Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

IL DUCE hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Well Moore certainly didn't get me interested in him at all.
Watch every game he played this year and you will be interested...even though last night was a quiet game for him he still had a positive impact getting QB pressures and making plays in the run game...and I have that offsides penalty recorded, he was not offsides he just timed his jump so well that it looked like he was offsides because he came off the ball as soon as the center began his snap...and he destroyed the RG & RT that were trying to double team him...so yeah, there's a reason they called him DAMONSTER!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since I could not complete the 1st round mock due to a lack of quarterback quality, I go with Jets only mock here.

1.9 ----> 1.14 - WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson.

Jets traded down to 14th overall section in order to get #107(4th round) and next year's 2nd round pick. Since Panthers don't have this year's 3rd round pick, the value of it will convert into next year's 2nd round.
The trade allowed Panthers to land DT Johnathan Hankins. Jets got a legit WR aboard. It is risky to count on Hill's ACL/Development and Holmes' ACL/whining situations.

2. OLB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss.

He is similar to Dion Jordan but smaller. Coverage, run defender, edge speed. He will need to bulk up to get strength against OL. For now, he will be used as edge speed with passive drop back into coverage.

3. OLB Travis Long, Washington State.

Despite one year as OLB in 3-4 for Mike Leach, he looks a part of it. He is more of relentless player than tempo up speed. He could be a mix of Brooks Reed and Shaun Phillips. He may be a perfect ideal for Bryan Thomas' permanent replacement.

4. LG Brian Winters, Kent State.

I still think he is a 2nd rounder but I expect qb frenzy in 2nd round and athleticism frenzy in 3rd round will push decent OL further. He is excellent at run blocking. He is sound at pass protection but he may not be quick enough to handle speedy pass rusher. LG is perfect spot for Winters.

4. (Panthers). SS Duke Williams, Nevada.

Let me assume Jets will keep Bell over Landry due to tighter budget. Williams offers better LaRon Landry skill set with good coverage. Williams should be a good long fixture for SS with Josh Bush at FS.

5. QB Ryan Radcliff, Central Michigan.

There is no clear cut NFL prodigy in the qb class this year so why should we gamble higher pick on one. Radcliff has good arm strength and is capable to throw deep and into a spot instead of waiting for WR to make eye contact with him. He lacks of NFL footwork, NFL defense read and playing against legit defense. I can see him beat Greg McElroy for number 3. He is UDFA projection but his arm strength alone will make him draftable with Sean Renfree out due to chest surgery that knocks him out for a half of this year.

6. RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska.

Shonn Greene is not coming back as of right now. Burkhead should replace him perfectly. He has good burst and quickness for 10 yards. He is able to wheel out. The rest of him is an ideal for a stud as FB.

7. RB George Winn, Cincinnati.

Another RB? Why not. I am not sold on Bilial Powell as a starting caliber. Powell, Burkhead and Winn share duties until it becomes clearer. He looks a legit runningback but I am not sure why he is not a draftable prospect at this moment. I get him in 7th round to bolster the depth. That is all I care about.

UDFA-

TE Ben Cotton, Nebraska.
K Zach Brown, Portland State or whoever available.
OL LaAdrian Waddle, Texas Tech.
OLB John Youboty, Temple.

EDIT: If you must know... Jets would have enough ammo to trade up for Terry Bridgewater(if he improved his accuracy under duress and forgo for NFL next season). 2014's 1st, 2 2nds and 2015's 1st should be juicy enough to trade up for number one selection. That way Jets don't have to suck for Bridgewater prematurely.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 01-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL DUCE View Post
Watch every game he played this year and you will be interested...even though last night was a quiet game for him he still had a positive impact getting QB pressures and making plays in the run game...and I have that offsides penalty recorded, he was not offsides he just timed his jump so well that it looked like he was offsides because he came off the ball as soon as the center began his snap...and he destroyed the RG & RT that were trying to double team him...so yeah, there's a reason they called him DAMONSTER!

