Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The WR depth on this team is pitiful. It's embarassing when the WR on your team most likely to make a big play is Wes Welker. I may be in the minority but I like what Brandon Lloyd has brought. He can widen the field for Brady and work the boundary. But nobody can get down the field consistently. Donte Stallworth played just off the street. Deion Branch shouldn't get near the field anymore. They dressed 4 WRs, if you include Slater who is a special teams guy. When you look across the offense you see a young, varied rushing attack which will be bolstered next year with Jeff Demps. When you look at TE you see an extraordinary group which will be added to next year with Jake Ballard. The offensive line is young and extremely solid. The only issue on offense is at the receiver spot. Belichick has never had much success drafting WRs which makes me think they may get a guy in free agency, Brian Hartline and Greg Jennings the most obvious IMO.

If the Pats get a guy at WR in free agency then they can go defense again in the draft. I want at least 2 DBs, and interior rusher and/or a defensive end (although Ninkovich has been outstanding this year) and a nickle LB.

I do not want to see Marquice Cole on the field in a playoff game. I do not want to see Kyle Arrington playing boundary CB. I want a stud safety next to McCourty.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair, Tavon Wilson has looked solid this year. I think he's been a pleasant surprise, although he did make some rookie mistakes. I'm not sure why, but he didn't see the field a whole lot in the second half of the season. I like his potential.

I really want Corey Lemonier and Kawann Short. I think we can trade down and still get both, which IMO is the best thing to do. Having ammunition in next year's draft should be a priority. The receiver class is really deep, and for the most part I like what I see. Quinton Patton is an interesting guy, although I wouldn't want to take him earlier than the third round. He'll have his hands full in the NFL with the more physical CBs. Marquess Wilson, Stedman Bailey and Da'Rick Rodgers are all mid-round possibilities and would all bolster our squad significantly. Really want to see BB targeting WR in FA like he did back in '07. With Bowe and Jennings most likely hitting the open market and us having just shy of $20 mil. to spend I think going after an impact receiver should be something to look into.

Tracy Porter is a FA, and probably wouldn't cost us a fortune to bring in. I liked his skill set coming out, and even though he hasn't evolved into what I thought he'd be he's still better than Marquice Cole as a nickel or dime back. Antoine Cason is another under the radar CB that would be a welcome addition to this team. However, re-signing Talib is a priority. Draftwise I'd like to take a flyer on either Greg Reid or Tyrann Mathieu in the middle or late rounds. Both would be great fits in the slot and especially Reid can contribute on special teams.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugly. That was a textbook example of what happens when you can/cannot capitalize on the opportunities you receive. When the Ravens had the chance they registered broken tackles, take-aways, and touchdowns. When the Pats had the chance they registered missed tackles, give-aways, and dropped passes.

Please, please, please draft someone who can actually affect the pocket on a regular basis. Add a speed WR, as well. I would love to see a stud safety but am not sure how the depth looks in the draft this year.

The market for Wes Welker is going to be far softer than anyone thinks. He's been dropping way to many passes over the last 16 months.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welker drops something like 1 out of every 9 passes thrown his way. Of course guys who see more targets will have more drops but that isn't good enough for a guy looking major money, especially considering his age. I think Cleveland is really the only team who will give him a decent sized contract. They need someone like Welker and Lombardi blows his beans over Pats players.

There is a lot of depth at safety in this draft. There are a good 7 or 8 guys who can be had in the first 3 rounds.

The problem I see with WR in the draft is it's tough to find a guy like that without giving up good picks. Brandon Tate and Taylor Price are prime examples of guys who had the tools to be the deep threat/speed WR but it didn't work out. i think if they want a difference maker at WR they need to bite the bullet and draft a guy like Tavon Austin or Hopkins in the 1st. There will be a run on WRs between picks 20-50 and if the Pats want a good one they need to make it happen

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously ^

Welker dropped like three critical first down passes last night, one was a difficult catch but the other two hit him right in the god damn hands. Good luck getting your pay day now pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I defend Welker more than most, but that drop on 3rd down was pitiful. He has been dropping a good amount of passes the past two seasons, there was obviously that Super Bowl drop, but that 3rd down drop was maybe the worst one I've seen. That was a huge momentum killer at a point where we had the chance to put one in the Ravens throat.

We ****** a lot of stuff up. That debacle at the end of the first half was mind-boggling. Belichick will lose sleep over that for months. A lot of people thought we wouldn't really struggle with Baltimore and I do not understand that. We needed Gronk badly yesterday and the Talib injury really hurt us. Every team has injuries though, and the great ones battle through it. We pissed all over ourselves for about 40 minutes of that game. Just ball busting mistake after ball busting mistake after ball busting mistake.

Last night showed that we clearly need more weapons on the outside. I am pretty sure all of us on this board have known that for a while, but now everybody should know that. Gronk will be back and so will Hernandez, but we need a big play receiver. There is a chance Welker is back, as Elvis said I do not think there will be a huge market for him. We need a big play receiver. Corradale Patterson is precisely what we need but he probably won't be available. Justin Hunter and Da'rick Rogers are guys I think that could be answers. Tavon Austin is explosive but we really need some size at the position. Lloyd cannot keep his feet. He does some crazy acrobatic ****, but he has had the same problem his whole career-he makes routine **** look impossible. When he slipped and couldn't get to that slant that would have been a first down I almost broke the TV. He leaves his feet too much and always falls down.

Talib needs to be back. Everyone and their mother knows that. He is the best cover corner we have had since Ty Law. There really isn't much more to be said. Our defense is a different unit with him on the field, and it was painfully obvious last night.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Seriously ^

Welker dropped like three critical first down passes last night, one was a difficult catch but the other two hit him right in the god damn hands. Good luck getting your pay day now pal.
The NFL is somehow littered with idiot decision makers. Someone will pay him.

The 3rd down ball he dropped on the out route at the start of the second was just horrendous. For all the good things he does in this offense he just kills drives at times, and in games like yesterday it all adds up.

Overall though I can't blame it all on Welker, there were some really bad things in crucial situations.

Brady throwing the ball away on 4th down??? WTF was that?

Solder holding on a 3 man rush with only 2 yards needed.

Awful clock management.

Punting inside the 35 yard line?

All in all this was a shitfest. First 3 drives the defense looked awesome and the offense were moving the ball. If they get a TD early they probably put the Ravens in a hole. But they keep it close in the first and the second half adjustments just killed us

Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

****** showing, the defense pre-Talib injury looked great. Not having Jones hurt. Still, i leave the game feeling decent about next year.

We'll be about 35 under, (without welker). I'd be down for resigning Talib in the 7-8 mil a year range. Resign Edelman at 3ish. Tag Vollmer, we'll see how his back holds up. Resign Woodhead to a similar deal as last time. **** off Arrington, **** off Chung. I say we also release Brandon Lloyd, he's not the deep guy we expected and it's what we need.

I'll also say that while I was really anti-dennard pre-draft. The kid has gone above and beyond. Seriously, he reminds me of Ty Law with his style of play. Him and Dennard next year with a training camp under their belts would be excellent.

Also wouldn't mind cutting Greggory if a better option is available. He has 0 man cover skills.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
****** showing, the defense pre-Talib injury looked great. Not having Jones hurt. Still, i leave the game feeling decent about next year.

We'll be about 35 under, (without welker). I'd be down for resigning Talib in the 7-8 mil a year range. Resign Edelman at 3ish. Tag Vollmer, we'll see how his back holds up. Resign Woodhead to a similar deal as last time. **** off Arrington, **** off Chung. I say we also release Brandon Lloyd, he's not the deep guy we expected and it's what we need.

I'll also say that while I was really anti-dennard pre-draft. The kid has gone above and beyond. Seriously, he reminds me of Ty Law with his style of play. Him and Dennard next year with a training camp under their belts would be excellent.

Also wouldn't mind cutting Greggory if a better option is available. He has 0 man cover skills.
I disagree with a few things here.

Firstly, yes Lloyd isn't a deep threat but he wasn't asked to be a deep threat. What Lloyd does is stretch the field horizontally. The vast majority of what the Pats do is focused around the middle of the field. Lloyd forces defenses to account for him. He can beat man coverage on the outside. The issue is across from him there isn't anyone who can do the same.

I would like to keep Arrington. As a slot CB he is very good. Plus get rid of him and you are left with Marquice Cole playing significant snaps.

I have no issue with Chung being let go. He offers nothing anymore as a defensive player.

Gregory is a good player to have, however an upgrade would be nice but I still want him around.

There is no point in tearing things up without any back up options. Tavon Wilson may be a very good player down the line but he isn't yet. I wouldn't feel comforable with him starting right now.

I love Dennard. I soured on him because of the senior bowl last year where he showed he isn't an off man corner. But let him press and he's a stud. There were a lot of people who thought he was a better player than Amukamara at Nebraska, obviously with lesser physical gifts.

There are 2 major ifs in this equation, but IF the Pats continue to play this aggressive press man scheme next year and IF Ras-I Dowling can stay healthy he will have a role. The Pats were stubborn with their soft zone coverage last year and Dowling isn't that type of player. He was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. However if the defense stays as it has (dependant on Talib of course) then he could be a nice surprise

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great thoughts all around. We passed two potential big play receivers in Bryant and Thomas. Perhaps BB under values the position, or maybe Brady expects too much, I don't know. Bowe might be a fit, but he'll be expensive. Matt might be on to something trading for Harvin, but if Hopkins is available I'd pull the trigger on him. We'll have more DB/LB options in the second.

We still have a good team and we'll be in contention for the remainder of Brady's career. Let's hope we can get some of our holes fixed.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to get Hopkins, he just seems he can play inside and outside, great hands. No way we wopuld have a chance for Harvin this year at least.

love the Gator boiys though, Floyd is a huge upgrade to Deadrick, Elam reminds me of Reed and Jenkins will be the best coverage LB in the NFL within 3 years, and Im NOT a Gator fan
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have finally recovered enough to speak about next season.

First off, I will not be negative. I still have to give the boys their due. Again I will say that we have been blessed with tremendous success. Does it absolutely ******* suck the way the last two years have ended? Yes, they are total ******* heart wrenching losses. However, I realize that we are not going to win the Super Bowl every year and will accept being a consistent top four team year in and year out. This is my 23rd season as a Patriots fans. I have been lucky enough to see my beloved team play in 8 AFC Championship games, play in 6 Super Bowls, and capture 3 Lombardi Trophies.

I don't think any franchise has been as fortunate as us since 1990!

Now as for the team.

I am starting to feel very confident in the O-Line...Solder, Connolly, Wendell, Mankins, and Vollmer. They seem like they really started to gel and looked great in the AFC Championship. I believe that Brady was not sacked. Seems like a good group of veterans that should continue to improve as they get more time together.

Still love what we have at QB. Brady is still Brady. Though he needs to perform better in the games that matter. He is supposed to be the Alpha Male on offense, so we need to see that from him again. Still have no idea what we have in Mallett, but I hope he has "it" in case Brady goes down.

I like our three headed option at running back, but Ridley and Vereen need to work on their ball security. I love how hard Woodhead runs. The fact that his is solid at picking up the blitz and receiving out of the backfield is an added bonus for a guy of his stature. I hope we can see more out of what we saw from Vereen during the Houston game next season.

Wide Receiver obviously is the biggest position of need on the offensive side of the ball. Realistically everyone can and could be replaced. I want Welker back, but at the right price. I hope he realizes that New England is the best place for him, and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I also would like to see Edleman return due to his versatility. If Welker goes, I feel Edleman has to be retained. I wouldnt mind seeing Bradon Lloyd return, but wouldnt shed a tear if he was gone either. I think Branch is gone. Wide Receiver must be address in the 1st or 2nd Rd of the draft or by going out and getting a top flight free agent (a pipe dream I know). I'd love to see DeAndre Hopkins in Red, White, and Blue next August.

What can I say, we are set at Tight End as long as they are healthy. Gronk and Hernandez. What more can you say?

On to the defense...

Defensive End can also use an upgrade. I would love to see us add a another solid pass rusher. I like what I see out of Chandler Jones, but we need to see more than a season until we can really judge him. I like Rob Ninkovich, great guy, great motor, not the most talented, but busts his ass. However, if they can find an upgrade you have to pull the trigger. Other than that what do we have??? Are we every going to get much out of Jermaine Cunningham or Jake Bequette?

Defensive Line is solid with Wifork manning the middle, but how much longer can the big man's body hold up? Vince will be entering his 10th season next year, that big body has a lot of mileage on it. Might be time to start looking for Vince eventual replacement sooner, rather than later. Kyle Love and Brandon Dreaderick are meh...

I really love our linebackers...Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower...with Mayo being the most experienced at 6 years of service, I really hope this group will be tearing things up for years to come. Depth is a concern though, as not much is coming off the bench at LB. Dane Fletcher is servicable in a pinch.

Now the most troublesome area on the team...our secondary. Now I have to say that I like what we had at corner in the AFC championship with Dennard and Talib. We say what happened when Talib got hurt and Arrington went in. I like Arrington as a slot/nickle corner, but no way should he be starting in NE ever again. I really hope they bring back Talib. The guy has the talent and we seem to have a thing with bringing out the best in guys with character concers. Talib and Dennard could be a real solid CB tandem. As for safety, the Steve Gregory experiment has to end. Sorry Steve but you just can't cut it as a starting safety. I think it is time to give the spot to Tavon Wilson. The move of McCourty to safefy seems to have saved his career. I really don't know what to do with this group? It looks like it needs upgrades, but would we really be that bad if we started Talib, Dennard, McCourty, and Wilson in the secondary in 2013?

Specialist...I love Mesko...Gostkowski, not so much...I hope BB brings in a Kicker during camp to challenge him.

Love me some Nate Ebner on special teams.

Well that is my assesment...here is hoping to a better 2013!

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
I have finally recovered enough to speak about next season.

First off, I will not be negative. I still have to give the boys their due. Again I will say that we have been blessed with tremendous success. Does it absolutely ******* suck the way the last two years have ended? Yes, they are total ******* heart wrenching losses. However, I realize that we are not going to win the Super Bowl every year and will accept being a consistent top four team year in and year out. This is my 23rd season as a Patriots fans. I have been lucky enough to see my beloved team play in 8 AFC Championship games, play in 6 Super Bowls, and capture 3 Lombardi Trophies.

I don't think any franchise has been as fortunate as us since 1990!

Now as for the team.

I am starting to feel very confident in the O-Line...Solder, Connolly, Wendell, Mankins, and Vollmer. They seem like they really started to gel and looked great in the AFC Championship. I believe that Brady was not sacked. Seems like a good group of veterans that should continue to improve as they get more time together.

Agreed. The o line is studly and there is nice depth with McDonald, Thomas and Cannon. Maybe get a top guy to take over from Connolly but that's a luxury at this point

Still love what we have at QB. Brady is still Brady. Though he needs to perform better in the games that matter. He is supposed to be the Alpha Male on offense, so we need to see that from him again. Still have no idea what we have in Mallett, but I hope he has "it" in case Brady goes down.

QB isn't a worry yet. I really am intrigued by Mallett though

I like our three headed option at running back, but Ridley and Vereen need to work on their ball security. I love how hard Woodhead runs. The fact that his is solid at picking up the blitz and receiving out of the backfield is an added bonus for a guy of his stature. I hope we can see more out of what we saw from Vereen during the Houston game next season.

I like our 5 headed option with the 3 you mentioned, Bolden and Demps

Wide Receiver obviously is the biggest position of need on the offensive side of the ball. Realistically everyone can and could be replaced. I want Welker back, but at the right price. I hope he realizes that New England is the best place for him, and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I also would like to see Edleman return due to his versatility. If Welker goes, I feel Edleman has to be retained. I wouldnt mind seeing Bradon Lloyd return, but wouldnt shed a tear if he was gone either. I think Branch is gone. Wide Receiver must be address in the 1st or 2nd Rd of the draft or by going out and getting a top flight free agent (a pipe dream I know). I'd love to see DeAndre Hopkins in Red, White, and Blue next August.

I don't think we can, or should, replace Lloyd. He wasn't what everyone expected (deep threat) but he wasn't asked to be. He is pretty much the 4th or 5th option in the passing game and he put up nearly 1000 yards. I think we all would have taken that at the start of the year but people want to compare what he did to what Moss did. Different player, different offense. I agree with the rest and would include Tavon Austin with Hopkins. Either one and I'm happy

What can I say, we are set at Tight End as long as they are healthy. Gronk and Hernandez. What more can you say?

Hooman and Ballard as well. I think Fells gets let go. Hooman is huge in the run game and Ballard is an x factor depending on his knee.

On to the defense...

Defensive End can also use an upgrade. I would love to see us add a another solid pass rusher. I like what I see out of Chandler Jones, but we need to see more than a season until we can really judge him. I like Rob Ninkovich, great guy, great motor, not the most talented, but busts his ass. However, if they can find an upgrade you have to pull the trigger. Other than that what do we have??? Are we every going to get much out of Jermaine Cunningham or Jake Bequette?

Bequette deserves another year, we'll call this a redshirt year. Cunningham did nothing after his suspension so I don't know what is happening and wouldn't be surprised to see him go. Every year we talk about upgrading Nink but for the whole season he was probably the best and most consistent player on defense. Sure if somehow you can get a stud pass rusher then I'm all for it but I don't think it is a pressing need.

Defensive Line is solid with Wifork manning the middle, but how much longer can the big man's body hold up? Vince will be entering his 10th season next year, that big body has a lot of mileage on it. Might be time to start looking for Vince eventual replacement sooner, rather than later. Kyle Love and Brandon Dreaderick are meh...

I want a guy who can play the 3 technique and let Wilfork go back on the nose. Vince can dominate anyone at any time but put him where he needs to be and limit his snaps. Love had a real let down year. Deaderick was better than expected but can certainly be upgraded.

I really love our linebackers...Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower...with Mayo being the most experienced at 6 years of service, I really hope this group will be tearing things up for years to come. Depth is a concern though, as not much is coming off the bench at LB. Dane Fletcher is servicable in a pinch.

I really like them too and when Fletcher comes back he gives more of a coverage look in nickle situations. I would maybe take a coverage LB as early as the 3rd though because it is a big area of concern.

Now the most troublesome area on the team...our secondary. Now I have to say that I like what we had at corner in the AFC championship with Dennard and Talib. We say what happened when Talib got hurt and Arrington went in. I like Arrington as a slot/nickle corner, but no way should he be starting in NE ever again. I really hope they bring back Talib. The guy has the talent and we seem to have a thing with bringing out the best in guys with character concers. Talib and Dennard could be a real solid CB tandem. As for safety, the Steve Gregory experiment has to end. Sorry Steve but you just can't cut it as a starting safety. I think it is time to give the spot to Tavon Wilson. The move of McCourty to safefy seems to have saved his career. I really don't know what to do with this group? It looks like it needs upgrades, but would we really be that bad if we started Talib, Dennard, McCourty, and Wilson in the secondary in 2013?

Talib and Dennard are a real nice duo at CB and Arrington is actually very good in the slot. I don't think Gregory has been as bad as he is being made out to be but he just hasn't been that good either. Tavon Wilson has tools and upside but I worry if it is still a little early to be starting him. If the Pats could get an Ed Reed for a year or two then Wilson could learn how to play the position from the best. I'm interested to see what Dowling can do in an aggressive press man scheme because that is what he is suited to play in.

Specialist...I love Mesko...Gostkowski, not so much...I hope BB brings in a Kicker during camp to challenge him.

Gostkowski missed some big kicks but improved throughout the year. He's still a top 5 kicker in the league and I don't think it's that big an issue. Mesko is real good.

Love me some Nate Ebner on special teams.

Well that is my assesment...here is hoping to a better 2013!
Responses in bold

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodhead isn't coming back. They don't have roster spots for 5 RBs, again.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just in case some of you missed it in the conf. champ thread.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Here's my look at the team moving forward into the offseason:

QB: Tom Brady is still playing at an elite level and shows no sign of regressing yet. However he will be 36 next year and the organisation needs to be prepared for the eventuality that Brady will retire some day. Whether or not they believe Ryan Mallett to be the future is still unclear, however as a back up right now he is a very good option. In all reality we won’t know what we have in Mallett until the time comes for him to play or be let go. This issue is not a pressing need yet, however if someone provides good value similar to Mallett did 2 years ago then I believe the position will not be addressed with the exception of possibly a late round developmental guy.

RB: This position group is one of the strongest on the roster. Steven Ridley was the bell cow this year and proved a very good back, although his fumbling issues still seem to be a worry. Danny Woodhead was a tremendous 3rd down, passing situation back and if the team can bring him back on a relatively cheap deal then they will. Shane Vereen is the x factor at this point. He has shone when given chances however was buried on the depth chart. Brandon Bolden also showed flashes of being able to be counted on. Jeff Demps will likely make the roster next year but his opportunities to carry the ball will be limited and he may be viewed as a special teams player to improve the return games.

WR: Most fans and analysts are in agreement that this position could use a much needed influx in both youth and talent. Wes Welker has been a constant since 2007 however he will likely test the water in FA. How other teams view his value will determine whether or not he stays or leaves. Brandon Lloyd hasn’t been Randy Moss this year however has added a critical dimension to the passing game. He can beat single coverage on the outside. Lloyd’s production may increase in his second year. Julian Edelman will also likely test free agency and may be brought in elsewhere. Deion Branch and Donte Stallworth likely won’t make it past training camp. Jeremy Ebert is also a long shot to make the roster. I expect a number of new faces at the position next year, be it through free agency, the draft or via trade.
OL: This is another positional group of great strength. Sebastian Vollmer is probably a must re-sign at RT as Marcus Cannon struggled a lot at times when playing. The interior offensive line is extremely solid and unless the value presents itself in the draft then I believe the 3 starters will return. Donald Thomas, Marcus Cannon and Nick McDonald offer very good depth as well.

DL: This is the one area which is hard to decipher. Chandler Jones showed great promise in his rookie year but was slowed by injuries in the second half. Vince Wilfork was also his dominant self for the majority of the year, however his playing time must be a worry at this point. Rob Ninkovich was likely the Patriots most consistent and versatile defensive player this year. Sure getting a stud strong side end would be nice but I don’t see it as a pressing need. The interior position next to Wilfork is the big one IMO. Kyle Love regressed and Brandon Deaderick is very average. There are numerous players in the draft who could be targets to take up this spot. A situational rusher may also be added as Jermaine Cunningham will likely be let go.

LB: A position which brings some disagreement amongst fans and analysts. The starting trio of Spikes, Mayo and Hightower are elite against the run, however they are all probably too big to be effective in coverage. The Patriots gave up a lot of yards and completions to RBs and TEs. A coverage LB may be coveted depending on how Dane Fletcher comes back.

DB: The future of the secondary is likely dependent on Aqib Talib. His acquisition allowed the Patriots to be more aggressive knowing that he and Dennard could be left in press man coverage. Before that they played a lot of 2 deep soft zones, which given the LBs vulnerability in coverage was a disaster. Continuing to play predominantly man coverage should also benefit Ras-I Dowling, although anything he brings at this point is a bonus. CB could be a position looked at early because while Kyle Arrington is a nice slot CB he struggles mightily on the outside and Marquice Cole is a liability. The safety position is solid with some youth, however adding a stud beside Devin McCourty may be the best option for the entire defense. There are a lot of great safeties set for free agency this year which may be both beneficial and detrimental to the Patriots. Players like Jarius Byrd, Dashon Goldson and William Moore will all likely command mega contracts from either thei current team or another. This will likely put the Patriots out of the market for them, however it may mean safeties in the draft fall. Both Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid look like first round safeties but they could fall on draft day. After that there are numerous talented safeties that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Overall I would list the needs of this team as

1. Defensive Tackle
2. Wide Receiver
3. Safety
4. Corner
5. DE
6. Interior Offensive Lineman

What happens on draft day will all boil down to value. However I would be surprised if by training camp at least 4 of these holes aren’t filled.

