Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Khan apparently helped find some late round gems too which is good. Pittsburgh is obviously a well run organization, would be nice to get closer to what they do. Idzik I like as well. I do wonder if something comes out of left field since things have been pretty under wraps through this process.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Cam Cameron struck out. Now two WCO OC left.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...cameron-is-out

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...ach-chip-kelly

Interesting. Foles or Flynn to serve under WCO OC. It may help improve the offense but how much? I don't know.

How does a trade work in salary cap? I mean other than SB.
Anyone? I would love to know so I can do a full scale mock.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry Yoto, not sure. There's a good Jets cap website, nyjetscap.com. The guy who runs the site has an email address, you could probably reach out to him and I'd imagine he'd get back to you.

On a somewhat related note, a few things I've been thinking about related to the Jets this offseason I thought might be worth discussing:

Is there any way the Jets don't bring in a QB who has a good chance to start this offseason? Right now it seems like they pretty much have to since I don't see how they can start Sanchez or McElroy. But there's no real reason to get rid of McElroy, a smart guy who probably has value in the film room and is a cheap third QB, and it's basically impossible to get rid of Sanchez. So I think that eliminates a mid or late round pick at QB unless they want to carry four on the roster. In that case heading into the draft they'll have either brought in a veteran, or they won't and they'll probably be taking a QB in the first two rounds. And to do that, they'll have to identify guys they like who they are pretty much positive will be available to take because they won't be able to come out of the draft without one. So while it's very up in the air right now, we'll probably be much more certain about whether or not they'll draft one in the next couple of months.

According to the cap page I mentioned before, Santonio Holmes could be cut this offseason. There's like 11 million in dead money, but also 1.5 million in cap savings. For a rebuilding team, is that a move they make? Depends on his attitude I think, but if they want to move forward without him as a part of the franchise it is an option. Nice to have the cap space, and if they do draft a QB I doubt they'd want to expose him to Holmes. Doesn't get talked about much and it is a lot of dead money, but I don't think it's off the table either.

Speaking of trading, do the Jets move Revis and/or Cromartie this offseason? I think both would be surprising, but one or the other could make sense. Revis is in the last year of his deal, will almost certainly want an extension, and is coming off of an ACL injury. I think that lowers his value, but we're also talking about arguably the best defensive player in football and ACL injuries aren't as big a deal as they used to be. Might make more sense to let him play a couple of games first though and move him before the deadline for 2012 picks if they do want to trade him. No idea what they'd get for him at this point. And Cromartie is coming off a career year and locked into a relatively reasonable deal for a #1 caliber corner, would give the Jets cap space and draft picks for the rebuild. Maybe they could get a day 2 pick out of a team. With Kyle Wilson emerging as at least a passable starting corner (the pass defense wasn't the issue this year) not sure there's need for each of those three guys but the cap space and extra pick(s) would certainly be helpful.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't have e mail connected up but I saw his article that has Antonio Cromartie situation in a few paragraphs. It should be good enough.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Mock is no good. It is difficult to determine which veterans play for us at minimum wages, team Cromartie being traded to, draft positions after trades, etc.

I revert to a media reactor.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's official. Idzik to the Jets. Here's hoping he blows up the team like the Seahawks did. I'm excited. This is who I've wanted since he was announced as a possibility. Don't let me down Mr. Idzik or I'll torment your son at school!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love seeing the comments roll in on Cimini articles. Everyone hates him. He's so negative. He has to be a Pats fan. He's about the only one not giving this guy a fair shake. I hope Woody or Rex tells him off in the press conference. It's like he's trying to get fired with his awful reporting job.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Definitely happy with the hire. I like that he played and coached, but obviously gets the business side as well. He's dabbled all over the place, and think he's a solid fit who can bring a lot to the table.

Cimini tends to be an ass with his reporting. Not sure why he still covers the team.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
@caplannfl: Source said former #Eagles OC Marty Mornhinweg is expected to be named #Jets OC. Interesting fit.
If true, I like it. His offenses have been amazing and himself being a record-setting QB in college, coming from the Holmgren line, and in my mind, his lack of desire (or maybe team's desires to make him one) to become a head coach after his flop in Detroit, would lead me to believe he could be a great, long-standing hire. But, if this happens, and factoring everything they have said up until this point this off-season, I would expect considerable changes in offensive personnel.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Agreed on that too. He's had a lot of success in the league, obviously with better talent. Wonder if his input on personnel discussions will be helpful or if that was mostly Reid, but they've had really nice talent in Philly on that side of the ball. Obviously easier to find a WCO QB as well. Also hoping that there are a lot of personnel changes. Think that his pass-heavy background is good as well since at this point you need to be able to throw to win.

Also like that he's established enough that hopefully they can just give him the offense and let him run with it.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-18-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Also, though many are not in favor of him, Sanchez is very much a WCO QB at heart. He could very easily turn things around if they spend this off-season equipping the offense.

Quote:
Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr

The #jets did not consider Dave Caldwell their first choice, source said. The $1 million housing requirement was on his end.
Quite different of a story. haha

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-18-2013 at 05:08 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm excited that the Jets finally made their GM selection !!! Idzik seems to have done well in his recent stops. He is labeled as being more of a cap guru than a talent evaluator. Having a GM clean up Tannenbaum's mess was a must for the Jets. However, the talent of the Jets has deteriorated in the last few years under Ryan, and now it looks like he is going to have more control over that than ever. So in my excitement for the cap situation being resolved, I'm worried about how this next draft and free agency period will go.

Bringing in Mornhinweg looks like a great move. With Ryan's infatuation for Vick, it has me thinking that Vick to the Jets is more likely than ever now.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

With the cap as it is and Vick's lack of desire to take any sort of pay cut, I highly doubt we bring him in, especially because of the mess it'd cause and the fact that we want to clean up our image.

As with personnel decisions, Rex will obviously have to have some say, but from the sounds of things, it's really not going to be in his hands at all. I envision Idzik leaning much more on his scouting personnel than Tannenbaum apparently did. But, we'll see how it all works out. I don't really care who makes the decisions as long as they're the right ones.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
As with personnel decisions, Rex will obviously have to have some say, but from the sounds of things, it's really not going to be in his hands at all. I envision Idzik leaning much more on his scouting personnel than Tannenbaum apparently did. But, we'll see how it all works out. I don't really care who makes the decisions as long as they're the right ones.

Ah, you are correct. I was going off what I had first read, but updates have Idzik with final say over the roster as part of his responsibilities. Ryan will not have any increased say over the roster. ESPN has called Idzik's job as "an extension of the Mike Tannenbaum model". I'm just pumped they've made a hire and now we can start to see what direction the team is headed.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

My issues with Sanchez as a WCO QB are twofold: 1) he's not a very accurate quarterback and 2) when he screws up underneath stuff it tends to go the other way for 6. I'd prefer they bring in someone else. Maybe a more risky move but I kind of like Dysert among day two type guys. Impressive game against tOSU. Wouldn't be shocked with a Tebow for Flynn trade either, Seahawks looking for a backup more like Wilson and Flynn is a WCO guy who I assume Idzik is familiar with and the Jets can probably afford.

The Caldwell thing is definitely interesting. Big change from what we originally heard.

Agreed with TTGS, don't think Vick is all that likely.

Also think Idzik will have more control over personnel. With his background as an offensive player and coach, hopefully he and Mornhinweg can help get some offensive talent in here. Clearly not Rex's strong suit from a scouting perspective.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I just think Sanchez will hear "west coast" and he will re-live his high-school/college days and light things up haha. Flynn would make much more sense though. I've liked Flynn since college, supported him in Seattle, and certainly would be behind that decision. Tebow for Flynn would be surprising though. Maybe they make him a FB like they did with Michael Robinson. If you call that trade though, you are a god in my eyes lol.

I will say though, while Rex might not be an amazing talent scout on offense, I think he is just as capable there as he is on defense. I mean, he was the one that fell in love with Coples, who I still don't care for. I'm not sure if he liked Wilson or not, but I thought that was a pretty terrible 1st round pick from the get-go, even if he played decent this past year. But, I don't really think that one was anybody's fault. There was a run on corners, reports were they liked McCourty, he got snagged, and they probably got desperate. During his time here, he didn't want Sanchez. I distinctly remember hearing reports about him wanting Freeman. I think he liked Greene and Connor, but one was a 5th round pick and the other, while I'm not overly fond of him, he's been pretty serviceable for a 3rd rounder. Ducasse was clearly a Tannenbaum pick, as he came from Tannenbaum's alma mater. Have we drafted anyone else on offense? Kerley? Kerley I think was a Westhoff pick actually because of his return ability. Oh. McKnight. Well I don't think Rex really cared for McKnight, but that was a late pick anyway. Plus, he's turning it around and he's even got a sack to his name! I could also see him carving out a nice little niche role in this new offense.

So anyway, I don't believe Rex is that bad at evaluating offense. I just think, up until this point, he hasn't cared, and he's also been stuck in the mindset that the offense absolutely had to be "ground & pound".

EDIT: Scratch that thing about Freeman. Could've sworn I saw that when we were around the middle of the season their rookie years, but I guess not. I read an article saying that they had Sanchez and Freeman graded pretty evenly, but what separated them was their workouts, where Freeman got two guys to show up for him, and Sanchez had 20+, and it showed the kind of respect he had amongst his peers. Pretty interesting. I didn't like Freeman then and I don't like him now, and while he's done a bit better than Sanchez, they're still young. Always room for change...

