Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Why not just hire Lovie Smith?

I think Lovie is a hell of a DC. And he's not ancient. And if you want turnovers, who better to teach your defense how to get them than Lovie Smith?
my #1 choice if we lose Zimmer

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
lee has better instincts and played mlb at penn state that where he is best, carter was the will backer in college. lee might be the best zone drop linebacker in nfl in ur running a tampa 2 your gonna wanna guy who's a great getting depth to cover the middle third
Carter played mlb plenty at UNC. He wasn't strictly a WLB if that's what you're trying to infer. Lee has great zone instincts no doubt, but Carter has more natural cover skills...speed, hips, change of direction. The real beauty of it is that they are basically interchangeable, so our DC can be creative with them. I guess that's the bottom line thought. Lee and Carter can play any LB position.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Carter played mlb plenty at UNC. He wasn't strictly a WLB if that's what you're trying to infer. Lee has great zone instincts no doubt, but Carter has more natural cover skills...speed, hips, change of direction. The real beauty of it is that they are basically interchangeable, so our DC can be creative with them. I guess that's the bottom line thought. Lee and Carter can play any LB position.
The fact that both can drop or play underneath or blitz makes me think a Spagnuolo or Mike Zimmer defense is perfect for you guys. You can really confuse protection schemes with lining both in the A gap and dropping them or rushing them in various ways.

Zimmer would have a field day with those 2 guys in his nickel package.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think Lovie is a hell of a DC. And he's not ancient. And if you want turnovers, who better to teach your defense how to get them than Lovie Smith?
he wants to be a hc and he's been interveiwing for alot other hc jobs
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think he's hoping for a HC job honestly. For a guy who's been HC so long, it must be hard to go back to DC.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The fact that both can drop or play underneath or blitz makes me think a Spagnuolo or Mike Zimmer defense is perfect for you guys. You can really confuse protection schemes with lining both in the A gap and dropping them or rushing them in various ways.

Zimmer would have a field day with those 2 guys in his nickel package.
isnt spagnulo under contract? and zimmer is a good coach but he runs alot basic looks, in this division i don'tthink you can't just lineup and play the same schemes all time the qbs are too good. we dont have geno atkins in the middle of the defense. plus he's not cincinati to just be another d-coordinator he wants to be a head coach and i dont see him leaving cincinati unless he gets a head coaching job
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
and his son is an idiot, but he should have been fired anyway

espn dallas has been reporting kiffin has been the lead guy partly because he would accept working under a 1year contract and he desperately want to get back in the league.
touche, his son IS an idiot. Monte got schooled though. No if ands or buts about that.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
isnt spagnulo under contract? and zimmer is a good coach but he runs alot basic looks, in this division i don'tthink you can't just lineup and play the same schemes all time the qbs are too good. we dont have geno atkins in the middle of the defense
Forget about Zimmer unless it's as HC of the Cowboys.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea, I'm sure Lee could pull it off but Carter's skillset makes him a better fit. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Bruce carrying slot receivers vertical than I would Sean Lee.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
What about Church to LB? He seems like a prime candidate to make that S to LB switch Monte has done in the past.
he's also coming off a major injury i wouldnt count on him to play safety or linebacker
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yea, I'm sure Lee could pull it off but Carter's skillset makes him a better fit. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Bruce carrying slot receivers vertical than I would Sean Lee.
Yup. Same page brother.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Forget about Zimmer unless it's as HC of the Cowboys.
i edited that in i guess u already quoted me before i finished
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Yup. Same page brother.
carter is the better athlete but lee aint no slouch and he proven that he can make plays in that situation just ask mark sanchez, rex grossman and the great tom brady
Old 01-10-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he's also coming off a major injury i wouldnt count on him to play safety or linebacker
True, hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
carter is the better athlete but lee aint no slouch and he proven that he can make plays in that situation just ask mark sanchez, rex grossman and the great tom brady
Yea, he could pull it off. We're splitting hairs between the two, I think D and I just like Bruce's range a little more.

I'm not worried at all about our LBs making the switch, they'll be fine... it's the DL where we'd need the most work.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Yea, he could pull it off. We're splitting hairs between the two, I think D and I just like Bruce's range a little more.

I'm not worried at all about our LBs making the switch, it's the DL where we'd need the most work.
i think just lee is a better mlb than carter would be and if when we do go man carter cover te's and backs better than lee can as the olb

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 01-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

now that tampa 2 is coming to dallas what are ya'll thoughts on anthony spencer returning should we resign or should let him go and use the money to address the o-line. if we do i would target andre smith of cincy and move him to right guard like we did with davis he'll be 26 next year and we'll more productive seasons out of him than what we did with big leonard
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You gotta get it out of your head that one guy will/can only play one position.

On Church, I agree Finisher, he could provide another option at LB in certain subpackages. The ability to counter what the offense is doing or force the offense into doing something they are not comfortable doing is the main key. Throwing different looks and different packages out there is effective when you have players who are versatile enough to be used different ways. I think that's the one important thing I've got to wrap my head around when looking at draft prospects. I can't look at "cookie cutter" prototypes. High in the draft, you want versatility...guys who can do it all. Low in the draft, you want specialists... guys that maybe can't do it all, but they can do one particular thing pretty damn well, where you can use them in subpackages or certain situations to give your defense another look.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
now that tampa 2 is coming to dallas what are ya'll thoughts on anthony spencer returning should we resign or should let him go and use the money to address the o-line. if we do i would target andre smith of cincy and move him to right guard like we did with davis he'll be 26 next year and we'll more productive seasons out of him than what we did with big leonard
Are we beyon the point of speculation? I haven't been keeping up with the news. Just keeping up with this thread! LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are we beyon the point of speculation? I haven't been keeping up with the news. Just keeping up with this thread! LOL
It went from "eyeing" to Kiffin is in-town and interviewing. I'd say it is probably a done deal and he came to town for contract talks.

Whispers are whoever we hired is only getting a 1 year deal or potentially a multi-year deal contingent on the HC not getting canned. If that's the case I can imagine Lovie Smith would have less than zero interest. He wouldn't want to be the DC and he definitely wouldn't want his job tied to Garrett.

The more I chew on it though I really like the switch to 4-3 not sure I'm onboard with full-on Tampa-2 though. Give me press corners and make sure we have at least one 1-gapper at DT and I'm pretty much sold though.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
You gotta get it out of your head that one guy will/can only play one position.

On Church, I agree Finisher, he could provide another option at LB in certain subpackages. The ability to counter what the offense is doing or force the offense into doing something they are not comfortable doing is the main key. Throwing different looks and different packages out there is effective when you have players who are versatile enough to be used different ways. I think that's the one important thing I've got to wrap my head around when looking at draft prospects. I can't look at "cookie cutter" prototypes. High in the draft, you want versatility...guys who can do it all. Low in the draft, you want specialists... guys that maybe can't do it all, but they can do one particular thing pretty damn well, where you can use them in subpackages or certain situations to give your defense another look.
im just sayin lee is at best in middle and carter natural position is at olb, maybe on one play carter might drop to the middle third instead of lee to give different look but by in large on first and 10 sean lee is and should be the mlb
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
well look at his resume

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...se-for-cowboys

and the other big names like lovie smith and zimmer want hc jobs, mike nolan and spags are under contract, do you know of any other names u know jerry wants to go big
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
It went from "eyeing" to Kiffin is in-town and interviewing. I'd say it is probably a done deal and he came to town for contract talks.

Whispers are whoever we hired is only getting a 1 year deal or potentially a multi-year deal contingent on the HC not getting canned. If that's the case I can imagine Lovie Smith would have less than zero interest. He wouldn't want to be the DC and he definitely wouldn't want his job tied to Garrett.

The more I chew on it though I really like the switch to 4-3 not sure I'm onboard with full-on Tampa-2 though. Give me press corners and make sure we have at least one 1-gapper at DT and I'm pretty much sold though.
The plan IS to keep changing coordinators??? WTF kind of plan is that???
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
The plan IS to keep changing coordinators??? WTF kind of plan is that???
jj doesn't want to change hc's again and he gonna do everything he can do to make garrett succeed as the head coach because if the season end the same way again he gonna have to fire him. the real problem is jerry is doing everything not garrett making his own decisions
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

some news other the monte kiffin

great news for dez
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...9-296764a1f57e

chris rainey got waived. possible solution to our anemic kickoff return unit?