Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
That's too much lifting. Assuming you are going decently heavy, I wouldn't lift more than 4 times a week or 2 days in a row. It's as much about neural recovery as muscle recovery.
So lift each group only once per week? Does it matter that I'm now just looking to tone, not add mass, so I'll be doing less weight and more reps?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
So lift each group only once per week? Does it matter that I'm now just looking to tone, not add mass, so I'll be doing less weight and more reps?
I'd still keep it to 4 day a week and do extra cardio the other days......something like:

M: Bench plus accessory stuff (CG or incline bench, skullcrushers, flys,etc)
T: Squat plus light accessory work (Goodmornings, GH raises, etc)
Th: Overhead press plus accessory (shrugs, push press, hang clean, etc)
F: Deadlift plus accessory (rows, power clean, GH raise, etc)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks Rob.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How much rest time should I give each muscle group between workouts? For example, many years ago I used the following schedule

Day 1: back and biceps
Day 2: chest and triceps
Day 3: legs and shoulders
Off day
Repeat 1-3

I'd mix in abs twice during the week. Is that too much time off between muscle groups?

What Rob suggested is most likely optimal. However, if you want/like a 6 day a week training regiment, I'd probably go with something like:

Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Upper Back/Biceps
Day 3: Legs/Lower Back
OFF
D1
D2
D3

If you want a more in depth thing with what exercises I'd do, and rep schemes, feel free to PM.

Quote:
That's not really how it works. The "toned look" comes from having muscle mass, but a lower body fat. That can be achieved through diet, not through less weight more reps. Now, it's possible you may respond better to that type of training, but if you're just going for that "look", it will come via diet.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Borat, I am of the mindset that abs are the one muscle group you can't really overtrain. You can probably toss in an ab workout 5 or 6 days a week as long as you aren't really tearing it up each day. Abs recover very quickly and it helps get that 6- or 8- pack quickly.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Borat, I am of the mindset that abs are the one muscle group you can't really overtrain. You can probably toss in an ab workout 5 or 6 days a week as long as you aren't really tearing it up each day. Abs recover very quickly and it helps get that 6- or 8- pack quickly.
Now that is what I'm looking for. Thanks nipper.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, abs 6 days a week is totally fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got a question for the brosciencers out here if anyone has a minute. Actually, I might just PM a few of you instead. Hm.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got back in the gym today after a couple of weeks of not being all that active and eating too much. Warmed up a while and then went hard at back squats, deadlifts and some ab work. Felt good to get back at it. Everything between my knees and chest now hurts.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NIP and Rob are right. Abs are about the only muscle that dont need rest, along with calves. Everything else should almost get 48 hrs of rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't go so far as saying you can't overtrain abs. The point of working out is to break down muscles and then encourage your body to build the muscles back stronger. I'm sure any muscle can be pushed to the point of being broken down too much. Also, when doing ab exercises, there are other muscles that come into play beyond the rectus abdominis, depending on which exercise you're doing.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been working on my pull-ups a lot lately. It's really paying off for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Been working on my pull-ups a lot lately. It's really paying off for me.
In terms of more reps, improvements in other lifts, size, etc?
I've sort of gotten away from doing pull-ups lately and need to get back on that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everything really. I'm getting better at a bunch of different grips and widths. My reps per set have gone up. And it's really helped my overall strength and health.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Everything really. I'm getting better at a bunch of different grips and widths. My reps per set have gone up. And it's really helped my overall strength and health.
What type of reps do you do? I just incorporate them into my regular work out. I do 3 sets - 10/8/8 and than do another 8 at the end of my workout. I have been thinking about doing more body weight type exercises - right now its a mix but so bored with the gym and my regimen which I have been doing for the 6 or so years
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

I do 8/8/8, 6/6/6, 4/4/4, 2/2/2 using different grips. If I'm feeling like I can do more after abs I usually try to do 10 to 12 more.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
NIP and Rob are right. Abs are about the only muscle that dont need rest, along with calves. Everything else should almost get 48 hrs of rest.
No all this ab talk sounds like bro science. I'm willing to believe it, if anyone has an actual source. Cause muscle are muscle their fibers and anatomy don't change, so how does my arm and leg muscles weaker than my ab and calf muscles?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

damn double
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you really wanna get after the abs start mixin in some hanging abs. Just like a pull up but pull your knees up to your chest. Do 15-12-9-all the way down to 3 or so. Can add weight if you have a belt and mix it up certain ways. But if you are just looking to get after abs one day I recommend it. End all my workouts with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
When you really wanna get after the abs start mixin in some hanging abs. Just like a pull up but pull your knees up to your chest. Do 15-12-9-all the way down to 3 or so. Can add weight if you have a belt and mix it up certain ways. But if you are just looking to get after abs one day I recommend it. End all my workouts with it.
if you really have ABzzz, don't pull your knees up, pull your toes up to your head, or at least 90 if you can.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you really want abs, do pullups.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
You can do anything with your body weight really.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Do you guys do Kipping pullups or military style?

I'm actually thinking of doing Fran tomorrow, but won't be able to do the amount of pullups recommended without modifying the exercise.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

I fell i'm make my rotator cuff worse if I try Kipping
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
If you really want abs, eat less and do more cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Do you guys do Kipping pullups or military style?

I'm actually thinking of doing Fran tomorrow, but won't be able to do the amount of pullups recommended without modifying the exercise.
Kipping is for lame-o crossfitters.