Did he play against Lane Johnson? Johnson could help himself into 1st round consideration if he handled Moore well.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Did he play against Lane Johnson? Johnson could help himself into 1st round consideration if he handled Moore well.
He was against Lane Johnson some times, since Moore played both right end & left end in the game...but mostly I saw Moore at left end playing against Oklahoma's right tackle...Lane Johnson did have a pretty good game as far as I could tell though
Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
Since I could not complete the 1st round mock due to a lack of quarterback quality, I go with Jets only mock here.

Jets traded down to 14th overall section in order to get #107(4th round) and next year's 2nd round pick. Since Panthers don't have this year's 3rd round pick, the value of it will convert into next year's 2nd round.
The trade allowed Panthers to land DT Johnathan Hankins. Jets got a legit WR aboard. It is risky to count on Hill's ACL/Development and Holmes' ACL/whining situations.

I thought you wanted the Jets to take Mike Glennon 9th overall?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought you wanted the Jets to take Mike Glennon 9th overall?

Nah... I just fooled around.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Incorrect, Collin Klein is another Tim Tebow...Manziel is on an entirely different level...if you watched the Cotton Bowl last night he throws MUCH better than Tebow, probably not as strong as an arm as Vick but definitely more accurate...and he is WAAAY faster and WAY more shifty than Tebow ever was, he's probably a notch below Vick but he's probably on the same speed level as RG3 or maybe a tiny bit slower...

I do agree though, I like Kevin Hogan and would love for us to take him, and if we get someone like Alex Smith or whoever to fill the gap for a couple of years I'd be 100% on board with Hogan in 2015-16...
Manziel really isn't that fast, trust me if the combine were tomorrow his athleticism would likely not even be as good as Andrew Luck. Regardless, I wasnt making a comparison to Tebow, more using Tebow as an example of a guy who was athletic enough to crush at the college level and had an arm that was decent enough to win a Heisman but sucks in the NFL. They're obviously much different players, but if anything Tebow's better size is more important than Manziel's better arm. I'm sure theres a chance that Manziel will be good in the NFL, but I wouldn't consider it a good one and whoever takes him is taking on a very huge bust risk.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

2. OLB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss.

He is similar to Dion Jordan but smaller. Coverage, run defender, edge speed. He will need to bulk up to get strength against OL. For now, he will be used as edge speed with passive drop back into coverage.

3. OLB Travis Long, Washington State.

Despite one year as OLB in 3-4 for Mike Leach, he looks a part of it. He is more of relentless player than tempo up speed. He could be a mix of Brooks Reed and Shaun Phillips. He may be a perfect ideal for Bryan Thomas' permanent replacement.

4. LG Brian Winters, Kent State.

I still think he is a 2nd rounder but I expect qb frenzy in 2nd round and athleticism frenzy in 3rd round will push decent OL further. He is excellent at run blocking. He is sound at pass protection but he may not be quick enough to handle speedy pass rusher. LG is perfect spot for Winters.

4. (Panthers). SS Duke Williams, Nevada.

Let me assume Jets will keep Bell over Landry due to tighter budget. Williams offers better LaRon Landry skill set with good coverage. Williams should be a good long fixture for SS with Josh Bush at FS.

5. QB Ryan Radcliff, Central Michigan.

There is no clear cut NFL prodigy in the qb class this year so why should we gamble higher pick on one. Radcliff has good arm strength and is capable to throw deep and into a spot instead of waiting for WR to make eye contact with him. He lacks of NFL footwork, NFL defense read and playing against legit defense. I can see him beat Greg McElroy for number 3. He is UDFA projection but his arm strength alone will make him draftable with Sean Renfree out due to chest surgery that knocks him out for a half of this year.

6. RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska.

Shonn Greene is not coming back as of right now. Burkhead should replace him perfectly. He has good burst and quickness for 10 yards. He is able to wheel out. The rest of him is an ideal for a stud as FB.

7. RB George Winn, Cincinnati.

Another RB? Why not. I am not sold on Bilial Powell as a starting caliber. Powell, Burkhead and Winn share duties until it becomes clearer. He looks a legit runningback but I am not sure why he is not a draftable prospect at this moment. I get him in 7th round to bolster the depth. That is all I care about.

UDFA-

TE Ben Cotton, Nebraska.
K Zach Brown, Portland State or whoever available.
OL LaAdrian Waddle, Texas Tech.
OLB John Youboty, Temple.

