he's got a nice skillset to play inside too. Tough, elusive, smart... I would welcome him as the #3 guy going into the season next year.

How would you feel if we did draft Tavon in the 1st though? His versatility is unique, I've seen comparisons to Sproles but Tavon looks like a more natural slot WR... although he could line up in the backfield too. Then there's the KR ability which could be elite in the NFL. I just don't think I've seen a triple threat like him, maybe Percy Harvin but Tavon has even better vision and moves in the open field.

DL, OL and S all need some new blood, but say we addressed DL and OL in FA with a couple stop-gap vets and the team is set on giving Barry Church his chance at Safety. I think that with a move or two in FA we're close to being able to go BPA. If we grabbed Tavon in R1 we can still beef up the trenches with young guys Rounds 2-4.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Yea Harris has made some key plays down the stretch, he's got a nice skillset to play inside too. Tough, elusive, smart... I would welcome him as the #3 guy going into the season next year.

How would you feel if we did draft Tavon in the 1st though? His versatility is unique, I've seen comparisons to Sproles but Tavon looks like a more natural slot WR... although he could line up in the backfield too. Then there's the KR ability which could be elite in the NFL. I just don't think I've seen a triple threat like him, maybe Percy Harvin but Tavon has even better vision and moves in the open field.

DL, OL and S all need some new blood, but say we addressed DL and OL in FA with a couple stop-gap vets and the team is set on giving Barry Church his chance at Safety. I think that with a move or two in FA we're close to being able to go BPA. If we grabbed Tavon in R1 we can still beef up the trenches with young guys Rounds 2-4.
I think we are too broke at a number of positions to burn a #1 on Austin. Maybe if we traded out out of the 1st and picked up an extra #2 we could make it work.

I think safety is a possibility if we really lock onto somebody.. Im personally a fan of converted safeties in Rhodes and Amerson as late 1st rounders. Church certainly will have a roll regardless and always can get some burn as a coverage LB.

As much as I'd love to gets some help on the o-line I have a feeling that they are infactuated with making the current personel work some how.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

I'm torn on it. I look it kinda like now, what if we had a more explosive #3 WR, would we be that much better? Our offense is rolling right now as is. But what if we had an impact FS? or an impact D-lineman, or a Center for once? Our safeties are starting to look like the Roy Williams days, I re-watched the Thanksgiving game again on NFLN last night and RGIII destroyed us deep through the air. They set us up with the run and those fakes and when they go deep it's easy completions.

While on offense I see it like Dez is the guy the offense goes through, Witten moves the chains and still does a great job, Murray pounds the rock, and outside of that I think Austin/Harris is enough for the leftovers. What I saw from Harris in the Pittsburgh game showed me that we are good with him, and typically we do good developing UDFA WR's also.

I just don't want a flashy pick, probably because we don't need it. I'd take Reid at Safety over every WR prospect this year pretty easily, and probably both Warmack and Cooper also. If those 3 are gone Austin moves up on my board because I just think dude is a stud, but at some point we have to upgrade the interior of this line before adding any more weapons or we will be seeing the same old thing happening again.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Something else that had crossed my mind recently is is possibly shifting to a conventional 4-3 look on defense. Jerry had mentioned that if we hadn't traded up for Claiborne last year the pick would have been Bobby Wagner. Im not quite sure how he would have fit if Rob didn't convert the front 7 unless they had no faith in Carter.

Lissemore looks like he could be a natuaral fit for a NT in the 4-3... Spencer/ Ware would have no problem rushing with their hands in the ground... Church can play either Will or SS depending how Rob wanted to set up the secondary. Lee/Carter would be an amazing Mike/Sam combo while Sims, Albright and Connor are all solid fill ins.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Something else that had crossed my mind recently is is possibly shifting to a conventional 4-3 look on defense. Jerry had mentioned that if we hadn't traded up for Claiborne last year the pick would have been Bobby Wagner. Im not quite sure how he would have fit if Rob didn't convert the front 7 unless they had no faith in Carter.

Lissemore looks like he could be a natuaral fit for a NT in the 4-3... Spencer/ Ware would have no problem rushing with their hands in the ground... Church can play either Will or SS depending how Rob wanted to set up the secondary. Lee/Carter would be an amazing Mike/Sam combo while Sims, Albright and Connor are all solid fill ins.
That's interesting to hear. I love Wagner this year, had no idea he was on our radar, seems like a weird pick with all the CB help we needed to take another LB that if we stayed in the 3-4 would have been coming off the bench most of the year. I'm partial on a switch. I think we have the personnel to do it, but I just love the way Lee & Carter fit inside, and would prefer to build around our LB core as is.

If we could find an impact player up front, and an impact Safety, we would be so much better off. But I wouldn't gripe much if we did change, just want to see our ILB's grow more in the same scheme.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that Austin is a stud, I'm just saying with our defense in shambles right now, and our interior offensive line so bad, we aren't taking a WR in the 1st round and cutting Austin. Those would be two of the dumbest things ever. Plus if it took us this long to just start rotating in Parnell for Free after he has sucked for ever, we aren't cutting Austin coming off a 1000 yard season. Who does that? WR's that produce like that in their 20's don't get released. We just have way too many team needs to be creating holes somewhere that there isn't.
parnell has played well enough to at least compete for a starting rt next, the cowboys like leary especially since they brought him up from the practice squad to protect from someone else signing him and livings has been adequate overall, so i don't see offensive line being a first round priority in the mind of jj b/c he has won super bowls by developing interior lineman.

the defensive isn't in shambles there just an especiall y unusual amount of injuries and lee and carter will be back and so will church next year as well as scandrick when everybody was healthy the defense was pretty good. the only possible defensive picks would be safety or nose tackle. good chance vacarro goes before were on the board. not sure if any of other guys are sure fire first rounders. i see the cowboys taking long look at nose tackle in fa (terrance knighton) and we have corners. so if jj and jg like some of the inhouse candidates at o-line and some the defensive players that we like aren't on the board and there no running back worthy of fisrt rounder the next position of need is wr.

austin's hamstrings can't be trusted, dez in the offseason is still a question mark. any injury to miles or dez could be devasting b/c harris and beasley arent capable 2 and 3 options in a passing attack that's all about the vertical passing game. the history of jj in the 1st round is trading and taking skill players, so i'm expecting a skill player in the 1st round

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 12-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
parnell has played well enough to at least compete for a starting rt next, the cowboys like leary especially since they brought him up from the practice squad to protect from someone else signing him and livings has been adequate overall, so i don't see offensive line being a first round priority in the mind of jj b/c he has won super bowls by developing interior lineman.

the defensive isn't in shambles there just an especiall y unusual amount of injuries and lee and carter will be back and so will church next year as well as scandrick when everybody was healthy the defense was pretty good. the only possible defensive picks would be safety or nose tackle. good chance vacarro goes before were on the board. not sure if any of other guys are sure fire first rounders. i see the cowboys taking long look at nose tackle in fa (terrance knighton) and we have corners. so if jj and jg like some of the inhouse candidates at o-line and some the defensive players that we like aren't on the board and there no running back worthy of fisrt rounder the next position of need is wr.

austin's hamstrings can't be trusted, dez in the offseason is still a question mark. any injury to miles or dez could be devasting b/c think harris and beasley are capable 2 and 3 options in a passing attack that's all about the vertical passing game. the history of jj in the 1st round is trading and taking skill players, so i'm expecting a skill player in the 1st round

I'm hoping we start Parnell next year at RT, not a lock but we can only hope. And besides Dez when is the last time we drafted a WR in the 1st round? I honestly don't even know who that would be because Antonio Bryant was a 2nd rounder and Roy was a trade. More then anything we have developed WR's or taken them late if you look at the rotations we have had below our top WR.

As far as your last paragraph, if that is how you feel then we would need a WR in the 1st round every year. We'll just agree to disagree there. Literally the last thing on this teams list of needs for 2013 is a WR in the 1st, if we take a guy that ends up good sure I'll root for him and be happy. But even with everyone healthy on D our Safeties are attrocious and Reid actually looks like he's hovering where our pick will be. It makes no sense to cut a WR who had a 1000 yard season to create a hole to take a guy in the 1st round, and continue into next year with literally the exact same problems.

But hey, at least we would have improved our #2 WR position, which was definately a problem this year and the reason we didn't win more games right? A back-up RB for Murray is far, far more important then a WR. I'm also just of the school of thought that you don't draft multiple WR's in the 1st round so close together with holes to fill. if we were a team who didn't have the holes we do at NT, Guard, Center, and Safety, then sure, let's just go BPA. But I'm positive there will be players at those positions with 1st round grades, we aren't in a situation to take luxury picks IMO.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
I'm hoping we start Parnell next year at RT, not a lock but we can only hope. And besides Dez when is the last time we drafted a WR in the 1st round? I honestly don't even know who that would be because Antonio Bryant was a 2nd rounder and Roy was a trade. More then anything we have developed WR's or taken them late if you look at the rotations we have had below our top WR.

As far as your last paragraph, if that is how you feel then we would need a WR in the 1st round every year. We'll just agree to disagree there. Literally the last thing on this teams list of needs for 2013 is a WR in the 1st, if we take a guy that ends up good sure I'll root for him and be happy. But even with everyone healthy on D our Safeties are attrocious and Reid actually looks like he's hovering where our pick will be. It makes no sense to cut a WR who had a 1000 yard season to create a hole to take a guy in the 1st round, and continue into next year with literally the exact same problems.

But hey, at least we would have improved our #2 WR position, which was definately a problem this year and the reason we didn't win more games right? A back-up RB for Murray is far, far more important then a WR. I'm also just of the school of thought that you don't draft multiple WR's in the 1st round so close together with holes to fill. if we were a team who didn't have the holes we do at NT, Guard, Center, and Safety, then sure, let's just go BPA. But I'm positive there will be players at those positions with 1st round grades, we aren't in a situation to take luxury picks IMO.
this deep draft for safeties i would have no issue passing on reid in the first and taking amerson or jefferson in the second. what rb would take in the first? and besides murray is the type of back that needs the ball 20-25 he gets better as the game wears on. if you were gonna take a back in the first round he gonna spend alot of time on the bench. what center u gonna take in the first round? none b/c there is nobody worthy. kawann short could be possible but he has weight and conditioning issues. imo guard,center, safety have alot optiona beyond the first round so if a wr who can push miles and his bad hamstrings and extremely bloated contract of the roster then so be it, we could use the cap space from him to sign a fa to fill a hole.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Oh no I don't want a RB in the 1st at all, but I put it higher on up our teams need list before a second WR. I also don't want to cut anyone who can still play. That day with Austin probably isn't far away, but as of now I don't see him ready to be cut. I would be ok waiting on Safety, or Guard also. I just feel like that 1st we should be trying to get an impact player for a position we are struggling at.

We have done plenty of taking Guards and Safeties in the mid rounds and basically none of them have amounted to anything. If we go into next year without some massive upgrades at either spot, Romo is going to continually be running for his life, and teams like the Redskins will be throwing it over our heads all game. Barry Church is hardly a reason to not draft a Safety.

If I were to list out our team needs, and areas to improve next year to make a serious run, WR would be almost near the bottom, for me at least.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Oh no I don't want a RB in the 1st at all, but I put it higher on up our teams need list before a second WR. I also don't want to cut anyone who can still play. That day with Austin probably isn't far away, but as of now I don't see him ready to be cut. I would be ok waiting on Safety, or Guard also. I just feel like that 1st we should be trying to get an impact player for a position we are struggling at.

We have done plenty of taking Guards and Safeties in the mid rounds and basically none of them have amounted to anything. If we go into next year without some massive upgrades at either spot, Romo is going to continually be running for his life, and teams like the Redskins will be throwing it over our heads all game. Barry Church is hardly a reason to not draft a Safety.

If I were to list out our team needs, and areas to improve next year to make a serious run, WR would be almost near the bottom, for me at least.
right judging what i think will be on the board there will be outside linebackers,cooper, elam, reid and sheldon richardson and but no offensive tackles, no centers. wr would the best talent on the board besides some of the other guys i listed, unless you want to take a qb like glennon or gamble on tyler bray. i feel like if you get a reciever your protected from another miles austin hamstring injury and dez's play style always lend himself to get hurt, i dont see it as luxury pick if a wr is the bpa, bc were one injury from being in big trouble at wr and it gives you the ability to get him acclimated in the offense and gives you depth at wr. if i had my choice i would take vacarro, sylvester williams, then warmack but i dont see any of those players getting out of the top 18 picks
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

my pet cat is larry warford OG from kentucky, im surprised barrett jones is getting more love on this board than him
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
my pet cat is larry warford OG from kentucky, im surprised barrett jones is getting more love on this board than him
I think you might be riding the hot name with Warford. I brought him up a couple of months ago and it seemed like no one knew who he was. No slight on him but Jones is the better prospect all the way around. Barrett is much better in pass protection has solid technique and good feet to anchor. As for run blocking he knows where the run is designed and does a nice job of using angles to wall of defenders. When he is the free lineman he does a nice job of getting to the second level and attacking linebackers. He will never be a mauler but has a nice frame to add good weight and strength to.

Warford best asset is his size. Teams are intrigued with his ability to drive of the ball in the run game and establish a new LOS. He uses his hands effectively when fresh but wears down throughout the game. When he locks on he has the ability to drive block and steer defenders due to his natural strength. Mobility is above average for his size but won't be an asset at the second level. In pass protection he holds a wide base and has good slide ability but can be beat of the snap. Technique goes out the window as the game wears on and will begin to lunge at opponents loosing balance and leverage. Has some awareness against stunts and delayed blitzes .. Stays home and defends his gaps, occasionally will combo block with center or tackle.

Simple case of Jones has too much tape and evaluators are starting to find a ceiling for his game while Warford has great natural abilities and scouts love his potential. Day one Jones is a much better option at guard. Add in the fact he can play center and a little tackle makes him an even better fit.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 12-29-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

New Mock Draft

1. Trade 3rd round pick to move up and take Kenny Vacarro
2. Trade Back in the second to the top of the 3rd and pick up a 4th and select Larry Warford
3. With the first 4th round take Shamarko Thomas
4. With 2nd 4th rounder take Ed Lacy
5. Josh Downs DT LSU
6. Marcus Davis WR Va Tech
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great article on Matt Elam a safety I have my eye on if he declares which is what seems to be the consensus at this point.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...und-for/nThpk/

Quote:
He arrived in Gainesville in January 2010 with an unrealistic vision of what he would do. He twice won the Lou Groza Award as the county’s best high school player — he is the only two-time recipient – and figured he would dominate in college, too.
He quickly learned otherwise. He went from being a player whom former coach Urban Meyer described as “dumpy” and “chubby” in his first season to 4 percent body fat. Teammates said he was selfish as a freshman, but now credit him as a leader.
“It’s a complete 360,” Dwyer coach Jack Daniels said. “He got up there and thought he’d be a star right away, and that’s all he cared about, but that doesn’t happen much. Matt had never been asked to be patient, and it was tough for him.
“Now he’s out there playing for the other guys and the team. It’s a big difference.”
Others saw the transformation, too, and the entire secondary benefited from it.
“You were the man at your high school, then you come in and it’s all about me, but after that falls out the window you realize, ‘I’ve got a whole team to take care of,’ ” defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd said. “That’s where he grew. He takes care of the DBs.”
Elam was exceptional this season, earning All-America honors from the Associated Press. He was arguably the best player on the nation’s No. 5 defense.
He led the Gators (11-1, third in the BCS standings) with four interceptions and was second in tackles at 65. In their signature win over LSU in October, he saved the game by chasing down receiver Odell Beckham on a 56-yard reception and stripping the ball from him.
Plays like that make NFL teams covet him. They also like his 5-foot-10, 202-pound build (identical to that of Pro Bowl safety Earl Thomas), his speed and his jarring hits.
Elam has until the Jan. 15 deadline to decide whether he will enter the draft. He refused to speak publicly about it all year, and coach Will Muschamp will not address it until after the game against Louisville (10-2, No. 21 in the BCS).
Daniels, however, long expected him to turn pro at this point and now believes it is inevitable.
“I think he’s got his mind made up,” he said. “He’s gone.
“He has the opportunity to be a high draft choice and make more in his signing bonus than most people make in 30 years. It’d be a bad business decision if he didn’t. If somebody told you they’d pay you a million dollars, would you go back to school?”

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote