Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
That's why I'm for firing Cunningham, his defensive scheme just doesn't work although Schwartz may also want that system in place.
It works when you have good DEs that can recognize the run and funnel everything inside. KVB and Avril don't do it very well. The system falls apart though if the LBS are in coverage and the DTs get out of their gaps. Then it's easy to scramble for QBS(see Cutler run) and to run off tackle if someone FB/guard gets to the second level on a LB and they can't shed the block.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
It works when you have good DEs that can recognize the run and funnel everything inside. KVB and Avril don't do it very well. The system falls apart though if the LBS are in coverage and the DTs get out of their gaps. Then it's easy to scramble for QBS(see Cutler run) and to run off tackle if someone FB/guard gets to the second level on a LB and they can't shed the block.
No NFL team has perfect personnel, Cunningham has had a few years to make his system work or find one that suits the personnel he has on hand, and all I see is a complete failure to perform, and 700 throwing attempts leavers me doubting our OC as well.

Only 2 teams in the NFL have franchise QB's and don't win, San Diego and Detroit. I think we can all agree that San Diego's coaching is very weak, so it begs the question of what is wrong with the Lions???

I'll give the coaching staff one more year but it had better lead to a winning season or I'd expect the lot to be fired. What worries me is Ford's record for not making quick changes when it becomes obvious that what we have just isn't working. I don't want to see another 3 seasons go by without real success while the coaching staff keeps getting a bye. IMO, this team should be a Super Bowl contender next year with high draft picks to add to our roster, no excuses should be tolorated.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No NFL team has perfect personnel, Cunningham has had a few years to make his system work or find one that suits the personnel he has on hand, and all I see is a complete failure to perform, and 700 throwing attempts leavers me doubting our OC as well.

Only 2 teams in the NFL have franchise QB's and don't win, San Diego and Detroit. I think we can all agree that San Diego's coaching is very weak, so it begs the question of what is wrong with the Lions???
I'll give the coaching staff one more year but it had better lead to a winning season or I'd expect the lot to be fired. What worries me is Ford's record for not making quick changes when it becomes obvious that what we have just isn't working. I don't want to see another 3 seasons go by without real success while the coaching staff keeps getting a bye. IMO, this team should be a Super Bowl contender next year with high draft picks to add to our roster, no excuses should be tolorated.
The coaching is even weaker. I'm right off the Schwartz bandwagon. He's not what we need right now.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't think Mayhew or the coaches expected the DEs to flop as much as they did in 2012. Avril was coming off a good year in pass rush at least both DEs sucked in run defense always. Willie Young flashed some good things in 2011 but didn't take the next step at all, Jackson was a solid backup and KVB was average but made some vet plays in 2011. This year the last 3 sucked and Avril went from good consistent pressure to average and inconsistent. The DTs beasted this year with the emergence of Fairley and Suh doing better but Avril and company couldnt' do anything.

They also were suprised by Stafford's regression in the redzone. Sure he wasn't throwing 41 TDs but only 20. I'm glad we live and die by Stafford because I think he'll turn it around but it's still not a given. And at least they still move the ball. 11 less offensive TDs but 8 more field goals than last year showed we moved the ball especially with 17 less turnovers. Doubles don't work on Calvin in the middle of the field but in a compressed redzone that is where the doubles work.

We knew the secondary was average at best WITH Delmas and Delmas was hurt most of the year.

And Mayhew was suprised by Best. He was in all the OTAs. Took away a huge playmaker.

And special teams screwed the Lions in 2 games they should have won.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With our secondary I actually don't think Cunningham did THAT bad of a job. We ranked 14th in opponent passing yards and 16th in opponent rushing yards.

I think a fair argument can be made that we do not have the talent that supports those stats. Our secondary is truly atrocious, especially when delmas is out. We were starting other teams scrubs at safety and corner all year. Guys like Green, Carey, Silva, Wendling, Bartell, Lee all NEVER should have touched the field this year. Yet, they were the guys we were relying on.

I'm not sure some of the best DC's out there could have done better with these guys in their secondary playing regularly.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
With our secondary I actually don't think Cunningham did THAT bad of a job. We ranked 14th in opponent passing yards and 16th in opponent rushing yards.

I think a fair argument can be made that we do not have the talent that supports those stats. Our secondary is truly atrocious, especially when delmas is out. We were starting other teams scrubs at safety and corner all year. Guys like Green, Carey, Silva, Wendling, Bartell, Lee all NEVER should have touched the field this year. Yet, they were the guys we were relying on.

I'm not sure some of the best DC's out there could have done better with these guys in their secondary playing regularly.
Injuries are a great part of NFL football, every team has to deal with them and get the most they can out of their replacements, that is the NFL.
Our run defense is atrocious and it should be a lot better IMO. There is talent in the defensive front 7 yet teams run on us pretty easily. Our pass rush is also weak which exposes our secondary even more. Unless our defense improves considerably, we will not be competitive consistently. Of course, we also had a really tough schedule, last I looked the SOS for our opponents was the toughest in the NFL, so maybe I'm overreacting.

That being said, I really question throwing the ball over 700 times a season and think we need a running game if we want a solid offense, this really does bother me especially when I observed that even when we ran the ball successfully, we often ignored the running game and threw the ball 20 times in a row. Other teams with great QB's do not ignore running the ball when the opportunity presents itself and don't come close to throwing the ball 700+ times a year.

What really makes me nervous is the fact that this year's draft won't give us help with the #5 pick. There doesn't appear to be a solid defender available with that pick. Moore will go before we draft and the 3 other defenders worthy of a top 5 pick are Lotulelie DT, Hankins DT and Jones OLB, not positions we covet. We may well have to draft Joeckle LT if we want value.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our defense would be better statistically if Stafford didn't throw 90 INTs this season. Also, being able to run the ball would help.

I wonder how early we draft a RB this year. Neither Leshoure or Joique seemed to be very effective, especially catching. I wouldn't be surprised, or that disappointed really, if we grabbed Giovani Bernard in Round 2.. Hopefully we can upgrade the OL and Defense though.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I secretly hope that we trade with St Louis and then just draft Warmack and Banks with their picks. Then maybe Barrett Jones at the top of the 2nd. Reiff, Warmack, and Jones on our oline. That would solve the running problem pretty quickly. Maybe we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder from St Louis as well to take a DE, and then grab a safety in the 3rd round with our pick. Its a little offense heavy...but if we're throwing 700+ times again, then maybe we should have a better oline?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I secretly hope that we trade with St Louis and then just draft Warmack and Banks with their picks. Then maybe Barrett Jones at the top of the 2nd. Reiff, Warmack, and Jones on our oline. That would solve the running problem pretty quickly. Maybe we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder from St Louis as well to take a DE, and then grab a safety in the 3rd round with our pick. Its a little offense heavy...but if we're throwing 700+ times again, then maybe we should have a better oline?
Trouble with that scenario is that the Rams need OL help as well. I love Warmack but I cannot see him getting past the #12 pick. He has top 10 talent and is probably the top OG prospect of the last decade. Mike Iupati went #13 so I believe Warmack will go higher. Banks is strictly a zone guy imo, He lacks elite speed and may struggle in man to man coverage.
Jones at the top of the 2nd would be great for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously a trade down is the best case scenario for us. That's why the future movements will dictate our draft so muc. If a QB can sneak into the top 10 thats great for us, if Joekle falls to #5, we could quite possibly move down for a team in great need of a OT (zona and stl come to mind).

However right now, I don't see anyone falling to us at 5 that would entice a team to trade up.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Obviously a trade down is the best case scenario for us. That's why the future movements will dictate our draft so muc. If a QB can sneak into the top 10 thats great for us, if Joekle falls to #5, we could quite possibly move down for a team in great need of a OT (zona and stl come to mind).

However right now, I don't see anyone falling to us at 5 that would entice a team to trade up.
VERY well stated, I agree. Glennon is a hot name right now? He might get the needle moving for one of these new regimes? Although in fantasy collecting picks is ideal, reality says otherwise given the talent that has been plucked from the later rounds in recent drafts. How many rookies are contributing in the play-off's? It's crazy really.

So with Mayhew's "smartest guy in the room" jockeying for LB Tahir Whitehead last year, we lost a 4th round pick (ugh). So he must do damage (in a good way) with the top 3 picks since his track record for finding 4-7 round talent is not good. Willie Young (still unprooven) & Sammie Hill is ok, but this team should demand 3 starters from this draft, from those top 3 picks. His & Schwartz's future is staked to it at this point.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
VERY well stated, I agree. Glennon is a hot name right now? He might get the needle moving for one of these new regimes? Although in fantasy collecting picks is ideal, reality says otherwise given the talent that has been plucked from the later rounds in recent drafts. How many rookies are contributing in the play-off's? It's crazy really.

So with Mayhew's "smartest guy in the room" jockeying for LB Tahir Whitehead last year, we lost a 4th round pick (ugh). So he must do damage (in a good way) with the top 3 picks since his track record for finding 4-7 round talent is not good. Willie Young (still unprooven) & Sammie Hill is ok, but this team should demand 3 starters from this draft, from those top 3 picks. His & Schwartz's future is staked to it at this point.
I'm going to give Whitehead this year before I call that a bad pick. How many rookie 5th round picks are starters right away? Whitehead was 5th round talent still even though we used a future 4th. Future picks are always worth one whole round lower so it was the right value since we didn't want to give up any other picks in 2012. And in taking Green and Travis Lewis they were right not to give up additional picks in 2012 IMO to get that extra 5th rounder. Plus the 4th rounder this year would be a rookie. Whitehead has a year of experience in the system and strength under his belt. Say they took an OLB in Round 4 this year, didn't take Greenwood and just took Whitehead in Round 5 last year. Whitehead would have the advantage over that OLB rookie.

If you want to be pissed about a wasted pick. 2011 Doug Hogue was a wasted pick since he's no longer on the roster.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm going to give Whitehead this year before I call that a bad pick. How many rookie 5th round picks are starters right away? Whitehead was 5th round talent still even though we used a future 4th. Future picks are always worth one whole round lower so it was the right value since we didn't want to give up any other picks in 2012. And in taking Green and Travis Lewis they were right not to give up additional picks in 2012 IMO to get that extra 5th rounder. Plus the 4th rounder this year would be a rookie. Whitehead has a year of experience in the system and strength under his belt. Say they took an OLB in Round 4 this year, didn't take Greenwood and just took Whitehead in Round 5 last year. Whitehead would have the advantage over that OLB rookie.

If you want to be pissed about a wasted pick. 2011 Doug Hogue was a wasted pick since he's no longer on the roster.
Here is what I'm pissed about ... even with the 10 win season under Mayhew's GM watch, they still have 2x as many losses as wins. (22-43 or something?) Mayhew acts so smug & confident, when his drafts (one of his largest measuring sticks as a GM) only get's the team a 1st or 2nd rounder each draft. Stafford/Pettigrew/Delmas(?), Suh, Fairley,Leshoure (pot heads) Reiff, Broyles(?).

He has not proven with his BPA strategy to be successful in rounds (3)4-7 that is my 1st point. That's a fact, b/c those players that are left on the roster from those draft spots are Sammie Hill, Jason Fox, Willie Young & they are simply depth guys at best. (tough to judge 2012's picks since they hardly made the field)

That's not even saying Derrick Williams as a 3rd rounder is not on the roster. My 2nd point is the trading of multiple picks to get back into a round to get a guy ... 2010, 2011 & 2012 this "strategy" was taken to target Jahvid Best, Mikell Leshoure, & Tahir Whitehead. (This is NOT a BPA strategy btw) Each man cost them multiple picks & have not performed as 2 players could/would perform. Here is my proof of that ...
In the Leshour trade alone Seattle turned their picks into Richard Sherman (starting CB), John Moffitt (starting G), Kris Durham (WR that ironically ended up with Detroit). Could we use a G & CB of their caliber right about now & had Joique Bell do the heavy lifting? Oh yeah! Just say'n ...