EDIT: If you must know... Jets would have enough ammo to trade up for Terry Bridgewater(if he improved his accuracy under duress and forgo for NFL next season). 2014's 1st, 2 2nds and 2015's 1st should be juicy enough to trade up for number one selection. That way Jets don't have to suck for Bridgewater prematurely.

Sweet, we ignore all of our needs to take a WR. A reach at that.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Manziel really isn't that fast, trust me if the combine were tomorrow his athleticism would likely not even be as good as Andrew Luck. Regardless, I wasnt making a comparison to Tebow, more using Tebow as an example of a guy who was athletic enough to crush at the college level and had an arm that was decent enough to win a Heisman but sucks in the NFL. They're obviously much different players, but if anything Tebow's better size is more important than Manziel's better arm. I'm sure theres a chance that Manziel will be good in the NFL, but I wouldn't consider it a good one and whoever takes him is taking on a very huge bust risk.
Yeah I just don't see the terrible throwing motion from Manziel that Tebow had (and Collin Klein also has)...also watching him last night in the Cotton Bowl where Tebow would break free on broken plays and roll over people, Manziel looked like a running back making people miss and running through small spaces...I think he has at least as much athleticism as Russell Wilson, so maybe that's a more appropriate comparison
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I just don't see the terrible throwing motion from Manziel that Tebow had (and Collin Klein also has)...also watching him last night in the Cotton Bowl where Tebow would break free on broken plays and roll over people, Manziel looked like a running back making people miss and running through small spaces...I think he has at least as much athleticism as Russell Wilson, so maybe that's a more appropriate comparison
Keep in mind he weighs about 40 lbs less than Russell Wilson though.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sweet, we ignore all of our needs to take a WR. A reach at that.

WR is kind of a need. Hopkins is not a reach in the first round.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
WR is kind of a need. Hopkins is not a reach in the first round.
Wr isn't a need. Holmes hill and Kerley are locked in next year. We currently need 2 OLB 2 G 1 RB 1-2 TE 1 RT 2 S, we can't afford to use picks on positions other than those
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wr isn't a need. Holmes hill and Kerley are locked in next year. We currently need 2 OLB 2 G 1 RB 1-2 TE 1 RT 2 S, we can't afford to use picks on positions other than those

In my mock

2 OLB- checked.
2 G- One downed with with few in house choices for RG.
1-2 TE- checked.
1 RB- checked.
1 RT- checked.
2 S- One downed.

That is all without free agency. What is your point?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
Keep in mind he weighs about 40 lbs less than Russell Wilson though.
40 lbs less than Russell Wilson?

Russell Wilson - 5'11" 205 lbs

Johnny Manziel - 6'0" (listed 6'1") 200 lbs
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

I would like to see the Jets do something like this:

Round 1 - Damontre Moore (OLB/DE, Texas A&M)
Round 2 - Eric Reid (S, LSU)
Round 3 - Zac Dysert (QB, Miami of Ohio)
Round 4 - Travis Kelce (TE, Cincinnati)

Of course you can mix running back or maybe a WR into the 2-4 rounds but we could probably get a guy like Knile Davis, Christine Michael or Spencer Ware in the 5th to fill some RB depth, I really just would like them to take a stud pass rusher in the 1st and then focus on needs like OG, OT, RB, WR, TE, QB & S in the rest of the draft...also would like us to sign a nice UDFA FB and maybe look at a guy like Dustin Hopkins as a kicker in the 6th or 7th

Also wouldn't mind if we took either Gabe Jackson or Alvin Bailey in rounds 3-4 to fill a huge hole @ OG
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://www.recordpub.com/sports/2013...-com-bowl.html

Zero chance that he will fall into 4th round. Shame on me.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would like to see the Jets do something like this:

Round 1 - Damontre Moore (OLB/DE, Texas A&M)
Round 2 - Eric Reid (S, LSU)
Round 3 - Zac Dysert (QB, Miami of Ohio)
Round 4 - Travis Kelce (TE, Cincinnati)

