Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about no nicknames?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty surprised we haven't heard more about prevent defense from what happened yesterday. I think if you polled 100 people on their thoughts about prevent defense, 101 people would say they hate it, however Seattle gifted the Falcons their field goal try.

I think the biggest issue with prevent is teams can't execute it properly. What you are trying to do is, first of all, prevent the big play (cough, Rahim Moore, cough) but also give the middle of the field short and take time off the clock while keeping everything in front of you.

An example of a team who didn't play this properly was the Pats just before the half yesterday. The Texans weren't in field goal range with about 10 seconds, Schaub took the snap and completed the pass to Casey (I think) who was immediately tackled on the 38 yard line and a TO was called with 2 seconds left. What should have happened was he should have been allowed to catch the ball but not tackled immediately and instead held up to allow time to run off.

The main issue with prevent is teams do not run it properly and thus end up giving up chunk plays and when smart, situational football is required players tend to revert to how they would normally think.

Which brings us to Seattle. Pete Carroll obviously isn't a fan of prevent and thought the best way to challenge the Falcons was to pressure Matt Ryan. However if you bring pressure and it doesn't get there then it is easy picking.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
How about no nicknames?
See, I'm for certain simple ones (saying "Big Ben" instead of typing his full name out for instance,) but a lot of them are flat out stupid.

Every time someone says "AD" or "Johnny Football" I want to punch or strangle them. One of the worst was Raiders fans calling Carson Palmer "CP3." One, he's lousy and not deserving of a nickname. Two, there is already a CP3. If you're not going to bother getting any more creative with it, don't use it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
See, I'm for certain simple ones (saying "Big Ben" instead of typing his full name out for instance,) but a lot of them are flat out stupid.

Every time someone says "AD" or "Johnny Football" I want to punch or strangle them. One of the worst was Raiders fans calling Carson Palmer "CP3." One, he's lousy and not deserving of a nickname. Two, there is already a CP3. If you're not going to bother getting any more creative with it, don't use it.
The thing I hate about Peterson is he has so many damn nicknames.

AD, AP, Purple Jesus, Diesel etc

**** it. You are now simply Adrian

Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I hate the nickname Johnny Football for a couple of reasons. For one, he was given that nickname before he had even done anything. And now, sports guys on tv won't even say his real last name. I actually heard a guy on the radio hear say "I think Johnny Manzi... I mean Johnny Football will win the Heisman." Manziel is his real name. You don't have to correct yourself if you say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nicknames now and days for football players just don't seem very creative to me. "AD" was the straw that broke the camel's back. All day? Really? That's not even unique.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I hate the nickname Johnny Football for a couple of reasons. For one, he was given that nickname before he had even done anything. And now, sports guys on tv won't even say his real last name. I actually heard a guy on the radio hear say "I think Johnny Manzi... I mean Johnny Football will win the Heisman." Manziel is his real name. You don't have to correct yourself if you say it.
That. That is one of my biggest issues with it. It's one thing for a bunch of guys on a forum posting "JOHNNY FOOTBALLZZZZ" a thousand times after he makes a great play, but if you watch anything relating to college football, you hear "Johnny Football" ten times for every one instance where they say his real name.

And the fact that it has to be the least creative nickname ever doesn't help.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Is Johnny Football a 1950's throwback to Unitas or something? I don't get that one.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I remember punk ass Trey Wingo on NFL Live a few years ago entertain the question "So guys is it Michael Vick or Mike Vick?" Really? That is on the agenda for today's show?

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't mind if it's a real nickname. AD was truely his nickname, it wasn't started to try and be cool or sound cool or anything, it was just his nickname. AP annoys me more then anything. Or something that starts on a message board to sound cool. If it's a real nickname started by family members don't see how you can have a gripe with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I don't mind if it's a real nickname. AD was truely his nickname, it wasn't started to try and be cool or sound cool or anything, it was just his nickname. AP annoys me more then anything. Or something that starts on a message board to sound cool. If it's a real nickname started by family members don't see how you can have a gripe with it.
"All Day" is fine. But then they went and abbreviated the nickname. "AD" with no context doesn't make any sense. Way back when, I heard them calling him that without knowing the "All Day" story and thought it was short for "Adrian" or something equally dumb.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

All the best nicknames are from guys who played before. There are very few nicknames around now that I like.

Lawfirm is a good one though but nothing really comes close to Night Train Lane, or Juice, or Sweetness, or Bad Moon Rison, or Mean Joe Greene. Everything nowadays seems so contrived. JJ Swatt etc. Come on! That sucks balls

Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Law Firm, Big Ben, All Day, Doucheface (Phillip Rivers), Big Brother and Little Brother (Peyton n Eli), there's solid nicknames out there.

I do really hate Matty Ice though.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
All the best nicknames are from guys who played before. There are very few nicknames around now that I like.

Lawfirm is a good one though but nothing really comes close to Night Train Lane, or Juice, or Sweetness, or Bad Moon Rison, or Mean Joe Greene. Everything nowadays seems so contrived. JJ Swatt etc. Come on! That sucks balls
Lawfirm is a great nickname. It's too bad he's not a better player.

Not to take anything away from Manziel, but I don't think he wins the Heisman as a Freshman if he doesn't have that "Johnny Football" nickname.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post

Not to take anything away from Manziel, but I don't think he wins the Heisman as a Freshman if he doesn't have that "Johnny Football" nickname.
Were Teo or Kline really going to take it away? This was an incredibly weak year in college football.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Along the same lines, if Tyrann Mathieu wasn't nicknamed the Honey Badger, he wouldn't have received anywhere near the love he got. He wasn't even the best player in that secondary yet he gets invited to the Heisman ceremonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I like Law Firm, Big Ben, All Day, Doucheface (Phillip Rivers), Big Brother and Little Brother (Peyton n Eli), there's solid nicknames out there.

I like nicknames that are given to people by their parents at birth

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So please tell me who was? Let's not get ridiculous here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I like nicknames that are given to people by their parents at birth
They really are the best, otherwise Doucheface would just be mean.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post

Would you prefer The Mattural? I hate that one. I don't mind Matty Ice at all.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Would you prefer The Mattural? I hate that one. I don't mind Matty Ice at all.
"Matty Ice" was alright when he earned it. When people still called him that despite year after year of choking in the pros though, it started to grate me.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
"Matty Ice" was alright when he earned it. When people still called him that despite year after year of choking in the pros though, it started to grate me.
That's the thing that got me too. Called Matty Ice because he had ice in his veins apparently, even though he crumbled in the playoffs until yesterday, and very nearly added to his own reputation yesterday with that INT. I think he should be called Matt "Mike Mayock loves me" Ryan

Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Matty Ice melted" -- 1000 people on Twitter, every year at around this time.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i always thought matty ice was his nickname, because he always chocked in the playoffs? He was hot in the regular season then cold in the playoffs...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
i always thought matty ice was his nickname, because he always chocked in the playoffs? He was hot in the regular season then cold in the playoffs...
He got it while still in college for being clutch a bunch of times.