Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
So I had this kind of though this mooring. Since our offense is evolving into something great like a great option attack. Tebow will need a place to call a new home. Could the gm and coaches bring in Tebow and us him in our new offense and make a descent QB / RB what ever needs to be down to help win more games. It wouldn't cost us more then a 3rd I'm sure. it just might help career with our coaching staff who actually teach him a little something about passing etc. what do you thinks ? Lets not get hasty on Tebow, but him being helpful in our new offense ways.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So I had this kind of though this mooring.
You shouldn't think so much.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So I had this kind of though this mooring. Since our offense is evolving into something great like a great option attack. Tebow will need a place to call a new home. Could the gm and coaches bring in Tebow and us him in our new offense and make a descent QB / RB what ever needs to be down to help win more games. It wouldn't cost us more then a 3rd I'm sure. it just might help career with our coaching staff who actually teach him a little something about passing etc. what do you thinks ? Lets not get hasty on Tebow, but him being helpful in our new offense ways.
Just stop. I mean really......STOP!

And I hope the media and the pundits not only give Jimbaugh some love this week, but Mike Nolan as well. He turn this franchise around and instilled a culture of accountability, doing things the right way and made the Niners formidable again. One of the reasons Justin Smith gave for signing with us as a free agent way back when was because he "liked what Nolan was building here". I always said Nolan would make a hell of a GM if he ever left coaching. He doesnt get enough credit but he was instrumental in the brass hiring Baalke and Gamble into their early roles into the organization. He could always spot talent. Most of our core talent came from Nolan-run drafts. Willis, Gore, VD, Staley, Goldson, Walker, McDonald, Brown. All Nolan draft picks and all key contributors to this team. Not to mention the key free agents he lured here like Cowboy and Brooks over the years. He was lacking as a head coach. Didn't have a clue about the offesnive side of the ball and how to maximize talent. But I think like Belichick, once he gets another oopportunity to be a HC, he'll get it right. But he should get his just due for the success of this organization and where it stands now. He laid the foundation upon which Baalke and JH built the framework. Two more wins and the house will be completed.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The next time you have a THOUGHT please just let it go. And for the love of god enroll in an English class.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What would be so wrong with bring in Tebow to our offense?Not as a starter or anything but as a position player. Like on 3rd downs and goal line stuff. It could work people.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What would be so wrong with bring in Tebow to our offense?Not as a starter or anything but as a position player. Like on 3rd downs and goal line stuff. It could work people.
Tebow doesn't give the Niners anything they don't already have besides a media circus.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Just stop. I mean really......STOP!

And I hope the media and the pundits not only give Jimbaugh some love this week, but Mike Nolan as well. He turn this franchise around and instilled a culture of accountability, doing things the right way and made the Niners formidable again. One of the reasons Justin Smith gave for signing with us as a free agent way back when was because he "liked what Nolan was building here". I always said Nolan would make a hell of a GM if he ever left coaching. He doesnt get enough credit but he was instrumental in the brass hiring Baalke and Gamble into their early roles into the organization. He could always spot talent. Most of our core talent came from Nolan-run drafts. Willis, Gore, VD, Staley, Goldson, Walker, McDonald, Brown. All Nolan draft picks and all key contributors to this team. Not to mention the key free agents he lured here like Cowboy and Brooks over the years. He was lacking as a head coach. Didn't have a clue about the offesnive side of the ball and how to maximize talent. But I think like Belichick, once he gets another oopportunity to be a HC, he'll get it right. But he should get his just due for the success of this organization and where it stands now. He laid the foundation upon which Baalke and JH built the framework. Two more wins and the house will be completed.
Not to nitpick but Brooks was Singletary, but still I agree with everything you said.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just though I throw in something jeez. Didn't y'all hated him so much (as a player) No more Tebow ideas from me ever in here at least.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Just though I throw in something jeez. Didn't y'all hated him so much (as a player) No more Tebow ideas from me ever in here at least.
THOUGHT! GOD DAMNIT THOUGHT!

Quote:
Didn't y'all hated him so much
Really?! What part of this sounds right to you?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF??? Tebow??? No thanks. Let him go to Canada.

And please learn how to write American English.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya
Sorry but while I agree that Nolan drafted some good players, he sucked as a HC. Didnt have a clue whatsoever. Seriously, he used Davis as a blocker for the first few years of his career. Come on. Defensively, we were average at best. Never wanted him and extremely happy that he's long gone.