Speaking of Seattle, many "experts" laughed at them for their 2012 draft. Well they won a play-off game (nearly 2) under the direction of 4 stud rookie starters!! Everyone knows QB Wilson (3rd rd), but 3rd down RB Turbin (4th rd), defensive stud LB Wagner (2nd rd) & DE Irvin (1st rd) ... All rookies, all 4 impact guys from this past draft. None of them are "wait & see" or "when he's healthy" guys. Wagner was one of the leading tacklers in the NFC! They also added some depth guys with Sweezey in the 7th rd etc so it not only was a solid at the top, it was more solid in the middle & stayed solid in the end.

So if this BPA strategy works, & his scouting ablilites are as solid as HE thinks, Whitehead & Lewis are our starting OLB's in 2013, Levy & Durant can walk. Spievey starts @ S & Willie Young & Jason Fox should have no issues filling in for KVB & Backus when they depart next year, right? WRONG. Why we would trust his skills moving forward if none of these guys are starting caliber talent at this point? Detroit still needs DE pressure (Young did not provide it) a ball hawk S (Spievey is not it), a LT (maybe Reiff but Fox has not seen any action in 3 seasons) & Lewis, Lewis & Whitehead were deactiveted more than not so it's tough to see what they are as players, so they likely need starting LB's too that do more than bust wedges on ST ...

I think I heard that 9 of the top 10 teams drafting in the top 10 made at least 1 move of a GM or head coach. All but 1 ... our lovely Detroit Lions. It had to be WR coach Shawn Jefferson's fault right? (haha 4 wins & OC/DC Head coach & GM all stay in tact) The Lions are a dream job, you can perform well below average while getting paid millions, yet keep your job.

That's my frustration rant ...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Lions are snake bit sometimes but Mayhew can find talent. And the problem isn't the lack of 5th-7th round picks producing right away like Whitehead and Lewis. Those guys take time and to me it's almost pure luck when you find a Sherman. You're comparing Wagner, Wilson to them which are earlier picks. Sherman was a good pick but alot of teams passed on him and Sherman seems to have some character issues with the trash talking. I would take Sherman over Hogue obviously any day.

Let's compare to Seattle who we beat by the way and play in the NFC West. Where Detroit went 2-2 this year. Could Detroit have a 3-3 division record in the that division sure instead of 0-6 against 3 division teams that were 10-6 or better.

They had Bobby Wagner healthy all year, Broyles hurt his OTHER knee missing 5 games and slow start the first 4 to be safe because we had Burleson and Young. I don't believe Wagner played until Week 5 or so.

3rd round pick Wilson stayed healthy and is a solid to good QB. 3rd round Bill Bentley hurt his shoulder in the 3rd preseason game and got shut down after 5 games.

They had 2 picks in Round 1 in 2010. So did Detroit. Earl Thomas stayed healthy, Best despite no symptoms couldn't play. Okung is a stud now that's he finally healthy, Suh is a very good DT but needs work on the run defense. No qualms with taking Suh over Okung.

3rd round 2010. Spievey has been hurt. Concussion crap. Chancellor was good pick up in Round 5. But once again snakebit with safety injuries. I don't think Seattle would do too well if Chancellor and Thomas were out for 11 and 8 games each.

2009 pick Max Unger is a stud center. 2012 Delmas was hurt most of the year but a good safety. Once again, Seattle stays healthy but Detroit has a major injury.

Titus Young vs Golden Tate. Young is the better player just need to get his head adjusted. Plus the knee injury this year didnt' help him or his attitude.

2009 Stafford vs Aaron Curry. No brainer Stafford. He had elite year in 2011 but just solid in 2012. Needs to get back to where he was but he needs his weapons, more than just Calvin.

2012 Irvin vs Reiff. TBD as Reiff looks like at least a good RT. Irvin started because Clemons got hurt but Irvin has some good pass rush skills

2011 Fairley over Carpenter. all day every day.

Key Free agents: Lions KVB hit the old age wall and Burleson got hurt. Seattles free agents of Sidney Rice, Alan Branch and Chris Clemons stayed healthy and did well. Plus Clemons is much better than KVB.

2011 3rd Round. Moffitt sucks. Peterman is better than him though Peterman is widely inconsistent (great 2009, terrible 2010, good PB 2011 but bad run block 2011, bad pass block 2012, solid run block 2012). LeShoure has some skills but needs better run blocking. Seattle runs the ball well because Lynch is a former 1st round pick with character concerns that Seattle took a gamble with a 4th and 5th roudner. That gamble finally paid off but the Best gamble didn't. When it did with Best was a 5-0 start and playoffs. And Durham is a Lion. So I'll take LeShoure over Moffitt and cutting a 4th round pick. Seattle gets better run blockign from a stud LT and Center. Lions have better guards and Right Tackle than Seattle. Miller blocked better than Pettigrew too.

If Best,Delmas, Stafford, Calvin,Suh,Pettigrew stay healthy(not even Fairley and LeShoure), the Lions started a season 6-2. When someone was missing they are .500 most of the time 2010 second half, 2011 second half, 2012 first half and the lone except is the 0-8 finish this year when it losing at Minnesota and 3 back breaking home game and then trying to play offense with just Calvin the last 4 games of the season against 2 playoff teams, one 10-6 team and at Arizona who has a good defense.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 01-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Lions are snake bit sometimes but Mayhew can find talent. And the problem isn't the lack of 5th-7th round picks producing right away like Whitehead and Lewis. Those guys take time and to me it's almost pure luck when you find a Sherman. You're comparing Wagner, Wilson to them which are earlier picks. Sherman was a good pick but alot of teams passed on him and Sherman seems to have some character issues with the trash talking. I would take Sherman over Hogue obviously any day.

Let's compare to Seattle who we beat by the way and play in the NFC West. Where Detroit went 2-2 this year. Could Detroit have a 3-3 division record in the that division sure instead of 0-6 against 3 division teams that were 10-6 or better.

They had Bobby Wagner healthy all year, Broyles hurt his OTHER knee missing 5 games and slow start the first 4 to be safe because we had Burleson and Young. I don't believe Wagner played until Week 5 or so.

3rd round pick Wilson stayed healthy and is a solid to good QB. 3rd round Bill Bentley hurt his shoulder in the 3rd preseason game and got shut down after 5 games.

They had 2 picks in Round 1 in 2010. So did Detroit. Earl Thomas stayed healthy, Best despite no symptoms couldn't play. Okung is a stud now that's he finally healthy, Suh is a very good DT but needs work on the run defense. No qualms with taking Suh over Okung.

3rd round 2010. Spievey has been hurt. Concussion crap. Chancellor was good pick up in Round 5. But once again snakebit with safety injuries. I don't think Seattle would do too well if Chancellor and Thomas were out for 11 and 8 games each.

2009 pick Max Unger is a stud center. 2012 Delmas was hurt most of the year but a good safety. Once again, Seattle stays healthy but Detroit has a major injury.

Titus Young vs Golden Tate. Young is the better player just need to get his head adjusted. Plus the knee injury this year didnt' help him or his attitude.

2009 Stafford vs Aaron Curry. No brainer Stafford. He had elite year in 2011 but just solid in 2012. Needs to get back to where he was but he needs his weapons, more than just Calvin.

2012 Irvin vs Reiff. TBD as Reiff looks like at least a good RT. Irvin started because Clemons got hurt but Irvin has some good pass rush skills

2011 Fairley over Carpenter. all day every day.

Key Free agents: Lions KVB hit the old age wall and Burleson got hurt. Seattles free agents of Sidney Rice, Alan Branch and Chris Clemons stayed healthy and did well. Plus Clemons is much better than KVB.

2011 3rd Round. Moffitt sucks. Peterman is better than him though Peterman is widely inconsistent (great 2009, terrible 2010, good PB 2011 but bad run block 2011, bad pass block 2012, solid run block 2012). LeShoure has some skills but needs better run blocking. Seattle runs the ball well because Lynch is a former 1st round pick with character concerns that Seattle took a gamble with a 4th and 5th roudner. That gamble finally paid off but the Best gamble didn't. When it did with Best was a 5-0 start and playoffs. And Durham is a Lion. So I'll take LeShoure over Moffitt and cutting a 4th round pick. Seattle gets better run blockign from a stud LT and Center. Lions have better guards and Right Tackle than Seattle. Miller blocked better than Pettigrew too.

If Best,Delmas, Stafford, Calvin,Suh,Pettigrew stay healthy(not even Fairley and LeShoure), the Lions started a season 6-2. When someone was missing they are .500 most of the time 2010 second half, 2011 second half, 2012 first half and the lone except is the 0-8 finish this year when it losing at Minnesota and 3 back breaking home game and then trying to play offense with just Calvin the last 4 games of the season against 2 playoff teams, one 10-6 team and at Arizona who has a good defense.
Snake bit seems legite ... Funny that not until looking at your breakdown, did it accure to me just how many of the draft picks Detroit hauled in, have injuries. Delmas, Spievey, Bentley, Best, Broyles, Fairely yet to play full season(s) & Stafford, Leshoure, Young, Pettigrew have all had significant injuries that lead to missed time. That's 10 draft picks (at least) taken in the top 3 rounds under Mayhew that have been injured ( not just "hurt" like 80% of the NFL players play with) & missed significant chunks of time. Obviously not all on Mayhew but there is something to all that noise, especially now knowing their were red flags regarding several of these players with injures in college. Makes me wonder if one of my favorite players, Jarvis Jones, makes sense for Detroit with his USC injury? Regardless, not 1 2012 draft pick was a regular starter on a 4-12 team. Careful how you define finding talent. If they stay put for 2013, They really need to nail 3 starters with 3 picks in the top 70. my dumb uncle could do that?! (hahaha) That was where I was trying to go with the Seattle comparison, that could be Detroit next year ... Back in the playoff hunt if they maximize those picks into players that are going to wear shoulder pads on Sunday not just shorts & t's on the sidline from either being inactive or injured.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Snake bit seems legite ... Funny that not until looking at your breakdown, did it accure to me just how many of the draft picks Detroit hauled in, have injuries. Delmas, Spievey, Bentley, Best, Broyles, Fairely yet to play full season(s) & Stafford, Leshoure, Young, Pettigrew have all had significant injuries that lead to missed time. That's 10 draft picks (at least) taken in the top 3 rounds under Mayhew that have been injured ( not just "hurt" like 80% of the NFL players play with) & missed significant chunks of time. Obviously not all on Mayhew but there is something to all that noise, especially now knowing their were red flags regarding several of these players with injures in college. Makes me wonder if one of my favorite players, Jarvis Jones, makes sense for Detroit with his USC injury? Regardless, not 1 2012 draft pick was a regular starter on a 4-12 team. Careful how you define finding talent. If they stay put for 2013, They really need to nail 3 starters with 3 picks in the top 70. my dumb uncle could do that?! (hahaha) That was where I was trying to go with the Seattle comparison, that could be Detroit next year ... Back in the playoff hunt if they maximize those picks into players that are going to wear shoulder pads on Sunday not just shorts & t's on the sidline from either being inactive or injured.
Agreed Detroit needs to shed these injuries and hit in the draft. Plus have Reiff, Broyles and Bentley contribute more next year. It could happen as Fairley and LeShoure prove that from 2011 to 2012. Plus retain some important free agents in Houston and Delmas(but get Delmas and Best insurance with other players at safety and RB)

The only time Detroit was 6-2 for half a season(first half 2011) they were running on all high draft pick cylinders with Best and Delmas and Stafford and Pettigrew and Calvin and Avril and Young playing and playing well. Plus they got more out of Tulloch and Burleson. Heck they were still missing Fairley(4 games in 2011) and LeShoure (16 games) though and the 2 games they lost Best didn't finish(SF) or play(Atl). Mayhew found the talent but the talent can't seem to stay on the field.

2010 2nd half, 2011 second half, 2012 first half they had some injuries and tougher competition and went 4-4 in all 3 of those half seasons. I think this is the most accurate depiction of Detroit right now as we will have some injuries to deal with every year and will face stiff competition especially in division for years. Plus we haven't replaced Best yet or proven Delmas can stay healthy or added Delmas insurance in the draft.

2012 second half, they had a ton of injuries (basically all weapons but CJ for 4 plus games Best, Burleson,Young,Broyles and Pettigrew) , DT injuries to Fairley/Williams and (Bentley,Lacey,Spievey, and many secondary injuries with limited Delmas against 4 playoff teams to start the last half of the season). Plus all 4 DEs unexpectedly played like junk in 2012 when that wasn't the case in 2010 or 2011.

0-8 finish is not a true depiction of the Lions in the recent past. Get Houston and Delmas back and one starting OLB (Durant IMO or Daryl Smith), choose either Backus or Gosder to pair with Reiff, draft a DE and safety and guard and find a speed RB(Justin Forsett or draft pick?) and speed WR (Devery Henderson shouldn't be too costly?) and get more out of healthy Broyles, Burleson, Tulloch, Delmas and Pettigrew next year. Hopefully Broyles doesn't take too much time and LeShoure/Bell stops fumbling at key points.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 01-16-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I'd be tempted to dump Delmas, he will never, ever have a complete season, injuries are always going to happen to him, the way he plays, so why tie up big $$$'s in him. bite the bullet and find somebody more reliable.

0-8 is a real sign that the team quite on Schwartz no matter how much we don't want to believe it. At some point the players gave up on the season indicating to me that the coaching staff simply lost the team. It is actually pretty hard for any team to lose 8 in a row, injuries or no injuries.

I really thought Detroit was ready to take the next step last season because that is the trademark for successful franchises. Now my mind is filled again with doubts aimed squarely at the coaching staff. Does it have what it takes to take the next step, in being a consistent winning team or was it all just a mirage that has come crumbing down back to reality.

Our SOS gives me some hope because last year's was so difficult, but if I don't see real improvement, minimally a 10 or 11 win season next year, I'll have to accept that our coaching staff needs to be replaced top to bottom, and if Ford refuses to make that move after another disappointing season, I'll finally know that Detroit will never be a solid winning franchise while he owns the team. G-d prove me wrong, please.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me...its all about Matt Stafford and his ability to outperform Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler. He was hurt or just plain inconsistent last year, but in 2011 it looked like he could challenge Rodgers for the best QB in the division. I wouldn't argue if they decided to go with a Robert Woods type in the 2nd. Titus Young should not be on the roster next season, and Burleson and Broyles were hurt and lack the speed of Woods/Young. If Woods can open the offense up even more, then maybe the linebackers will be another foot away from Pettigrew and allow him that extra millisecond to help not drop the ball. Plus, Atlanta should be a good model to follow in developing a young QB and complementing an offense. We won't be able to sign a speed FA, so the draft is the only place to replace Titus. He is such a waste and pain in the ass.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

I agree Prowler. There are two ways to fix things
1) Stafford becomes elite again in 2013 with less turnovers, better 3rd down % and better great redzone play
or
2) the hard way, fix the majority of these things: the run defense, penalties, secondary/LB coverage especially the 4th Quarter, having 33 turnovers, lack of turnovers forced, better field position through special teams
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Delmas injuries make him cheaper though. I would still draft a safety in Round 2 or 3 as Delmas insurance if you will. Plus it never hurts to have two good safeties playing together. At worst it would be one good safety if Delmas gets hurt again.

There are alot of good safeties in free agency though. Jarius Byrd, William Moore, Dashon Goldson, if one is cut loose, Detroit should pursue them once they free up the cap space by cutting the deadweight KVB, Peterman, maybe Raiola/Burleson pay cuts and extending Stafford for cap room.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default We have a ton of Free agents this year

Some represent a goodly amount of money:
Avril's number is 12.5 million
KVB 7.0 million
Durant and Levy no number
Corey Williams no number
Delmas no number
Chris Houston no number
Cherilus
These guys are all starters and have no replacement currently on the roster except maybe Riley Rieff.
Avril, Delmas and Houston will be looking to break the bank.
This relates to the draft in that KVB 's numbers are unrealistic for a player at his career point. Avril's number will be ridiculous and someone will pay him. Same with Houston, someone will pay him. The key being someone not in Detroit will be paying them. Replacements, particularly affordable replacements, can only come from the draft.
Hello Pass rushers, hello CB, hello safeties.
There is only so much to go around.

I believe your Lions first round choice will be from among the DE/OLB guys DaMontre Moore, Bjeorn Werner, Jarvis Jones, and maybe Ansah or Jordan.
I believe whatever safety they have rated next when they draft in the second round will be the choice there. That will be Phillip Thomas or Elam or Jefferson.

Ther is a slight chance they go Milliner and then a safety or DE but reasonably I think they go with the DE of choice and then safety.

1st) DaMontre Moore
2nd) Phillip Thomas
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default We have a ton of Free agents this year

Some represent a goodly amount of money:
Avril's number is 12.5 million
KVB 10.7 million
Nate Burleson 6.5 Million
Durant and Levy no number
Corey Williams no number
Delmas no number
Chris Houston no number
Cherilus no number
These guys are all starters and have no replacement currently on the roster except maybe Riley Rieff.
Avril, Delmas and Houston will be looking to break the bank.
This relates to the draft in that KVB 's numbers are unrealistic for a player at his career point. Avril's number will be ridiculous and someone will pay him. Same with Houston, someone will pay him. The key being someone not in Detroit will be paying them. Replacements, particularly affordable replacements, can only come from the draft.
Hello Pass rushers, hello CB, hello safeties.
There is only so much to go around.

I believe your Lions first round choice will be from among the DE/OLB guys DaMontre Moore, Bjeorn Werner, Jarvis Jones, and maybe Ansah or Jordan.
I believe whatever safety they have rated next when they draft in the second round will be the choice there. That will be Phillip Thomas or Elam or Jefferson.

Ther is a slight chance they go Milliner and then a safety or DE but reasonably I think they go with the DE of choice and then safety.

That means:
DaMontre Moore
Phillip Thomas
is a realistic picture of our draft barring something catastrophic occuring.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Default Sorry I was checking the numbers and had to re-post

Soooooooooooooooo,
That's the whole picture.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders taught me to not overpay for elite injury prone safeties...and Delmas isn't even Bob Sanders. He is a stabilizing influence if he comes cheap, but I would make sure that his contract was easily cut-able.

There are so many things wrong with this team, that making Stafford Great is definitely the simplest option. If we fix our run defense, then teams will still throw on us, if attempt to fix the secondary, then teams will still run...and each of those fixes requires 2-3 players. It would be great if we could fix one of those areas, and find a TY Hilton later in the draft.

I really wish I knew how the salary cap stuff was going to shake out. ESPN had us at over a million over the cap. I want to know who can be restructed, who is being cut, and how much room we really need to fill out the roster.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

It definitely doesn't help that there are 3 teams out there with close to $50 million in cap space. Even the Patriots have $18.6 million to add people.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

Prowler's Newb Guide