Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I won't touch Jarvis Jones until 4th or later round. He is slow, small and WIMP.

He has no room to bulk up.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Not much love for this class of pass rushers I see.
I will say though that Bjoern Werner's jump off the snap is pretty unreal. He could be amazing, but I was just worried because even though I think he's always been the better pass rushing prospect between him and Tank, the fact that teams had to deal with the both of them might have skewed the perception on him. And, I just really rarely have seen FSU defenders live up to the hype in the pros in recent years, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'll just have to see more of him.

This is all preliminary stuff though. I'm sure everything will be much more fine-tuned closer to the draft...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I won't touch Jarvis Jones until 4th or later round. He is slow, small and WIMP.

He has no room to bulk up.
Thank God you're not in the Jets decision room in any form whatsoever.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think at this point barring a trade down the first pick is going to be a pass rusher, a QB, or an offensive tackle. Think that's the most likely to least likely of the three. Based on needs and where value seems to be at this point I just can't think of another spot that they go with. Obviously a lot can change at this point. I don't think tackle's a likely move either, but kind of a dark horse possibility.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think at this point barring a trade down the first pick is going to be a pass rusher, a QB, or an offensive tackle. Think that's the most likely to least likely of the three. Based on needs and where value seems to be at this point I just can't think of another spot that they go with. Obviously a lot can change at this point. I don't think tackle's a likely move either, but kind of a dark horse possibility.
We're on the hook for a LOT of guaranteed money in D'Brickashaw's contract and you don't draft RTs in the top 10. Pass rusher or QB are basically the only positions they can go at 9, barring a trade.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
We're on the hook for a LOT of guaranteed money in D'Brickashaw's contract and you don't draft RTs in the top 10. Pass rusher or QB are basically the only positions they can go at 9, barring a trade.
Things have kind of changed from the old school of thought with the rookie contract scaling, though. Now it's much more reasonable to take virtually any position at that point. Still sort of unlikely that they do (though I think they should heavily consider it), but I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thank God you're not in the Jets decision room in any form whatsoever.

Same to you.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think it's likely at all, but as TTGS pointed out with the rookie cap it's not a ton of money tied up in the position so I think it's possible. Slim chance, but better than the rest of the positions on the team - it's a need and there will be tackles taken in the top 10 this year. I would still be very surprised if it's any position besides pass rusher or QB.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Things have kind of changed from the old school of thought with the rookie contract scaling, though. Now it's much more reasonable to take virtually any position at that point. Still sort of unlikely that they do (though I think they should heavily consider it), but I wouldn't rule it out.
Rookie scale may prevent the ridiculous ransom from top 10 prospects but the value of position has not changed this quick.

49ers only did it so far I know.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Who are three prospects that would make your draft day?

Right now, I would say Johnathan Cooper, Zach Ertz, and John Simon.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets are basically in a rebuilding mode...too much cap...they may end up being the worst team in football this year. Too much turmoil
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm somewhat torn on how to start the rebuild. Not sure if I'd rather they take a shot on a franchise QB or just bolster the front 7 and offensive line this year.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Borrowing Billy Beane for one season. LOL. I just watched Moneyball.

Anyways, as everyone knows that Mark Sanchez will start for us again in 2013 season, as long as Rex Ryan's future is in the muddle, I can't see Jets taking franchise qb in the first round. However, it is all depend on who is GM.

-GM without strong background may go after versatile prospects. That way top prospects can play any schemes for this year and next year.

-GM that keeps system may go after fittable prospects.

-GM with WCO/4-3 background may go after prospects for future.

Personally, I like one who keeps the system because I could not wait until next year to change the system.

If Gm is happening to be hailed from WCO/4-3 system then Jets will have to trade down from 9th overall selection twice or thrice to get a bunch of picks. That way, GM could use first 4 rounds for future and the rest of the draft would be chosen by Rex Ryan. 5th round and later is technically practice squadders so it is better to let Ryan takes his men to play a specific roles for him during rookie season.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Crap.... Nathan Stanley's hand size is shorter than 9 inches. He has strong arm but he spins westward instead of southward. He is one of few qbs I have eyed on as a development qb over Greg McElroy.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

The more I watch of Gio Bernard, the more I fall in love with him. Also, the more I realize while Cooper is a great athlete and pretty good Guard, he isn't a great one. Probably not necessarily worthy of an early first rounder. As of now, my top 3 for us (not necessarily in the 1st) would be Gio Bernard, Cordarrelle Patterson, and John Simon.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I do love Gio Bernard as well, my only concern with him is the medical. He's awesome though.

Patterson's an interesting name to bring up. On one hand I don't think WR is a need for 2013. But on the other hand if we're going with a two plus year rebuild he's got big time potential, would be an excellent complement to Hill long-term, and the offense desperately needs playmakers.

If they make a pick like that in the first it will be quite obvious that the GM isn't drafting to help save Rex's job...which I wouldn't mind. Probably the only way to draft offense in the first round unless they trade down or like a QB, and as much as we all want a pass rusher and a real QB the offense is the real problem and this QB class is highly questionable.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I do love Gio Bernard as well, my only concern with him is the medical. He's awesome though.

Patterson's an interesting name to bring up. On one hand I don't think WR is a need for 2013. But on the other hand if we're going with a two plus year rebuild he's got big time potential, would be an excellent complement to Hill long-term, and the offense desperately needs playmakers.

If they make a pick like that in the first it will be quite obvious that the GM isn't drafting to help save Rex's job...which I wouldn't mind. Probably the only way to draft offense in the first round unless they trade down or like a QB, and as much as we all want a pass rusher and a real QB the offense is the real problem and this QB class is highly questionable.
I think what has gotten the Jets into trouble before is the short-sightedness of believing everything hinges on what happens that year. WR, to me, is just as much of a need as anything else. Kerley is truly a slot receiver. Hill did not necessarily instill any confidence. If it were possible, Holmes might be cut by now. Plus, if we're looking for an attacking style with explosiveness and unpredictability, who exactly of those guys makes you think of any of that? If I were them, I would be looking for guys at every skill position.

Could you tell me the medical history of Bernard? I was unaware he had an injury history. It's kind of hard to project with those guys though who will stay healthy. I also like Gillislee and Franklin, as those are other speedsters that feature well-rounded skill-sets. With RB, WR, and even TE, there are a lot of options that fit what it appears like we are interested in, so to me it would just be about finding the right fit at the right pick (and, of course, balancing that out with our tremendous amount of other needs).

The only positions I wouldn't consider drafting, unless we saw an influx of picks, would be FB, C, DT, CB, S, P, and K. But, I wouldn't touch QB. Based off of my personal opinion, there could be at least 5 QBs coming out next year that I believe are better than every one in this class.

Also, one thing to think about is that if we do bring aboard Idzik, we might just see Flynn as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

The words around had that Gio Bernard's knee may be more damaging than we thought. He looked good for now but in long term, we don't know for sure.

The way I see if Jets did not do anything creatively.

LG, RG, OLB, OLB, SS, FS are immediately needs for starting duty.

QB, WR, CB, CB are needs as backup plan for 2014.

Obviously, we can't fill all holes with one draft.

If we postpone QB need then we could do the same way to WR because we may have different OC for 2014 if Rex Ryan is gone. Cross WR and QB.

Revis is dealing with new contract. Cromartie may be a cap casualty for 2014. Jets could draft one CB for now. CB need.

Jets could bring Bell back for another season at afford price. Cross SS.

LG can be found in 2nd round. Leave RG to late rounder, UDFA or Ducasse. Cross RG. LG need.

CB, LG, OLB, OLB are the most pressing needs for 2013 draft. Say, OLB, LG, CB, OLB for first 4 rounds. Next 3 could be RB, TE, FS. I can live with it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I think what has gotten the Jets into trouble before is the short-sightedness of believing everything hinges on what happens that year. WR, to me, is just as much of a need as anything else. Kerley is truly a slot receiver. Hill did not necessarily instill any confidence. If it were possible, Holmes might be cut by now. Plus, if we're looking for an attacking style with explosiveness and unpredictability, who exactly of those guys makes you think of any of that? If I were them, I would be looking for guys at every skill position.

Could you tell me the medical history of Bernard? I was unaware he had an injury history. It's kind of hard to project with those guys though who will stay healthy. I also like Gillislee and Franklin, as those are other speedsters that feature well-rounded skill-sets. With RB, WR, and even TE, there are a lot of options that fit what it appears like we are interested in, so to me it would just be about finding the right fit at the right pick (and, of course, balancing that out with our tremendous amount of other needs).

The only positions I wouldn't consider drafting, unless we saw an influx of picks, would be FB, C, DT, CB, S, P, and K. But, I wouldn't touch QB. Based off of my personal opinion, there could be at least 5 QBs coming out next year that I believe are better than every one in this class.

Also, one thing to think about is that if we do bring aboard Idzik, we might just see Flynn as well.
Kind of agreed on not thinking enough into the future. I do think that they haven't tried to really rebuild, but I don't think they tended to draft for need early. Generally they just draft poorly. Last year they didn't really draft for an immediate need with Coples, the year before that I'd argue Wilkerson was the BPA and the draft was before FA though he did fit a need, Wilson wasn't really a need pick either. I think we as fans generally assume they're going to draft for need more than they do, but that hasn't been a huge issue. I think the larger problem has been trading away picks and missing on others.

On Patterson I do think he would make sense in some ways. He could be BPA at #9 as well, kind of depends if there's a pass rusher worth taking left at that point. If you can get a Percy Harvin type of player it goes a long way towards having a functional offense. Get the ball into his hands short, hand offs, be creative, but let him develop as well. He can get deep some too and flashed abilities to catch the ball over the middle and in the intermediate area. Could be a really well rounded, star offensive player. Across from him if Hill develops he would be able to stretch the field and get deep from time to time as a number two. I do think that they should take offensive talent where they can get it, but finding a legit quarterback would go a long, long way.

Bernard I believe had knee injuries in high school that kind of came back in college. Redshirted due to a torn ACL which is why he's eligible despite being a sophomore and missed some games due to an injury this year. There's been a lot of smoke that his medical could be a serious issue for teams. We'll see. There's a ton of potential upgrades at RB in this draft for the Jets though. I like Joseph Randle a lot, would add a bunch of explosiveness. Mid-round guys like Robbie Rouse and Ray Graham could do some things, there's a bunch of other options too. I'd imagine they'll add someone at some point in the draft, and wouldn't be surprised if that guy started.

Flynn is definitely a possibility too, wonder what his cap number is like.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Ah. That's a bummer about Bernard. He might have a short career then. I'm on board with your boy Randle though. He seems like he could be a good one, at least as a compliment to Powell. I am worried about his lean frame, but he seems like a tough guy.

I particularly liked this interview, where he proves to be the sort of guy I think every club should want, but especially ours:

All the RBs come with their fair share of question marks. I will say though that watching them all, if it isn't Bernard, Ray Graham is probably the most impressive RB in this class. He might even just flat out be the best. There's some things he does that are just outstanding. But he has quite the injury history himself. It's funny no one is really talking about Ball. Despite all the question marks, this is an impressive class with a lot of high-profile guys, so it would just be a question of finding the right one, but there are surely going to be some steals in that 2nd-4th round range.

Oddly enough, it would seem that at all the impact positions (RB, WR, TE, OLB) there appears to be a lot of explosive talent, which would lead you to believe that those would be the areas in the draft where we would at least want to dig to find steals in the middle rounds. Maybe use the 1st rounder (with the trade down always prayed for) on the O-Line. If it were up to me, blindly following a set order, I would go something like OG, OLB, RB, WR, and then TE.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I love Randle's explosiveness. Think he could be a Jamaal Charles type guy if everything breaks right. Have Powell in the backfield to take carries and don't give him a huge load, but the way the league is right now I think to justify handing the ball off consistently you almost need to have a game breaker. He's also good out of the backfield and good in pass pro which are awesome traits to have. I'm at work so I can't see the interview, but I'll definitely catch that later.

I kind of like that order, I think they can find that RB even later than the third round, though. Not sure OLB value will be good in the second either, and I'm not sure the team can afford to take a guard in the top 10. If they don't go pass rusher, quarterback, or maybe Patterson I think they have to move down.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I just can't seem to find a pass rusher I like of those top guys, but I'll do more researching. It's just really hard to project a 3-4 LB. Most of them though, to me, just weren't that impressive, of the guys being talked about. Jones was the only one that really ever flashed. The others didn't do much for me. But I'll look into Moore, Werner, Jordan, Okafor, and the LSU pair a little closer.

EDIT: One guy to maybe keep an eye on is David Bass for a later round. Apparently he's been too fast for everyone there at the East/West practices. And on a different front, maybe also look at S Cooper Taylor.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
I just can't seem to find a pass rusher I like of those top guys, but I'll do more researching. It's just really hard to project a 3-4 LB. Most of them though, to me, just weren't that impressive, of the guys being talked about. Jones was the only one that really ever flashed. The others didn't do much for me. But I'll look into Moore, Werner, Jordan, Okafor, and the LSU pair a little closer.

EDIT: One guy to maybe keep an eye on is David Bass for a later round. Apparently he's been too fast for everyone there at the East/West practices. And on a different front, maybe also look at S Cooper Taylor.
What tape were you watching to not like what you saw from Damontre Moore? I've been in love with the guy since early last year, he's an absolute animal I'd love for him to be there at 9th. Mingo and Jordan could both be huge busts, just super athletes that need work. Werner wouldn't really fit as a 3-4 LB but luckily he's projected to be the first rusher off the board.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What tape were you watching to not like what you saw from Damontre Moore? I've been in love with the guy since early last year, he's an absolute animal I'd love for him to be there at 9th. Mingo and Jordan could both be huge busts, just super athletes that need work. Werner wouldn't really fit as a 3-4 LB but luckily he's projected to be the first rusher off the board.
I'm not really sure. I was wrong. He looks, without question, the best on tape. I guess I was mostly turned off by the perceived motor questions that I had heard about, but the effort this year seems pretty clear and the A&M coaches even said he was noted for his effort. However, it is a bit troubling hearing early on in his career there that Von Miller had to motivate him to play. But maybe he's a changed man. There does appear to be something off about him though. And listening to him talk, he doesn't sound all too smart. But that stuff might not be a problem, so long as he keeps the effort up. I will say though that if he checks out, and because he will be impressive at the combine, he won't be there at our pick. That was part of the issue I took with going OLB in the 1st in the first place. There's possibly now four 3-4 teams in front of us, and so even if there were two top 3-4 OLB prospects there, they would almost assuredly be taken.

As a side-note, Jarvis Jones may be good at rushing the passer, but he doesn't seem very good at doing anything else. Provided he's healthy, though, he still might fit the bill for being an elite pass rusher. Not quite sure though. On the field, he doesn't seem all too smart. But, maybe all of this, plus some medical question marks, will send him right into the Jets' arms, where Rex can coach him into a beast...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

On a different front, if we have to take a mid-round QB to develop, I wouldn't be opposed to Colby Cameron. He only started for one full year, but I like his poise, I like his athleticism, and I think he has the arm to make any throw. If he came along with his top guy, Quinton Patton, that would be even better.