Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Wow, one healthy win against the Vikings and we could be practically free of INJURIEZZZ.
this is exactly when the new injuriezzzzzz will hit. you think all is well and you get them again.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
this is exactly when the new injuriezzzzzz will hit. you think all is well and you get them again.
Exactly.
Still, until I see Cobb back on the field playing, I will not exhale.
I expect him to miss the game in Minny this week.... and (as long as we win), that's fine.
I've seen us have 3 guys at least, tear ACLs in that ****** stadium.
Will Blackmon, Nick Barnett, and I think Mark Tauscher.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:57 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting close to playoff time so I'm BACK!

You can't really expect me here for the regular season. I mean, it's the regular season. We're here talking about the regular season. The regular season... ... err, you get the point.

I'm not quite as on board with the "winning close(r) games and losing more makes the Packers a better team!!!" thing that people keep saying. Adversity gives experience but also fatigue. Random thought.

Things I like going into the playoffs;

We should have a bye. Yeah, the Vikings.. the only time I've been scared of them was when they had a vengeful Favre. Ponder is terrible and they're going to run it so very often to try and get AD that record that it'll probably ruin any hope for a big offensive day for the team. Also, Rodgers likes it there and the only thing there defense has going for it is Jared Allen. We shred 'em.

We SHOULD be getting fairly healthy. Conceivably, if we have a bye that game will be our healthiest since the first quarter of game 1. Or Clay Matthews could blow out an ACL against the Vikings.

Our run game is looking as good as it has since our last Super Bowl run. Maybe a bit better, even, with EDS and Barclay in there.

Rodgers has been getting sharper. That's nice.

None of the draws in our conference scare me. The 49ers are probably the worst matchup and I'm not terrified of them. Kaepernick can be rattled and Gore is slowing down as the season progresses. My rating of the difficult of matchups is as follows;

1. 49ers
2. Redskins
3. Falcons
4. Seahawks (assuming no Sherman, or I'd have them as #2. People forget how ****** their pass rush is on the road and they're just too young.)
5. Random crappy #6 seed (unless it's the Giants, who would be my #1.)

The thought of going to Atlanta for the NFC Championship game. I might even prefer that to Green Bay. Nice, quiet crowd. Fast running surface. Rodgers has good memories there. I like.

Things I dislike.

CROSBY. COME ON TT AND MCCARTHY. ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS GUY!??!?! Look, the best case scenario with keeping him is the thought that the additional 4th down tries we go for because of a ****** kicker = more TDs which = more points.

Cobb being hobbled. Rodgers loves him some Cobb. Eventually we'll realize the perfect way to use him as a Cover 2 buster and our offense of 2011 will be revived.

Overall you have to like how things are shaping up. Looks like we might be getting healthy and hot and our arch-nemesis/kryptonite is quite unlikely to make the playoffs.

I'm calling a Green Bay versus Denver Super Bowl right now. Also, holy **** would that be a scary and exciting game.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Green should be good-to-go for Sunday

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I'm calling a Green Bay versus Denver Super Bowl right now. Also, holy **** would that be a scary and exciting game.
I want to see THAT game more than any other possible matchup.

BE RIGHT FOR ONCE 486! LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Woodson, again, ruled out for the game this Sunday.
Ponder won't be able to find #21.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sucks. I don't like the thought of Woodson getting his first game reps come playoff time after being out a good 8 weeks

With Hayward/Shields playing great, Woodson isn't needed on the field as much. I'm all for him replacing MD Jennings in the base D, but that's about it. Hayward/Shields have been great so leaving them in the slot in nickel/dime can't change

would have been nice to have him back in this game though. He's a sure tackler and great around the LOS vs the run. They could have used that going up against AP
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
That sucks. I don't like the thought of Woodson getting his first game reps come playoff time after being out a good 8 weeks

With Hayward/Shields playing great, Woodson isn't needed on the field as much. I'm all for him replacing MD Jennings in the base D, but that's about it. Hayward/Shields have been great so leaving them in the slot in nickel/dime can't change

would have been nice to have him back in this game though. He's a sure tackler and great around the LOS vs the run. They could have used that going up against AP
That bad thing about this injury, I would think, is he hasn't been able to do any strength, weight work on the upper body/shoulder area. I'd like him to be stronger there because he's a very willing and good tackler and I want him to be strong and able to handle hammering RBs like Gore, Marshawn (a bull), Turner..... we need to get to the Superdome.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeff Saturday is a pro bowler!

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Jeff Saturday is a pro bowler!
At least Crosby didn't get in!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Things are looking good. Team is finally getting as healthy as they can be for the playoff run. Only guys still out are Starks and Woodson. In Woodson's case, he's been practicing for nearly 3-4 weeks now but just hasn't been cleared by docs. Davon House is listed as doubtful for this Sunday, but if they can get that first round bye, chances are good he'll be back for that playoff game as some much needed CB depth/ST

- Cobb was limited today in practice, but according to reporters he looked good running some drills(lots of cutting, planting his feet). He is listed as Questionable for this Sunday

- CJ Wilson was a full participant and is Probable(this is big since he's their best run stopping DE)

- Jordy Nelson had a full week of practice and is Probable. He checked out completely fine after a weeks worth of practice

- Alex Green, full participant and is Probable

- Jerel Worthy, full participant and is Probable

- Josh Sitton had a concussion but has since been cleared and is Probable

Here's hoping they get a win while not having any key injuries this sunday
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Here's hoping they get a win while not having any key injuries this sunday
AMEN to that ^

Would yours look like this? http://packersinsider.com/2012/12/wh...-10-right-now/
Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Help a brother out, be a man.... see our thread in the Pro Football area. I get more support from Viking fans there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I don't think it's a matter of them being better with him than Tim Tebow because I think everybody knows that. However, relatively speaking he's not giving the Broncos any more than Rodgers or Brady is giving their teams. Just because it's new doesn't make it any more or less valuable.
Exactly. It's the MVP, Most Valuable Player. Not the Most Improved. Or the best East Coast QB, best Manning, best team, etc.
Judging value is hard.

Right now, entering the final week, I would give it to Adrian Peterson hands-down.
To compare any other RB to his statline, you have to go back in time to historical greats.

Comparing Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Ryan, RG3, etc.... not a lot separates each of them.
But if a QB does get it, based on production and not East Coast bias or media hype, etc. then it has to be Rodgers, leading up to week 17. Week 17 can sway it though. But as of right now, it's clear:

RODGERS
Passer Rating: 106.2,
Passing: 35 TD, 8 Int, +27, 67.0%, 3,930 yards, 7.68 YPA, 46 sacks,
Rushing: 259 yards, 2 TDs, 20 FDs
Team Record: 11-4 (*12-3)

MANNING
Passer Rating: 103.7,
Passing: 34 TD, 11 Int, +23, 68.1%, 4,355 yards, 7.86 YPA, 21 sacks
Rushing: 6 yards, 0 TD, 2 FDs
Team Record: 12-3

BRADY
Passer Rating: 98.3,
Passing: 32 TD, 8 Int, +24, 63.1%, 4,543 yards, 7.56 YPA, 26 sacks
Rushing: 32 yards, 4 TDs, 11 FDs
Team Record: 12-3

RYAN
Passer Rating: 100.2,
Passing: 31 TD, 14 Int, +17, 69.0%, 4,481 yards, 7.85 YPA, 26 sacks
Rushing: 130 yards, 1 TD, 7 FDs
Team Record: 13-2

GRIFFIN
Passer Rating: 104.1,
Passing: 20 TD, 5 Int, +15, 66.4%, 3,100 yards, 8.27 YPA, 29 sacks,
Rushing: 752 yards, 6 TDs, 36 FDs
Team Record: 9-6

Now here's the part that bothers me from folks arguing for a different QB right now other than Rodgers. They say, yeah but Manning has taken his team up so much.
Well, it's the MVP, not the "Most Improved" award.

Also, if you are going to factor other things in besides actual production (passing and rushing), then you better factor in their schedule, their pass protection, their running game,their receivers, and their defense.
And that's a lot of subjective material.

But I would argue that the pass protection of Rodgers has been, is, by far the worst of the group, and I doubt anyone would dispute that who has watched them.

And his running game is the worst as well, which I believe partly coincides to the bad OL. Remember, they have 2 of their last 3 first round picks who were OT's on IR, played about 8 games total among them, so that's part of the reason for the bad OL.

Ryan has the best 1-2 WR combo in Pro Bowlers Julio Jones and Roddy White, plus the great Tony Gonzalezat TE.

Rodgers has the deepest group of WRs, without a doubt, but none of them would be taken ahead of either of those Falcons, or the Broncos Demayrious Thomas.
I don't think Brady's WRs are that good other than Wes Welker, although the dynamic duo TE's of the best in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez are unmatched.

Griffin, IMO, has by far the worst set of receivers. But he has a good OL and running game. A big part of that running game, however, is himself.

Again, I would, without question, write in Adrian Peterson as my winner.

But if it goes to a QB again -because they consider the QB's the most valuable- then Rodgers deserves it most among this group. Right now.

A week 17 meltdown loss in Minnesota could blow it though, so stay tuned.
They should go by pure production, and from start to finish. You don't eliminate week 4 or 9 or 17. They all count. Interesting that it's Rodgers at Peterson. Pro Football Weekly things so:
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 AM    (permalink
dokhogg
Rookie

dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dokhogg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default arod mvp, not ad

This was on yahoo sports on thursday the 27th. Since I never posted before I cannot post a link.

COMMENTARY | Aaron Rodgers won't go back-to-back as the league's Most Valuable Player. But he should.
I've written this before , but the argument for Rodgers has actually become more compelling since. In fact, it isn't really close when you compare Aaron Rodgers to the other players on the MVP shortlist.
Despite Minnesota's victory Sunday against the Texans, Adrian Peterson's chase to Eric Dickerson's rushing record is probably over. Green Bay will be playing for the 2 seed this weekend, which means the Vikes could fall out of the playoffs, not to mention lose to the Packers twice.
The last time an NFL MVP missed out on the postseason was 1973. Furthermore if the Packers win, they'll have swept the Vikings and it would be hard to put Peterson ahead of Rodgers in that case. It's hard to vote for an MVP when his team is barely over .500.
Calvin Johnson's record-breaking season was pretty remarkable, but the Lions were a dumpster fire all season and currently sit at 4-11. It's hard to be 'valuable' when your team has nearly three times as many losses as it does wins.
That leaves Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Matt Ryan on the list with Rodgers.
There's no easy way to reduce this list. All four quarterbacks play for teams leading their divisions. Green Bay, Denver and Atlanta are all in position to get byes in the playoffs. Among quarterbacks who have started every game, they're the top rated passers in the league.
So why Aaron Rodgers and not Brady or Ryan or Manning? The reasons are myriad.
Aaron Rodgers' value to the Packers can't be properly stated unless you look at the injuries to his teammates. Greg Jennings has missed most of the season and Jordy Nelson has also missed long stretches. Take the top two receivers off any other NFL and you're looking at mediocre offenses.
Tom Brady lost Rob Gronkowski but can lean on Aaron Hernandez and a solid running game. Aaron Rodgers didn't have such luxuries. Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning played on teams who were pictures of health for most of the season. Take Roddy White or Eric Decker off their respective teams and tell me you think Ryan and Manning are the same.
Green Bay's third best receiver leads the league in touchdown catches and its fourth best has a chance to break the single-season yardage mark. The reason is Aaron Rodgers.
Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson have been in and out of the lineup due to injuries and the Packers are currently starting a rookie at right tackle with a first-time starter - as of last week - at center.
Every team has had injuries, but no team, at least among this group, has had them like the Packers. Green Bay put up 55 against a half-way decent Titans defense with two street free agent running backs, that patchwork offensive line and no Jordy Nelson.
Furthermore, despite the injuries at offensive line and receiver, Rodgers lead the Packers to 12* wins and is the highest rated passer in the league, despite being sacked 46 times. For comparison, Brady and Ryan have been sacked just 26 times each, and Manning just 21.
Schedule
One of the biggest differences between the season Rodgers has had versus his MVP competitors is the division in which each team plays. There's an old adage about having to play the teams on your schedule, but Green Bay plays in by far the toughest division of this group.
Both Chicago and Minnesota have chances to make the playoffs. Not one of these other quarterbacks have even one team in their respective divisions who have a chance.
The Bears and Vikings are 0-3 against Green Bay and a combined 18-9 against the rest of the NFL. Those 18 wins between just the Bears and Vikes are as many as the entire AFC East has outside of New England, six more than the entire rest of the AFC West outside of Denver, and just one fewer than the entire NFC South outside of Atlanta.
The fact that Green Bay won that division and is in position for a 2 seed speaks to Rodgers' value on this team.
We can talk about quality of wins and strength of schedule here, but I don't want to rehash too much of my last MVP column.
Atlanta has played the easiest schedule in the league, but that's not their fault entirely. Part of the reason is that when you win 13 games, you're adding losses to the teams you play and reducing your own strength of schedule.
A better way to compare these four may be to look at how they've fared against the same defenses. When you look at it that way, Rodgers once again proves why he deserves top billing for the MVP.
Manning vs. Rodgers
Rodgers and Manning have played the fewest common opponents with just Houston and New Orleans. Both teams beat the Saints and the Packers demolished the Texans behind Rodgers' six touchdown day, whereas Peyton and the Broncos were beaten soundly by the Texans.
As we look at the numbers from all of the quarterbacks, remember that yards per attempt and rating as a duo are the best indicators of a quarterback's efficiency and success rates.
In two games, Aaron Rodgers went 55/78 for 657 yards with 10 touchdowns and just 1 interception. That's a 70.5% completion rate and a 130.2 passer rating with a 8.4 yard per attempt average. That is three or four games for the average quarterback.
