Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year?
Robert Griffin III 31 25.83%
Andrew Luck 48 40.00%
Russell Wilson 37 30.83%
Other 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

You must be really excited.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
You must be really excited.

Just validated the points Griffin supporters have made throughout this thread. It's not the official award but still a good accomplishment.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
Just validated the points Griffin supporters have made throughout this thread. It's not the official award but still a good accomplishment.
Bro, the only award you should care about is the Super Bowl. Don't waste energy on caring about all the other stuff. It's all irrelevant.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boxscorescouting.com
Posts: 5,630
Reputation: 1636615
AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I haven't posted in this thread for a good while because it was hurting my head, however I have on thing to say;

What does offensive rookie of the year actually mean?

Is it purely the best overall offensive player? Because I would be tempted to give that to Matt Kalil.

Is it based on wins?

Is it based on stats?

Is it based on efficiency?

Is it based on the eyeball test?

Is it the best QB? - Most likely

IMO it is obviously a mixture of numerous factors and this is why there is so much discussion/argument in this thread.

It's going to be one of the top QBs because QBs win these awards, however how do you separate them then?

Guys who like stats point to RG3 as the main guy. He has the completion percentage, the TD:INT ratio and the Redskins won with him.

Guys who view everything on watching each player perform in different circumstances and take those circumstances into account likely view either Luck or Wilson as the top guy.

I am definitely more in the second category because despite numerous websites who annotate every play and gather statistics being pretty successful, the NFL is not a game which can be clearly defined by a set of stats and rigid rules.

15/20 is 75% completion which is generally very good in the NFL. However that stat tells you very little.

Likewise, 9 for 17 on 3rd down is pretty good in the NFL however without context it is meaningless. Was it 3rd and 1, 3rd an 10 etc because it becomes a lot more difficult to determine what a player has done. Though on the flip side if a team has more 3rd and long situations the question that needs to be asked is why? Is it an issue with the running game, the passing game and/or both.

The issue with this vote is one group of people will be shown to be right and one wrong. However there is no right or wrong answer. Can RG3 be viewed as the top candidate for rookie of the year? In some ways he most certainly can. Can Andrew Luck? In someways definitely? Can Wilson? Yes. Can Morris? Yes. Can Kalil? Yes

The ambiguity of these awards is what really gets me. I had numerous discussions in the MVP thread because what defines "value?" This award is the same because it isn't a simple case of going player a was better than player b. If Andrew Luck wins the award it doesn't mean he is definitively better than RG3 or Wilson and that works in any which way you want to place them. It just means that the people who vote for this award thought in their criteria he was better than the others. But we don't know what their criteria is.

Do they gloss over Luck's completion % and turnover rate because he was asked to do more? Do they gloss over the fact that RG3 had the second leading rusher in the NFL and played in a controlled offense? Do they discount the first half of the season when talking about Russell Wilson?

I have said since about week 12 that Andrew Luck is the winner of the award IMO. I have explained my reasons for this and why it isn't anyone else. However I understand why people think it should be someone else (I disagree with a lot of it though). But if Luck wins the award it doesn't mean that I was right simply because people agreed with me, and likewise if RG3 wins it doesn't mean I was wrong because people disagree with me.

No matter who wins there will be people who come into this thread to either ***** and moan or gloat. Either way who cares? The award is basically meaningless. No rookie in contention won the Super Bowl and that's what matters. Whoever wins this award doesn't be guaranteed a great career. Whoever wins this award doesn't even mean they were the best offensive rookie.
__________________


BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Bro, the only award you should care about is the Super Bowl. Don't waste energy on caring about all the other stuff. It's all irrelevant.
This is a once in a career award. You get one shot at it so to me it's special. That and the way people act like Luck is superior to him irks me a bit because I used to be in the same boat and can admit I was wrong. This trophy along with the Heisman should at least give some indication to others that RG3 is better than Luck. That isn't to knock Luck, I think he's amazing, that's just a big pat on the back to RG3 because it takes a very special player to even be considered on the same level as Luck let alone someone giving him the edge in comparrison. Let's face it, both are studs, but RG3 had the Best year, possibly ever as a rookie. How's Luck supposed to compete with that?

If Griff hadn't hurt his knee in the 1st quarter of the Seahawks game we may have gone the distance. You could see something wasn't right after that roll out but it is what it is.

I think people put far too much emphasis on the SB. It's a great way to recognize an excellent team but it takes a lot of luck (and skill) to win one. It's not an easy thing to do and plenty of great QB's haven't won one. That will all reasonate someday though.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: R4L 3:16 says I just whipped your ass
Posts: 12,707
Reputation: 2783873
Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I think we should give it to the one who finished the season in one piece.
__________________

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.

Last edited by Raiderz4Life : 01-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,196
Reputation: 1111665
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

There probably won't ever be another year like this where so many deserving candidates are vying for OROTY. Usually it's more clear cut.

When's the last time 3 rookie QBs led their teams to the playoffs???
I'd bet never.
All threw for at least 20 TDs and over 3K yards. It's just a fluke type season that's why I don't look at the award this year as being career defining.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boxscorescouting.com
Posts: 5,630
Reputation: 1636615
AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
There probably won't ever be another year like this where so many deserving candidates are vying for OROTY. Usually it's more clear cut.

When's the last time 3 rookie QBs led their teams to the playoffs???
I'd bet never.
All threw for at least 20 TDs and over 3K yards. It's just a fluke type season that's why I don't look at the award this year as being career defining.
I think that's one of the big reasons why this thread has been going on for so long and gotten so heated at times. All 3 guys and others can have a legitimate argument made for them to win the award. You then look back at other years and sometimes guys pretty much win it by default
__________________


BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: niel89 on the go!
Posts: 613
Reputation: 147946
G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

In 3 years no one actually cares about RoY for their career. These threads have been a lively debate and there is no clear cut answer. The RoY becomes an interesting footnote on a guy wikipedia page if they are successful or if they are a failure.

Also Luck just got bumped to the pro bowl on an injury replacement. I swear at least a 1/4th of the rosters has been replaced now.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
xjxdarren
Rookie
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 169
Reputation: 87808
xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
In 3 years no one actually cares about RoY for their career. These threads have been a lively debate and there is no clear cut answer. The RoY becomes an interesting footnote on a guy wikipedia page if they are successful or if they are a failure.

Also Luck just got bumped to the pro bowl on an injury replacement. I swear at least a 1/4th of the rosters has been replaced now.
Luck's involvement is not due to the mass exodus that's been the convention, he was the first alternative anyway. When the playoffs started most would assume Luck would be automatically picked up for the actual game, because the only scenario that would prevent that was for Flacco or Dalton to go all the way.

I wonder with the huge success of the playing styles of Russell and Robert this year, if some other young mobile qbs who've had limited to moderate (but promising) effectiveness without being schematically used to reap rewards from their athletic ability, such as Locker or Tannehill, would be asked by their teams to do more of the same; or would they continue to be developing down the path that Andrew is on.
__________________
xjxdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Part of me wants to say that Russell Wilson was better than both of them.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Part of me wants to say that Russell Wilson was better than both of them.
I've got that itch too. He was great.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 996
Reputation: 147248
Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
Just validated the points Griffin supporters have made throughout this thread. It's not the official award but still a good accomplishment.
Then ONLY way that you can be validated in these threads is if Luck does not get a single vote in any of the awards. You have repeatedly knocked the luck supporters as being complete imbeciles for even contemplating that Luck could be thought of in the same sentence as Grifffin for the award.

If Luck even gets a slice of the votes, you have been proven wrong. The arguments in here were never about who would win, it was always about your complete inability to concede that what Luck was doing was even remotely as impressive as RG3.

This is why everyone has neg repped you (well, not me, but seemingly everyone else).
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

I don't buy for one second that the majority of posters supporting Luck have made their determination by watching all three and coming to that conclusion. It takes about 10 seconds of reading to realize that. I've now watched every snap of each QB (thanks to my wife being awesome and allowing me to record every game, though it costs a crap load).

RG3> or = Wilson>Luck

Luck did not 'do more' for the colts than they did for their teams (except for the first part of the season Wilson was brought along slowly). Granted Wilson played great the second half of the season.

A lot of the stuff people have said is the standard stuff people say when comparing a typical drop back passer in a traditional offense in college and a spread/option style QB.

Don't go through progressions
Can't read defenses
Only throws to one guy
Etc

If these guys watched as much football as they acted like they did they'd have a completely different tune.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I haven't posted in this thread for a good while because it was hurting my head, however I have on thing to say;

What does offensive rookie of the year actually mean?

Is it purely the best overall offensive player? Because I would be tempted to give that to Matt Kalil.

Is it based on wins?

Is it based on stats?

Is it based on efficiency?

Is it based on the eyeball test?

Is it the best QB? - Most likely

IMO it is obviously a mixture of numerous factors and this is why there is so much discussion/argument in this thread.

It's going to be one of the top QBs because QBs win these awards, however how do you separate them then?

Guys who like stats point to RG3 as the main guy. He has the completion percentage, the TD:INT ratio and the Redskins won with him.

Guys who view everything on watching each player perform in different circumstances and take those circumstances into account likely view either Luck or Wilson as the top guy.

I am definitely more in the second category because despite numerous websites who annotate every play and gather statistics being pretty successful, the NFL is not a game which can be clearly defined by a set of stats and rigid rules.

15/20 is 75% completion which is generally very good in the NFL. However that stat tells you very little.

Likewise, 9 for 17 on 3rd down is pretty good in the NFL however without context it is meaningless. Was it 3rd and 1, 3rd an 10 etc because it becomes a lot more difficult to determine what a player has done. Though on the flip side if a team has more 3rd and long situations the question that needs to be asked is why? Is it an issue with the running game, the passing game and/or both.

The issue with this vote is one group of people will be shown to be right and one wrong. However there is no right or wrong answer. Can RG3 be viewed as the top candidate for rookie of the year? In some ways he most certainly can. Can Andrew Luck? In someways definitely? Can Wilson? Yes. Can Morris? Yes. Can Kalil? Yes

The ambiguity of these awards is what really gets me. I had numerous discussions in the MVP thread because what defines "value?" This award is the same because it isn't a simple case of going player a was better than player b. If Andrew Luck wins the award it doesn't mean he is definitively better than RG3 or Wilson and that works in any which way you want to place them. It just means that the people who vote for this award thought in their criteria he was better than the others. But we don't know what their criteria is.

Do they gloss over Luck's completion % and turnover rate because he was asked to do more? Do they gloss over the fact that RG3 had the second leading rusher in the NFL and played in a controlled offense? Do they discount the first half of the season when talking about Russell Wilson?

I have said since about week 12 that Andrew Luck is the winner of the award IMO. I have explained my reasons for this and why it isn't anyone else. However I understand why people think it should be someone else (I disagree with a lot of it though). But if Luck wins the award it doesn't mean that I was right simply because people agreed with me, and likewise if RG3 wins it doesn't mean I was wrong because people disagree with me.

No matter who wins there will be people who come into this thread to either ***** and moan or gloat. Either way who cares? The award is basically meaningless. No rookie in contention won the Super Bowl and that's what matters. Whoever wins this award doesn't be guaranteed a great career. Whoever wins this award doesn't even mean they were the best offensive rookie.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Wilson had an interesting dynamic this year. I think to start the season he was clearly behind RGIII and Luck who were neck and neck for most of the seaosn.

But towards the end of the season, when Wilson put it all together, I can make a strong argument that he was the best of the 3. He was incredible, it was like he was best of both worlds (Luck and RGIII morphed into one player was 2nd half Russell Wilson).

Now how does that effect his ability to win this award? I think bc he had a slow start he won't win it. But I also feel that his peak was more impressive than both Luck and RGIII's peaks their rookie years.

But let's be real here, we're splitting hairs. All 3 of these guys were absolutely amazing. It will probably go down as the best qb class ever. 04 and 82 (?) are neck to neck right now, but this qb class should beat both of them.

It all depends on how many SBs come out of this draft class.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

I agree with a lot of this though I think Luck was easily the third best. Inconsistent is all I can really classify what I saw. He'd have a string of plays where you were in awe then the classic rookie brain lapses would occur and the most troubling part is he didn't learn from those mistakes.

Wilson's second half was statistically one of the finest half seasons of football by a QB ever -- But RG3 wasn't far behind him. And the fact RG3 had the more complete season is the only reason I think he's the winner. But injuries could be argued against him.

It really comes down to picking your poison.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Wilson had an interesting dynamic this year. I think to start the season he was clearly behind RGIII and Luck who were neck and neck for most of the seaosn.

But towards the end of the season, when Wilson put it all together, I can make a strong argument that he was the best of the 3. He was incredible, it was like he was best of both worlds (Luck and RGIII morphed into one player was 2nd half Russell Wilson).

Now how does that effect his ability to win this award? I think bc he had a slow start he won't win it. But I also feel that his peak was more impressive than both Luck and RGIII's peaks their rookie years.

But let's be real here, we're splitting hairs. All 3 of these guys were absolutely amazing. It will probably go down as the best qb class ever. 04 and 82 (?) are neck to neck right now, but this qb class should beat both of them.

It all depends on how many SBs come out of this draft class.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
xjxdarren
Rookie
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 169
Reputation: 87808
xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ide-receivers/
__________________
xjxdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,104
Reputation: 436488
XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjxdarren View Post
Thats because Luck's passes look similiar to this.



Ducks are hard to catch.
__________________
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
xjxdarren
Rookie
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 169
Reputation: 87808
xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
Thats because Luck's passes look similiar to this.



Ducks are hard to catch.
Good explanation. No wonder Stanford couldn't beat Oregon under Luck's helm. Ducks couldn't be beaten by their same kind could they.
__________________
xjxdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

I talked to the guy at AP who runs the award and the only criteria is they must be a rookie. The vote is based off of each individual voters opinion of the game tape, stats, hair cut, what ever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I haven't posted in this thread for a good while because it was hurting my head, however I have on thing to say;

What does offensive rookie of the year actually mean?

Is it purely the best overall offensive player? Because I would be tempted to give that to Matt Kalil.

Is it based on wins?

Is it based on stats?

Is it based on efficiency?

Is it based on the eyeball test?

Is it the best QB? - Most likely

IMO it is obviously a mixture of numerous factors and this is why there is so much discussion/argument in this thread.

It's going to be one of the top QBs because QBs win these awards, however how do you separate them then?

Guys who like stats point to RG3 as the main guy. He has the completion percentage, the TD:INT ratio and the Redskins won with him.

Guys who view everything on watching each player perform in different circumstances and take those circumstances into account likely view either Luck or Wilson as the top guy.

I am definitely more in the second category because despite numerous websites who annotate every play and gather statistics being pretty successful, the NFL is not a game which can be clearly defined by a set of stats and rigid rules.

15/20 is 75% completion which is generally very good in the NFL. However that stat tells you very little.

Likewise, 9 for 17 on 3rd down is pretty good in the NFL however without context it is meaningless. Was it 3rd and 1, 3rd an 10 etc because it becomes a lot more difficult to determine what a player has done. Though on the flip side if a team has more 3rd and long situations the question that needs to be asked is why? Is it an issue with the running game, the passing game and/or both.

The issue with this vote is one group of people will be shown to be right and one wrong. However there is no right or wrong answer. Can RG3 be viewed as the top candidate for rookie of the year? In some ways he most certainly can. Can Andrew Luck? In someways definitely? Can Wilson? Yes. Can Morris? Yes. Can Kalil? Yes

The ambiguity of these awards is what really gets me. I had numerous discussions in the MVP thread because what defines "value?" This award is the same because it isn't a simple case of going player a was better than player b. If Andrew Luck wins the award it doesn't mean he is definitively better than RG3 or Wilson and that works in any which way you want to place them. It just means that the people who vote for this award thought in their criteria he was better than the others. But we don't know what their criteria is.

Do they gloss over Luck's completion % and turnover rate because he was asked to do more? Do they gloss over the fact that RG3 had the second leading rusher in the NFL and played in a controlled offense? Do they discount the first half of the season when talking about Russell Wilson?

I have said since about week 12 that Andrew Luck is the winner of the award IMO. I have explained my reasons for this and why it isn't anyone else. However I understand why people think it should be someone else (I disagree with a lot of it though). But if Luck wins the award it doesn't mean that I was right simply because people agreed with me, and likewise if RG3 wins it doesn't mean I was wrong because people disagree with me.

No matter who wins there will be people who come into this thread to either ***** and moan or gloat. Either way who cares? The award is basically meaningless. No rookie in contention won the Super Bowl and that's what matters. Whoever wins this award doesn't be guaranteed a great career. Whoever wins this award doesn't even mean they were the best offensive rookie.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,758
Reputation: 1970779
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
I don't buy for one second that the majority of posters supporting Luck have made their determination by watching all three and coming to that conclusion. It takes about 10 seconds of reading to realize that. I've now watched every snap of each QB (thanks to my wife being awesome and allowing me to record every game, though it costs a crap load).
Is this all you do now? Talk about how nobody else here has seen every snap of all 3 QB's and you have so your opinion>anybody on a forum? The same forum you consistently post on. Always love when people throw this out there...
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,298
Reputation: 1386959
Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Is this all you do now? Talk about how nobody else here has seen every snap of all 3 QB's and you have so your opinion>anybody on a forum? The same forum you consistently post on. Always love when people throw this out there...
He watches every snap and yet he doesn't see that the Redskins and Seahawks relied heavily on their league topping rushing attacks rather than on the arm of their quarterback.

He is, and has been, an uber persistent Redskins homer in every single conversation throughout the season. It is not shocking that he has to validate his opinion with frivolity.

As the conversation has been from the start the award winner is dependent on your viewpoint of the award.

MVP: Luck

Efficiency: RGIII

Eye Test: Wilson


To be quite frank if you don't view this as a 3-way-tie you're being a homer in one direction or another. To say that any of the three candidates doesn't belong is cherry picking. Hell one quick "they don't belong" quote for each.

Luck: LOOK AT THE TURNOVERZZZ - (Close second: Efficiency...)

RGIII: #1 RUSHING ATTACKZZZZ - (Close second: 3rd down and punt)

Wilson: BEAAASSST MODEZZZ - (Close second: Attempts 2.167 passes per game)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,361
Reputation: 1864822
Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Russell Wilson named NFL.com Rookie of the Year.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 246
Reputation: 26822
flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Never known a year like it. There were 5 players all worthy of winning this year. Morris and Kalil have compelling cases in any normal year.

You can choose any one of Luck, RG3 and Wilson and be happy with the pick.

As a Redskins fan it was electric watching Griffin this year but I would not have grumbled at any of them winning.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Titletown USA
Posts: 9,258
Reputation: 1345807
J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
So you can get a franchise QB beyond the first 5 picks?

Congrats to Wilson, well-deserved.
The kid has poise.
He's smart.
He works hard.
He has a good arm, throws a lovely deep ball.
He has the athletic gene.
And he's a nice dude.

He was on the best team though, with a great RB and great defense. His job was a lot easier than Andy or Robert.
And Alfreddy Morris.... that guy took a beating and kept on going.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Wilson, Griffin, or Morris.
Luck was too up & down to justify over any of these guys, and the voters I believe had it right. Nothing against Luck, his overall performance was inferior to the 2 athletic QB's who did win the rookie awards.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.