Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
dregolll
Rookie

dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll
Default Haloti Ngata= HOF

Is Haloti Ngata a HOF or on that road. Great physical specimen, my question is, has he done enough to get into Canton or does he need a couple more All-Pro teams to solidify this notion. In my opinion he is a 1st ballot HOF. Your opinions please.
dregolll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Delete this thread.

Source of request: A Ravens fan
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll probably be in the HofF one day.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
He'll probably be in the HofF one day.
He probably won't be; but he probably should be.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see him getting there one day, but this thread is about 5-6 years too early.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only 22 career sacks. Not Hall of Fame worthy.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not a HOFer. And quite honestly, he's a little overrated on this forum.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great player, but how are we even talking about this yet?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Ngata and Vince Wilforlk will both end up in Canton, with Wilfork having the stronger case on his side.

I think how many sacks a 34 DE/NT has for some players is almost irrelevant.

Wilfork and Ngata are the prototype 34 NTs most teams are always looking for but never seem to be able to find.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was this thread started by a 49ers fan? :)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good player, but no HOF.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrell Suggs is ahead of him currently and even he's still got a very long way to go before Canton even enters the conversation.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Ngata is a hell of a player. But he's overpaid, and a little overrated. He's playing on a 5 year 60 million dollar contract. That's roughly 12 million dollars a year.

That's franchise quarterback money. That's elite pass rusher money. Ngata is neither of those forces.

Ngata is great at what he does. He's great at occupying blockers, pushing the pocket, and stopping the run.

But he is not a pass rusher. It's a passing league, and you save those kind of resources for passers, pass catchers, and pass rushers. He's a 4 sack a season player. He doesn't impact the passing game enough to warrant that kind of money.

Now is he a great player? Absolutely. The best in the business at what he does (Wilfork is possibly better). But he doesn't impact the game the same way a pass rusher does, and his contributions don't translate to his contract. He's overpaid.

Would I want Ngata on my team? Of course. Would I want him on my team for 12 million dollars a year? No way. Way overpaid.

As far as interior defenders go, I'll take Geno Atkins, JJ Watt, arguably NSuh, over him. For production/$, I'll take Wilfork over him (5 years 40 million).
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suh over Ngata? Dafuq?

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Suh was better this year.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Bc Suh at least has potential to rush the passer at an elite level. He's shown it before with his 10 sack season. Suh can take on double teams himself as well. He's been doing it consistently for the past 2 seasons.

One of the bigger myths on this forum is that Suh is an average player. That's not true at all. He's a decent pass rusher, regularly takes on 2 blockers, and has NO help on that DL. That DL blows. Every time I watch them line up wide 9, they instantly double Suh. Every play. They're not concerned about their other rushers at all.

Way too often on this forum we let personal opinions impact our assessment of players. Yeah Suh is a turd. But he's a talented turd.

We know what Ngata is. He'll never become a pass rusher. But Suh still has the potential to become an elite pass rusher. He's displayed those skills in the past, and he can recapture that with better technique and coaching.

And he can occupy blockers just as well as Ngata. He's an incredible stack and shed DT. In a 2 gap scheme, Suh can be every bit the dominant force that Ngata is, plus offer 10X more pass rush.

The wide 9 is a terrible fit for him and he's been terribly managed in Detroit, but the talent is definitely there, and he's still very productive.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Fletcher Cox is a name to look out for in the future. I think he has the pass rush ability to be an impact player at the position.

For me personally, I value pass rushers. You gotta rush the passer. Run stuffers are easy to find, and they're easy to replace. Your value as an occupier, or a run lane clogger isn't all great to me.

I'm not saying Ngata is a bad player. He's a great player. But his value is way overstated. He's not a pass rusher. He doesn't offer any pass rush ability.

That's just not a skillset that I hold to a high standard. I want my big money guys to rush the passer. I can't validate your worth as a defender if you're not an elite cover guy or elite pass rusher. If you're neither of those, you don't deserve the kind of money Ngata makes.

It's just bad allocation of resources.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's erroneous to say Ngata offers no pass rush. His first 4 years in the league he averaged less than sacks per year. In the past 3 years he's improved that average to 5/year. Celebrated space-eating blobs like Ted Washington, Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, Pat Williams, and even Kris Jenkins didn't/don't consistently offer the kind of pocket push that Ngata does. Ngata is definitely more in that mold than the athletic pass rushing DLman like Atkins, Watt, or Suh. But to say he offers no pass rush whatsoever is overstating it.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Wilfork is every bit the force that Ngata is, is every bit as versatile as Ngata is as he's also moved around along the DL, and is 20 million dollars cheaper.

If anyone has hurry #s available, I'd be interested in seeing those. Perhaps my stance would change after seeing those #s, but I never viewed Ngata as a pass rusher.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I intentionally left Wilfork off the list because I put him and Ngata in the same class. I would agree that Ngata is a bit overpaid, but Wilfork is a bargain.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What choice did Baltimore have?? Let Ngata walk?? Yes he's (slightly)overpaid, but depending where he's lined up especially at 34 end he can create instant impact for the Ravens pass rush because he nearly demands a double team.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

All I'm saying is, he's a little overrated as a whole bc he doesn't have the same impact on the pass game the way an interior pass rusher does.

As for his contract, I think it's hard to say in hindsight whether they should have let him walk or not. I don't think the ship would sink if they let him walk but at the same time they are a better defense with him. So it's hard to say.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
All I'm saying is, he's a little overrated as a whole bc he doesn't have the same impact on the pass game the way an interior pass rusher does.

As for his contract, I think it's hard to say in hindsight whether they should have let him walk or not. I don't think the ship would sink if they let him walk but at the same time they are a better defense with him. So it's hard to say.
I think this is the big issue with valuing players through contracts. If Ngata costs the Ravens x amount of dollars but they still have money to re-sign guys like Suggs, Rice, Flacco, Webb etc then is it a big deal if they overpaid?

It only really hurts if a team cripples themselves from a cap point of view to re-sign one player.

I don't think Ngata was worth the contract he got but I don't criticise the Ravens for making the move. As you mentioned they are a better defense with him than without him.

But the problem is people see the contract and assume he has been this dominating force, which he really hasn't been over the last year and a bit. It will be interesting to see the type of contracts Atkins and Watt got soon though because if Ngata is making 12 per year Atkins could realistically ask for 13 or 14 and Watt could ask for the state of Texas

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Umm BBD, Fairley was better than Suh this year. By a lot...he's actually really, really good.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see the argument about interior guys who provide pass rush being valuable. Ngata is having a down year honestly as he has been hampered by injuries all year and it shows. Wilfork signed a huge bargain of a contract for the Patriots, but Ngata's contract wasn't that bad. There was no way in hell we were going to let him walk and I thought it was a decent deal. I just disagree generally that not being an elite pass rushing DT means you are worthless and overpaid.

Also Watt plays a completely different position than Ngata. They may both line up at 34 DE, but Watt is more akin to a 43 DE and Ngata is more of a 43 DT. Wade has Watt attack up field and make plays; it's not like Watt is 2 gaping and having to read and react.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote