Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I was merely saying that there is a distinction because ambitious/artistic and pretentious. Obviously it was sarcasm, but to basically say that PTA and Wes Anderson are perfect examples of pretentious is ludicrous as far as I'm concerned.

And just because Kubrick is a genius doesn't mean aspects of 2001 weren't pretentious. That also doesn't mean 2001 isn't great.
If VikesEJ actually thinks PTA and Wes Anderson are pretentious he either has no idea what he is talking about or is a mental midget.

I get your point about 2001 but I disagree that aspects were pretentious. Ambitious, groundbreaking, and unprecedented sure but I think everything about that movie is perfect. I don't mean to turn it into an argument though, you seem to be knowledgeable about film so I can respect where you are coming from.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm not too stoked on the new abrams/star wars movie, could end up being just another generic summer flick like star trek, avengers series, the dark knight, etc. which have no staying power.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
i'm not too stoked on the new abrams/star wars movie, could end up being just another generic summer flick like star trek, avengers series, the dark knight, etc. which have no staying power.
The Avengers and The Dark Knight have no staying power? Really?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
If VikesEJ actually thinks PTA and Wes Anderson are pretentious he either has no idea what he is talking about or is a mental midget.

I get your point about 2001 but I disagree that aspects were pretentious. Ambitious, groundbreaking, and unprecedented sure but I think everything about that movie is perfect. I don't mean to turn it into an argument though, you seem to be knowledgeable about film so I can respect where you are coming from.
Thank you for the compliment and for that, I will rewatch it rather than arguing.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The Avengers and The Dark Knight have no staying power? Really?
no, i don't think so. 5-10 years from now i don't see those 2 movies being too relevant. TDK might have a bit of cult status, but only due to Ledger's joker. and i just see the avengers as a generic popcorn flick, which don't have staying power, do they?

super hero flicks are just too common nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Thank you for the compliment and for that, I will rewatch it rather than arguing.
this is regarding 2001, right? the movie makes much more sense (less pretentious?) if you read the book. it's an easy read, too.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
no, i don't think so. 5-10 years from now i don't see those 2 movies being too relevant. TDK might have a bit of cult status, but only due to Ledger's joker. and i just see the avengers as a generic popcorn flick, which don't have staying power, do they?

this is regarding 2001, right? the movie makes much more sense (less pretentious?) if you read the book. it's an easy read, too.
It's so amazing to me that Stanley Kubrcik wrote that book with Arthur C. Clarke. The most talented ******* director known to man is also a talented writer (I mean I know he can write a brilliant script but writing a novel is a whole different beast).
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ever since the writer strike, or maybe before that movies have went down hill, or scripts and ideas.

They are making more and more fairy tale movies, nothing original or creative.

I just saw Jack and the bean stock trailer, really? you are going to make a movie about that?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

-If people still ******* remember Independence Day now, they'll remember The Avengers

-TDK revolutionized superhero movies just like Superman 2, and guess what, that's still remembered

You lose again.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
ever since the writer strike, or maybe before that movies have went down hill, or scripts and ideas.

They are making more and more fairy tale movies, nothing original or creative.

I just saw Jack and the bean stock trailer, really? you are going to make a movie about that?
Hollywood is the epitome of unoriginality, and were just as much to blame for that. Were still paying top dollar to see the same damn movies with the same damn happy endings. Can't really blame them for continuing to pump that **** out when were just eating it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stopped watching movies in theaters. Wait for DVD...which then i don't buy, but still watch.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make friends with people that work at indie theaters. Best way to watch + not paying + good movies.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saw The Gangster Squad a few days ago. A good amount of cliches and cheesiness, yeah. But it kept my attention and entertained me. I felt it had some consistent underlying tension, even with mostly poorly developed characters. It was a lot more stylized than I expected, which was cool. Had a couple of decent action sequences, with the car chase being real fun. Average movie, all in all.

Going to see Silver Linings Playbook tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cloud Atlas is coming out on DVD in a couple of weeks. Want to reiterate that it is a great movie.

Saw Perks of Being a Wallflower. Not a bad movie.

But Cloud Atlas. See it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nahhhh, you really don't need to.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

I saw Hanna on HBO, good movie.

Oh yeah I recently saw Zero Dark Thirty, had to see it in theaters with other people. It was an alright movie, it wasn't a suspenseful movie, or action movie. More like a well done documentary, I guess?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I saw Hanna on HBO, good movie.

Oh yeah I recently saw Zero Dark Thirty, had to see it in theaters with other people. It was an alright movie, it wasn't a suspenseful movie, or action movie. More like a well done documentary, I guess?
It was a good movie with Jessica Chastain delivering an incredible performance. If Jennifer Lawrence was not so good in SLP I would be all for Chastain winning Best Actress.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally saw The Hobbit last night. Was a very good movie. A little slow in the begging ( normal ) But an overall great film. can't wait for the next one!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
It was a good movie with Jessica Chastain delivering an incredible performance. If Jennifer Lawrence was not so good in SLP I would be all for Chastain winning Best Actress.
I haven't seen SLP, but I have hated Lawrence in every role, even Winter's Bone. Everyone is saying she is good in it but I cannot believe them because I have only seen her be below average.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

I didn't think she was amazing...and crying like a beeotch at the end didn't help her case.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Avengers was a superhero popcorn movie, but it might be the epitome of what that type of movie can be. It's not gritty and dramatic like TDK, but it is funny, flashy, has great effects/action, and manages a star studded cast well. It has set the new bar for a superhero blockbuster for me.

Something doesn't need to be heavy and dramatic to have a lasting impression on a viewer. As mentioned before, Independence Day probably wasn't that great, but I love that movie and will remember it fondly for a long time. Sometimes I want to play Final Fantasy and get deep into a story and other times I want to just play Metal Slug and go nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Indepencde Day was an awesome movie i agree. I dunno what it was about the movie but ir was a fun movie to watch .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
The Avengers was a superhero popcorn movie, but it might be the epitome of what that type of movie can be. It's not gritty and dramatic like TDK, but it is funny, flashy, has great effects/action, and manages a star studded cast well. It has set the new bar for a superhero blockbuster for me.

Something doesn't need to be heavy and dramatic to have a lasting impression on a viewer. As mentioned before, Independence Day probably wasn't that great, but I love that movie and will remember it fondly for a long time. Sometimes I want to play Final Fantasy and get deep into a story and other times I want to just play Metal Slug and go nuts.
You do know where you are right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Indepencde Day was an awesome movie i agree. I dunno what it was about the movie but ir was a fun movie to watch .
Adam Baldwin

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
By far the best troll flying under the radar. I like you.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Silver Linings Playbook was fantastic. So much I'd like to say about it, but for now I'll just say that Bradley Cooper somehow portrayed one of the most likable characters of the past couple years, which I am very glad to see. Awesome job.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am in love with Jennifer Lawrence, so I want to see SLP pretty bad.. and you see it without me McGee. Real cool bro, real cool.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote