Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great coaches adjust to their talent. D'Antoni won't adjust at all. And his management of the roster is awful. Not to mention his inability to coach defense.

He has always been an awful coach. He had some success in Phoenix with a loaded team but underachieved with it. Then has been a poor to mediocre coach at best since those days.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a good question.

If you took all the good-to-great coaches in NBA History, would you have enough to run a full 30-team league?
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good to great? Absolutely. Great, no.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, I mean you've got 3 greats right now in Doc, Pop and Carlisle. And I feel like I'm forgetting someone else. Plus PJ is the best coach ever. Plus Phil. So there's 5.

edit: College coaches would be so much more fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a bunch of coaches you could put in the good category right now. At least 10 probably.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
There are a bunch of coaches you could put in the good category right now. At least 10 probably.
I'd say definitely Thibs.

I wanna say JVG because I love him.

Sloan was pretty kewl, too.

There's "good" and then more "very good".

I wonder how our coaches power rankings would look/differ
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I'd say definitely Thibs.

I wanna say JVG because I love him.

Sloan was pretty kewl, too.

There's "good" and then more "very good".

I wonder how our coaches power rankings would look/differ
I'll do one after work when I'm not on my phone. Vogel is a boss though.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yeah, I mean you've got 3 greats right now in Doc, Pop and Carlisle. And I feel like I'm forgetting someone else. Plus PJ is the best coach ever. Plus Phil. So there's 5.

edit: College coaches would be so much more fun
Wouldn't put Doc in there. Before they got The Big Three, the team was pretty terrible. Who knows how much of that success was due to Thibs being there too.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
Wouldn't put Doc in there. Before they got The Big Three, the team was pretty terrible. Who knows how much of that success was due to Thibs being there too.
Pop is the only active coach that should be considered Great. Everyone else is good with the chance to be great.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Doc is a great coach. Newsflash, you need good players to be a successful team. This isn't earth shattering stuff.

Doc outcoached Phil Jackson in the NBA Finals, arguably twice. Doc is a great coach.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
You're right. he's not winning right now with an ancient KG, no Ray Allen and a PG who can't shoot (not a knock on Rondo, just saying he's not a D-Rose who can take over on the scoring end)

And really? "How much is due to Thibs?" that's gotta be a joke. What's that even mean? We're talking head coaches. How are you gonna determine what and what isn't because of the coaches? That's absurd. Any good team that's winning sans the Heat and maybe Thunder are a lot because of the coach. Not knocks on Brooks or Spo (neither are "good" coaches but not bad either) but anyone could win with the talent both of them have
Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think Doc is a great coach. Newsflash, you need good players to be a successful team. This isn't earth shattering stuff.

Doc outcoached Phil Jackson in the NBA Finals, arguably twice. Doc is a great coach.
Had Pierce, Jefferson, and Rondo on 1 team, and he had the worst season of his career. In the same year, the Cavs made it to the Finals with LeBron...Larry Hughes, Big Z, and Gooden.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I don't think doc is an all timer/elite coach. I definitely think he can be described as great though.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Had Pierce, Jefferson, and Rondo on 1 team, and he had the worst season of his career. In the same year, the Cavs made it to the Finals with LeBron...Larry Hughes, Big Z, and Gooden.
Rondo wasn't nearly the player then that he is now, or during their championship years.

Jefferson. Whoopidy damn doo.

Look what he has now. A 50 year old Garnett, a 45 year old fat Pierce, and Rondo and he makes it work. The guy is a good coach. When he has talent he wins. What else do you want?

Basketball isn't football. You can't win with smoke and mirrors. And who gives a **** what Mike Brown did with LeBron? How does that help your argument? He took the best player on the planet and took him to the finals. He's supposed to do that ****.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Quote:
You're right. he's not winning right now with an ancient KG, no Ray Allen and a PG who can't shoot (not a knock on Rondo, just saying he's not a D-Rose who can take over on the scoring end)

And really? "How much is due to Thibs?" that's gotta be a joke. What's that even mean? We're talking head coaches. How are you gonna determine what and what isn't because of the coaches? That's absurd. Any good team that's winning sans the Heat and maybe Thunder are a lot because of the coach. Not knocks on Brooks or Spo (neither are "good" coaches but not bad either) but anyone could win with the talent both of them have
Didn't even bring up this year. But if it was his decision to bring Jeff Green in and pay him that much, then this year was a disaster.

You watch football, but you still don't think assistant coaches matter? It's not a coincidence that the Bulls suddenly became one of the top defensive teams in the league once Thibs got there. Yeah, the Celtics were still good on D even after he left, but he was there long enough for Doc & co. to memorize the system.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pierce played 46 games, Jeffeson's 3rd year, and Rondo was a rookie. PS Rondo started only 25 games. They were not a juggernaut.

It seems most of the time they started Delonte West, Ryan Gomes, Pierce, Jefferson, Perkins. That is not a murderers row.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Didn't even bring up this year. But if it was his decision to bring Jeff Green in and pay him that much, then this year was a disaster.

You watch football, but you still don't think assistant coaches matter? It's not a coincidence that the Bulls suddenly became one of the top defensive teams in the league once Thibs got there. Yeah, the Celtics were still good on D even after he left, but he was there long enough for Doc & co. to memorize the system.
So you're saying that Doc has that defensive knowledge/system in his arsenal. That's all that matters, everyone learns everything they know from somewhere. Doc is a great coach.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So you're counting a raw, 19 year old Al Jefferson and a rookie Rondo who was very limited in a lot of aspects. This is a team that Sebastian Telfair and Wally Szczerbiak got significant PT on. And then you are comparing that to a team with LeBron on it...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This play is one caveat or example of why Doc is a good coach. Perfectly drawn up.

Also if Avery Bradley was healthy, they make the NBA finals with a severely overmatched team.

Last edited by soybean : 01-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

yeah docta, you haven't really made any sense in your points against Doc...
Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Quote:
Rondo wasn't nearly the player then that he is now, or during their championship years.

Jefferson. Whoopidy damn doo.

Look what he has now. A 50 year old Garnett, a 45 year old fat Pierce, and Rondo and he makes it work. The guy is a good coach. When he has talent he wins. What else do you want?

Basketball isn't football. You can't win with smoke and mirrors. And who gives a **** what Mike Brown did with LeBron? How does that help your argument? He took the best player on the planet and took him to the finals. He's supposed to do that ****.
I didn't say he wasn't a great coach. Just wouldn't put him up in the same tier with Carlisle and Pop. Mike D'Antoni wins when he has the right personnel. What else do you want? He has a 50 year old Kobe, and Dwight with a bad back.

It wasn't even close to one of LeBron's best seasons. His stats improved after the '07 season.

EDIT: It was Rondo's rookie season, and they got KG + Ray the next season. Either he improved greatly in one off-season, or Doc was holding him back for being a rookie. He also barely played Tony Allen, and I doubt he wasn't as good on defense as he is now. It wasn't until he got to Memphis that he got significant PT.

Last edited by Docta : 01-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
I didn't say he wasn't a great coach. Just wouldn't put him up in the same tier with Carlisle and Pop. Mike D'Antoni wins when he has the right personnel. What else do you want? He has a 50 year old Kobe, and Dwight with a bad back.

It wasn't even close to one of LeBron's best seasons. His stats improved after the '07 season.
Why does Carlisle make it? He has made 1 NBA finals appearance. 1.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
Why does Carlisle make it? He has made 1 NBA finals appearance. 1.
When the Knicks beat the Bulls and Heat on their way to the NBA Finals, Mike Woodson will be considered a great coach.

Get at me bro.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
When the Knicks beat the Bulls and Heat on their way to the NBA Finals, Mike Woodson will be considered a great coach.

Get at me bro.
I am terrified of Woodson's 12-22 playoff record.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I am terrified of Woodson's 12-22 playoff record.
You should be. He finally has a championship caliber team.