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

As much as I don't have faith in Sanchez, I would like nothing more than to see him have success. Would be happy to be surprised, maybe the "West coast" shift helps him haha. Flynn I think makes sense with the WCO and the Idzik connection obviously, Vick is a sexier name but Flynn I think is more likely if not completely likely. I'd be surprised with any trade but if they're looking for somebody who wouldn't be a huge shift from Wilson and isn't a starting caliber guy...saw it somewhere else and it kind of clicked as a potential win-win (Tebow's cheaper from Seattle's perspective and more like Wilson than Flynn). I'd take it.

I guess that's more damning his talent scouting defense than anything else. I do generally have faith in the defensive scheme. When guys go down it doesn't seem to have a huge impact, which is part of why for all of my talk about first round pass rushers I'd be content to just see better athletes come in on that side of the ball. Coples I think is still up in the air but was good for a rookie as a pass rusher, is scheme versatile, got better as the year went on, and could have a bright future. Wilkerson was obviously a home run. Wilson I agree was meh. Not sure if he preferred Sanchez or Freeman, but would imagine he was behind Sanchez if they made that pick. Do think the scouts preferred Freeman. Powell was another one who the jury's kind of out on.

I'd just rather see Rex handle the defensive side of the ball more. It's where he's been best. We'll see what happens going forward, I like the fresh start. I do want to see more explosiveness on offense too, particularly from the RB position. The team's not good enough to try and move the chains up and down the field, they need to be able to get big plays to score and stay in games.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Rex Ryan wanted Sanchez the rest of Jets brass wanted Freeman.

I could not complain about it because Jets traded away nothing for Sanchez. Only problem is being top 5 put some serious pressure on qb's shoulder when he is questionable as NFL ready prospect.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rex Ryan wanted Sanchez the rest of Jets brass wanted Freeman.

I could not complain about it because Jets traded away nothing for Sanchez. Only problem is being top 5 put some serious pressure on qb's shoulder when he is questionable as NFL ready prospect.
A 2nd round pick is nothing? Here's some guys drafted shortly after that 2nd round pick: Paul Kruger, lesean McCoy, Phil loadholt, Sebastian vollmer. We could've used some of those guys no?

Last edited by Robcards : 01-21-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
A 2nd round pick is nothing? Here's some guys drafted shortly after that 2nd round pick: Paul Kruger, lesean McCoy, Phil loadholt, Sebastian vollmer. We could've used some of those guys no?
Well only McCoy would I want of those guys. I have to say though that the set-up of Freeman, McCoy, and Wallace would have been much more favorable than what we got. But that would also be putting a lot of faith in our scouting department to have snagged all of those guys (to be fair, though, I thought highly of McCoy and Wallace, so maybe they did too). Looking at that draft, there were a lot of stars drafted after our original 1st round pick position. Good times...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well only McCoy would I want of those guys. I have to say though that the set-up of Freeman, McCoy, and Wallace would have been much more favorable than what we got. But that would also be putting a lot of faith in our scouting department to have snagged all of those guys (to be fair, though, I thought highly of McCoy and Wallace, so maybe they did too). Looking at that draft, there were a lot of stars drafted after our original 1st round pick position. Good times...
Considering we took Shonn Greene with our next pick, lesean McCoy was probably a jet if we didn't move up for Sanchez. Pace and Thomas were still in their prime back then so Kruger not as likely, but I'd still prefer having Kruger than nothing
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

LOL.. I don't play "wishful" game on draft. However, if you insist.

1- If Jets were set, they could took Percy Harvin in the first round and then who would be a rookie quarterback. Pat White? Nate Davis? Stephen McGee?

2- LeSean McCoy would never be a consideration by Rex Ryan at all since he was too light for pound and ground offense. Hence, Shonn Greene.

3- Jets could of taken several others than Paul Kruger or Phil Loadholt.

4. Rex Ryan would be a moron if he passed on Hareem Hicks

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

So the Pats might have gotten a steal in this Armond Armstead guy. First the Dolphins with Wake, now this...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So the Pats might have gotten a steal in this Armond Armstead guy. First the Dolphins with Wake, now this...
Would be nice if QB Ray or something was our CFL surprise. With that success, Jets could get Wake hoping the repeat.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
LOL.. I don't play "wishful" game on draft. However, if you insist.

1- If Jets were set, they could took Percy Harvin in the first round and then who would be a rookie quarterback. Pat White? Nate Davis? Stephen McGee?

2- LeSean McCoy would never be a consideration by Rex Ryan at all since he was too light for pound and ground offense. Hence, Shonn Greene.

3- Jets could of taken several others than Paul Kruger or Phil Loadholt.

4. Rex Ryan would be a moron if he passed on Hareem Hicks

Way to miss the original point which was that the jets could've definitely have gotten a solid player with the pick they gave up to move up for Sanchez. They may have had Sanchez fall to them at 17 anyway as the Bucs reportedly had freeman above Sanchez on their board anyway.

I also think its absurd to say they wouldn't have taken McCoy. Everyone had McCoy ahead of Greene he was a steal where the eagles got him.