Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I personally believe that the safest car you can drive is the car that you feel most comfortable driving. Not all cars drive the same way, so my recommendation would be to make a list of 5 or 6 different cars/suvs, and test drive all of them, and then decide on which car feels the best, and go and negotiate the best price for that car.

I recommend never buying new cars. I'll never buy a new car. Let someone else take the hit out of the parking lot. You save a ton of money buying used. Even if it's a used car with like 10k miles on it, you save SO much money doing that instead of buying new.
This is really good advice. Doesn't matter what your income level is, buying used is always the better route. Cars depreciate far too fast from 0 miles.

Also, Volvo's seem like they would suit your fancy. I remember I was driving in an old Volvo station wagon that was rear ended by a Ford Super Duty. There wasn't a scratch on the Volvo, and the whole front end of the Super Duty was a mangled hunk of fiberglass.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
This is really good advice. Doesn't matter what your income level is, buying used is always the better route. Cars depreciate far too fast from 0 miles.
If you keep a car for 10 years or 150K miles, buying a new car is worth it. But I know a few idiots who buy a 30,000 dollar car, drive it for two years, and then trade it in to get another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Me and my spouse don't really have established credit history though. We kind of have the leverage at this point in time to pay for a vehicle in all cash essentially. I'm not sure if you really have to have good credit to be able to lease a car. Plus...I'd like to think that I would stick with a car I choose as long as possible and get used to how it drives. I don't think I would be interested in "upgrading" to something different after a certain period of leasing is over with. I know you can buy a car you lease after a while, but would it just be better to buy the car outright? I heard the buyout option for leasing cars isn't that great.
Didn't say anything about leasing. I'd just buy a used car. If you're concerned about safety, you can find a much more reliable situation with a used car because there's a history established for the model. New cars can have flaws you don't know about until it's too late.

If you felt so inclined, you could trade the used car (or keep it so you have two) in and buy a new one after you've established a comfort level with driving. I'm also the type who will keep something as long as it's working in proper order rather than going for something new.

It's mostly, as others have said, about driving what's comfortable for you. For me, I'm most-comfortable in a smaller car. Other people are comfortable in bigger cars.

Of SUVs that I've driven, I've always liked driving the Escape. I've had a couple girlfriends that had them and a company car where I used to work was an Escape, so I've driven them a lot. I like the way they drive. Unfortunately, they seem to end up with a lot of weird mechanical problems.

I've always liked the CRV the best, though. To me, it feels great to drive. But that's coming from someone who's most-comfortable in smaller cars, and the CRV historically has been fairly similar tot he Civic in the way it's put together (the Haynes books through at least 2003 were Civic/CRV because they were that similar). If I was in the market for an SUV, that'd be my choice.

Last edited by nepg : 12-30-2012 at 10:24 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah. Maybe I should buy a used one then. Not lease. My bad.

My aunt had a Ford Explorer from the late 90's up until a few years ago. Got over 100,000 miles out of it. Seemed good. Maybe I'll take a look at one of their models. Ford Escape is the smaller version right? That would be interesting to check out too.

As for the Audi I was talking about, Audi Oakland has a used model of the 2012 A4 I'd feel comfortable taking a look at. A decent price range in terms of what we want to spend. The used A6 is even more expensive than I thought. Still researching the differences between the two.

http://www.audiofoakland.com/used/Au...700b6bc471.htm

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I want to say $60,000. I think me and my spouse may be a little more flexible than that if we had to.
You can get a 2012 Corvette for about 55k and you'll have 5 left over to appease the old lady when she threatens to leave you. worked for me a few years back.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pff with Ford. Go Toyota . Cheaper more dependable and long lasting.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't buy Prius, if you want good MPG. Hybrds are the worst, they cost to much up front you will never recoop the money. You maintanince is the same as a IC engine.

Buy full electric like a Tesla Motor car, no oil changes, high heat, you maintaince drops to 0 dollars pretty much.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Don't buy Prius, if you want good MPG. Hybrds are the worst, they cost to much up front you will never recoop the money. You maintanince is the same as a IC engine.

Buy full electric like a Tesla Motor car, no oil changes, high heat, you maintaince drops to 0 dollars pretty much.
I don't understand. Don't Prius' get good MPG for it's size?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best...NF.shtml#noEVs

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't understand. Don't Prius' get good MPG for it's size?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best...NF.shtml#noEVs
I mean they do get good MPG. Just the cost of the car isn't worth it, even in the long run, to the amount you save in gas. A few studies have been done by Harvard and such.

You'll save more money with a full electric car than a half and half. With electric cars you don't have the same amount of issues or maintaining to do, as with a internal combustion engine.

The wrost you have is the battery not charging the full 140 miles, and that is where the advantage with Tesla comes in, you can switch out the battery.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get a $20,000 car, then buy 4 cheap cars for $500 each, and pay 4 people a salary of $9,000 per year to drive in front of you, behind you, and on both sides at all times. That's ultimate safety.. and plus you still have $2,000 left to pay me for this idea.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have always heard great things about Jeep and their models. A cherokee would be a good fit if you are looking for a SUV. I drive a 4runner and I love it, well worth the money I spent on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I mean they do get good MPG. Just the cost of the car isn't worth it, even in the long run, to the amount you save in gas. A few studies have been done by Harvard and such.

You'll save more money with a full electric car than a half and half. With electric cars you don't have the same amount of issues or maintaining to do, as with a internal combustion engine.

The wrost you have is the battery not charging the full 140 miles, and that is where the advantage with Tesla comes in, you can switch out the battery.
Ehhhh, not ready to jump on the electric car train. Especially if I wanted the option to drive really far...yeah wouldn't feel confident about that.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First you need to decide how much you are willing to spend on a new car. Then shop in your price range.

I just recently (October of this year) purchased a new car. I went through the search process looking for a few things: good gas mileage, under $20k (lower the better), center console (some cars don't have them), good warranty, and a USB/AUX input.

After looking around I limited my search to the Chevy Sonic, Toyota Matrix, Kia Forte, Kia Soul, Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, and the Mazda 3. After looking at all of them, comparing them, and test driving a couple I settled on the Kia Forte.

With the Forte the price was right, it had all the features I liked, the ride was smooth, there was a roomy backseat, the safety ratings were very good, and it has an excellent warranty.

It just depends on what you're looking for but if you're looking for a great car that gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, and has top safety ratings then I'd suggest the new Nissan Altima (might be in your price range) and the Mazda 3. I would also suggest the Forte as it might not be as luxurious as the Altima or as speedy as the 3, it still is a solid overall car and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
It just depends on what you're looking for but if you're looking for a great car that gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, and has top safety ratings then I'd suggest the new Nissan Altima (might be in your price range) and the Mazda 3. I would also suggest the Forte as it might not be as luxurious as the Altima or as speedy as the 3, it still is a solid overall car and you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Me and my spouse went to a Nissan dealership the other day. They had a couple of Nissan Altimas there. Might go back and inquire more about them. My girl wasn't so sure though, but I think she just didn't like how it looked from an artistic standpoint LOL.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Hey there is always this car :D

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ness, if by The City, you mean SF, then the smaller the better. Parking is so limited and/or super tough due to topography. I hate having to take my big truck into the City.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Ness, if by The City, you mean SF, then the smaller the better. Parking is so limited and/or super tough due to topography. I hate having to take my big truck into the City.
I'm moving to south bay in a couple of months though. I'm getting out of the city.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm renting the new Escape Hybrid and it's pretty sweet. I'd give that a look.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 2013 Nissan Sentra looks pretty awesome. 30/39 mpg, all new design, tons of features, and seems to be pretty affordable.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Just test drive everything, get a feel for what you want and like
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Me and my spouse went to a Nissan dealership the other day. They had a couple of Nissan Altimas there. Might go back and inquire more about them. My girl wasn't so sure though, but I think she just didn't like how it looked from an artistic standpoint LOL.
I wouldn't touch Altimas, personally. They always rank high on "initial quality", but I haven't met too many people that are happy with them a few years down the road.

And the A4 is probably the best car I've ever driven. But that's me, and I like smaller cars.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had a nissan maxima, and I wouldn't recommend Nissan based on my experience with them. A lot of electrical problems. Not nearly as reliable as Honda or Toyota.

When it comes to comfort and reliability, I like Toyota the most. They're the best. Honda is a close second.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the latest crop of Ford cars coming out though. Ford, at least superficially, looks like theyre making some quality cars lately.

I can't speak for their reliability or drive though, I never owned one.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's get this straight. You're a black man, with an Asian girlfriend, living in San Francisco, and paying for a vehicle in cash?

You sound like a Ford truck man.