Peyton Manning went 48/82 for 635 yards with 5 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. That's just a 58.5% completion rate, 7.7 yards per attempt and a rating of 103.4.
Rodgers actually threw more touchdowns just against Houston than Manning did against both teams combined. Every number favors Rodgers including win totals. Given the strength of the NFC North vs. the AFC West, Rodgers has the edge there. For the season, Rodgers has more touchdowns, fewer interceptions and a higher passer rating. Remember too, this is while Rodgers is being sacked twice as often and playing without his two best receivers for much of the year.
Can you imagine what Manning's team would look like if he had to throw to Brandon Stokely and Andre Caldwell 20 times a game? Denver also has the superior defense and running game. Given all of that, it is hard to argue Peyton Manning has been a bigger part of his team's success this season than Rodgers has been for his team.
Ryan vs. Rodgers
The sample size for Rodgers vs. Ryan provides a better frame of reference. It's pretty intuitive: the bigger the sample size, the more accurate a picture it paints. Green Bay and Atlanta have played five games against common opponents, each going 4-1. Atlanta's lone loss was to New Orleans, whereas Green Bay's was to New York.
In five games, Roadgers went 92/147 for 1165 yards with 11 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. That's 7.9 yards per attempt on a 62% completion rate and a 100.86 rating.
Ryan's numbers are pretty similar as he went 128/191 for 1417 yards with 11 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. That is a 67% completion rate, a 7.4 yard per attempt average and a 94.9 rating.
These numbers include a 5 interception game Matt Ryan had against Arizona, one that Atlanta somehow won. If you take that Cardinals game out, the Ryan numbers are pretty staggering, but you can't. The game happened and it could have cost the Falcons dearly. It's tough to talk about how valuable a player is if he can turn the ball over five times but your team can still win.
This is why sample size, though, is important. Over time, these numbers regress to the mean and you're left with a better view of a player's performance across the course of a season. Notice in the important metrics, Rodgers has the advantage, albeit a slim one. Ryan attempted and completed more passes, plus did so at a higher rate, but those passes were shorter and fewer of them went for touchdowns as a ratio of all passes thrown.
Rodgers also has the advantage in gross statistics like touchdowns and interceptions, plus efficiency metrics like passer rating. Given how similar the statistics are, you have to take into account the circumstances. Atlanta's division was worse, its schedule was easier, and they had less adversity with injuries than Green Bay. Given that Rodgers and Ryan then essentially created the same outcomes, the more impressive job was done by Rodgers.
Brady vs. Rodgers
Something of a statistical oddity, by season's end the Packers and Patriots will have played half of their games against common opponents. Both teams played the NFC West and AFC South, leaving only the division and two other opponents on the schedule. These numbers, perhaps more than any of the others, are staggering. Both Green Bay and New England went 5-3 against these opponents, although Green Bay's record should have an asterisk for the Fail Mary game.
In 8 games, Aaron Rodgers went 193/292 for 2187 yards with 23 touchdowns and just 3 interceptions. That's a remarkable 110.3 passer rating on 66.1% completions and a 7.49 yard per attempt average.
Tom Brady went 215/346 for 2588 yards to go with 19 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. That comes out to a 62.1% completion rate, a nearly identical 7.48 yard per attempt rate with a 94.9 rating.
Just to give you an idea of how good these numbers are for Rodgers, only 12 starting quarterbacks have 23 touchdowns through 15 games in the NFL. This is half a season for Rodgers. Brady's 19 touchdown passes is better than all but 20 starters.
That being said, Rodgers is head and shoulders above Brady in efficiency and gross production. Throwing four more touchdowns and four fewer interceptions in 50 fewer attempts is pretty remarkable. A chasm sits between Rodgers and Brady in passer rating and is about the same as the gap between Rodgers and Joe Flacco for the season. Yes, against common opponents, Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady is Joe Flacco.
In a year where this is no MVP favorite, it makes sense to go with the guy who had a better season, head-to-head, than his competitors. Rodgers is also the only one to have another MVP candidate in his own division. If Rodgers beats the Vikings Sunday, he'll have beaten Adrian Peterson's team twice in a year where Peterson will probably rush for 2,000 yards.
Despite a massive injury deficit, an inferior offensive line, an influx of rookies on defense and a tougher division, Aaron Rodgers had a statistically superior season to to his peers at the most important position in the game. Only Drew Brees has thrown more touchdowns. No player who started every game threw fewer interceptions or has a better passer rating.
It wasn't quite the historic season of a year ago, which is why Rodgers hasn't been getting the same credit nationally for his candidacy. Green Bay hasn't had a running back rush for 100 yards since Bart Starr was under center it seems, yet the Packers keep winning because they have '12' under center and the other team doesn't.
Aaron Rodgers hasn't been all-time great this season, but he's been better than everyone else. That's all that matters and that's why he should be the MVP. His story isn't as good as Manning's or Peterson's, which is unfortunately why he won't be.
dokhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Great stuff, especially this: Green Bay will be playing for the 2 seed this weekend, which means the Vikes could fall out of the playoffs, not to mention lose to the Packers twice.
The last time an NFL MVP missed out on the postseason was 1973. Furthermore if the Packers win, they'll have swept the Vikings and it would be hard to put Peterson ahead of Rodgers in that case. It's hard to vote for an MVP when his team is barely over .500.

I still believe much of the media who votes will NATURALLY want to give the award to Manning. Even if Rodgers has better stats.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 12-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

WHERE THE HELL IS THE OFFICIAL PACKERS @ VIKINGS THREAD?
You guys really don't want me to JINX us do you?
The phuqing game is here soon, tomorrow. What's the holdup here?
What other website are y'all on if not here? This is crunch time.

In 9 career starts against the Vikings, Rodgers has a 114.2 passer rating, completing 202 of 286 passes (70.6 percent) for 2,458 yards and 20 touchdowns with 4 interceptions.

In his last 2 games at the Metrodome, Rodgers completed 70.1 percent of his passes for 636 yards, 7 touchdowns, 0 interceptions and a 141.6 rating.

The Packers have won 12 consecutive NFC North games and are trying to sweep the division for the second consecutive season.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

You definitely can't make it J-Mike! Hopefully PF comes along with his good luck.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Any word on WHAT the injury was to Jerel Worthy, and also Jarrett Boykin?

We're missing a ton of 1st round picks already (Bulaga, Perry, Sherrod, Benson, Woodson), might as well lose a 2nd rounder for the year too in Worthy. Perfect.
Meanwhile San Fran has like one guy hurt (Justin Smith) and all their other D studs fine.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

We should have everyone that has a chance of getting back ready for Saturday, so I don't think it's too much of a problem. Having a bye didn't help us much last season and we won the Superbowl as a wildcard; it's not the end of the world.

If we beat the Vikings I think i'm right in saying we'll be playing the 49ers, which isn't the first team we'd want to play, but with Kaepernick playing it'll be different to when we played them earlier in the season.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

All we've heard is that Worthy has a "significant" knee injury, which in McCarthy speak = torn acl

fact is, it don't look good and now you have to wonder how many games he'll miss going into next season
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Reid hired as Chiefs coach. Lot of speculation that the Packers Director of Football operations John Dorsey will be heading with him to KC to become the Chiefs GM

that would suck. Packers losing quite a bit of braintrust the last few years. I wonder who would step in then? Eliot Wolf?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Dorsey has gone to KC.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Our roster turnover is typically 20% from year to year.

What 10 positions, starting & backups, are in the most need of UPGRADES?
Keep in mind, some guys on IR will return and be upgrades.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HB, LT, C, OLB, ILB, S, DE, K... in no order, at LT and OLB we get Sherrod and Perry back... but both are still question marks. RB is just a group of nobodys we could find anywhere. I do like Harris but how much more does he have to show us? Green still has time and Starks may have ran out. Grant and Benson shouldn't be back. C, K can both be better with no obvious replacements on the team as of now. ILB, S, DE we could do better but there ok I guess but hopefully we see someone new in the mix.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

As for the main priority, I'd have to say its ILB or C, but that list is about right as far as needs go

Crosby needs competition this upcoming year because even at his best he's only converting around 77% of his FG's