Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: QB E.J. Manuel, FSU

If you’d like a thread about a prospect of your choosing, just send me a PM and I’ll make it ASAP!

Per request:

QB E.J. Manuel, FSU

#3 - 6'5 – 238 lbs. – 22 years old

Thoughts on him? Possible first round QB?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think this is a very crucial year for Manuel. I won't claim to have seen a lot of him but I did catch quite a few FSU games. He really did a lot of great things and his athleticism is really good. However, he did get erratic at times and looked plain bad. He has a great deal of potential though and one of the Noles I will be watching closely this year.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-edit for being a dumb dumb-I think if he plays in all of FSU's games this year, he's a lock for the first round.

Love his arm and the way he throws the football. Fast delivery with really impressive zip. Also has some wiggle and ability to run, although he's far from outstanding in that regard. Tall and has good bulk, will take a hit to make a throw.

Needs to stay healthy and show consistency. But he really only needs to stay healthy to be a 1st rounder, in my opinion. Some team will fall in love with his arm.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 05-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I think if he plays 16 games, he's a lock for the first round.
I would say he belongs as the #1 overall pick if he finds a way to play in two more games than what's possible, given that Florida State will play a max of 14 games if they make the ACC Championship and then go to a bowl game.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I would say he belongs as the #1 overall pick if he finds a way to play in two more games than what's possible, given that Florida State will play a max of 14 games if they make the ACC Championship and then go to a bowl game.
Ahem. This would be very true. I had just woken up for a nap for that gem of insight.

Correction. If he plays in all the games FSU plays this year.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a lot to like and I'm feeling pretty confident that he'll be a first rounder, but I'm not sure he battles for the top 10 or anything.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never been a fan and would need to put together an earth shattering year to move into the discussion for me. He reminds me of Jarrod Johnson and he could face a Jarrod Johnson situation this year with Clint Trickett playing the role of Ryan Tannehill.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where does EJ Manuel's draft stock stand now? I hadn't seen much of him but I've started watching recently and honestly just based on first glance and gut feeling he's looking like the #1 QB in this draft to me. I've obviously got to review it more but why aren't more people talking about this guy?
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

inconsistent! inconsistent! inconsistent! He is a pretty good athlete but I really think he should be drafted in the later rounds and groomed for like the next 2-3 years with a good QB coach to work on his footwork, reading defenses, and blitz recognition. Of course teams now a days give up on players after like a year its a toss up!

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a guy who will look incredible one game and then terrible the next. Reminds me a lot of Terrelle Pryor. Definitely don't think he should be picked in the first, and frankly isn't a prospect who appeals to me very much, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go in the third (second would raise my eyebrows) just because of his physical profile. I mean, Brock Osweiler went in the second.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
He's a guy who will look incredible one game and then terrible the next. Reminds me a lot of Terrelle Pryor. Definitely don't think he should be picked in the first, and frankly isn't a prospect who appeals to me very much, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go in the third (second would raise my eyebrows) just because of his physical profile. I mean, Brock Osweiler went in the second.
The Osweiler hate must stop; But c'mon, he's better then Pryor. And actually, look at how Pryor looked in his lone start-not bad. With the trend now leaning toward the run/pass types, if Manuel has a solid senior week(I'll wager he will), he'll be considered the next athletic project that can be developed for a year or so within a sound system, then blow up when he's ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't really 'hating,' although I wasn't a fan. He was obviously drafted for his tools, not his tape. I'm saying I expect Manuel to be similarly evaluated. Same with Pryor. Saying a QB should go in the third round isn't hating; it's saying I don't think he's an NFL starter.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wasn't really 'hating,' although I wasn't a fan. He was obviously drafted for his tools, not his tape. I'm saying I expect Manuel to be similarly evaluated. Same with Pryor. Saying a QB should go in the third round isn't hating; it's saying I don't think he's an NFL starter.
Wow, I don't know what to say. Manuel is every bit as good as a Ponder or Locker coming out and look where their were drafted? This guy is the perfect 2nd round pick for a team needing a QB in the near future, maybe even a late first to a team with an older QB in place.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His flaws remind me so much of Brett Favre's flaws, but he obviously doesn't have Favre's natural athletic gifts. Favre was the best "bad" Quarterback to ever play the game. The issue I'm wrestling with is whether or not Manuel has the physical skills to make up for being a "bad" Quarterback.

