Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Eh, the Pats have had a pretty decent rivalry the last few years with the Ravens and I have seen a defense go from having Lewis be the heart and soul and the best player to him becoming the emotional leader but maybe the 4th or 5th guy who is schemed against. Suggs, Ngata and Reed all give opposing offenses more trouble than Lewis and recently Ladarius Webb had turned into a really good CB.

I don't see why we can't say that Lewis had become an above average player towards the end of his career.

I still think Ray Lewis outplays his position by league standards. So I agree he's at least above average. I just believe he's closer to the top ILB's in the league than he is to the middle. Or at least, he was over the last few years.

I mean part of the problem here is that we're using subjective measurements like "he's still good" or "he's above average" etc.

It's possible you and I see Ray Lewis in the same light, but we're just not conveying our message to each other correctly. Either way though, I think it's been pretty awesome watching Lewis play all this time, and it's a little bittersweet for me as a Bengals fan :)
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I still think Ray Lewis outplays his position by league standards. So I agree he's at least above average. I just believe he's closer to the top ILB's in the league than he is to the middle. Or at least, he was over the last few years.

I mean part of the problem here is that we're using subjective measurements like "he's still good" or "he's above average" etc.

It's possible you and I see Ray Lewis in the same light, but we're just not conveying our message to each other correctly. Either way though, I think it's been pretty awesome watching Lewis play all this time, and it's a little bittersweet for me as a Bengals fan :)
Yeah for sure. Watching Lewis play way back was unreal. People look at Willis and Bowman as the standard setters now for LBs but Ray could eat and **** them all day.

I don't think we are going to see a LB close to Ray for a very long time, if ever, and one reason is the game has changed to almost make the LB position a position of the past. Teams are almost now saying we will give you yards in the run game to stop the pass. That's why we see so many teams using multiple safeties these days and substituting LBs

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Shreckart
Rookie

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6H9o0lpvA

This play by Ray is still the play I think of when his name is called.
(*It doesn't let me embed videos on here for some reason, no idea why.)
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6H9o0lpvA

This play by Ray is still the play I think of when his name is called.
(*It doesn't let me embed videos on here for some reason, no idea why.)
You have to use the youtube tags.

[.youtube]GQ6H9o0lpvA[./youtube]

Just remove the periods.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a fan of a division rival, Iím not sad to see him hang up the pads. Lining across from No. 52 has been a chronic nightmare for over a decade.

That aside, heís a legitimate conversation starter in the discussion of the greatest middle linebackers of all-time. He was a dominant three-down linebacker and fearsome in all facets. His on-field impact is undeniable. But Iíll remember him even more for being the greatest leader Iíve ever seen from the sidelines. Forget quarterbacks. Lewis was the true embodiment of a field general. Iíve never seen someone elevate the level of their teammates on both sides of the ball on such a consistent basis. He was a constant source of inspiration to that franchise. His ďPissed Off For GreatnessĒ speech gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it.

As frustrating as heís been, Iím still glad to have witnessed the career of a legend.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im probably one of the few here old enough to remember watching Lawrence Taylor play. So Im fortunate to see probably to 2 best LBs to play the game in there prime.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has he said anything about getting involved in coaching of some sort? Not even at the NFL level, but I could easily see him get into high school coaching if he wanted, I've just long been curious of what he'd start to do after football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Im probably one of the few here old enough to remember watching Lawrence Taylor play. So Im fortunate to see probably to 2 best LBs to play the game in there prime.
Quoted for truth.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a sad day in football that I had hoped would never come. Hopefully the Ravens can let him go out on top

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there anyone who really thinks he isn't the greatest MLB of all time?
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Butkis, Lambert, Singletary,and Lewis all could have arguments made for them. The point Lewis has that the rest don't is that he is the face of the franchise, more so than the others were.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Its really hard to argue against.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Butkis, Lambert, Singletary,and Lewis all could have arguments made for them. The point Lewis has that the rest don't is that he is the face of the franchise, more so than the others were.
Superbowl mvp
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fantastic player but I've always disliked him. I personally can't overlook his involvement in a murder, but I give credit to Lewis for making sure a lot of people have forgotten that (largely by him staying out of trouble the rest of his career).
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Same here.
Just a question - if Ray is a first ballot HOF (he deserves to be), shouldn't London Fletcher get some HOF consideration? His career stats and longevity are very similar to Ray's.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_draft_fan View Post
Same here.
Just a question - if Ray is a first ballot HOF (he deserves to be), shouldn't London Fletcher get some HOF consideration? His career stats and longevity are very similar to Ray's.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Got a real explanation or just a smart ass gif.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Fantastic player but I've always disliked him. I personally can't overlook his involvement in a murder, but I give credit to Lewis for making sure a lot of people have forgotten that (largely by him staying out of trouble the rest of his career).
Pretty much this. He's an amazing football player and demands the respect of his peers for his on the field efforts. That being said I can't celebrate him for the exact reason you stated.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Same here.
I don't think Fletcher ever had that All Pro season though. He's been good for a long time, but how many years was he great?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I don't think Fletcher ever had that All Pro season though. He's been good for a long time, but how many years was he great?
I believe he made the pro bowl a season or two ago. You have a fair point in that he has never been perceived as great.
However, we all know that pro bowls are mainly popularity contests. Also, Ray is much more vocal and more of a self-promoter for lack of a better term. London goes about his business in a much more quiet fashion.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Half of me expects the franchise to just be gone with Ray Lewis gone. I can't think of another player that represents an entire franchise like Ray does. A sad day for football.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe he made the pro bowl a season or two ago. You have a fair point in that he has never been perceived as great.
However, we all know that pro bowls are mainly popularity contests. Also, Ray is much more vocal and more of a self-promoter for lack of a better term. London goes about his business in a much more quiet fashion.
Ray Lewis has been THE leader and many years the top performer for a defensive unit that has almost two decades of elite play.

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Same here.
There's a stark difference between Greatness and Reliability.

That is the comparison between Ray Lewis and London Fletcher.

Ray defined the standard to which the position will forever more be defined, following in the footsteps of previous great MLB's mentioned previously. London Fletcher was very good at his job for many, many years.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right, but I'm talking about All Pro, not the Pro Bowl. And yes, Ray Lewis is much more vocal.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-join-espn/

Ray set to join ESPN next year.