Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They supposedly had Shonn Greene as a first round pick on their board, so I don't think it's that absurd to say that they wouldn't have taken McCoy. Obviously that would have been the better pick, but history certainly shows the Jets don't always make the better pick.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
They supposedly had Shonn Greene as a first round pick on their board, so I don't think it's that absurd to say that they wouldn't have taken McCoy. Obviously that would have been the better pick, but history certainly shows the Jets don't always make the better pick.
Ehh I think that's a lot of talking up players they drafted. Just like I'm not sure Tampa had freeman as their #1 qb which is what they said after the fact. But regardless, my original statement was simply pointing out what we potentially gave up in the Sanchez trade, which yolo shrugged off as 'nothing'
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree they talk up their players a lot, but based on the way that they've drafted I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had grades like that on guys like Green or Kenrick Ellis. They traded up for Greene too, so they clearly liked him a lot. Obviously they didn't give up nothing in the Sanchez trade, although it was a pretty clear win on the value chart. Great deal if you got the right guy, which they unfortunately did not.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree they talk up their players a lot, but based on the way that they've drafted I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had grades like that on guys like Green or Kenrick Ellis. They traded up for Greene too, so they clearly liked him a lot. Obviously they didn't give up nothing in the Sanchez trade, although it was a pretty clear win on the value chart. Great deal if you got the right guy, which they unfortunately did not.
Not a fan of the value chart tbh. There's obvious flaws with it. For example the #1 pick this year isn't worth half as much as the #2 pick was last year
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

There's flaws with everything, but it's about as good a guide as there is. It's impossible to put together a general chart that's going to apply to all years which is why what those top picks go for really fluctuates (that and the old rookie salary issues). Not really a better thing to use right now though. Regardless what you think of the chart that trade would have been a steal and a half if Sanchez was the franchise QB they thought they were drafting. Obviously that wasn't the case though.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Could have been because Green was the last rb on their board they really liked but I think he was the guy they wanted to. Especially since we wanted ground and pound. Kendrick Ellis I still have high hopes for so I think that was a good pick
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was listening to a local radio station and they were talking to Pete Carroll and it seemed as though they would be interested in finding a back-up for Russell Wilson that would have a bit more similar of a skill-set to him, as in someone that could run the read option. A Tebow for Flynn trade would make far too much sense though so we'll probably keep Tebow and draft Barkley in the 1st, too.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I was listening to a local radio station and they were talking to Pete Carroll and it seemed as though they would be interested in finding a back-up for Russell Wilson that would have a bit more similar of a skill-set to him, as in someone that could run the read option. A Tebow for Flynn trade would make far too much sense though so we'll probably keep Tebow and draft Barkley in the 1st, too.
Yea I heard that as well. If they would do that trade straight up I'd be doing backflips. I actually like Flynn and the Seahawks did to even in training camp they said it was a tight race between him and Wilson so he has some potential
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

I hear Jamarcus Russell is trying to make a comeback I'd KILL for him to be a Jet (Sarcasm)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Jets apparently considering shopping Revis. Wonder what they would get in return.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Quote:
Jets apparently considering shopping Revis. Wonder what they would get in return.
Definitely wouldn't get the value we deserve. I'd be pissed if we traded him
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Definitely wouldn't get the value we deserve. I'd be pissed if we traded him
Agreed, not a good time coming off of his injury. Apparently it creates more dead money against the cap too so they'll be worse off if they trade him than if they don't in that regard. I kind of see the purpose but I don't think they'll find the right deal. Would rather they trade Cro if anyone.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed, not a good time coming off of his injury. Apparently it creates more dead money against the cap too so they'll be worse off if they trade him than if they don't in that regard. I kind of see the purpose but I don't think they'll find the right deal. Would rather they trade Cro if anyone.
Yea as much as i like Cro I'd be more willing to trade him. He had a great year so his value has gone up. We could probably get a 2nd rounder for him.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I get the logic behind moving Revis, they're probably not going to be able to re-sign him and coming off of his injury there's no good, safe way to extend him. It would just be tough to swallow moving the team's best player, particularly in a sell low scenario where he's coming off of an injury. Might be best though if the team's really going to completely rebuild, but I don't think they're going to get enough for him for me to be happy about it.

I don't think they could get a two for Cro either although maybe I'm just pessimistic. I think a three maybe.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Yea trading away Revis would crush me Im still praying for a way to resign him. Weather were completely rebuilding or not hes got to stay a jet hes still very young. Same with Cro I think leaving our corners are a good foundation to build off of.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think both is excessive moving forward honestly, lots of money tied up in the corner position. As we saw this season, one should be enough. Pass defense wasn't the issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revis can be a Redskin, according to Jets' outcast traditional.

I doubt Jets will trade Revis for anything less than 1st round value. Until it happens, I ignore Revis update.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Not much reason to trade him for less. If they lose him as a FA they'll almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick and I think holding onto him for a season and a chance you re-sign him after is worth the gamble between a second and that. If you're getting less, move Cro instead who's locked into a pretty reasonable deal for a #1 corner. Revis doesn't rely on his athleticism as much as Cro either, he'll probably be good for awhile. Once Cro loses a step (or two, he's pretty damn fast) he'll be done.

Reportedly Revis doesn't want to be traded and would like to retire a Jet, which is cool.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Quote:
Not much reason to trade him for less. If they lose him as a FA they'll almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick and I think holding onto him for a season and a chance you re-sign him after is worth the gamble between a second and that. If you're getting less, move Cro instead who's locked into a pretty reasonable deal for a #1 corner. Revis doesn't rely on his athleticism as much as Cro either, he'll probably be good for awhile. Once Cro loses a step (or two, he's pretty damn fast) he'll be done.

Reportedly Revis doesn't want to be traded and would like to retire a Jet, which is cool.
Yea it was Revis's dream to be a jet he wants to remain here so hopefully we can make that happen. I would like nothing more then having him retire with us. And yea I was thinking the same thing. Revis is not only a year younger but he relies more on technique where Cro is just incredibly athletic. Athleticism is more easily replaced
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, they always say that. It makes them look good, and he probably does want to be with the Jets. But if he REALLY wanted to be with the Jets, and he wanted them to succeed, he would give them a discount so they could build a winner.

I do feel like this is my fault though. Whenever I buy jerseys of players, they leave the next year. Literally yesterday I bought a Revis jersey (I will update you on this because I bought it from some wholesaler thing in China which is kinda sketchy but it's the super nice new Nike ones that are usually $250 and I got it for $50). So... I'm sorry.

Anyway, if it was me, I wouldn't trade him away, simply because it means a lot as an organization to keep these great players you draft. I think it says something about your FO. But speaking from a financial perspective and a personnel perspective, he commands too much money at a position I don't find to really be important at all. I think corners are very easy to plug in, and while he's an all-world talent, players such as Champ or Nnamdi or virtually anyone else can very easily be made to look good or bad depending on the scheme and the pass rush. The only reason why CBs seem so important to us is because 1) Rex doesn't understand the strength of his own schemes, and 2) Tannenbaum understands nothing. If we had a great pass rush, even Kyle Wilson could sneak into a Pro Bowl.

As far as a trade, you would have to get a #1. Considering he's arguably a top 5 player in the league, young, and at what others consider a premium position, but then factoring in that he's coming off injury, but then being able to use the Adrian Peterson argument, I would say that you should expect a #1 and a #3. And I would probably take that. But if they do cut him and take that cap hit, they should weed out all of the bad apples, as in letting all of their free agents go beyond DeVito (and Slauson? If he wants to stay, why not) and cutting Holmes. Holmes is awful and, despite what some people in the NY media believe, is not an ideal fit for the WCO.

I do wonder if the draft is playing a part in this as well. As I noted, there are a lot of talented corners in this draft. I would put it past the Jets to know that, but maybe things are different. It would be too much to let both Revis and Cro go though. I will say that I would want Revis to retire with us. Eventually, however, that contract would probably kill us. We should just trade him to Buffalo. That would be hilarious.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
How would trading for Flynn make any sense at all? He's going to get cut and we could sign him cheap if we want him. His current contract is horrible we absolutely cannot trade for him considering out cap situation his cap number is at least 5 mil probably more his contract was 3 years for 27 mil or so, outrageous.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
How would trading for Flynn make any sense at all? He's going to get cut and we could sign him cheap if we want him. His current contract is horrible we absolutely cannot trade for him considering out cap situation his cap number is at least 5 mil probably more his contract was 3 years for 27 mil or so, outrageous.

This happened before Yahoo writer suggested Seahawks cutting Flynn would be likely.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Losing Revis is not a lock a 3rd round compensatory selection. I am sure Jets will be aggressive in free agency.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
How could you be so sure that we would be able to sign him for cheap? What about our current situation would be alluring over any other open QB competition currently in the NFL? On the books, his contract would be about 6 mil for the year. That's low-level starter money, but if you brought him in, it probably would be to compete for the starter position. If it doesn't work out next year, he'd only have one more year here before he would be cleared off the books. You would, without question, only do this if you believed he has the talents to work here, but I would trust in our scouting department and Idzik's insight (and personally, I've always liked Flynn, so I would be behind it). We're not even really sure Flynn will get cut. Wilson is barely being paid anything off his Rookie contract, so they can incur the cap hit of Flynn's contract. And, for all intents and purposes, he works just fine as their back-up. If we could get anything for Tebow, much less our future starter, that would actually make the whole endeavor seem marginally worthwhile (I thought it was worthwhile anyway, since it got Tannenbaum kicked out).
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
How could you be so sure that we would be able to sign him for cheap? What about our current situation would be alluring over any other open QB competition currently in the NFL? On the books, his contract would be about 6 mil for the year. That's low-level starter money, but if you brought him in, it probably would be to compete for the starter position. If it doesn't work out next year, he'd only have one more year here before he would be cleared off the books. You would, without question, only do this if you believed he has the talents to work here, but I would trust in our scouting department and Idzik's insight (and personally, I've always liked Flynn, so I would be behind it). We're not even really sure Flynn will get cut. Wilson is barely being paid anything off his Rookie contract, so they can incur the cap hit of Flynn's contract. And, for all intents and purposes, he works just fine as their back-up. If we could get anything for Tebow, much less our future starter, that would actually make the whole endeavor seem marginally worthwhile (I thought it was worthwhile anyway, since it got Tannenbaum kicked out).
I'm not sure we'd be able to sign him for cheap but considering we'll only have 9 mil of cap space to work with after making extensive cuts to players like pace Scott and Eric smith we'll have so many positions to fill with that 9 mil it just makes absolutely no sense to use 2/3rds of it on a qb who couldn't win a starting job over a 3rd rounder in preseason last year. I would be absolutely irate if we took on his contract, we need to trim the fat not eat more.