Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What does that mean? "Have a built in way to get money from it"?
hell if I know...but @BryanBroaddus is a reputable enough source for me when it comes to cowboys news. His insite is pretty good and he clearly still has some connections with the organization. He does tend to be a little short on his information..but I chalk that up to twitter and answering stupid questions all day.

Don't think he'd write that though if it wasn't true /shrug

woah 30,000 replies...this thread has some history

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 01-15-2013 at 02:28 AM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Free as the Swing guy? I know he cost more than you want to pay for a swing guy, but has experience at both and better than wasting salary cap space on a guy who isn't on your roster.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
What about Free as the Swing guy? I know he cost more than you want to pay for a swing guy, but has experience at both and better than wasting salary cap space on a guy who isn't on your roster.
Yeah, I don't think they eat his contract.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are those of you reading this are not going to like what I am about the say but it is my honest view, Nate Livings was not a better player than Mackenzy Bernadeau and I know there a lot of people think that was the case but itís not true. I know that Bernadeau had his struggles at certain points during this season and the Tampa Bay game was one of those times but if you focus on three plays you are missing the other 65 where he did his job correctly.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...dium=twi tter

Interesting. Broaddus pretty much says we sucked everywhere but LT lol

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
There are those of you reading this are not going to like what I am about the say but it is my honest view, Nate Livings was not a better player than Mackenzy Bernadeau and I know there a lot of people think that was the case but it’s not true. I know that Bernadeau had his struggles at certain points during this season and the Tampa Bay game was one of those times but if you focus on three plays you are missing the other 65 where he did his job correctly.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...dium=twi tter

Interesting. Broaddus pretty much says we sucked everywhere but LT lol
Sounds like Broaddus is knocking Livings on his ability to pull. My thought is, if that's what we're wanting out of our lineman, then we need to get guys who are more agile. Livings and Bernadeau never did fit that bill. Did they not know what they were doing or what?

PPF's rankings speak highly of Livings which seems to be at odds at what Broaddus is saying.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dallas Cowboys passing game coordinator/tight ends coach John Garrett, older brother of head coach Jason Garrett, has applied for the Delaware head-coaching job, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...r-delaware-job

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys passing game coordinator/tight ends coach John Garrett, older brother of head coach Jason Garrett, has applied for the Delaware head-coaching job, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...r-delaware-job
Hope he gets it. There's some bad energy in the room because of him.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hope he gets it. There's some bad energy in the room because of him.
He is actually a cool guy. I got to coach TE under him at the Jason G. clinic at their alma mater.

I will have to ask a common friend to ask old man garrett what on gods green earth is going on behind the scenes.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sounds like Broaddus is knocking Livings on his ability to pull. My thought is, if that's what we're wanting out of our lineman, then we need to get guys who are more agile. Livings and Bernadeau never did fit that bill. Did they not know what they were doing or what?

PPF's rankings speak highly of Livings which seems to be at odds at what Broaddus is saying.
they also had him as the 67th best guard in the nfl last year, and broaddus caught alot heat from pff b/c he said livings wasn't as bad as pff made him out to be, i also remember bloggingtheboys having an article scouting livings and he was known to be a poor puller, so it seems silly to knock on a guys weaknesses when u already knew those were his weaknesses, seems like an offensive coordinator issue there.

Quote:
There are those of you reading this are not going to like what I am about the say but it is my honest view, Nate Livings was not a better player than Mackenzy Bernadeau and I know there a lot of people think that was the case but itís not true. I know that Bernadeau had his struggles at certain points during this season and the Tampa Bay game was one of those times but if you focus on three plays you are missing the other 65 where he did his job correctly.
they both sucked, this is just crying over spilled milk
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice read on Rob Ryan:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...-wasnt-working

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Add special teams coach to the list of vacancies for the Cowboys. The team will be looking for a replacement for Joe DeCamillis, who has been allowed to leave for Chicago.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...2-1c27c95135d3

Ya'll got anybody in mind for a replacement?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Add special teams coach to the list of vacancies for the Cowboys. The team will be looking for a replacement for Joe DeCamillis, who has been allowed to leave for Chicago.

No surprise. That was the first fire/hire that I thought would come when the offseason began.

He should owe some thanks to Dwayne Harris.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Count me in the camp that doesn't want to see anymore of Livings, Berny, Cook, or any other JAGS starting on the line anymore. It's not realistic, but as soon as we signed those guys I knew what was coming. If we just keep recycling interior offensive lineman nobody else wants and rotating positions all year long back and forth across the board the result will be the same.

Hard for me to get optimistic about the season without a massive upgrade on the line. We all complain about it all year, then as soon as the off-season gets here the same JAGS are somehow ok? I wouldn't care what direction we went in if we got 2 new starters on the interior offensive line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Livings was basically just the guy who didn't suck as bad as everyone else besides Tyron. If they wanted to stick with him that's fine because you can't replace everyone, but he definitely could be upgraded. It's just that center and the right side are so bad that they need immediate focus. Plus Livings was okay. If you get better people around him I think he'd play better, so staying static with him isn't a bad move. They have to get better on the line though. You just can't address the worst part of your team like it's nothing. That's what the offseason is for. If they don't address OL this offseason then they're just looking at another 8-8 season with their thumbs up their ass wondering what went wrong. I don't care what the Giants won with. You gotta focus on what you're weak at and attempt to fix it.

Same thing applies to safety. I'd rather them fix that than bring Spencer back, and I want Spencer back. Without him you still have options. The line though sucks ass, and safety is still a problem.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

steve hoffman
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Count me in the camp that doesn't want to see anymore of Livings, Berny, Cook, or any other JAGS starting on the line anymore. It's not realistic, but as soon as we signed those guys I knew what was coming. If we just keep recycling interior offensive lineman nobody else wants and rotating positions all year long back and forth across the board the result will be the same.

Hard for me to get optimistic about the season without a massive upgrade on the line. We all complain about it all year, then as soon as the off-season gets here the same JAGS are somehow ok? I wouldn't care what direction we went in if we got 2 new starters on the interior offensive line.
well maybe some of the these udfa that cowboys have been high on (parnell, costa, leary) have a breakthrough and say u get manbeast (warmack) in the draft the line is younger and more athletic, and at the very least somewhat solidified, but then again thats probably just wishful thinking
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
Just walked by the coaches offices on my way out and Coach Kiffin was grinding away on tape in his office. Think the guy cares a little bit.

Not that you would expect anything less but still good to hear

Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, I have a question for you guys. I personally like the 4-3 over the 3-4, although I do understand that a 3-4 provides a little more ability to hide what a defense plans to do.

My question is this-we ran a 3-4 last year. But it did not seem to me that we tried many exotic things. So if you are not doing things to try and confuse the other team's offense, what is the point of running a 3-4?

I actually liked Ryan, and all things considered, I thought his defense tried hard near the end. They did have a few injuries. Now, I do not think he maximized the possibilities of a 3-4 defense.

Anyway, I have always been partial to a 4-3, if for no other reason than it is much easier to find players that match up to a 4-3 better.

In the end, though, I don't see it making much of a difference anyway. I have railed (along with many others on here) for two years that our OL is the largest glaring hole. So Jerry changed defensive coordinators just to say he changed something, as far as I can see.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Okay, I have a question for you guys. I personally like the 4-3 over the 3-4, although I do understand that a 3-4 provides a little more ability to hide what a defense plans to do.

My question is this-we ran a 3-4 last year. But it did not seem to me that we tried many exotic things. So if you are not doing things to try and confuse the other team's offense, what is the point of running a 3-4?

I actually liked Ryan, and all things considered, I thought his defense tried hard near the end. They did have a few injuries. Now, I do not think he maximized the possibilities of a 3-4 defense.

Anyway, I have always been partial to a 4-3, if for no other reason than it is much easier to find players that match up to a 4-3 better.

In the end, though, I don't see it making much of a difference anyway. I have railed (along with many others on here) for two years that our OL is the largest glaring hole. So Jerry changed defensive coordinators just to say he changed something, as far as I can see.
I think the Dallas Cowboys failed to give the 3-4 a legit chance because they failed to realize the importance of having a true NT.

Their infatuation with Jason Ferguson and Jay Ratliff at NT killed it. Neither were true 2 gap 3-4 NTs.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
I think the Dallas Cowboys failed to give the 3-4 a legit chance because they failed to realize the importance of having a true NT.

