Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Do you think Chip Kelly will succeed in the NFL?

I'm sure he's got a lot of supporters and doubters, and thought this would be a decent thread for discussion. I'm really curious about his system. Will he be the next flameout like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, or Dennis Erickson or will he be the next success story like Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, or Tom Coughlin? Is his system a good fit for the NFL or will it be a flash in the pan?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm sure he's got a lot of supporters and doubters, and thought this would be a decent thread for discussion. I'm really curious about his system. Will he be the next flameout like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, or Dennis Erickson or will he be the next success story like Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, or Tom Coughlin? Is his system a good fit for the NFL or will it be a flash in the pan?
I think he'll succeed.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love him as an NFL coach. I wish the Jags or Bear would have taken him. For the Bears, I think his quick passes would have minimized the offensive line issues. I have doubts about how Marshall would fit into that type of offense though. For the Jags, I think he could have gotten something out of Gabbert. The system would probably be more like he ran in college. Alas, he goes to one of my most hated teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously being an Eagles fan I HOPE it will work. Being realistic though, I do not think he can run his offense exactly how he ran it at UO.

He can run the no huddle but he may have to slow it down a little more than he is used to in the college game. A snap every 13-20 seconds in the NFL will likely lead to some injuries.

He will have to block a few more guys, guys in the college game aren't athletic enough to make you pay if you leave a few of them unblocked to get up to the next level. Oregon doesn't just leave the backside end unblocked....they sometimes have as many as 3 down linemen unblocked, that won't fly in the NFL.

He will have to get his players to buy into doing some things at practice that they may not have done/like to do in the past, because the conditioning they do at UO is INSANE, and it needed to be with how many plays their offense runs and how much that leaves the defense on the field.

In the end this guy has some hurdles to jump but the guy is an innovator and a great leader. He coaches with a chip on his shoulder (no pun intended) and his teams seem to follow that. He will adapt, and I think guys will follow him. Like most things in the league it will likely work right away because its something they haven't seen before, teams will adapt and as will he. He's too smart not too IMO.

I had to watch him gash SC for too long, now he goes to lead one of my teams...it will be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know it sounds dumb to say but if he gets a QB then yes.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is gonna take some time for Kelley to get a good season or play off run. But if he can land a good mobile QB ( either keeping Vick or new one ) He should do alright in a year or so. They got some great speed players on the Eagles team with a few draft young guys at wide out or TE I think his offense with some minor changes will work in the NFL. Like others have said it won't be able to as fast as he did at Oregon.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably not.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can someone teach 49erNation to speak english?

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He learned under coaches who used a traditional WCO.

I'm sure he can take the same concepts from his offense and implemented them similar to the way the Patriots have this season while running a base WCO using spread concepts.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like all HC's in the NFL, you cannot win without a franchise QB and I don't see one in his future unless the Eagles get awfully lucky.
Reid made a career out of getting one year's production out of no name QB's who couldn't repeat it under another HC, so I really have my doubts on how much production Kelly will get out of Foles.
I wish the Eagles fans luck because they could be in for a long bumpy ride.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll have an OK season and take the first big college pay day that comes along. Petrino 2.0
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
He'll have an OK season and take the first big college pay day that comes along. Petrino 2.0
I agree, as soon as he realizes like Saban did, that you cannot win in the NFL today without a franchise QB, and sees clearly, how tough they are to come by, it will be good bye Philly and hello some SEC team or perhaps USC.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

You dont just magically walk into a team with a franchise QB. People were quick to want to fire Shanahan before he got his hands on RG3 and look how that paid off. Chip may very well need all 5 years on that contract before you really see things take off. There may not be a QB worth it this year, they may suck...but next year when you may see some names like Teddy Bridgewater, and the possibility of reuniting with a guy like Mariota...watch out, those are guys who may be his game changer.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It depends on what he's being paid in Philly. If he's being paid like an elite coach in Philly, then no college will even bother to match it.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 AM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

....well, another Big Name college coach puts his integrity to the test.

If his intelligence and approach to the game is as good as people have speculated, he'll water down his style of play for his first few years so the players can adjust to the new system- and so Kelly can better adjust to the increased pace of the NFL- and pick up the slack once new pieces to the puzzle come in.

But that's just white noise coming out of my mouth. What I really need to see is how his Work Ethic holds up to Professional Scrutiny and whether or not he can take the hits that will undoubtedly come his way in the media when he DOESN'T become a miracle worker overnight.

In the past thirty years, how many College Head Coaches have gone on to successful NFL Coaching Careers?
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post

He will have to block a few more guys, guys in the college game aren't athletic enough to make you pay if you leave a few of them unblocked to get up to the next level. Oregon doesn't just leave the backside end unblocked....they sometimes have as many as 3 down linemen unblocked, that won't fly in the NFL.
That's not true, the inside zone option by design leaves one player "un-blocked" because he's the read. They usually have 5 offensive lineman against 6 defensive guys on the box, so the answer to that extra defensive player is to make him commit to either the runner or the QB and whenever he commits to one the football goes to the other side.

It's all about numbers and actually the backside player is not unblocked, he in theory is being blocked (not physically) by the QB with the read. In conclussion he never lets 3 guys go unblocked at the line of scrimage, at least by design.
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chip Kelly's offensive system is based on matchups and numbers. He's always looking for a numerical advantage, whether it be with a quick screen with the wide receiver on the outside, a run up the middle of the field when there are only 6 guys on the box, getting a RB or WR on a linebacker, etc.

That's what Chip is all about: getting the best matchup and taking advantage of it, I do believe he will be able to adjust his system to the NFL effectively not necessarily by implementing the Zone Option (which he will to some extent) but by taking advantage of those situations just like the Pats do.
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Even if he doesn't succeed in the NFL as a whole (i.e. playoffs, Super Bowl etc)...

His offense will continue to terrorize Monte Kiffin :)

You can probably pencil the Cowboys in for two big W's on the Eagles schedule for the next 2+ years.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm typically skeptical of college coaches who have had no NFL experience at any level.

If you look at all the recent successful college coaches they've had some type of NFL experience in their careers (minus Jimmy Johnson).

We'll see. He's either gonna be great or a terrible failure. There's no in btw with him.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do the Eagles keep Vick around for Kelly or is that contract just too much?
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
You dont just magically walk into a team with a franchise QB. People were quick to want to fire Shanahan before he got his hands on RG3 and look how that paid off. Chip may very well need all 5 years on that contract before you really see things take off. There may not be a QB worth it this year, they may suck...but next year when you may see some names like Teddy Bridgewater, and the possibility of reuniting with a guy like Mariota...watch out, those are guys who may be his game changer.
The trouble is that college HC's usually don't stick it out after they realize how long it may take to actually get a QB, ask Saban, Spurrier and Petrino.
However, the Eagles owner is one of the best and something had to impress him about Kelly, so who knows.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The trouble is that college HC's usually don't stick it out after they realize how long it may take to actually get a QB, ask Saban, Spurrier and Petrino.
However, the Eagles owner is one of the best and something had to impress him about Kelly, so who knows.
Well Petrino had his until Vick and his dog fighting thing happened. Saban says in his book that he wanted Brees while management wanted Culpepper, and Spurrier? yeah he just kinda sucked. Just tough to use those guys as examples.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ill hold off judgement until I know whos under center but in theory, it COULD work. He has the skill position players, but the biggest winner here is anyone who owns Lasean McCoy in a keeper league. He'll get his touches and consistently, unlike with Reid. Im most curious to see how Kelly affects the Eagles' draft approach. QB, OL, CB? Its still an incomplete situation to really gauge how he'll do with a lot of variables still undecided.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
Do the Eagles keep Vick around for Kelly or is that contract just too much?
They'll let Kelly start with making that choice would be my guess.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick isn't even that fast anymore. There's no upside to keeping Vick.