Last edited by WCH : 02-17-2013 at 05:11 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
His flaws remind me so much of Brett Favre's flaws, but he obviously doesn't have Favre's natural athletic gifts. Favre was the best "bad" Quarterback to ever play the game. The issue I'm wrestling with is whether or not Manuel has the physical skills to make up for being a "bad" Quarterback.
Manuel is bigger, taller and faster. He obviously doesn't have that rare arm, but it isn't like his arm is weak. No one is saying he is perfect, but really, what is the justification for people rating Christian Ponder a high first rounder and not Manuel? I don't think Ponder is better than him in one area, yet where were the tons of threads about what a bad QB he was and how he was overrated? I just don't get it. His worse completion % in his career was 65%, he was 6 and 1 against Florida and Miami, he lead the most prolific offense in FSU history, he is a very mobile 6'5", 240 pounds, he is smart and comes from a great family, absolutely no character or maturity concerns whatsoever. Does he show inconsistency? Yes, but that's enough to drop him 2-3 rounds?? And with his work ethic and the likelihood of better offensive coaching why wouldn't and NFL team want to work with the tools he possesses? Wasn't that the Jack Locker argument? By what standard is Manuel being judged??? There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he is better than right now, than Glennon and Nassib.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 02-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Locker is a fair comparison, but Locker's flaws haven't gone away, so that has to cause some concern. Lets be clear about a few things on Manuel. For one, he is not accurate. His offense juiced his completion percentage, but that doesn't mean he throws an accurate pass. The tape is pretty clear on this.
For two, he struggles with making reads and progresisons. He's a smart kid in general, but that doesn't mean he processes information in the way a starting NFL QB needs to. Maybe he will learn, but he hasn't shown progress.

Last, he seems to struggle with pressure. He's had some bad games when they needed him most and he also seems to need a clean pocket to succeed. That's not something you get much in the NFL. He doesn't step up in the pocket in the face of pressure and he gets happy feet.

Ponder does do things that Manuel doesn't and thats why he went ahead of him. Ponder has much less of a ceiling, but he's more accurate and he can make reads and not screw up. Those are huge keys for an NFL QB.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
WHy the Broncos took Osweiler I'll never get. That pick should have been an OG, DT,MLB or CB to help Peyton win titles short term.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Locker is a fair comparison, but Locker's flaws haven't gone away, so that has to cause some concern. Lets be clear about a few things on Manuel. For one, he is not accurate. His offense juiced his completion percentage, but that doesn't mean he throws an accurate pass. The tape is pretty clear on this.
For two, he struggles with making reads and progresisons. He's a smart kid in general, but that doesn't mean he processes information in the way a starting NFL QB needs to. Maybe he will learn, but he hasn't shown progress.

Last, he seems to struggle with pressure. He's had some bad games when they needed him most and he also seems to need a clean pocket to succeed. That's not something you get much in the NFL. He doesn't step up in the pocket in the face of pressure and he gets happy feet.

Ponder does do things that Manuel doesn't and thats why he went ahead of him. Ponder has much less of a ceiling, but he's more accurate and he can make reads and not screw up. Those are huge keys for an NFL QB.
First of all, Christian Ponder's feet were "happier" than Manuel. Secondly, he threw for a lower career completion %. Manuel TD to INT ratio was similar. Yet one was taken in the area you take a franchise QB. In the pros, he has thrown 31 TD to 25 INTs which is not exactly setting the world on fire. If he is a top 11 pick, there is no way Manuel is a 3rd rounder. Finally, Ponder throws the ball a mere 36 miles per hour.

As far as his passing, Manuel can make all the throws, he just needs to be consistent. He was the BEST of the QBs at the Senior Bowl. This is someone a coach can work with to develop consistency. Another thing to consider is that his athleticism will allow for him to be a candidate to run a pistol offense.