Their infatuation with Jason Ferguson and Jay Ratliff at NT killed it. Neither were true 2 gap 3-4 NTs.
i disagree 3 years ago our defense was #1 scoring defense in the nfc and #2 overall in scoring defense in the nfl, what killed the defense was poor drafting and as some of the veterans on the defense hit that age wall we didn't have young players who could supplement what was already here. imo the nose tackle is not what makes the 3-4 defense great . if you look at the best teams that run the 3-4 in the nfl the best ones all have a dominant 5 tech 3-4 ends, like jj watt, justin smith, calias campbell and darnell dockett. look at the niners most of the sacks by aldon smith are really from the interior pressure from justin smith. arizona defense played well early on, even without great edge rushers b/c they had those two monster ends that destroyed everything inside. kiesel and smith in pitt were extremely underrated a few years ago, but those guts dominated week in and week out. back when the patriots had great defenses under belichik, the guy that was the foundation of the defense wasn't the nose tackle it was richards seymour at the end. even take page out of history with the big blue wrecking crew of the nyg. carl banks and lawrence taylor get most of the attention but george martin and leonard marshall were beast inside. when you those 3-4 ends that dominate then run and collapse the pocket against the pass it make it so easy for 3-4 outside linebackers to get pressure and roam free.

our problem was we relied heavily on 1 or 2 guys (d-ware and ratliff) to make the defense. chris canty pushing the pocket from the inside had alot to do the ware first sack season, and we never replaced him with a player with that type of power and athleticism. to me you need to the nose tackle eat blocks to let the linebackers run free but he's not a difference making type player. having dominant 3-4 ends makes a huge difference in the defense. imagine how great a front 7 would be with ware next to jj watt that would be downright scary

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 01-17-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Just saw on the NFL.com ticker that Rod Marinelli is expected to join the Cowboys staff. WOOT! WOOT!

That's one of strengths I thought we could take advantage of by hiring Monte. His strong "connections". The more smart reputable guys we can get here, the better.

Feel great about this news.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just saw on the NFL.com ticker that Rod Marinelli is expected to join the Cowboys staff. WOOT! WOOT!

That's one of strengths I thought we could take advantage of by hiring Monte. His strong "connections". The more smart reputable guys we can get here, the better.

Wow, this is very exciting. I'm surprised he didn't want a DC job somewhere though. What position will he coach?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Love this move if it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Wow, this is very exciting. I'm surprised he didn't want a DC job somewhere though. What position will he coach?
Almost guaranteed to be defensive line. I like Baker though so it'll be a shame for him to get kicked aside.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i disagree 3 years ago our defense was #1 scoring defense in the nfc and #2 overall in scoring defense in the nfl, what killed the defense was poor drafting and as some of the veterans on the defense hit that age wall we didn't have young players who could supplement what was already here. imo the nose tackle is not what makes the 3-4 defense great . if you look at the best teams that run the 3-4 in the nfl the best ones all have a dominant 5 tech 3-4 ends, like jj watt, justin smith, calias campbell and darnell dockett. look at the niners most of the sacks by aldon smith are really from the interior pressure from justin smith. arizona defense played well early on, even without great edge rushers b/c they had those two monster ends that destroyed everything inside. kiesel and smith in pitt were extremely underrated a few years ago, but those guts dominated week in and week out. back when the patriots had great defenses under belichik, the guy that was the foundation of the defense wasn't the nose tackle it was richards seymour at the end. even take page out of history with the big blue wrecking crew of the nyg. carl banks and lawrence taylor get most of the attention but george martin and leonard marshall were beast inside. when you those 3-4 ends that dominate then run and collapse the pocket against the pass it make it so easy for 3-4 outside linebackers to get pressure and roam free.

our problem was we relied heavily on 1 or 2 guys (d-ware and ratliff) to make the defense. chris canty pushing the pocket from the inside had alot to do the ware first sack season, and we never replaced him with a player with that type of power and athleticism. to me you need to the nose tackle eat blocks to let the linebackers run free but he's not a difference making type player. having dominant 3-4 ends makes a huge difference in the defense. imagine how great a front 7 would be with ware next to jj watt that would be downright scary
well we can agree to disagree. imo, it all starts with the NT. 3 years ago, Ratliff had his best year for us. Coincidence?

5 tech DEs are important, but even they are not typically supposed to be your playmakers. If you got one that's a bonus, but you don't build a 3-4 defense with the intent to make the 5 tech the star of the show. You want him to get pressure, but not as much as you'd want your 4-3 DT to get pressure. You mostly want your 5 tech to free up the LBs. Canty did a hell of job doing that for Ware. Ratliff would've done the same if he got pushed to DE, but stubborness on his part to stay at NT and stupidity of the team for not getting a real NT to force Ratliff to DE was their mistake. Guys like Wilfork/Hampton/Dareus would've taken this defense to another level. Instead, we've had 1 gap penetrating NTs like Ferg and Ratliff. If we weren't gonna get a NT, then we should've never made the transition in the first place.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...h-houston-nutt

Another possible coaching addition.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote