Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it. Now, what do we do with Vick? I can't see us drafting a QB either.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
I like it. Now, what do we do with Vick? I can't see us drafting a QB either.
I could see them thinking about Geno if he were to be available at 4. When he was at New Hampshire his offense was more of a Dana Holgorson type offense that Geno ran at WV. It was alot more passing but still had the same tempo. Or they restructure Vick's deal and wait till next year when the qb position looks to be a little stronger in the draft.

Todd Grantham is also the guy that Kelly is said to want to be the DC. He has been at Georgia the past couple years and has been a DC in the nfl. He is a 3-4 guy so Kelly may be leaning towards a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Creek
Hall of Famer
Pro Bowler

Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Creek is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kendricks/Ryan as ILBs in the 3-4 makes sense, but what about Cole/Graham on the outside? Could either of those guys transition to OLB? Both are pretty big and not exactly speed rushers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
Yeah, good joke. Awesome.
Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone kind of thought Graham's best fit was as a 3-4 OLB coming out. I think they can both do it...but it may have to be more like Wade Phillips' 3-4 where it is essentially a 5-2 and the 2 OLB's come on literally every play and we dont have them in coverage much. They may be able to do it, but its a tougher transition than people think.

I could see us being in play for Star, Moore, and Jones at 4 if we go all in with this switch.

Also Ray Horton would be an unbelievable hire now that he is out of Zona....go get him Chip. We have also interviewed Todd Grantham (Georgia DC) and Kirby Smart (Bama DC)

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
Kendricks/Ryan as ILBs in the 3-4 makes sense, but what about Cole/Graham on the outside? Could either of those guys transition to OLB? Both are pretty big and not exactly speed rushers.

I love Demeco, as evidenced by my sig, but in a 3-4 he is somewhat obsolete. He is a good 4-3 LB, but in a 3-4 he struggles to shed blockers and make big plays. That is the reason the Texans were willing to trade him, because he is not nearly as good a fit in a 3-4 defense. I'm hoping we stick to a 4-3 bc a 3-4 does not fit our personnel nearly as well, unless it is some sort of hybrid.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

All signs are pointing to Chip making the switch to the 3-4. Grantham and Smart are both 3-4 guys and have been successful with that. Idk why he would want to bring them in and stick with the 4-3 after even he ran a 3-4 at Oregon.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
apb540
Rookie

apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.apb540 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With a change in the defense I would love to trade down from 4; maybe St. Louis, Cincy, or Indy with their extra picks. We have holes across the board so let's add extra picks and learn how to hit on draft picks.

If we did 4 for 16 and 22 with St. Louis, we could fill a hole at safety with Vaccaro or/and Elam plus add another piece such as DJ Fluker (move Todd to guard and fireman to the bench), a 3-4 DT, DE, OLB, or ILB, Jon Banks if he falls, or a guy who could be a potential #1 WR such as Allen or Patterson.
apb540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

I dont know if we would be able to get 16 AND 22. We might be able to get 16 and another 2nd....but I don't have the chart in front of me. All signs are pointing to a switch to the 3-4. Horton going to the Browns hurts...but I would not be upset one bit with Grantham.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we do switch to a 34, our defense is beyond ******. I can't see that working out well for at least the first two years because we simply don't have the personnel for it. I think Cox and Jenkins fit as 5 techs, but we don't have a nose on the roster. We don't have the stand-up pass rushers on the roster. We don't have the inside linebackers on the roster. And our safeties are the worst in the league, so I don't believe the defense really even matters.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
If we do switch to a 34, our defense is beyond ******. I can't see that working out well for at least the first two years because we simply don't have the personnel for it. I think Cox and Jenkins fit as 5 techs, but we don't have a nose on the roster. We don't have the stand-up pass rushers on the roster. We don't have the inside linebackers on the roster. And our safeties are the worst in the league, so I don't believe the defense really even matters.
We don't have the personnel for it right now but I don't think we are as far away as you think. Graham and Curry were highly thought of as 3-4 prospects during draft talks so while it is yet to be seen if they fit, they were thought of to be able to play the position well. Cole is a good football player so he should be able to adapt. Nose is something we would have to address, if we made the switch I would bet on the possibility of going with Moore/Jones at 4 and then possibly trading up or hoping one of Williams/Jenkins falls to our pick in the 2nd.

Kendricks plays ILB in a 3-4 in college and was the Pac 12 DPOY so he has experience in the system. Ryans was cut loose from the Texans because he didn't fit their system (Houston's 3-4 is essentially a 5-2 because the OLB's rarely, if ever drop into coverage, so this defense requires a true thumper....which Demeco definitely is not). If we ran a system similar to Fangio's in SF we would be able to let our ILB's have more freedom...(obviously our 2 ILB's are nowhere near that of Willis/Bowman, but you get my point).

Safety is most definitely something we need to address. This is a pretty good safety class too. Reid, Elam, Vacarro, McDonald are all guys who could make an impact early. I keep wanting to believe Nate Allen is going to be a playmaker for us but he just hasn't done it yet.

Having said all that, this is still a pass heavy league where most teams base set is the nickel which is a 4 down linemen set and what we are used to. 3-4 would be our identity but in reality not many people really run a 3-4 for a majority of a game.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm with you on this one, our defense lacks a lot of key pieces to be a successful 4-3 Defense, we shouldn't set the unit back further by trying to switch to a 3-4. I'll buy Cox and Jenkins as DE's, Graham as a 3-4 OLB, and maybe Trent Cole to make the transition. I like Curry as a depth player but not as a starter.

The problem would be our run defense up the middle. I realize that Kendricks played in a 3-4 defense in college, but at the NFL level he is pretty undersized and a much better fit in a 4-3 scheme. I am a huge fan of Kendricks, but he will get engulfed by linemen and have a hard time disengaging from blockers to make plays. Ryans as we have already discussed is not nearly as effective when not in a 4-3 scheme.

Switching to a 3-4:
Pros
Graham a better fit as a 3-4 OLB
Jenkins a better fit as a 3-4 DE

Cons
No NT on our roster - hard position to step into as a rookie
Undersized inside LB's less effective
Unclear how Cole would do as a 3-4 OLB

The problem with our defense is the secondary. Introducing new needs by switching schemes is not what we need right now. I think the cons outweigh the pros of this decision.

So far the only name I've seen as an interviewee for the DC position is Jim Herrmann, who has been the LB coach for the Giants since 2009. He has experience with both formations, but I have a hard time seeing him want to run a 3-4 with our options at ILB.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

I think he is the only guy to officially interview...sure sounds like Grantham is the guy that Kelly really wants, though.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM    (permalink
igglefanz
Rookie

igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really starting to look like Donatell is gonna be the DC. Will be interesting.
igglefanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Would help big time with the secondary. Maybe Goldson will come with him :)

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
igglefanz
Rookie

igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think that our DC is on one of the 2 coaching staffs in the SB the only other person that makes sense is possibly Jim Levitt. I really am leary about him but also think he makes sense. Has DC experience but also is gonna be under fire in Philly because it was his defense that gave up the famous 4th and 26
igglefanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Have we interviewed Grantham yet?

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Welp, the 34 shift happened, but so did some surprising roster moves.

I definitely think we're going defensive line in the 1st round now. Star, Sharrif Floyd, or maybe even a pass rusher.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DL is a possibility, it seems that we aren't looking QB first round, anyway, though I still wonder if OT gets addressed, at this point, I really wouldn't mind trading down if they can find a partner, so we'll just have to see, though if they stay put I do think DL is looking most likely at this point.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Before the heart condition thing I was thinking Star had to be the pick if available. Not a huge fan of Floyd, and hope he isn't the pick. I would be all for trading back, or taking Joeckel/Fisher. If one of the nose tackles of Jenkins/Williams is on the board in the 2nd its a no brainer, and possibly trying to make a move up for a safety. I think a guy like Amerson who may go in the middle of the second would be perfect to make the move to FS.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles signed James Casey, Isaac Sopoaga, Patrick Chung, Bradley Fletcher, and Jason Phillips , and are looking at Andre Smith, Connor Barwin, and Victor Butler, among others. Not huge names, but Sopoaga at least gives us a D-linemen with a prototypical NT body, and Casey will be a useful weapon for creating mismatches for our offense. Chung looks like he should compete for a starting S/Rover role, and most likely win, and Fletcher gives us another solid enough CB to our rotation who could play Nickel or start depending how the rest of the off-season works out. Jason Phillips seems like depth to me, but could be more if he can stay healthy.

I would love Connor Barwin, I really hope the Eagles can get him inked, he is a great young talent and could be a great defensive player if used properly.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

I'm happy about this free agency. No huge names, and a lot of guys who strike me as people set out to prove people wrong.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

We got young players at key positions, I really like the Connor Barwin addition. Gives us another great athlete on defense who can rush the passer. If you are a fan of him, then you probably think he has the biggest upside of any of our signings and adds a lot of versatility to our LB unit. The more I think about it, the more I could see him being moved around a lot throughout the LB corp, meaning used thorughout different packages, as well as potentially replacing Ryans. Having him and Kendricks together for a few years could be the making of a great LB duo. Add in our young pass rushers and our LB corp could very well be the strength of this team in a few seasons.

Kenny Phillips is a good signing no matter how you look at it. He has his health issues, but with it being a 1 year deal that gives the team options, and if he plays up to his draft status (if he is truly healthy this is easily possible) our S duo just improved exponentially.

I really like this Free Agent haul so far. I don't really like the Cary Williams signing, mostly because he's just going to be a stopgap who isn't really a personal favorite of mine, but after the last two seasons of our Corner play, I may warm up to him. Besides Williams though, we got younger players at positions of need who are athletic and fit the roles they look like they'll be asked to be in. I've honestly been feeling somewhat pessimistic about the future of the team recently, particularly this upcoming season, but it seems like there is a direction the team is going and we are getting players at decent value, while improving the talent on the team. No matter how you look at this free agent class, the depth on the roster is drastically better than it was at the start, and better than last season.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

It's looking like DE will be the 1st pick since we have a glaring hole there and the value should be excellent. I know most of you would be happy with Star Lotulelei, but what if Star is gone and Sharrif Floyd is on the board?

What are y'alls thoughts on Floyd?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
It's looking like DE will be the 1st pick since we have a glaring hole there and the value should be excellent. I know most of you would be happy with Star Lotulelei, but what if Star is gone and Sharrif Floyd is on the board?

What are y'alls thoughts on Floyd?
Not super high on Floyd, but he is a solid player. I am personally way higher on Star and I don't feel they are close as players if everything is fine with Star medically. Floyd had good numbers but didn't have constant penetration like Star had, and from the film I've seen Floyd makes quite a few tackles a few yards down the field. Star was fighting double teams all year and still continued to make an impact.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

I think Floyd is going to definitely be a better pro player than college player, just not sold that his fit is at 5-tech. No doubt he could hold his own, but I'd rather get a guy like Star, who is versatile enough to play every position on the line.

I'd rather trade back or get Star. I feel like Sheldon Richardson and Sharrif are on the same tier as well.