Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who's your MVP entering Sunday week 12
P Manning 28 50.00%
A Rodgers 4 7.14%
T Brady 12 21.43%
R Griffin 1 1.79%
D Brees 3 5.36%
M Ryan 2 3.57%
A Peterson 4 7.14%
A Foster 0 0%
M Lynch 1 1.79%
Other: Who? 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The same stuff just keeps going round and round in this thread.

Without Peterson being ridiculous the Vikings wouldn't be one of the worst teams in the league. He played simply ok to start the season and the Vikings had a winning record because they had a viable receiving threat in Percy Harvin who was tearing it up which also opened things up for Rudolph. These two players being healthy and open helped Ponder. When Harvin went down AD picked up the slack. I would like to point people's attention to the Percy Harvin thread in this section from around the second week in October when many, including Vikings fans, were saying at that point he (Harvin) should be considered for both offensive player of the year and MVP.

So, if Peterson doesn't go on his run the Vikings probably finish with about 6 wins. Not great but definitely not KC or Jacksonville bad so that argument really holds no water.

Secondly, the argument against Manning saying the Broncos won a playoff game last year so how much value has he added? Well, the Broncos play in an extremely weak division. 2 of the 3 teams they play twice will be picking in the top 3. San Diego are also a flawed team with little talent and terrible coaching. Denver have a solid team and really should walk that division with any QB remotely capable of being a starter. However, the difference between this year's Broncos and last year's is Tebow won on miracle plays and the defense stepped up when it mattered. Peyton has the Broncos winning consistently and easily and they have wound up with a #1 seed. Likely playing a team like the Patriots in the AFCCG at Mile High instead of Gillette is absolutely huge. So, IMO Manning didn't make the Broncos a little bit better, he made them way better.

Thirdly, JMike just stop.

And lastly, this all comes down to perceived value. People are making ridiculous statements about how others want to make this a QB award. Well, then petition the league to change the name because unless there are some huge changes to the game or a player from another position simply tears the whole league apart on a winning team then a QB is going to be the most valuable player, period. Let me clarify, this award is not for the best player, not for the most dominant, not for the guy who is so far ahead of all others at his position, not for the guy with the best story etc this is for the most valuable player in the league this year

However after my rant, I will now state what I said a while earlier. I have no issue with Peterson winning this award this year. The Vikings are in the playoffs because of Peterson. In the second half of the season he had more yards than Ponder. That said it would still be a toss up in my mind with Manning

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another position would be hard pressed to be more valuable than the top QB's this year, but if you want to give points for dominating from your position more thoroughly than we thought possible, the choice would easily be Watt, not Peterson.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Hah. Okay? A running back took one of he worst teams in the NFL and carried them into the playoffs. I don't see how you get more valuable than that. With no offensive weapons outside himself, defenses game planning pretty much entirely for him, and a QB who is incapable of stretching the field, I'm pretty damn sure he's the most valuable player.

Not to mention he did it at absurd YPC and almost broke one of the most coveted records in the NFL whilst carrying his team into the playoffs.

Just because the NFL rules favor quarterbacks and it puts them in control of more situations, it doesn't necessarily mean other players can't be more valuable. And how you come up with "value" is also widely debatable. There are many things which can make a player valuable.
I am not as high on Peterson as some people. If he had gotten the record it would have been different but without the record what does he have a lot of yards on a team that barely made the playoffs. As much as some people may not like it wins do matter like in 2008 Drew Brees was having an MVP season withe #1 offense while having to carry the team because of bad defense. Because the Saints were 8-8 that year though he did not win the MVP. Voters do not like to give MVP to players on average to below average teams.
49ers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Peterson doesn't have the pure value of the elite QBs. They touch the ball every offensive play and exercise more control. You won't see Peterson changing the call at the LOS anytime soon.
Usually, I would agree with RB not having the same value, but this year Peterson ABSOLUTELY had as much value to his team as any QB.

Vikings aren't going to the playoffs because of Ponder, I can assure you of that.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I pray Peterson wins it. If he doesn't win it with his outstanding season, and no clear QB deserving the MVP award then we may as well call the award the Best QB award.

If Peterson can't win it, we won't see a position other than QB win it for a very very long time.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers1984 View Post
I am not as high on Peterson as some people. If he had gotten the record it would have been different but without the record what does he have a lot of yards on a team that barely made the playoffs. As much as some people may not like it wins do matter like in 2008 Drew Brees was having an MVP season withe #1 offense while having to carry the team because of bad defense. Because the Saints were 8-8 that year though he did not win the MVP. Voters do not like to give MVP to players on average to below average teams.
They made the playoffs. AD was 9 yards short. If he breaks it by one yard is he suddenly more valuable? You didn't make a single half decent point.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a ridiculous point of Manning already having 4 MVPs is some justification for him not to win another is just dumb... this isnt a charity event, if he plays well enough i have no issue with him having 10... just because he has won it before and peterson has not... is totally irrelevant
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
They made the playoffs. AD was 9 yards short. If he breaks it by one yard is he suddenly more valuable? You didn't make a single half decent point.
They did make the playoffs but barely. In voters eyes any year where a player breaks a record it makes them a lot more valuable in their eyes.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
I think a ridiculous point of Manning already having 4 MVPs is some justification for him not to win another is just dumb... this isnt a charity event, if he plays well enough i have no issue with him having 10... just because he has won it before and peterson has not... is totally irrelevant
That is correct past awards should not matter why he should not win is he has not been better then Peterson, Brady or Rodgers this year.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that is arguable because i think taking a team that was a joke on Offense last year and had no business making the playoffs to the best record in the NFL and arguably the most complete team in the NFL, having the 2nd best season in his HOF career after the severity of his injuries, playing with a completely new cast and coaches is pretty impressive... but to each his own.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol I expected to come in here and see that people had come around on Peterson, because he is absolutely 100% the MVP at this point. It's not even close.

Look at what he did the last month, when the Vikings absolutely couldn't slip up even once if they wanted to make the playoffs. He had 651 yards in those games, averaging 5.7 yards per carry against 3 good teams (and the Rams, who are average)

A month ago I picked Manning to win it, but at this point it's not close. Who is the best team he's beaten this year? Baltimore? Cincinatti? They had 3 chances to beat an elite team this year and lost all three, and it took late comebacks to make the scores look respectable.

People get so caught up with quarterback being the most valuable position, and they're right it is. That doesn't even remotely mean it's impossible for a running back to be more valuable. Peterson just had arguably the best season a RB has ever had, what Peyton has done this year is done on a regular basis.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Lol I expected to come in here and see that people had come around on Peterson, because he is absolutely 100% the MVP at this point. It's not even close.

Look at what he did the last month, when the Vikings absolutely couldn't slip up even once if they wanted to make the playoffs. He had 651 yards in those games, averaging 5.7 yards per carry against 3 good teams (and the Rams, who are average)

A month ago I picked Manning to win it, but at this point it's not close. Who is the best team he's beaten this year? Baltimore? Cincinatti? They had 3 chances to beat an elite team this year and lost all three, and it took late comebacks to make the scores look respectable.

People get so caught up with quarterback being the most valuable position, and they're right it is. That doesn't even remotely mean it's impossible for a running back to be more valuable. Peterson just had arguably the best season a RB has ever had, what Peyton has done this year is done on a regular basis.

Two issues...

1) DUDE sat out 18 months, his 3 losses were in the first five weeks of the season and was still learning the players and system as well as getting back into football shape. Since then he has been on fire and has won 11 straight.. A month ago you picked manning, but yet you are still trying to talk about his three losses? he had those a month ago...

2) Best season for a HB is debatable... he didnt break the rushing record and didnt come close to the total yardage mark, or Touchdown mark... THE ONLY thing that is mindblowing about his season is he was coming off an ACL and was able to do what he did.

But other HB's have had success after an ACL, NO OTHER QB has come back from loosing all feeling and nerve damage in his throwing arm... Manning coming back from his injury was far more impressive than a HB coming back from an ACL
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coming back from injury is hardly THE ONLY thing mind-blowing about 2,000 yard rushing season.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My final ballot (I don't have an official vote though):

1) Adrian Peterson
2) Peyton Manning
3) Aaron Rodgers
4) Tom Brady
5) Glenn Cofee
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Two issues...

1) DUDE sat out 18 months, his 3 losses were in the first five weeks of the season and was still learning the players and system as well as getting back into football shape. Since then he has been on fire and has won 11 straight.. A month ago you picked manning, but yet you are still trying to talk about his three losses? he had those a month ago...

2) Best season for a HB is debatable... he didnt break the rushing record and didnt come close to the total yardage mark, or Touchdown mark... THE ONLY thing that is mindblowing about his season is he was coming off an ACL and was able to do what he did.

But other HB's have had success after an ACL, NO OTHER QB has come back from loosing all feeling and nerve damage in his throwing arm... Manning coming back from his injury was far more impressive than a HB coming back from an ACL

Their comebacks are irrelevant, and in no way affected their value this year. Save that argument for CBPOY.

And if you're honestly going to try to argue that the only thing mindblowing about AD's season is that he came back from an injury I'm not even going to argue with you, because you are clearly deluded beyond repair.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
look, i have no problem with peyton not winning it (or not even getting a vote), but this is silly. they lost three early games to good teams, and they *did* make comebacks. it wasn't about making them 'look respectable'. they nearly came back to beat three very, very good teams after early turnovers created a hole that ended up being too deep to dig out of.

if we want to play that game, who's the best team peterson beat? houston, with his 86 yards/3.4 ypc and 0 tds? san francisco in an identically average performance? green bay is the only good team the vikings beat when he had a good day. it's a bad argument and it's beneath anyone who's been involved in this thread.

Mostly fair points. I just can't give Peyton credit for ALMOST coming back to win those games when a big reason that they were down in the first place was his mediocre to poor play.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Coming back from injury is hardly THE ONLY thing mind-blowing about 2,000 yard rushing season.
Sure I might have down played 2000 yards.. but he stated it was the best season EVER.. he didnt break any records but somehow that makes it the best season...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Sure I might have down played 2000 yards.. but he stated it was the best season EVER.. he didnt break any records but somehow that makes it the best season...

So having 30 carries less than Dickerson and 9 less yards makes it a worse season? Dickerson had 14 fumbles that year too, it really isn't even close.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Mostly fair points. I just can't give Peyton credit for ALMOST coming back to win those games when a big reason that they were down in the first place was his mediocre to poor play.
for how dominate Peterson's last month was.. go look at his start to this season... below average, 2 TD's in the first 6 weeks and only cracked 100 yards 1 time.... Dont try and manipulate Manning's ONLY three loses but fail to recognize Peterson didnt start off very well either....
Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

As I've said, I'm rooting for Peyton, and I still wouldn't be surprised if it is him, but it should be Peterson.

Broncos might have still won that division with Tebow. It was THAT awful.

Vikings finish below Lions with an average starting back.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
So having 30 carries less than Dickerson and 9 less yards makes it a worse season? Dickerson had 14 fumbles that year too, it really isn't even close.
9 yards shy of the Dickerson's Rushing yards record
195 yards shy of Chris Johnson's Total yardage record
16 Touchdowns shy of Ladainian Tomlinson's Touchdown record
.4 yard Shy of Jamaal Charles' Single season carry average record
870 yards shy of Marshall Faulk's Single season receiving yards record

Please show me what Peterson did to say he had the best year when he wasnt record setting ......
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
As I've said, I'm rooting for Peyton, and I still wouldn't be surprised if it is him, but it should be Peterson.

Broncos might have still won that division with Tebow. It was THAT awful.

Vikings finish below Lions with an average starting back.
The same Tebow that couldnt play over mark sanchez this year? that is pure speculation..

What we do know is Manning took the broncos to the #1 Record in the NFL and #1 seed in the AFC
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
9 yards shy of the Dickerson's Rushing yards record
195 yards shy of Chris Johnson's Total yardage record
16 Touchdowns shy of Ladainian Tomlinson's Touchdown record
.4 yard Shy of Jamaal Charles' Single season carry average record
870 yards shy of Marshall Faulk's Single season receiving yards record

Please show me what Peterson did to say he had the best year when he wasnt record setting ......
In today's super QB-driven league, he carried his below average QB to the playoffs. With help from the defense at times, Rudolph, Harvin for half the year, yes, but it was mostly him. He made a huge positive impact for the defense, keeping them fresh and off the field/changing field position. He made Ponder look tolerable at times and allowed for MANY, MANY short TD passes because the whole D looked at him in the red zone.

And he played his best down the stretch when the team made its run to the postseason.

Valuable.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J.J. Watt. As far as I'm concerned, he had the best season of any defensive lineman since we began tracking sacks. I don't care if he's not a quarterback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

So he carried his team to the playoffs.... Okay but again that doesnt automatically just give him the recognition of best season ever... because it was not in any fashion..

Usually a RECORD breaking season is considered the best... he did nothing of the sorts when it comes to breaking records