Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

A guy who seems to be making a surge up draft boards and on the internet if Lane Johnson.

What can people tell me about him?

Does he have LT ability?

Could he sneak into the 1st or 2nd round?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very inconsistent results, not a great run blocker, looks athletic but gets moved to RT quite a bit. I think he'll go in the third round or so.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Very inconsistent results, not a great run blocker, looks athletic but gets moved to RT quite a bit. I think he'll go in the third round or so.
I came way more impressed from what I saw.

He moved well and had a nice base.

I did not understand why he was moved to RT against West Virginia? The RT [79] leaves the game and Johnson flips over and 71 comes into the game. Then against Kansas St he plays the entire game at LT and does pretty well.

Last edited by JohnCandy : 11-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
RCSooner
Rookie

RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, he's the top senior tackle prospect in this draft. He held Notre Dame's Stephon Tuitt to just one tackle.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSooner View Post
Yes, he's the top senior tackle prospect in this draft. He held Notre Dame's Stephon Tuitt to just one tackle.
There are a number of people who seem very critical of him and mostly his movement skills.

I have like what I have seen.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
There are a number of people who seem very critical of him and mostly his movement skills.

I have like what I have seen.
Johnson was a JUCO QB, and was recruited as a TE. Movement skills are probably one of his biggest strengths.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 AM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I came way more impressed from what I saw.

He moved well and had a nice base.

I did not understand why he was moved to RT against West Virginia? The RT [79] leaves the game and Johnson flips over and 71 comes into the game. Then against Kansas St he plays the entire game at LT and does pretty well.
He played RT tackle all last season. Coaches probably just felt more comfortable with him playing RT than the 3rd tackle.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Once he puts on more weight, and gains more strength he will be a solid run blocker, and great in pass pro. The guy was a JUCO QB, and was recruited to play TE. He switched to DE, and then finally ended up at OT. He has only been playing OT for about 3 years now.

He started all last year at RT due to Donald Stephenson being the LT. He moved to LT this year, and pretty much plays that position unless OU goes jumbo.

As far as consistency goes I question whether you watch the guy. He whipped Jackson Jeffcoat from Texas, and more than held his own against Tuitt from ND.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

I guess the real question is at this time next year are we talking about Lane Johnson as a solid LT?

For a team like the Bears who could use an upgrade at LT and are picking so late in round 1 is he a possible target?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

I am watching Johnson right now and a couple of quick impressions,

-His body is always in good position because of his athletic ability. He always has the DE in the middle of his body and does not give up and edge.

-He needs to get stronger and use his punch more because he is athletic enough to force the bull rush.

-He needs more experience and coaching as he missed a couple of stunts.

But overall I am impressed by his body position, which is 80% of pass protection.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Just dominated the run block for the Damien Williams huge TD run.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardlionfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVScout
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVScout
No way is he first rounder. Needs some tech work and time in the weight room. Late second.
I guess the real question is at this time next year are we talking about Lane Johnson as a solid LT?

For a team like the Bears who could use an upgrade at LT and are picking so late in round 1 is he a possible target?
If you are looking for rookie starter it should be Eric Fisher. For a longer term prospect with more upside it would be Johnson.
I am watching Johnson right now and a couple of quick impressions,

-His body is always in good position because of his athletic ability. He always has the DE in the middle of his body and does not give up and edge.

-He needs to get stronger and use his punch more because he is athletic enough to force the bull rush.

-He needs more experience and coaching as he missed a couple of stunts.

But overall I am impressed by his body position, which is 80% of pass protection.
When judging him people have to remember this young man didnt play tackle until last season on the right side.

When you consider he has played QB, DE, TE, RT and now this season LT his performance is more impressive. He is an excellent student and I have never heard of any character concerns.

He has added some weight and should add more once on an NFL weight program.

It's a crap shoot at this point where he gets drafted but I think whoever gets him is going to get a versatile hard working player who I expect has the ability to be a very effective starter in two years.
He reminds me a lot of Nate Solder in the fact that he just needs reps.

Solder smoothed out the rough edges and now looks like a stud because the one thing that you cannot coach is athletic ability.

I could see Lane Johnson making his way into the late 1st for a team in need of a LT.

But I doubt a guy with this base to work with gets out of the 2nd round.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched Johnson closely in the Cotton Bowl and was very impressed. Huge frame with long arms and excellent feet. Definitely a Top 100 talent. However, I think the first round talk is a little much. Too much work to do from a physical (bulk / strength), fundamentals and temperament standpoint to go that early. More of a finesse type and needs to get nastier.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I watched Johnson closely in the Cotton Bowl and was very impressed. Huge frame with long arms and excellent feet. Definitely a Top 100 talent. However, I think the first round talk is a little much. Too much work to do from a physical (bulk / strength), fundamentals and temperament standpoint to go that early. More of a finesse type and needs to get nastier.
You brought him to my attention and i was more than impressed with his performance against the Aggies. When they moved Damontre Moore over to his side, which was quite a bit actually, i thought Johnson won all those battles. If someone didn't know they might not have seen a lot of differance between him and Joeckel/Matthews.

As for his draft status i think he can make some strides at the Senior Bowl and the combine. Hard to see him jumping over the top 3 or 4 guys (Joeckel, Lewan, Fisher but he may be able to get into that late first early second, being he looks like, to me at least, that he is very comfortable at LT.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
RCSooner
Rookie

RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCSooner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
He should be a first-round pick, Scott. LTs come at high value in the draft these days. He will be the second or third offensive tackle taken in this year's draft.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

How does he compare to Justin Pugh?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How does he compare to Justin Pugh?
I think Johnson is more athletic and looks the part of a franchise LT and Pugh is a mauler type - not the prettiest looking athlete but gets the job done. I like both of these guys alot.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saw him interviewed today on NFL Network....Was a QB in Junior College and runs a 4.75 40 =0 damn!! Sick athlete. Here is a youtube video of him doing a reverse dunk...holy cow. Def an athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xhgi37KANc

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-24-2013 at 02:27 AM.
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'll be a late 1st rounder, as RC Sooner said, LT's are hard to come by and this guy has a huge upside.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

I bet if Fisher goes top 10 that Lane Johnson goes 11 to San Diego or 16 to the Rams.

LTs are hard to find and he is on the Nate Solder path right now.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
JustisM
Rookie

JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the perfect guy for Oregon's system. If Chip does decide to go OL in the first maybe he takes a look at Lane Johnson?
JustisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustisM View Post
Looks like the perfect guy for Oregon's system. If Chip does decide to go OL in the first maybe he takes a look at Lane Johnson?
So you're expecting some trade activity, which is entirely possible when a new coach comes in with a long term deal.

I think Lane Johnson could turn out something in the line of a Joe Staley, a guy who was very athletic and needed to add some lbs. Having said that i think somewhere in the 20s is a realistic hope for his supporters.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I imagine Chicago is his floor.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He won't get past the Rams first first round pick.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
He won't get past the Rams first first round pick.
That's kind of what i'm thinking. If the Rams had someone like Warmack fall to them they might think he's a better player, they do need some help at guard too.