Ideal draft and free agency

DeAndre Hopkins, WR
Matt Elam, Safety
Cornellius Carradine, DE
Brian Hartline, WR
Antoine Cason, CB
Jason Jones, DT

Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
The WR depth on this team is pitiful.
It's not the depth that is the problem. The depth is fantastic. Most teams don't have as many solid starters as NE does.

It's the #1 WR problem. We simply do not have one.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
It's not the depth that is the problem. The depth is fantastic. Most teams don't have as many solid starters as NE does.

It's the #1 WR problem. We simply do not have one.
I think the term #1 WR is over used. Off offense isn't based on that type of player. Technically that would be Welker as well. When looking at the depth though, after Welker, Lloyd and Edelman you have guys who probably shouldn't be on rosters. Edelman went down and they started Stallworth off the street and Branch off the street.

Adding a top target is needed, adding more guys who aren't street FAs is essential IMO

Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, please dont jump all over me for this, but could anyone see BB bringing in Tebow as the teams 3rd QB? BB loves his Florida players from the Urban Meyer days, McDaniels loves Tebow, and he seems like a great locker room guy. I dont see Tim getting an opportunity from anyone else in the league, so he could come real cheap.

Also, you think we could deal for Revis? We could offer up a 3rd round pick, a pair of Giselle's shoes, and a coupon for laser removal surgery. NYJ and Ryan couldnt refuse that right?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
Ok, please dont jump all over me for this, but could anyone see BB bringing in Tebow as the teams 3rd QB? BB loves his Florida players from the Urban Meyer days, McDaniels loves Tebow, and he seems like a great locker room guy. I dont see Tim getting an opportunity from anyone else in the league, so he could come real cheap.

Also, you think we could deal for Revis? We could offer up a 3rd round pick, a pair of Giselle's shoes, and a coupon for laser removal surgery. NYJ and Ryan couldnt refuse that right?
I would gladly trade our entire draft this year (not much) and Welker (if we franchise him) to the Jets for Revis in a heart beat. And no on Tebow. I'll be surprised if anyone touches him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

If we bring in Tebow I'll switch my allegiance to the Jets. Also, I'm completely on board with Jvig wrt. Revis. However, he's not a team player so BB wouldn't touch him. And with the things he's said about BB over the years I doubt that BB would even consider it. On top of that he's looking for $16 mil. per year according to some sources, and you don't pay that kind of money for a CB if you want to be a succesful team in the NFL.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Would I like a player like Revis? You better believe it, but I don't want him when you take into consideration he is just off a serious knee injury, will be looking for a major contract and has shown previously that he is willing to hold out. Plus add in he is going to cost at the very least a 1st and something else to bring him in.

And it's not BB's MO. He brings in low risk guys. It meant nothing to cut Haynesworth etc. However if you bring in Revis then you better hope he is at least as good as he has always been because he just crippled your cap

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

BB hasn't carried 3 QBs on the roster in several years now. I highly doubt he'd cut Hoyer (who at least had functional QB skills) b/c he only wants 2 QBs and then change that method for Tebow (who does not have functional QB skills.) On top of that, I don't believe BB or Bob Kraft would want to have the nonsense that comes with Tebow anywhere near this organization.

Not worth the

Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I would gladly trade our entire draft this year (not much) and Welker (if we franchise him) to the Jets for Revis in a heart beat. And no on Tebow. I'll be surprised if anyone touches him.
Maybe we can get a discount on Revis if we agree to take Tebow...