Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
You realize Rolando McClain was considered a coach on the field when he was coming out, right? McClain was EXACTLY what Te'o is, except better. Bigger, taller, longer. Leadership and maturity beyond his years--in spades.
But speed. Speed speed speed. That was always my big concern with McClain, he looked slow in college. Teo is much faster than McClain.

McClain didn't dispell his speed issues either by ditching the combine and running a poor 40 on his pro day.

Lack of speed is the death of any defender who wants a career in the NFL.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
But speed. Speed speed speed. That was always my big concern with McClain, he looked slow in college. Teo is much faster than McClain.

McClain didn't dispell his speed issues either by ditching the combine and running a poor 40 on his pro day.

Lack of speed is the death of any defender who wants a career in the NFL.
McClain's 40 time was better than Brandon Spikes, Vontaze Burfict, Rey Maualuga, Navarro Bowman, Brian Cushing, Paul Kruger, Erin Henderson, Sean Lee and Curtis Lofton.

And almost identical to Justin Houston and Sean Witherspoon. McClain was not a Dontay Moch, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher, but his speed was more than adequate and his recognition on the field matched with his length was more than supposed to make up for it.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
McClain's 40 time was better than Brandon Spikes, Vontaze Burfict, Rey Maualuga, Navarro Bowman, Brian Cushing, Paul Kruger, Erin Henderson, Sean Lee and Curtis Lofton.

And almost identical to Justin Houston and Sean Witherspoon. McClain was not a Dontay Moch, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher, but his speed was more than adequate and his recognition on the field matched with his length was more than supposed to make up for it.
Are you sure about that? Bc I'm skeptical, I could have swore McClain ran a 4.85 and I'm also pretty sure Witherspoon ran a 4.55.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you sure about that? Bc I'm skeptical, I could have swore McClain ran a 4.85 and I'm also pretty sure Witherspoon ran a 4.55.
ESPN with McClain's 40 yard dash time - 4.68

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/90/year/2010

ESPN with Witherspoon's 40 yard dash time - 4.68

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/89/year/2010

You and I both know that there is no such thing as an official 40 yard dash time, so it's very possible McClain ran a 4.85 and Witherspoon ran a 4.55. But ESPN certainly thinks they had similar results.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks pretty fast. Doesn't say what his time was though.

EDIT: Or ^ that.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
ESPN with McClain's 40 yard dash time - 4.68

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/90/year/2010

ESPN with Witherspoon's 40 yard dash time - 4.68

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/89/year/2010

You and I both know that there is no such thing as an official 40 yard dash time, so it's very possible McClain ran a 4.85 and Witherspoon ran a 4.55. But ESPN certainly thinks they had similar results.
That's interesting. Makes his fall from grace even more surprising.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Mayock's take on the championship game...

ďI think the first thing you have to do is not have a major knee-jerk reaction. Letís look at this kidís body of work over four years. I think the second thing, though ó and being real honest here ó is that most NFL teams are going to look at that Bama team and say, ĎOK, thatís the most NFL-type team he has seen in four years, and how did he play in that game?í I havenít seen the tape yet, but everything I saw live tells me it wasnít real good. So itís going to be factored in, and teams are going to look at it and teams are going to ask him questions about it. But overall, the body of his work tells me heís a first-round draft pick in the NFL.Ē

Quote:
Mayock spends the football season as NBCís commentator on Notre Dame games, and he spends the offseason as NFL Networkís draft analyst. And Mayock said today on Mike and Mike in the Morning that he thinks thereís a risk of people overreacting to one bad game from Teío and dropping him further than he deserves to be dropped ó but Mayock also thinks itís valid to point out that Teío struggled when facing future NFL offensive linemen and future NFL running backs against the Crimson Tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Mike Mayock's take on the championship game...

ďI think the first thing you have to do is not have a major knee-jerk reaction. Letís look at this kidís body of work over four years. I think the second thing, though ó and being real honest here ó is that most NFL teams are going to look at that Bama team and say, ĎOK, thatís the most NFL-type team he has seen in four years, and how did he play in that game?í I havenít seen the tape yet, but everything I saw live tells me it wasnít real good. So itís going to be factored in, and teams are going to look at it and teams are going to ask him questions about it. But overall, the body of his work tells me heís a first-round draft pick in the NFL.Ē
This is the most valid point to make about the game against Bama. It was the best chance we got to see Te'o against NFL-type competition. And this game has to hurt him.

However, he has played other teams that are very strong, including Oklahoma. I would also point out the way the defensive line was completely manhandled by Alabama. It seems pretty clear the opposition was Nfl caliber, but the guys in front of him were NOT starter material on an NFL team.

Bottom line, Te'o was over rated a the last few months, but if he drops past 20 someone is going to get a good deal. He has the talent and leadership to go 15-23ish.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
underscore
Veteran

underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.

Te'o has no business going in the first round.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The important part (except in coverage for the most part) is playing speed. McClain wasn't fast, per se, but his speed to the ball was exceptional.

edit: The most concerning part of the National Championship game wasn't how badly Teo was abused by Alabama's line, but how many tackles he missed. He seemed to not want to tackle Eddy Lacy.

Last edited by descendency : 01-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know many linebackers that perform well with their line getting dominated the way that Notre Dame's line did.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well I don't know how many times Te'o will be faced with an OL in the NFL made up of 5 1st round picks.
This is a bit of a lie.

While, the 5 lineman are really good (and will likely be 5 1st day picks, but Fluker isn't going round 1 at the very least, and probably Jones too.), they are not big enough and strong enough to even be considered NFL linemen yet.

That's what distinguishes the college game from the pro game. The first few years of an linemans career in the NFL is about strengthening. Look at how nasty David DeCastro looked at Stanford. Now compare that to how he looked in his first few weeks in the NFL. It was night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
I don't know many linebackers that perform well with their line getting dominated the way that Notre Dame's line did.
This. Every good LB you can name was behind a great DL. Very few of them can take on lineman and still make plays.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
wkuredbengal34
Rookie

wkuredbengal34 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't see how he is any different than Maulaluga or McClain. Slow, not real athletic and struggles to get off blocks in the run game. I don't see him being able to cover any RB's one on one in the pass game either. 2nd to 3rd rounder to me.
wkuredbengal34 is offline   Reply With Quote