Of course you can mix running back or maybe a WR into the 2-4 rounds but we could probably get a guy like Knile Davis, Christine Michael or Spencer Ware in the 5th to fill some RB depth, I really just would like them to take a stud pass rusher in the 1st and then focus on needs like OG, OT, RB, WR, TE, QB & S in the rest of the draft...also would like us to sign a nice UDFA FB and maybe look at a guy like Dustin Hopkins as a kicker in the 6th or 7th

Also wouldn't mind if we took either Gabe Jackson or Alvin Bailey in rounds 3-4 to fill a huge hole @ OG

I am kind of bittersweet to watch Travis Kelce continue shooting up the draft board.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Yeah he could go as high as the 3rd round...he is good at blocking and both receiving though...I'd love Dion Sims also in the 3rd or 4th round

We can definitely fill a lot of holes in this draft if we draft right...good OGs, TEs, RBs, WRs, QBs, safties all to be had in different rounds...still think we need to take best rush LB available in the 1st though, need our own D-Ware type player
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
In my mock

2 OLB- checked.
2 G- One downed with with few in house choices for RG.
1-2 TE- checked.
1 RB- checked.
1 RT- checked.
2 S- One downed.

That is all without free agency. What is your point?
My point is there is 0% chance they take a wr in the first. It's not a need and there won't be a wr that is BPA so it makes no sense whatsoever. How would Hopkins be BPA even if we trade back to 14?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think an argument could be made for taking a WR in round one if they happened to be a clear BPA. That would be completely shocking based on everything we know at this point in terms of who's in the draft, though. And I think from a positional perspective there are clearly larger needs at most other positions.

Provided we bring in Gamble as expected I'm expecting a pass rusher in the first round and a QB somewhere on day 2. We'll see what happens though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 PM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think an argument could be made for taking a WR in round one if they happened to be a clear BPA. That would be completely shocking based on everything we know at this point in terms of who's in the draft, though. And I think from a positional perspective there are clearly larger needs at most other positions.

Provided we bring in Gamble as expected I'm expecting a pass rusher in the first round and a QB somewhere on day 2. We'll see what happens though.
Agreed, but if we somehow get Alex Smith and have an OC like Norv Turner that fits his style I could see us focusing on filling other holes other than QB on Day 2
Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we don't get Alex Smith. Not sure how much that really helps.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
IL DUCE
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan but he's certainly better than Sanchez...Rex will want a stop-gap vet either way b/c he likely has to win in 2013 to keep his job...if we get Norv Turner, Alex Smith did well in his system plus I'm just doing dot connecting with the supposed Gamble hire...plus maybe we could send them Sanchez for Alex Smith and maybe send them a mid round pick or a player...

So unless Rex gets assurance that he doesnt have to win this year to keep his job we'll be signing either Matt Moore or Jason Campbell, or guys who need to be traded for or will likely be released like Alex Smith, Michael Vick or Matt Flynn...not saying I agree with these moves, but they are likely to occur
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
My point is there is 0% chance they take a wr in the first. It's not a need and there won't be a wr that is BPA so it makes no sense whatsoever. How would Hopkins be BPA even if we trade back to 14?

Calvin Pace could take a pay cut to remain with us. Bryan Thomas could take a vet minimum to remain working for Ryan. Defense has done just fine without pass rusher.

Santonio Holmes will be removed from the squad after 2013. Stephen Hill is far away from NFL ready. Jeremy Kerley serves the best at slot. Mark Sanchez and the pass offense haven't productive. Whoever is under center, he will need a 2 or 3 year stability in QB-WR relationship. Tannenbaum sabotaged this relationship with Sanchez in past.

Saying that WR is zero need is incorrect. Hopkins has shot to be first WO off the board. So thus, he could be BPA.

If you insist on spending the first round selection to fill a need then it is a quarterback. QB situation is by far worse than OLB situation before the off season kicks in.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I don't think 49ers will let Alex Smith walk. 2 reasons. Kaepernick is still unproven and few teams scream for qb solution or gap-stop with weak qb class for 2013 draft and free agency (after Joe Flacco).

However, if 49ers indeed release Smith then Jets should take him. He is already beyond the struggle stage and knows how to control the football better. Sanchez is stuck in the struggle stage and Jets have no wait time for him to get around and help Jets back to a playoff contender.