Hopefully, the 49ers crush the Falcons defense this week in ATL just so I can laugh my ass off at anyone thinking that Nolan is any good when he's not. There's no Jamal Anderson this time. Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Not to nitpick but Brooks was Singletary, but still I agree with everything you said.
No his wasn't....how? Nolan liked Brooks when he was in the supplemental draft. I know because I friend of mine who worked in the athletic department at UVA at the time told me he saw a couple of Niner scouts hanging around the facilities and was talking with some of the staff the week before Brooks' Pro Day. The Bengals just came out of nowhere and gave up higher tender but Brooks was always on our radar. And as soon as the Bengals cut him, we jumped to sign him. So where excatly does Sing come in? He coached LBs so yeah, he had something to do with his development but Sing had no personnel power as a assistant or HC. He worked with whatever Scotty Mac gave him. You talking about the guy who told Nolan he saw "nothing special" when he broke down gamefilm of Willis before the '07 draft. And it was Nolan who moved him to OLB to rush the passer, where eventually thrived. He was a ILB with the Bengals and all through college. I dont see how Sing had any parts of bringing Brooks here.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 01-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys should definitely get Tebow....

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Sorry but while I agree that Nolan drafted some good players, he sucked as a HC. Didnt have a clue whatsoever. Seriously, he used Davis as a blocker for the first few years of his career. Come on. Defensively, we were average at best. Never wanted him and extremely happy that he's long gone.

Hopefully, the 49ers crush the Falcons defense this week in ATL just so I can laugh my ass off at anyone thinking that Nolan is any good when he's not. There's no Jamal Anderson this time. Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!
Where do I say he was a good head coach? Reading comprehension my friend. I say he started the groundwork from which a guy like Jim Harbaugh ccould come in and hit the ground running. Or maybe you don't recall just how void of talent this team was before he became the head coach. A time when Brandon Lloyd was our best offensive player(and mind you his better now than he was then) and a defensive unit outside of Bryant Young, fielded boderline NFL talent. There wasn't a lot great coaching candidates lined up to take this job. We could have done much worst. Nolan changed the culture. We were laughingstocks around the league, especially as a front office. Nolan and Jed started the process of change in that regard.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nolan got us some nice players. That's about it. I'm not going to sit here and boot lick his ass though. Nolan did more damage than good.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Where do I say he was a good head coach? Reading comprehension my friend. I say he started the groundwork from which a guy like Jim Harbaugh ccould come in and hit the ground running. Or maybe you don't recall just how void of talent this team was before he became the head coach. A time when Brandon Lloyd was our best offensive player(and mind you his better now than he was then) and a defensive unit outside of Bryant Young, fielded boderline NFL talent. There wasn't a lot great coaching candidates lined up to take this job. We could have done much worst. Nolan changed the culture. We were laughingstocks around the league, especially as a front office. Nolan and Jed started the process of change in that regard.
I didnt say you said he was a good head coach. I'm stating my opinion that he sucked as a head coach and going by his record, its not even an opinion, its a fact.

As the head coach, Nolan didnt do a damn thing except get a few cheap wins at the end of the season to save his job. Thats all he did as a head coach.

Nolan nearly ruined Alex Smith, had Martz as our OC with O'Sullivan as our starting QB several years ago. You talk about talent. We had Bryant Young, Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, Derek Smith, Jeff Ulbrich, Tony Parrish and Zack Bronson. I wouldnt exactly say that we had no talent. Carter, Young and Peterson were our three best defensive players. Nolan moved two of them to OLB where they were either injured or ineffective. Both then left as UFA's.

Seriously, who does that when there's not enough talent on the team to make that transition? Look at him now in ATL. Notice how he learned from that mistake. He's running a 4-3 because could you imagine Abraham as a 3-4 OLB at his age? It took him what five years or whatever it was just to get a NT in Franklin?

I'll give Nolan credit for drafting some of the defensive players but at the same time, he didnt use them correctly and offensively, he was beyond horrible. In 2006, our best WR was Antonio Bryant when in reality, it should have been Davis and say what you want about Davis, no player with his ability should be used mainly as a blocker. Come on.

But whatever. Thankfully, those days are long gone. Harbaugh is going to show Nolan and the rest of those damn dirty birds what a real head coach is.

And I for one, cant wait!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Nolan got us some nice players. That's about it. I'm not going to sit here and boot lick his ass though. Nolan did more damage than good.
How did Nolan get us players? He wasn't the GM. Scot McCloughan is to thank.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
How did Nolan get us players? He wasn't the GM. Scot McCloughan is to thank.
Wasn't he in charge early on? Or rather, he was the final trigger man with McCloughan on board.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wasn't he in charge early on? Or rather, he was the final trigger man with McCloughan on board.
If you remember correctly, the anecdote was that it was McCloughan who argued against Singletary and the other coaches in taking Willis with the first rounder, I think it was over Adam Carriker.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Excatly how did he do more damage than good? He was a medicore coach. Not awful....not bad. I've seen worst. Sure there were things about him as a coach that I hated and he completely fizzled out there at the end but I respect the work he put in to get us back to relevancy. We're not where are now as a franchise if not for Nolan' s legwork in the beginning. Do you realize Nolan brought Baalke into the organization? The man who's running **** now and damn well might I add? He also brought Gamble into the fold. Do you ppl understand how inept the York's were as owners until Nolan came aboard and showed them how you properly run a front office, how to scout and build a team? Check out our drafts before Nolan got here. Our scouting department was abysmal. Nolan, Baalke, and Gamble helped restructure the scouting department. Some of you should really think before you speak. Even when Mariccui was the coach, the Yorks were making bad decisions financially as well as team management wise. They hired Marthe and Nolan around the same time. It was a shift in change from the old. Whatever he lacked as a coach shouldn't erase what he did do well in other areas.

And how do ppl NOT know Nolan had GM powers his first 3 years before Jed stripped him of those duties after that disastrous 2007 season? That's when Scotty Mac took over GM duties until he left. It was one of the reasons Nolan took the job, because he said the organization was so inpet structurally, that he needed to just start over fresh and he needed management control to do that. But I think he took on too much as a first time head coach, with the management and the coaching. Even seasoned HC have struggled in that capacity(Holmgren). But you guys act like hiring Nolan is the worst thing we could have did. So yea....show dude a little respect. I think he's earned it.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 01-15-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure what to think about this Falcons game. On one hand, they just had an exhausting back and forth game. An emotional high, and they gave it their all to win a divisional playoff game. They were literally crying after the game. Perhaps they were too focused on that game and are due for a letdown? They were definitely focused 100% and maybe they don't have anything left for another playoff game.

OTOH, they could also be looser and play with no fear, now that the monkey is off their back. And we also tend to follow up big wins with bad losses.

I'm worried either way. Sunday can't come soon enough.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Excatly how did he do more damage than good? He was a medicore coach. Not awful....not bad. I've seen worst. Sure there were things about him as a coach that I hated and he completely fizzled out there at the end but I respect the work he put in to get us back to relevancy. We're not where are now as a franchise if not for Nolan' s legwork in the beginning. Do realize Nolan brought Baalke into the organization? The man who's running **** now and damn well might I add? He also brought Gamble into the fold. Do you ppl understand how inept the York's were as owners until Nolan came aboard and showed them how you properly ran a front office, how to scout and build a team? Check out our drafts before Nolan got here. Our scouting department was abysmal. Nolan, Baalke, and Gamble helped restructure the scouting department. Some of you should really think before you speak. Even when Mariccui was the coach, the Yorks were making bad decisions financially as well as team management wise. They hired Marthe and Nolan at the same time. It was a shift in change from the old. Whatever he lacked as a coach shouldn't erase what he did do well in other areas.

And how do ppl NOT know Nolan had GM powers his first 3 years before Jed stripped him of those duties after that disastrous 2007 season? That's when Scotty Mac took over GM duties until he left. It was one of the reasons Nolan took the job, because he said the organization was so inpet structurally, that he needed to just start over fresh and he needed management control to do that. But I think he took on too much as a first time head coach, with the management and the coaching. Even seasoned HC have struggled in that capacity(Holmgren). But you guys act like hiring Nolan is the worst thing we could have did. So yea....show dude a little respect. I think he's earned it.
I'll throw you a bone. Nolan was in a difficult spot with the inexperienced ownership and his offensive coordinators either leaving for better opportunities after one year's time, or just being inept. Even if he did have an eye for some talent, he didn't necessarily utilize all of that talent on the field as a football coach. His big nickel scheme got old real quick and didn't really help San Francisco as a defensive unit overall. And he handled the Alex Smith situation terribly. He was brought in here to change the culture and get wins. Everything was essentially put on his plate. He chose Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers and he didn't gt it done period. We can nitpick all we want, but he's the head coach and he didn't get it done.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 01-14-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
No his wasn't....how? Nolan liked Brooks when he was in the supplemental draft. I know because I friend of mine who worked in the athletic department at UVA at the time told me he saw a couple of Niner scouts hanging around the facilities and was talking with some of the staff the week before Brooks' Pro Day. The Bengals just came out of nowhere and gave up higher tender but Brooks was always on our radar. And as soon as the Bengals cut him, we jumped to sign him. So where excatly does Sing come in? He coached LBs so yeah, he had something to do with his development but Sing had no personnel power as a assistant or HC. He worked with whatever Scotty Mac gave him. You talking about the guy who told Nolan he saw "nothing special" when he broke down gamefilm of Willis before the '07 draft. And it was Nolan who moved him to OLB to rush the passer, where eventually thrived. He was a ILB with the Bengals and all through college. I dont see how Sing had any parts of bringing Brooks here.
I thought he was brought into the fold after Singletary had become the interim HC my bad.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'll throw you a bone. Nolan was in a difficult spot with the inexperienced ownership and his offensive coordinators either leaving for better opportunities after one year's time, or just being inept. Even if he did have an eye for some talent, he didn't necessarily utilize all of that talent on the field as a football coach. His big nickel scheme got old real quick and didn't really help San Francisco as a defensive unit overall. And he handled the Alex Smith situation terribly. He was brought in here to change the culture and get wins. Everything was essentially put on his plate. He chose Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers and he didn't gt it done period. We can nitpick all we want, but he's the head coach and he didn't get it done.
I'm not arguing the HC part. He failed miserably as a coach. We're definitely in agreement there. He had no clue about offensive football. If Norv Turner doesn't leave him high and dry in '07, who knows but he definitely didn't have a plan. He had no business drafting a young QB first overall, listening to the advice of a OC, who would evetually leave a year later. I don't believe any first time HC, who doesn't have a background on the offensive side of the ball, whether as a OC or QB coach, should be drafting a 20 year old QB. He had no clue about developing said QB and it showed by how he chose his OC's. Switching from a WCO, to the Coryell, to whatever the hell Jim Hostler ran in his miserable stint as OC, to Martz's option-read based Coryell. He was too busy trying to save his ass than really understanding how to best develop his young QB and the offense as a whole. And ppl forget but it was Billy Davis who was the DC back then, followed by Manusky. It was Davis and Manusky's first time as a DCs but they blew. He tried to ride it out with guys who were not cutting it and it bit him in the ass. But they were hired by Nolan so ultimately its on his shoulders. But I think Nolan's stints as a DC after leaving the Niners, has proven he's one of the better defensive guys in the business. Even this year, coaching a 4-3 in Atlanta, he's showed his versatility on that side of the ball. Nolan's big nickel is still here....Fangio just tweaked the line-up a little, added a real pass-rusher(something he also failed at) and now you have one of the better nickel defenses in the league.

But in every other way, I think Nolan should get major kudos for helping start the transition from a poorly run franchise, to the finely oiled machine we have now. Look at the guys who he brought into the front office, who are now prospering now that they have moved up the personnel ladder. Look at the players who he drafted, or brought in as free agents, who are now getting accolades around the league. Now take all that away......are we in the NFCCG two years running? I don't know. If you gonna give Baalke credit for building what we have now, then you have to give Nolan some due, since he worked under Nolan initially. And I'm sure even he would say he learned alot working under him. I used to look at organizations like the Pats, the Steelers, and the Packers and how they went about building their teams, how they're organizations were run, staying competitive, year after year, and thinking how I wished that could be us. And now that is us. We're the envy of GMs, coaches, and pundits around the league. The abilty of Baalke to use one draft to build up the trenches along the O-Line(2010 draft) only happens because Nolan used his first 3 drafts to add talent everywhere else. Adding a Iupati and a A. Davis only works if you already have a Staley, VD, Gore, Alex Smith, and Walker already in the fold. Its many ways we can evaluate how Nolan did as a coach but we both agree that he sucked in that regard. But how he built the team through the drafts and and free agency. And how those moves shaped the core of the team, along with the ppl he brought into the front office. And how those additions stabilized the organization and how its run now, shouldn't even be up for debate.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 01-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Let's not bring Singletary back into this mess. I wanna for get all about those years.